• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunch of PSVR games turning into vaporware

Mostly indie developers, but still.
DHTGp3i.png

ZkVccZP.png

Kj88Hv8.png

killroy87

Every day I'm more and more glad I skipped PSVR. I don't know what I'd be playing on it right now, and I'd have to deal with another massive piece of hardware in my apartment.

I'll give it another one or two iterations, when they can cut down the size of the headset, and only require half the cables.

ghibli99

lol more PSVR panic. It's the whole "PS4 has no games!" all over again. Give it some time and quit saying the sky is falling.
What games though? I'm looking at what's on tap for 2017, and the lineup looks even more barren than the Switch's first year.

Symbiotx

I find it amusing that so many people are ready to call it a failure. It's been 3 months, we have Resident Evil and Farpoint coming, and it's still hard to even find the headset in stock anywhere. Give it some time while more people get ahold of it. It's really good and it's not going to die. It just needs time to grow.

Shirow

Banned
Every day I'm more and more glad I skipped PSVR. I don't know what I'd be playing on it right now, and I'd have to deal with another massive piece of hardware in my apartment.

I'll give it another one or two iterations, when they can cut down the size of the headset, and only require half the cables.
I'm glad I'm skipping on most things this gen honestly. I used to have a PS4 and now just have an Xbox and I don't even have time to play it much. The is just too many games or there no matter what you already have. Even finishing one game is tough for me and I can't even tackle my backlog.
Best thing to do this gen is declutter and minimize. You can't play everything.

Reallink

Deus Ex:MD also had a VR mini-mode (an environment viewer) they announced and demoed to press that vanished without a mention.

I'm glad I'm skipping on most things this gen honestly. I used to have a PS4 and now just have an Xbox and I don't even have time to play it much. The is just too many games or there no matter what you already have. Even finishing one game is tough for me and I can't even tackle my backlog.
Best thing to do this gen is declutter and minimize. You can't play everything.

So it was a mistake because you don't have time to play games?

Symbiotx

What games though? I'm looking at what's on tap for 2017, and the lineup looks even more barren than the Switch's first year.

No it isn't. Go back and look at the switch lineup if you really think that.

PSVR has already been getting things dropped randomly on the store that had no announcement beforehand. I'm sure we'll see a lot more that are unexpected.

Even so, if you're someone that can't go without a week for a new game, you shouldn't have bought PSVR this early. Early adopters (again, as I said with the PS4) should not expect a huge library immediately. It takes some time to get going.

Biske

I find it amusing that so many people are ready to call it a failure. It's been 3 months, we have Resident Evil and Farpoint coming, and it's still hard to even find the headset in stock anywhere. Give it some time while more people get ahold of it. It's really good and it's not going to die. It just needs time to grow.

But is Sony really going to grow it?

We've seen what happened with products like the Vita and Move. They really need to keep hammering things out to keep pushing it and make it big. If it catches fire, even then they still need to support that with great stuff.

No it isn't. Go back and look at the switch lineup if you really think that.

PSVR has already been getting things dropped randomly on the store that had no announcement beforehand. I'm sure we'll see a lot more that are unexpected.

Even so, if you're someone that can't go without a week for a new game, you shouldn't have bought PSVR this early. Early adopters (again, as I said with the PS4) should not expect a huge library immediately. It takes some time to get going.

Thats fair... but at the same time, this is what cause me to go from a Pre-Order and planned Early Adopter... to a cancelled pre-order and a no adopter, and now a "wait around tell something catches my eye and screams out BUY ME!" Still waiting.

test_account

XP-39C²
There's been quite a steady stream of new releases since launch, albeit mostly small games. Some games aren't properly categorized or marked on the store as PSVR compatible(Rollercoaster Dreams) though, so I wouldn't know if War Thunder had been updated or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if a number of games get announced, then unannounced when the devs can't quite get the performance or controls good enough. Wasn't Project Cars and Assetto Corsa also announced as getting PSVR support?

Hardware launches are always like this though. If you can't make the launch, then there's no need to rush.
I just bought Rollercoaster Dreams. Turns out that the only VR mode that is supported is walking around in the park. You cant use VR while riding the attraction. Very disappointing :\ Oh well, no big deal, but it makes sense why it isnt listed under the VR part on the PS Store with such limited VR stuff. I find it strange that there isnt a roller coaster game for PSVR. Except Rush of Blood, but thats more of a shooter in addition.

They were quite good in the post-launch period at getting a new game a week, but it has gone too quiet. I thought PSX would bring a wave of new announcements, but it didn't. That was probably a smart decision given how negative the Internet can be over anything not uber-AAA.

But they do need to get back on the horse and start making some noise again. I think the problem is that you just can't buy one.

Shirow

Banned
So it was a mistake because you don't have time to play games?
It's a mistake because it's a horrible investment. Content wise, time wise, health wise, money wise...

If you play on a screen to take a break from that to play this I suggest you just go outside and have a walk in the park instead. Anyone with this already has a nice PS4 to play in.

It's a mistake because it's a horrible investment. Content wise, time wise, health wise, money wise...

If you play on a screen to take a break from that to play this I suggest you just go outside and have a walk in the park instead. Anyone with this already has a nice PS4 to play in.

What? Health, park, PS4 to play in?

What?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Something else to keep in mind:

The PSVR division in Sony is a separate, new division. They are still getting their ducks in a row on how to manage PR, submissions, etc. This could account for the lack of communication this early in it's life.

Remember when XBLA first started? It was a mess. Everyone thought it was garbage, the division was horrible at communicating what was coming out and when, etc.

This may be the case here as well.

Tankard

And yet, here you are, on a video game board.

What a fucking mess you're in.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Will give RE7 a go with PSVR but I'll likely be selling my unit right after. Haven't touched mine since early November outside of very brief sessions showing it off to friends(and some games still make me sick!). The problems are mostly keeping me from wanting to play it as tracking and jitter issues have gone from "I'll learn to deal with it" to "fuck this piece of shit" in my mind. VR legs is a myth.

TheMan

Yeah, I guess VR hasn't quite blossomed into the utter gamechanger I expected. I agree that we're very early into the VR age (psvr is only 3 mo old), but very few upcoming titles make my peepee tingle. Maybe dirt will make me eat my words.

Actually, If they would fucking see the light and turn rescue robots into a full title, they could have a huge hit on their hands.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hm, the pushers of Eyetoy, Move, 3D console gaming, Wonderbook, and Vita put out a new peripheral and now they seem to be quickly losing interest in long-term support?

You don't say. How unforseeable!

I'm a VR dev myself so to add my anecdotal input to this I'm not 100% surprised. A lot of other VR devs I know are excited about Vive and now Oculus touch, and the PSVR (especially because of the move controllers) just can't keep up with that.

It's not just the tech of it though, for my team it's the uncertainty of the support from Sony. It launched, has had stock trouble since, and we haven't seen additional software support being focused on. Outside of RE7 I'm not seeing Sony showcasing wave 2 of VR software and I think there's a collective concern among some devs that PSVR is going to be a gateway drug to VR, or a short term product while anyone serious about VR gaming jumps on Oculus or Vive. With strong sales and promising attach rates combined with the better tech, focusing on those platforms instead of PSVR just makes sense for us.

Again, anecdotal, just the collective opinion of my team and other devs we've discussed it with.

There seems to be a considerable amount of drama in the responses here.

Let's be clear: if VR isn't your thing, it makes you ill, or you don't like the software available, that's totally valid. But reactions like "VR is dead" and "Sony has given up on PSVR" make one sound a bit histrionic.

Virtual Reality is an emerging, nascent technology that is in its infancy. Every single VR manufacturer has been clear about that, including Sony. The technology is not "dead", nor is it going anywhere.

There were 31 PSVR titles available at launch, which is astounding, from fully-fledged titles like RIGS to weirdo indie games and "experiences". Some of them were throwaway, and quite a few of them are terrific. If you're concerned about a lull in software output after the initial wave (and yes, even I'm concerned), that's fair - go play Horizon or Gravity Rush in the meantime - but let's not be ridiculous and claim a platform "dead" 3 months after it launches.

Steady as she goes, kids.

With strong sales and promising attach rates combined with the better tech, focusing on those platforms instead of PSVR just makes sense for us.

Better tech I won't argue with, but sales? I thought initial indications were that PSVR had outsold Vive and OR combined already.

Wouldn't the most prudent course of action be to develop for all three?

Reckheim

Why are units not available in stores? I haven't been following that front, since I have the system.

Maybe they are waiting for Sony to get the supply situations sorted out before they start software hype up again?

Been trying to get the bundle for like a month now, it has been sold out everywhere in Canada.

Better tech I won't argue with, but sales? I thought initial indications were that PSVR had outsold Vive and OR combined already.

I didn't say better sales, just strong.

To be fair, PSVR is still a possibility for us. We're Sony developers, we have PS4 kits for other projects, and yes PSVR sales are great. It's still a concern for us how long it'll be supported, how serious Sony is about it, and how long the sales span and visibility of our VR title will be on PSN.

Releasing a VR game at all is super scary right now.

TheMan

I didn't say better sales, just strong.

To be fair, PSVR is still a possibility for us. We're Sony developers, we have PS4 kits for other projects, and yes PSVR sales are great. It's still a concern for us how long it'll be supported, how serious Sony is about it, and how long the sales span and visibility of our VR title will be on PSN.

Releasing a VR game at all is super scary right now.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of game you're developing?

I'm a PSVR owner, and I have to say that I find this to be really shitty news.

RE7 was really the main reason I bought the unit, and I am not sure that I see anything compelling on the horizon besides possibly Bridge Commander.

Starting to doubt that PSVR was a good purchase... I feel like Sony lied to us.

The entire VR hype train lied to you. It was always going to be a failure and a shitshow. I could see it a mile away, but nobody listens to me.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of game you're developing?

For VR? I can't say yet, sorry.

We've talked to Sony, they know what we're doing and that PSVR is an option for us but that we have support concerns. From what I understand we're not the only people sharing those concerns so that's why I decided to say "fuck it" and respond in this thread. I feel fairly confident that we're not alone in our PSVR concerns.

If we see more PSVR content and supply, and it continues to sell well, we will very likely bring our game to that platform biting our nails anxiously in the process.

EDIT: You said what KIND, oh. I can kind of answer that. It's a social sandbox with loose unenforced rules to encourage different types of interaction with players vocally and through physics based activities. It bridges both VR and non VR users.

Reallink

He's probably referring to software. PC VR probably has a lot of whales who buy everything.

I think there's a collective concern among some devs that PSVR is going to be a gateway drug to VR, or a short term product while anyone serious about VR gaming jumps on Oculus or Vive.

I certainly am more likely to buy the higher end of the market in a few iterations time but certainly not now, the benefits at the moment are marginal for the price jump. I think those that really want the room scale stuff will move sooner rather than later as that is where the major improvements are in the PC market, personally that is the stuff I'm not fussed about until some locomotion standards and wireless headsets get sorted which all look to be going great.

He's probably referring to software. PC VR probably has a lot of whales who buy everything.

Well, I think that would be the "promising attach rates" bit.

My issue was using "strong sales" as a differentiator which justifies developing for PC VR rather than PSVR. My understanding is that PSVR has sold rather well, given its supply constraints. If hardware sales are a factor I would have thought that PSVR would be on equal footing with Vive and OR, at least.

With strong sales and promising attach rates combined with the better tech, focusing on those platforms instead of PSVR just makes sense for us.

TheMan

For VR? I can't say yet, sorry.

We've talked to Sony, they know what we're doing and that PSVR is an option for us but that we have support concerns. From what I understand we're not the only people sharing those concerns so that's why I decided to say "fuck it" and respond in this thread. I feel fairly confident that we're not alone in our PSVR concerns.

If we see more PSVR content and supply, and it continues to sell well, we will very likely bring our game to that platform biting our nails anxiously in the process.

EDIT: You said what KIND, oh. I can kind of answer that. It's a social sandbox with loose unenforced rules to encourage different types of interaction with players vocally and through physics based activities. It bridges both VR and non VR users.

What did Sony say when you expressed your concerns?

Oh and your game sounds cool btw.

Zalusithix

I see it's going to be one of those threads.

Did you expect any better? Any VR thread that's remotely critical inevitably has those types of comments creep in, regardless of how much sense they make in the context of the actual topic. Not that this is unique to VR threads. Some people are just extremely invested in seeing anything they don't like fail. If you could harvest their negativity, you'd power cities. ;)

Truth Teller

Neo Member
I'm a PSVR owner, and I have to say that I find this to be really shitty news.

RE7 was really the main reason I bought the unit, and I am not sure that I see anything compelling on the horizon besides possibly Bridge Commander.

Starting to doubt that PSVR was a good purchase... I feel like Sony lied to us.

They always over promise

cakely

Did you expect any better? Any VR thread that's remotely critical inevitably has those types of comments creep in, regardless of how much sense they make in the context of the actual topic. Not that this is unique to VR threads. Some people are just extremely invested in seeing anything they don't like fail. If you could harvest their negativity, you'd power cities. ;)

I expected it, yeah. Something about PSVR just inspires shitposts.

I'm not going to get defensive about it, these guys aren't looking to be convinced.

Yet another half baked "me too" piece of Sony hardware tossed onto the market.

Virtual boy, Kinect, PSVR.

It actually reminds me of Destiny in the first year. You'd make a Destiny thread and everyone would show up to chime in about how much the game sucked, whether they had played it or not.

I expected it, yeah. Something about PSVR just inspires shitposts.

I'm not going to get defensive about it, these guys aren't looking to be convinced.

This is the internet, if it can be shitposted it will be. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a thread without one.

Top Bottom