• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunch of PSVR games turning into vaporware

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't know about vaporware, but I sure was surprised that Golem game didn't make launch.

I can't say this is surprising. They haven't shown any new material for the past 10 months at all, so it was pretty obvious Golem is not going to launch in 2016.

I understand that Sony has a poor track record with peripherals but VR is different, it's an industry milestone and I really don't expect devs to figure out how to create compelling games for it in the short term.

I bought the PSVR knowing that there is even a risk that compelling games will require better tracking/resolution/input methods that aren't going to be around this gen.

Until a full game like RE7 can prove that VR is anything more than an experiment, that's all it is to me. I don't think Sony lied about that, neither have any of the other VR manufacturers, it's just the state of the tech and the state of the dev scene.

Mooreberg

Sony has screwed up the psvr release so badly. They don't get enough hardware on the shelves and then don't support the hardware after the initial offerings. Why even release this thing?
The hardware was immediately profitable. I was surprised by that, and it makes me wonder if they really care what the shelf life is like on it. Could end up being another PS Move where it lasts for half a console cycle, and then they move on.

The hardware was immediately profitable. I was surprised by that, and it makes me wonder if they really care what the shelf life is like on it. Could end up being another PS Move where it lasts for half a console cycle, and then they move on.

It's basically like buying into early access VR at this point. You really shouldn't expect anything for a few years at least. Which means by the time solid VR titles are out, there will have been enough major improvements that you'll probably want to upgrade again. Hopefully people know what they were buying into.

Lets add this up:

1. Expensive accessory sold to a tiny fraction of the user base
2. Said accessory makes some people physically ill with certain types of experiences
3. Said accessory still has not proven a compelling format for games (across any VR platform)

It's no shock it isn't getting support. Hopefully we can count on Sony to support their own device but then again there was the Vita.

Yet its the biggest VR platform out there

I can't even....no idea where to begin.

1. PSVR is less than four months old.
2. PSVR had the best launch lineup of anything in years
3. PSVR was easily 30% of the Playstation experience on the floor.
4. PSVR is leading the VR hardware sales by a SIGNIFICANT margin.
5. PSVR adoption rate seems extraordinary if online enthusiasm is an indication.

Also, several big new titles have been announced for vr 2017...

...but wait, the big titles that we know are finished or near finished haven't even hit yet.

Resident Evil 7 is in two weeks. Ace Combat, Golem, Farpoint...none of these are far behind.

The amount of early support for this platform has been extraordinary. And this is just the beginning. Communication with Sony has been transparent and informative. We have a blog that updates us on new releases. A section in the online store just for VR, including it's own front page carousel. Kinect never had that level of support. Oculus was so bad at communicating, it didn't even tell its backers when they would get their hardware.

Not only is PSVR fine, it's proving so far that it's NOT a vita.

And for the record, I didn't even LIKE the vita but i have to commend sony for keeping it in the conversation as long as it has. More, even though they don't develop AAA games for the platform anymore, at least the streaming thing works and is supported by most releases. Vita TV? That's another story.

PSVR, though...?

People. Need. To. Stop. Overreacting.
not really. Most of the games were overpriced and short as hell

Caayn

Looking at the low amount of games with a release date for PSVR, Sony's track record for supporting peripherals and my personal experience with PSVR. Makes me glad that I sold my unit.

Tekken and Dead or Alive VR sounded like nightmares that would have hurt the future of VR more than they would have helped it grow.

War Thunder could be cool.

Final Fantasy XV VR looked like it would have been an FF branded shooting gallery. We have a million shooting galleries in VR already. It probably would have been a welcome addition but nothing of true value is really lost here that couldn't be had a dozen times over elsewhere in VR.

What we do have is Resident Evil 7 being real and coming out next week and most importantly does an amazing job in VR.

Ace Combat 7 is also looking amazing in VR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
not really. Most of the games were overpriced and short as hell

Everytime I read about its supposed amazing launch I just roll my eyes. Most games were ridiculously short. Can't think of many outside of rigs that were full featured/full length games.

Lucifon

Lets add this up:

2. Said accessory makes some people physically ill with certain types of experiences
3. Said accessory still has not proven a compelling format for games (across any VR platform)

It's no shock it isn't getting support. Hopefully we can count on Sony to support their own device but then again there was the Vita.

Not to mention Sony had a notorious track record for abandoning peripherals. Basically they let the market and third parties determine whether the peripheral has legs and make their minds up after a short period.

KHlover

Banned
I wonder why this is. Isn't PSVR leading on the VR sales or something?
Pretty sure that's GearVR, actually.

OT: I think many people that are now disappointed underestimated how much of an Indie-driven market VR is. With the overall VR gaming market size being what it is they were nevee going to offer more than token support. So, looking purely at announced VR stuff from the big publishers, the situation will seem dire. Many indies certainly do develop PSVR stuff right now, but that's both not as visible (because marketing is expensive) and takes time (team size etc). All in all I'd say it's still a bit early to panic.

Everytime I read about its supposed amazing launch I just roll my eyes. Most games were ridiculously short. Can't think of many outside of rigs that were full featured/full length games.

I mean I was impressed with the games I got. Especially VR Playroom and VR Worlds.

daxgame

The market just isn't there yet but it's too early to be afraid of those games ending in real vaporware, hopefully.

ChouGoku

Told you, its another eyetoy, move, vita, wonder book. Only trust their consoles nothing else. Glad I didn't buy one.
These posts and thread are hilarious, its been out for almost 3 months and there is already vaporware and posters like I quoted are already smugly confirming a flop like its any of the items you are talking about? Mind you it has barely been 3 months, its sold out almost everywhere and a MAJOR release is coming out in less than a week? It's odd how many people are praying for the downfall of a new way of gaming on a gaming forum

If you remove GearVR from the equation, would it be the PSVR? Seems like the GearVR titles are geared towards the mobile crowd.

Resident Evil 7 looks awesome tho, so there is that.

And Ace Combat (even if it's not the whole game) and Farpoint both look great too as bigger titles.

Plus several devs that have timed exclusives I think have begun to do some hinting that they want to being their stuff to psvr too when they can.

Jimrpg

Lets add this up:

Yep all 3 describes me in a nutshell. VR is too expensive, I get motion sick really easily and I haven't seen any games I really want. (I just want escape room games!)

The other thing is that PSVR is a decent but average solution. If I want to get in on VR, I'd definitely wait for the Vive no matter how long it takes. But the Vive is AU$1300 which I'm not ready to drop right now. Even at half price, it wouldn't be chump change.

I'm really concerned because I do want VR to succeed but the amount of news and chat lately has me thinking that the format is waning already.

There is a conspiracy afoot. Sony is trying to kill it because they realized Summer Lesson will further hamper the birthrate in Japan.

JK?

Being honest the next big games for me are Resident Evil 7 and GT:Sport (regardless of how cut down it will be)

Other than that I already have enough games that are giving me a lot of fun and keeping me from standard games such as Last Guardian, Tomb Raider etc, so right now I'm having a blast and can see it staying that way for some time, especially with Werewolves Within being such a replayable game, the thing is so addicting and causing quite a lack of sleep with me.

Yep all 3 describes me in a nutshell. VR is too expensive, I get motion sick really easily and I haven't seen any games I really want. (I just want escape room games!)

The other thing is that PSVR is a decent but average solution. If I want to get in on VR, I'd definitely wait for the Vive no matter how long it takes. But the Vive is AU$1300 which I'm not ready to drop right now. Even at half price, it wouldn't be chump change.

I'm really concerned because I do want VR to succeed but the amount of news and chat lately has me thinking that the format is waning already.

There's actually a growing number of solid Room Escape games on SteamVR such as Abode. I'm really excited to see some more games in the category. http://store.steampowered.com/app/548340/

I can't even....no idea where to begin.

1. PSVR is less than four months old.
2. PSVR had the best launch lineup of anything in years
3. PSVR was easily 30% of the Playstation experience on the floor.
4. PSVR is leading the VR hardware sales by a SIGNIFICANT margin.
5. PSVR adoption rate seems extraordinary if online enthusiasm is an indication.

Also, several big new titles have been announced for vr 2017...

...but wait, the big titles that we know are finished or near finished haven't even hit yet.

Resident Evil 7 is in two weeks. Ace Combat, Golem, Farpoint...none of these are far behind.

The amount of early support for this platform has been extraordinary. And this is just the beginning. Communication with Sony has been transparent and informative. We have a blog that updates us on new releases. A section in the online store just for VR, including it's own front page carousel. Kinect never had that level of support. Oculus was so bad at communicating, it didn't even tell its backers when they would get their hardware.

Not only is PSVR fine, it's proving so far that it's NOT a vita.

And for the record, I didn't even LIKE the vita but i have to commend sony for keeping it in the conversation as long as it has. More, even though they don't develop AAA games for the platform anymore, at least the streaming thing works and is supported by most releases. Vita TV? That's another story.

PSVR, though...?

People. Need. To. Stop. Overreacting.

He's right, and apart from that, this is not a "stand alone" product/console, another alternatives exists that will push it at least a little, the vita didn't have "brothers", this one has, so it's not so easy to left behind like the vita, wonderbook, etc.

I mean if a developer makes a game for the vive, they will probably want to adapt it to the PSVR to have more customers, it's not like the vita where the target was only 1 product.

I'm more interested in why things like War Thunder havn't been released. People have played the game in PSVR and by all intention it sounds like the devs have it finished.

There was an interesting interview with the CEO of Gaijin and to me sounded like Sony were being very cautious with the types of experiences they show initially. Maybe this means it didn't pass cert as it is a game that hits a lot of people who are generally fine.

Here was the quote:
https://www.vrfocus.com/2015/09/gaijin-ceo-talks-vr-in-war-thunder-crossout-and-much-more/ said:
We've been involved from the very beginning. When the first press saw Project Morpheus it wasn't on-stage but inside their booth, maybe not the first time but the second time. I don't know when. Plainly speaking, both manufacturers like us as developers but they don't like to show our work on the support very much as because virtual reality can be unpleasant experience and when you're in a plane, even in a real plane, regardless of the quality of virtual reality, it can be unpleasant because we are taking you into that space. Again, there's nothing wrong with that. We want to try and attract as many people as possible but they don't want to alienate anyway. Because of that they don't want to start showing off their hardware with something that can be nauseous, even if you're playing on a TV without virtual reality. Because you're having good enough immersion you can actually be a little uncomfortable even on a TV. We're always showing it in our booth and Oculus guys and Sony guys help us and provide us with the keys to show our game but on their own booth they try to show something more slow. Because it's a new thing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Given Sony's track record with accessories I'd be worried as well. It seems successful so hopefully there's still plenty of content in the pipeline. Especially considering they aren't the only ones with VR.

This thread is about some psvr games turning into vaporware. Thus far all good and we can discuss about this possibility.

The think is...I am surprised that this thread turn out to be ''the death of VR'' thread.

This is amazing guys...

previous gaming consoles could not even exist today, because the games that-for real -turned into vaporware were much more. But they exist.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm a PSVR owner, and I have to say that I find this to be really shitty news.

Starting to doubt that PSVR was a good purchase... I feel like Sony lied to us.

Investing in VR this generation should be considered a donation to R&D with no entitlements.

It's not like there was no warning either. I think even Sony in some form before release admitted that this first year was always going to be "an enthusiast generation". And already this year I bet we'll see VR technology announced that will make current HMDs more or less obsolete.

Disclaimer: Happy earlier DK1, DK2 and Vive owner here.

web01

Sony sold 15 million move controllers and the support was far from great.
Not surprising at all that VR support is lacking.

Sorry but yes, I can't believe how burnt I got with that thing, made me shy of anything other than Sony's main console line.

PSVR feels like too much of the Move/Eye. I hope y'all get better experience, Sony hasn't made any endearing moves to make me think they are not actively pursuing anything VR related besides potential easy $.

*Reads through thread*

As to be expected on any PSVR related thread... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually gave up on informing people on titles coming to PSVR this Q1.

The best a can do for people is to recommend checking out this thread (I update it regularly):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658

If nothing there interests you than I guess you made a bad purchase and would recommend selling your unit to a person that is actively looking for one. If you act now you'll gain 90% of what you paid for the unit (minus games bought digitally).

New stock arrives Late Jan - Early Feb and scalpers prices will finally drop reducing the value of your unit. Good luck!

Mendrox

This thread is about some psvr games turning into vaporware. Thus far all good and we can discuss about this possibility.

The think is...I am surprised that this thread turn out to be ''the death of VR'' thread.

This is amazing guys...

previous gaming consoles could not even exist today, because the games that-for real -turned into vaporware were much more. But they exist.

Too many people in this thread that don't even have VR themselves or didn't really wanted to get into it for real.

Yes there are short experiences, but PSVR is far from dead. It's out for like 3 months and it's getting annoying as hell from bitchy people to hear about them wanting it to fail.

It does not fail, it's sold out everywhere and the attach rate for the games is incredibly high. Resident Evil 7, a killer app, is coming out next week and this year will be awesome too with many more games.

And it's only 400$ if you already have a ps camera.

Long games? Driveclub VR, RIGS, Battletanks and more have more than 50 hours + of content in them, other games like Robinson are your typical AAA titles with 5 - 10 hours of play time.

Why are people so incredible impatient these days? You can even use your PSVR with Trinitus on your PC and also play some Vive games if you are so bored with every game currently avaiable (people do have too much time on their hands...get to work, so you have money for things like this then lol)

Sorry but yes, I can't believe how burnt I got with that thing, made me shy of anything other than Sony's main console line.

PSVR feels like too much of the Move/Eye. I hope y'all get better experience, Sony hasn't made any endearing moves to make me think they are not actively pursuing anything VR related besides potential easy $.

Man sorry, but what a load of bullshit you are saying. Playstation Experience had more than 30% of their floor for VR games. Comparing it to the move (which is usable with PSVR hurah! so it's still usable nowadays) and EyeToy is just stupid. Have you used one yourself? If you have then I still can't take you for real or serious.

eloxx

Glad I waited to see if PSVR was worth it. I really want to play RE7 in VR, but I can't justify it if the support is not there. Or even appears to be there, and then disappears.

VR was already dead by the time PSVR was released. Not surprised if the initial wave of games was pretty much it for releases, though im sure some indie stuff will eventually show up.

Told you, its another eyetoy, move, vita, wonder book. Only trust their consoles nothing else. Glad I didn't buy one.

I can see some of these concerns but still, experiencing VR is a must and is something you have most definitely never experienced before.

Mendrox

I can see some of these concerns but still, experiencing VR is a must and is something you have most definitely never experienced before.

Yeah, nobody that experienced it for real is saying this. Everyone that tested mine immediately wanted one for themselves and these weren't even gaming people.

Investing in VR this generation should be considered a donation to R&D with no entitlements.

It's not like there was no warning either. I think even Sony in some form before release admitted that this first year was always going to be "an enthusiast generation". And already this year I bet we'll see VR technology announced that will make current HMDs more or less obsolete.

Disclaimer: Happy earlier DK1, DK2 and Vive owner here.

As a previously DK2 and now Vive here.. I agree.. we are still in beta. There are a lot of things that aren't working right or just off. But even with that it's worth it to me, first breath of fresh air I've seen in a long time. With over 30 some years of gaming I had wondered if I would ever see that type of excitement and newness in gaming I experienced when I was younger. Vr did it. So keep your heads up psvr owners and keep playing and buying games.. the format will keep growing.

Too many people in this thread that don't even have VR themselves or didn't really wanted to get into it for real.

it's getting annoying as hell from bitchy people to hear about them wanting it to fail

I cannot understand this mentality either.

For example, RE7 VR is way more than a generation leap IMO, compared to the 2D screen version. Why someone wants this to fail?

I don't understand. Maybe they don't like you are amazed by the new experience. I don't know.

Yeah, nobody that experienced it for real is saying this. Everyone that tested mine immediately wanted one for themselves and these weren't even gaming people.

This is pretty much exactly the same thing I experienced after demoing the system for hours this christmas. Never want to do that again though.

One of the best launch line-ups in my memory with some solid games on the way. If people are done with the content that was released at launch and the past few months my word they must have nothing else to do and apart from one or two games most were aptly priced and those that weren't have been on sale since then.

Only thing that is bugging me is I'm impatient for more news but as somebody who has bought nearly every console at launch since the PS1 the lack of news at this point is pretty much standard. Even these kind of threads are nothing new, just look at the nonsense which comes out every launch year.

Top Bottom