• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bullied Kid records incident. Get charged with Felony Wiretapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotBot

States with "One party Consent" for audio recording

Alabama - One Party
Alaska - One Party
Arizona - One Party
Arkansas - One Party
Colorado - One Party
District of Columbia - One Party
Georgia - One Party
Idaho - One Party
Indiana - One Party
Iowa - One Party
Kentucky - One Party
Louisiana - One Party
Maine - One Party
Minnesota - One Party
Mississippi - One Party
Missouri - One Party
Minnesota - One Party
Nebraska - One Party
New Jersey - One Party
New Mexico - One Party
New York - One Party
North Carolina - One Party
North Dakota - One Party
Oklahoma - One Party
Oregon - One Party
Ohio - One Party
Rhode Island - One Party
South Carolina - One Party
South Dakota - One Party
Tennessee - One Party
Texas - One Party
Vermont - One Party
Virginia - One Party
West Virginia - One Party
Wisconsin - One Party
Wyoming - One Party

States with "Two party Consent" for audio recording

California - Two Party
Connecticut - Two Party
Delaware - Two Party
Florida - Two Party
Hawaii - Two Party
Illinois - Two Party
Kansas - Two Party
Maryland - Two Party
Massachusetts - Two Party
Michigan - Two Party
Montana - Two Party
Nevada - Two Party
New Hampshire - Two Party
Pennsylvania - Two Party
Utah - Two Party
Washington - Two Party

Too bad he lives in PA.

No one cares about justice anymore. They just care about following the law even when it directly prevents justice from being done. I hope the bullies and staff involved all suffer extreme injuries from natural causes very soon.

hwalker84

OP, what's the vibe from your local community etc? Are they outraged?

No one even knows. It's like they're sweeping this under the rug. South Fayette is one of the darling communities in the area. Extremely high taxes. Massive university like high school campus.

I posted this on my facebook and tons of my friends are sharing it. Hopefully we get this on the evening news.

Lo-Volt

I suspect a lot of bullied people feel the 'authorities' are either unable to stop the abuse or are even more actively supportive of the little brats dealing it out. And I, for one, feel more suspicious about 'authority' because of experiences like that. Thanks for proving us right, jerks.

charsace

You guys and your violent fantasies. *sigh*

lol at violent fantasy. I'm not good looking, but I am out going and generally good at making friends. My parents gave me a speech about how important my HS transcript would be for college (lol) so for the first month of HS I let 5 or so "cool" guys make fun of me. I would fire back at them, but one time one of the guys slapped me during lunch because he said something to me and I fired back as usual. Then he called me a bitch and told me not to talk back. I got up, told him to watch his back, and left. I avoided them for two weeks to let them get comfortable.

I got my hands on some pepper spray and caught him and one of the other guys with it on stairwell. I sprayed them both. I punched both of them and then stomped them out. I kicked the dude who slapped me down a flight of stairs and then let them both know that have family who would make them disappear if I told them what they were doing to me. they didn't bother me after that.

lol at violent fantasy. I'm not good looking, but I am out going and generally good at making friends. My parents gave me a speech about how important my HS transcript would be for college (lol) so for the first month of HS I let 5 or so "cool" guys make fun of me. I would fire back at them, but one time one of the guys slapped me during lunch because he said something to me and I fired back as usual. Then he called me a bitch and told me not to talk back. I got up, told him to watch his back, and left. I avoided them for two weeks to let them get comfortable.

I got my hands on some pepper spray and caught him and one of the other guys with it on stairwell. I sprayed them both. I punched both of them and then stomped them out. I kicked the dude who slapped me down a flight of stairs and then let them both know that have family who would make them disappear if I told them what they were doing to me. they didn't bother me after that.
7f5.gif

This kind of happened to my girlfriend in high school. Some girl was threatening her life over and over calling and showing up at her house. I forgot exactly why but it had something to do with the fact that this girl was having sex with one of the teachers. Reported it to the police but they were basically like "Call us when she shows up with a gun. Otherwise we can't help you.". So she recorded one of the threatening calls and when she presented the evidence they charged her with illegal recording or whatever. Had to jump through a lot of hoops to get that dropped from her record. Even though she was a juvenile, it would still randomly pop up during background checks from time to time. I forgot exactly what happened to the girl but iirc she got hers eventually and the teacher was exposed as well.

EDIT: I just remembered what happened to the teacher which is probably more fucked up. Obviously they relieved him of his teaching position but they then put him in an administration one where he wasn't working with kinds. So effectively they promoted him.

Ender is that you?

kaioshade

Woah man. Even as a joke, people should stop to just want to kill everybody who does something wrong.

There is wrong, and there is completely fucked up. The bullies need to stop getting away with these things. And the fact that the adults allow this to happen, unchecked and punish the victim? They need to be erased from this world.

charsace

People love to say "it just 4 years you will grow up and then you can move on," like its nothing. Its hard to let go of 4 years of verbal and/or physical abuse. I've seen kids end up with black and blue faces or bodies in HS from bullying. Even a few broken bones. Then that kid returns with the cast only to have the "friends" that caused him to break something write shit like fag on it. Whenever kids get bullied they have to be prepared to escalate things before the bullies do. And in most cases the bullies will escalate things because if they feel like they aren't getting to you or that you are trying to stand up for yourself, they don't back off like in movies or tv shows. In most cases bullies get mad and will do more to try and embarrass you. Even if that means physically hurting you.

Ender is that you?
That's just me not letting someone take advantage of me for their own entertainment. In HS I could give a fuck if someone had a bad home life or whatever people like to claim so that bullies get sympathy. Being in a shitty situation doesn't mean you get to talk shit to me and put your hands on me so that you feel better and also feel like you're superior to someone else.

kess

The judge is a total moron.

School administrators really, really, don't like being embarrassed, and aren't above using a lost education as a punitive measure.

Zoe

A lot of people are scoffing at the idea of privacy in a public school, but has that ever been established legally? It's certainly not public grounds--access is restricted.

Blackage

On one hand, you plotted and schemed revenge for 2 weeks, that's kinda scary.

On the other hand, I don't have any sympathy for the victims of your vengeance, so well played.

Chromax

How come this kid can get in trouble for this kind of stuff but it's a-ok for that youtube guy to go around filming people in their house?

Ri'Orius

While the punishment sounds out of proportion, it also sounds like neither the kid nor his mom went about this the right way. First you go to the teacher in the classroom. If that doesn't work, go to a teacher you like and trust. If that doesn't work, have the parent email the principal.

Now, it sounds like the principal in question would've given them the run-around. That's when you get into evidence collection. Now the principal has your complaints on file, and you rub his nose in the proof. The principal sounds like an idiot so he probably would've reacted similarly, but now you're before a judge who can't say

I know that, and that you guys [school administrators] would handle that, you know. To go to this extreme, you know, it was the only alternative or something like that, but you weren’t made aware of that and that was kind of what I was curious about. Because it’s not tolerated, but you need to go through — let the school handle it.

And yeah, the bullies and teacher should totally be on the hook as well.

Anyway, my advice is certainly colored by the fact that my school environment was fine, teachers were generally reasonable (not that I thought that at the time, of course). But even if those in power are incompetent, it's still important to go through the motions with a paper trail. Taking matters into your own hands before going through the proper procedure is asking for trouble.

charsace

On one hand, you plotted and schemed revenge for 2 weeks, that's kinda scary.

On the other hand, I don't have any sympathy for the victims of your vengeance, so well played.

Some people love to assume that if you aren't good looking you don't have an alpha personality like movies always portray. This applies more so to HS. Some times you have to get extreme to show people that you aren't someone that they should try to take step of.

iammeiam

Anyway, my advice is certainly colored by the fact that my school environment was fine, teachers were generally reasonable (not that I thought that at the time, of course). But even if those in power are incompetent, it's still important to go through the motions with a paper trail. Taking matters into your own hands before going through the proper procedure is asking for trouble.

If you believe what the kid's saying, he made the recording specifically to play for his mother to convince her he wasn't making up or exaggerating the amount of bullying. His mother herself has said she did not, prior to hearing the recording, understand how bad it was. He also says he tried to discourage her from doing anything with the recording, but was obviously unsuccessful. She then lodged a formal complaint with the school (she says she's e-mailed the specific teacher on multiple occasions in the past regarding issues with students), and the school's apparent immediate reaction was to start telling people that the mother had slipped a recording device into her kid's bag.

I have a really hard time faulting a kid for, essentially, trying to get his mom on his side.

Wait a fucking second.

Isn't Pennsylvania also the state where a school officials were caught having installed spyware on student laptops and using it to peep at underage children in their bedrooms, via webcam?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbins_v._Lower_Merion_School_District

Why, yes. yes, it was.

What the fuck, Pennsylvania? How the fuck does THAT not violate wiretapping laws?

Also, Bam Margera! Thanks for foisting him on us, Pennsylvania.

Isn't Pennsylvania the state where a corrupt judge in cahoots with for-profit juvenile detention centers and jails put minors away for years for misdemeanor crimes such as having a small amount of weed or alcohol on them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Yes, why yes it is. The place is a fucking backwards shithole outside of Philly (even Philly is backwards sometimes). I lived there for 4 years going to undergrad. I know.

This school should be shut down and inspected from top to bottom. This is outrageous, poor kid shouldn't be subjected to school-authorized bullying.

mernst23

Isn't Pennsylvania the state where a corrupt judge in cahoots with for-profit juvenile detention centers and jails put minors away for years for misdemeanor crimes such as having a small amount of weed or alcohol on them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Yes, why yes it is. The place is a fucking backwards shithole outside of Philly (even Philly is backwards sometimes). I lived there for 4 years going to undergrad. I know.

and buying booze in your backwater state is terrible

It didn't surprise me that the school administration would act like this, but i'm a little surprised that the police and court were in on it as well. That's pretty scary.

i actually kinda feel bad for old fashion bullies these days, they are a dying breed. Cyber bullying is where its fucked up. All it takes is photoshop and a simple script and bam, johnny was kissing billy or the class hamster or w/e will spread all over the school and you'd be shit out of luck.

it really is the revenge of the nerds.

Foffy

Banned
This kind of happened to my girlfriend in high school. Some girl was threatening her life over and over calling and showing up at her house. I forgot exactly why but it had something to do with the fact that this girl was having sex with one of the teachers. Reported it to the police but they were basically like "Call us when she shows up with a gun. Otherwise we can't help you.". So she recorded one of the threatening calls and when she presented the evidence they charged her with illegal recording or whatever. Had to jump through a lot of hoops to get that dropped from her record. Even though she was a juvenile, it would still randomly pop up during background checks from time to time. I forgot exactly what happened to the girl but iirc she got hers eventually and the teacher was exposed as well.

EDIT: I just remembered what happened to the teacher which is probably more fucked up. Obviously they relieved him of his teaching position but they then put him in an administration one where he wasn't working with kinds. So effectively they promoted him.

What in the fuck? You can get a record for doing something like that? This fucking state, dude...

Why the fuck did I move here?

how on earth is this shit possible? I'm outraged!! Someone do something.

Jesus christ. Please someone blow this thing up. This is so wrong. Not only are you displaying that bullying doesn't have consequences, but also that people have no right to expose the injustice that is being done to them.

I would get it if the bullied kid had retaliated by threathening, or trying to make false accusations, but denying a person the right to record their own abuse...

In Denmark there was a famous case of a gold jeweler who shot a thief with a hunting rifle in the butt. the thief was fine, but he sued the jewelry owner and won. This mentality is... I can't even find words.

hwalker84

I don't want to make assumptions but considering a lot of families I grew up with stayed or come back and had kids in this school district (South Fayette is ranked one of the better schools in PA). If this is the same Love family or one of the relatives from when I went to SF the bullied kid is black.

You're pretty cool. Taking down a bully is good.

kess

What in the fuck? You can get a record for doing something like that? This fucking state, dude...

Why the fuck did I move here?

There's a galaxy of shitty school stories in Pennsylvania. My favorite was the one where some kid showed up to school in a gorilla costume, and they called in the fucking FBI.

Wolff

It is really hard to believe someone would do that to the kid. What in the hell goes through their head thinking they're right with this? Even if it is the law, considering the case, that decision was just ridiculous. Humanity never fails to deliver on stupidity.

Dizzy

Banned
Sounds like a typical teacher, not giving a fuck while that shit carries on. What happened after with this kid being punished just boggles the mind. It's an absolute fucking joke.

The cherry on top of the cake is how it's illegal for him to be violating the bullies privacy in that way, while we're still coming off the whole NSA spying scandal.

Basically..

tumblr_m9ffnrV95U1r1vzzeo2_500.jpg

It's like everyone feels the need to bully this kid, not just his fellow student. Town and county ran by bullies protects bullies.

I can't say they're absolutely wrong to say the kid shouldn't have recorded them without consent.

While there are situations like this where it's being used to uncover wrong doing, there are also many other situations where a recording can be used for the purpose of harassment, humiliation, or black mail. Students want to keep some aspects of their life private, particularly if it may get back to their family and cause significant consequences. For instance if a student is recorded when admitting he or she is gay, or if they're complaining about a teacher/friend, etc. These kind of rules are meant to punish and discourage that sort of maliciousness, and there isn't really an easy way to define an "appropriate" situation for this kind of recording.

Of course it would have never come to this had the teachers done a better job at keeping order in the classroom and in the halls, but from the sounds of it every student in the class that was recorded had some kind of learning disability. That might make it difficult to judge an effective response, though if that's the case, I must wonder why they felt it was appropriate to call the police, of all people, to come and investigate. Making such a scene and threatening a felony charge makes me believe they were trying to intimidate him, which is pretty shameful.

It's a shitty situation all around, but I do believe the school could have acted much better in this scenario, and deserve all the shit they get. The kid may not have acted within the rules, but the school's negligence didn't help matters either.

I can't say they're absolutely wrong to say the kid shouldn't have recorded them without consent.

While there are situations like this where it's being used to uncover wrong doing, there are also many other situations where a recording can be used for the purpose of harassment, humiliation, or black mail. Students want to keep some aspects of their life private, particularly if it may get back to their family and cause significant consequences. For instance if a student is recorded when admitting he or she is gay, or if they're complaining about a teacher/friend, etc. These kind of rules are meant to punish and discourage that sort of maliciousness, and there isn't really an easy way to define an "appropriate" situation for this kind of recording.

Of course it would have never come to this had the teachers done a better job at keeping order in the classroom and in the halls, but from the sounds of it every student in the class that was recorded had some kind of learning disability. That might make it difficult to judge an effective response, though if that's the case, I must wonder why they felt it was appropriate to call the police, of all people, to come and investigate. Making such a scene and threatening a felony charge makes me believe they were trying to intimidate him, which is pretty shameful.

It's a shitty situation all around, but I do believe the school could have acted much better in this scenario, and deserve all the shit they get. The kid may not have acted within the rules, but the school's negligence didn't help matters either.

cant these things like recording of people in public institutions be judged on a case by case basis?

I get what your saying that it could have been used for harrasment, but if a kid is not allowed to gather proof about his own abuse in the public space - I mean.

That would be like saying a woman is not allowed to take a picture of her rapist because its an invasion of privacy in the public sphere. < nobody would ever defend something like that.

bullying ruins peoples lives and it needs to be treated as a serious matter IMO.

Foffy

Banned
There's a galaxy of shitty school stories in Pennsylvania. My favorite was the one where some kid showed up to school in a gorilla costume, and they called in the fucking FBI.

Oh my fuck. Even it was a gorilla...the FBI?! Isn't animal control supposed to be called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom