• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

Dirtbag 504 said:
Timeline looks to be mid-halo 2 -> 3.
So we most likely get to fight elites, brutes, and flood.

How is that possible, it's a Halo 3 campaign experience. They wouldn't of put the number 3 in it if it wasn't after the preceeding events. They would of just called it Halo: Such and Such.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Sir Fragula said:
They've hinted heavily that one of their projects is far closer to release than people would expect... at least that's how I've read it. Hope so - would love to be playing this for Christmas.

Yeah. I get the feeling this is to fill in the time before their next project is ready for release.

SuperPac

TDG said:
Well let's see, it's vague, it's filled with tiny little hints, and it gives people a lot to think about. Sounds like a good teaser to me.

Besides, it was figured out long ago that SI was connected with Halo. It's nobody's fault but your own that you came into the trailer with ignorant expectations.

I came into the teaser with no expectations. If it didn't specifically say "Halo 3" in it I wouldn't know what I was looking at, nor would I care. Bungie doing more Halo. Whoopie.

Falagard

Dirtbag 504 said:
Timeline looks to be mid-halo 2 -> 3.
So we most likely get to fight elites, brutes, and flood.

Yup, that's what I'm thinking - maybe minus the Flood. No indication of that yet, but it's entirely possible. Hunters, Grunts, Jackals, Elites and Brutes at least. Can you imagine taking on a Hunters as an ODST? :-D

Plus at the beginning of the trailer before the explosion you can clearly hear small arms fire in the city - so they're still fighting ground troops at that point. I'm really thinking the "Keep it clean" motto has to do with the fact that you're part of a "cleanup crew" sent down to clean up the remaining Covenant ground forces.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
urk said:
Yup. This looks to be the initial assault on New Mombassa, prior to MC's arrival.
So this'd be while the Chief was still aboard Cairo Station. If that's when this occurs.

Kritz

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Color me different.

You are now coloured brown. Like poop.

--

Anyone notice the voices around the middle of the trailer? Johnson? Cortana? Keyes?

They're so quickly cut it's hard to tell.

Cocopjojo said:
So this'd be while the Chief was still aboard Cairo Station. If that's when this occurs.

Sounding like it.

I really hope the ODST game sticks to earth, and shows us the events that transpire while Chief and Arby are all off saving us.

voltron

Delicious Brains 25
On a Mythic map, infect 2 humans during any ranked or social match.
Zombie Repeller 25
On a Mythic map, kill 2 Zombies during any ranked or social match.
Tank Dropper 25
On any Mythic map, get a kill on another player while in monitor mode.
Assembly Skull 25
On Assembly, find the hidden skull.
Citadel Skull 25
On Citadel, find the hidden skull.
Heretic Skull 25
On Heretic, find the hidden skull.
Longshore Skull 25
On Longshore, find the hidden skull.
Orbital Skull 25
On Orbital, find the hidden skull.
Sandbox Skull 25
On Sandbox, find the hidden skull.
Vidmaster Challenge: Brainpan 25
Find all the hidden skulls on the Mythic maps.
Vidmaster Challenge: Lightswitch 0
Get to the rank of Lieutenant in any playlist in the new EXP progression system.
Vidmaster Challenge: 7 on 7 0
Enter into any ranked or social playlist with 7 EXP on the 7th of the month.

Clearly the achs are not for this teaser so just get over it.

Read it carefully FFS.

FrankT

Kritz said:
You are now coloured brown. Like poop.

--

Anyone notice the voices around the middle of the trailer? Johnson? Cortana? Keyes?

They're so quickly cut it's hard to tell.

Cute, whateva. :lol

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
UltimaPooh said:
Sounding like it.

I really hope the ODST game sticks to earth, and shows us the events that transpire while Chief and Arby are all off saving us.
Well, remember how pissed everyone was when we had the hype buildup with Halo 2's "Save Earth" ad campaign. This is Bungie's answer.

Phatcorns

voltron said:
Clearly the achs are not for this teaser so just get over it.

Read it carefully FFS.

Since there are no new achievements for this expansion, perhaps this will be a standalone game? Maybe downloadable too. but that doesn't make that much sense since the xblm video says it's anew Halo 3 campaign experience

Last couple of frames there's a single object falling from the sky. It's either the ODST you are playnig as, a spartan, or we've all got the timeline wrong, and it's the chief falling to earth.

I think an earthside AI is going rampant, there's something about the cheerfull glee with which it advices everyone to "KEEP IT CLEAN."

Also, look how it's face changes in the upper right hand corner, it's so sad about the destruction of it's city! :lol

Shafto

Cocopjojo said:

Regret's ship is seen in a shot, and the next shot of the same scene is the explosion. It really has to be the jump.

Cocopjojo said:
Well, remember how pissed everyone was when we had the hype buildup with Halo 2's "Save Earth" ad campaign. This is Bungie's answer.

I hope so. I wana see that entire level that they first showed, Earth City.

chapel

Banned
Tapiozona said:
There was a part in the video which showed a clear date being 01/06/09. Could it be the release date? It's falls on a Tuesday when all games release. Here's the screen

http://i38.tinypic.com/t8kl84.png
Sorry to say this, but I found it first, posted it on the last page.

Here is a quote for all those interested.

chapel said:
Scanning through the video, I saw the text wall and went frame by frame.

d80e32b5b6f6f55cb0f6cd44e2986617.png

There is a typical bungie date and time in there.

01/06/09+221291

Seems to me to be a release date I would assume.

Edit: Looked through some more and found another 010609 in the text.

194c7f8e4edb59561a210e6adad9182f.png

voltron

Phatcorns said:
Since there are no new achievements for this expansion, perhaps this will be a standalone game? Maybe downloadable too. but that doesn't make that much sense since the xblm video says it's anew Halo 3 campaign experience

what makes you say that? We dont know a goddam thing yet. They could be added at a later date or even - like you say - the game may be stand alone.

TimeLike

Falagard said:
"Keep it clean" motto has to do with the fact that you're part of a "cleanup crew" sent down to clean up the remaining Covenant ground forces.

So basically you're taking MC's sloppy seconds. I think that's stupid. Human forces get their asses handed to them when there are no SPARTANs around to help. At no time while playing a Halo game on upper difficulties do marines or ODSTs survive for any length of time. Why would I want to play as those bitches?

Falagard

urk said:
Yup. This looks to be the initial assault on New Mombassa, prior to MC's arrival.

I don't think it's prior to MC's arrival. The explosion looks too cataclysmic, with most of the city being torn to pieces.

I realize the space tether is still standing at the end of that video, but are we sure the space tether was brought down by the slipstream explosion?

Anyhow, it's possible it's before MC's arrival but I think the fact that you can see a Covenant ship in the background moving towards the place where the explosion takes place...then several seconds later the explosion happens where it was heading... seems too coincidental. Either the Covenant ship just gets destroyed completely by something, or it went into slipstream.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Bungie revolutionized the FPS genre on consoles and in general, multiplayer gaming in general and with the theater/forge stuff. I have no doubt that this will do great things for expansion packs. Hopefully this is released some time in early '09...

electricpirate said:
Last couple of frames there's a single object falling from the sky. It's either the ODST you are playnig as, a spartan, or we've all got the timeline wrong, and it's the chief falling to earth.

I think an earthside AI is going rampant, there's something about the cheerfull glee with which it advices everyone to "KEEP IT CLEAN."

Also, look how it's face changes in the upper right hand corner, it's so sad about the destruction of it's city! :lol

I think we'll have something with a rampant AI in the game as well. Could this be kind of like Space Oddessy 2001? Where the rampant AI is a portion of the movie, but not the big picture?

Shafto

16 Drop ships, plus the final one.

Do we think this is one big squad? Several smaller ones? Is the last single drop ship the new Commander (Dare?), or possibly a Spartan of some type?

It would be pretty awesome if it was a co-op expansion, with massive, online, 16 player battles. They really could recreate some of the gigantic, epic battles everyone had in their minds after the Diorama shorts.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Shafto said:
Regret's ship is seen in a shot, and the next shot of the same scene is the explosion. It really has to be the jump.
Well, the only thing that makes us wonder is the fact that the tether is still standing. It could fall later, of course. Like how the WTC fell a bit after being hit.

I certainly think that the Slipspace event would be a good pick-up point, fictionally and gameplay-wise.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I bet the mythic maps release with the expansion. And that the whole thing will reside on a disc with all the original Halo3 MP content so you can play all the old stuff along with the new. I also bet the MP would not be cross compatible wit the normal H3 disc.

Just my guesses

scola said:
I bet the mythic maps release with the expansion. And that the whole thing will reside on a disc with all the original Halo3 MP content so you can play all the old stuff along with the new. I also bet the MP would not be cross compatible wit the normal H3 disc.

Just my guesses
i bet not

Phatcorns

voltron said:
what makes you say that? We dont know a goddam thing yet. They could be added at a later date or even - like you say - the game may be stand alone.

No I meant since they didn't add any achievements to the Halo 3 list for this but DID for the mythic maps. So yeah they could be added later.

TDG

Banned
TimeLike said:
So basically you're taking MC's sloppy seconds. I think that's stupid. Human forces get their asses handed to them when there are no SPARTANs around to help. At no time while playing a Halo game on upper difficulties do marines or ODSTs survive for any length of time. Why would I want to play as those bitches?
Of course, for all we know, we could be playing as MC. It seems like we'll be playing as ODSTs, but we really can't know.

Brainboy

electricpirate said:

It changes its status as soon as the drop begins. It also tries to identify them. "AUTH. INQ." (Authorisation Inquiry), followed by "AUTH. NEGATIVE". Then it says "EMP TRIP DETECT". Obviously something set off an EMP. Whether that's good or bad, I have no clue. Finally, before going offline, the Superintendent tries to "SAVE. SYS STATE". I think it is going through its emergency routines.

Quazar

harSon said:
I'm guessing we will be getting more information at TGS?

Doubt it. Only thing Bungie info will do in TGS is confuse the Japanese people. Hopefully they keep the expansion out of events and focus on announcing new titles.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn computer gave me problems right when I was trying to download so I had to restart - damnit!

Anyways, I dunno how many teasers have to be released before people on here get the point and realize what a teaser does - TDG already beat me to it, but people are crying that they got teased by...

...a teaser.

And there was plenty of info from that I could tell, as others have noted as well...

It's definitely New Mombasa as a few things said directly in the video, the tether is either still up, meaning that it's right before the Chief got there, or it's another one/new one, going on at the same current time as the events in Halo 3...

What it ultimately looks like is that they are giving something special to the fans that wanted to play that E3 level, or wanted to continue in New Mombasa, by letting us play on as ODST's as the Chief left - either in first person as an ODST itself, or through the eyes of this A.I.

Great teaser that managed to show loads of info that fans will find, and I can't wait to see the results of the massive dissection that this video will get...

I'm tired of the countdowns and the ARGs and the riddle solving...

Stop with all the awkward foreplay already...I went through that in my teens. I don't need to go through it again.

pswii60

Keyser Soze said:
If the Daily Mail get the screenshot with Maddie written on it, they will have rnough front page material for the next week...
Exactly what I was thinking. And no joke either. Not clever.

I can just envision all of the fucking sensationalised headlines already.

"Violent videogame developer uses Madeline McCann disapperance for sick Halo marketing campaign".

Top Bottom