• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well I've got it preordered but I still don't have the faintest clue how the PC-version looks/performs/holds up .....

Barakov

I enjoyed the hell out of the demo. I'm going to be there day 1 for this.

And ugh @ at this using GFWL. :/

This was going to be a day one purchase for me. But I just found out that Muchi-Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets is region free. A Cave shmup trumps this awesome FPS in my eyes.

But I'll be renting it from Gamefly, at least.

Seems like a game to pick up during a severe drought. Maybe ill pick this up when it hits $15-20 and coop with some friends over live. Never will I buy an FPS game for $60 that does not have Half Life in the title.

Bernbaum

Why For? said:
Yeah demo didn't really sell me on this.
Yup, the demo put me off it.

There's clearly a large number of people who will get exactly what they want from this and I'm happy to see FPS games go in this direction, but the whole leaderboard-focussed pointsfest just doesn't cater to what I value in a single-player shooter.

S1kkZ

Bernbaum said:

There's clearly a large number of people who will get exactly what they want from this and I'm happy to see FPS games go in this direction, but the whole leaderboard-focussed pointsfest just doesn't cater to what I value in a single-player shooter.
and there is an even larger amount of people that dont understand that the demo only showed the score attack/echoes mode.

Plissken

Fucking GFWL? I am disappointed Epic/PCF, this just went from a Day 1 purchase to a Holiday 2011 $10 Steam sale for me.

Aske

Bernbaum said:

The demo isn't representative of the single player campaign at all. It's just a score attack level. Imagine judging a Devil May Cry game after playing Bloody Palace, or Resident Evil after playing a single Mercenaries map.

Bulletstorm is no more of a score attack game than Devil May Cry. Be stylish, get points, spend points to increase your abilities. And if score attack gameplay is important to you, there happens to be a bonus mode for that too.

I enjoyed the demo but I wasn't a huge fan of the scoring system. It felt more like checking items off of a check list rather than organically playing skillfully.

I'll pick it up on 360 once we hear more about the Gears 3 beta and then grab the PC version in a sale down the line.

Gassey

Banned
(Some of) the previews had me interested, but I thought the demo was a vile POS. Swapping weapons was slow, controls were shit, simply not fun. Honestly I'm hoping this tanks or we'll see a whole load of "SHIT TALKIN'" video game promotions.

This video just made me uncomfortable. These two probably have children:...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ni4PIb5dcQ

I'm in the camp that thought the whole single player was score orientated, ala The Club, until I came on GAF, haha.

It was fun, but maybe a bad choice for a demo.

Can't wait to crank this up on full on my PC. Such a nice looking game even on consoles.

Veelk

Banned
Gassey said:
This video just made me uncomfortable. These two probably have children

Yes, because you are under moral obligation to stay away from all mature games, movies, books, songs, and all other forms of media until your children reach the appropriate age. Because, you know, you can't just tell them not to get this stuff because they aren't old enough yet.

Aske

Generic said:
Yes, because you are under moral obligation to stay away from all mature games, movies, books, songs, and all other forms of media until your children reach the appropriate age. Because, you know, you can't just tell them not to get this stuff because they aren't old enough yet.

It's more the way the talking heads are directed and told to act. They look like they're advertising toothpaste in the film, but then they start getting pumped about killing and cursing. They do come off a bit like 'parents' trying to be badass, meaning upstanding individuals going against who they are for the sake of appearing a certain way. Bit of 'rapping granny' syndrome to the whole thing.

But all the footage of the game looks awesome as all hell.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
S1kkZ said:
and there is an even larger amount of people that dont understand that the demo only showed the score attack/echoes mode.

And it is people's fault they are building an opinion of a game based on what they played? The demo is supposed to give gamers a taste of what the rest of the game is. That allows people to decide if they want it.

Maybe they should have included more, maybe some kind of video describing the rest of the game should have been in the demo. Hoping that people will hunt down details on a game when a demo is right in your face doesn't work.

Aske

dskillzhtown said:
And it is people's fault they are building an opinion of a game based on what they played? The demo is supposed to give gamers a taste of what the rest of the game is. That allows people to decide if they want it.

Maybe they should have included more, maybe some kind of video describing the rest of the game should have been in the demo. Hoping that people will hunt down details on a game when a demo is right in your face doesn't work.

It's there, but it's easily missed and easily skipped. Plenty of demos fail to convey anything meaningful about games. Remember how awful Dead Space and Dead Rising's demos were? They seemed to think that if you just let players kill a pile of monsters in a small area with no context or mission structure, they'll be hooked. Both demos were regarded as universally lousy, but the games still succeeded on their own merits. Bulletstorm could have done a much better job of conveying the true single-player experience; but at the same time, the demo does a great job of showing off the combat mechanics, and explaining why the game is fundamentally different to other shooters.

Teknoman

dskillzhtown said:

Well there was a tutorial video before you play the demo and a trailer for the campaign after the demo (without spoiling too much).

I think the tutorial video even mentions that you're just playing a score attack mode with easier enemies...but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Yeah DS1 demo was horrible. DS2 demo was better in easing players into the game mechanics without being too hard.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
60$ and GFWL made me go from day one purchase on Steam, to maybe on Xbox, to who am I kidding I suck with a controller, to shame I'll never end up playing this gem.

Barrett2

This, KZ3 and De Blob 2 all on the same day?

Damn.

I have the PS3 version ordered on Amazon. Is the 360 version substantially better, anyone, or am i ok with the PS3 version?

JRW

Framerate turned me off on both 360/PS3 demos but I didnt realize its also coming for PC, Im sold. 60fps ftw.

Teknoman

Mr. Snrub said:
Is this being touted as a "plus" nowadays?

It is when Games for Windows live is involved. When playing Fallout 3, I couldnt access my save without being logged in. Of course i'm not sure if thats the same as whats being said about Bulletstorm.

seat

dskillzhtown said:

Yeah, it was definitely the sole aspect that was focused on in the demo. I was going to avoid this title until I read this page. Now, I'll definitely give Bulletstorm a rent once it's out.

burgerdog

lawblob said:
This, KZ3 and De Blob 2 all on the same day?

Damn.

I have the PS3 version ordered on Amazon. Is the 360 version substantially better, anyone, or am i ok with the PS3 version?
If you have a 360 that's the version you should get. Apparently the ps3 version is missing the awesome god rays and you get into the gears 3 beta. If you have a gaming pc, though, you should get it for that.

Teknoman

seat said:
Yeah, it was definitely the sole aspect that was focused on in the demo. I was going to avoid this title until I read this page. Now, I'll definitely give Bulletstorm a rent once it's out.

Maybe, but the trailer at the end of the demo should've shown that the game was going to be an actual story driven/stage progression first person shooter at it's core, with the score system a side thing.

Top Bottom