• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider: 5 up-and-coming fast food chains taking over America

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.businessinsider.com/up-and-coming-fast-food-chains-in-america-2015-4

lfTImsP.jpg

1. The Habit Burger Grill

The Habit Burger Grill claimed Consumer Reports' top spot for the best-tasting burger in the country, beating out competitors like In-N-Out Burger and Five Guys.

Habit Burger is primarily located in California, Arizona and Utah, according to Nation's Restaurant News. The company now has about 100 locations and is expanding.

The chain promises 100% fresh ground beef cooked over an open flame. The signature burger is pretty classic and includes "mayonnaise, pickle, fresh tomato, lettuce and caramelized onions on a toasted bun."

mekcYXB.jpg

2. El Pollo Loco

The Mexican-inspired chicken chain has posted impressive sales gains since it went public, and shares are soaring.

El Pollo Loco's expansion plans and fresh-food message have many wondering if it is the next Chipotle.

The poultry is brought fresh into restaurants daily. It is then marinated in a citrus-garlic blend for a couple hours before being grilled on low heat for over an hour.

Customers can buy different cuts of the bone-in chicken or have it chopped and added to tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and salads.

The company has about 400 locations is currently expanding on the West Coast and in the South West, most notably in Houston.

uVaJz8m.jpg

3. Blaze Pizza

Blaze Pizza, which counts LeBron James as an investor, opened 50 restaurants across the country in 2014. This year it plans to open 60 to 70 new locations.

Much like Chipotle or Subway, Blaze Pizza emphasizes customization.

Customers build pizzas choosing from seven cheeses, eight proteins, 20 vegetables, and three sauces, Jim Mizes, the president and chief operating officer, told Business Insider.

The pizzas are then placed in a stone hearth oven. They're ready in about three minutes.

Blaze Pizza is based in Southern California.

GgB8Qdg.jpg

4. Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill

Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill tastes better than Chipotle, according to a recent Consumer Reports survey.

Rubio's, which is inspired by Baja California cuisine, has 190 locations and is predominantly found on the West Coast.

Rubio's is best known for its fish tacos, which are hand-battered and covered in fresh salsa and a cabbage slaw.
Other popular menu items include tacos, burritos, and enchiladas.

Rubio's also offers churros for dessert.

Like Chipotle, Rubio's emphasizes fresh ingredients that are sustainably sourced.

zzjHkzA.jpg

5. Lyfe Kitchen

Lyfe Kitchen was started by two McDonald's executives who wanted to make healthy fare like kale and quinoa mainstream.

The chain currently has about a dozen locations in California, Colorado, Illinois, and New York. The company has plans to open 250 more in the next five years.

Every dish on the menu is under 600 calories with less than 1,000 milligrams of sodium, and the average check size is $4 to $14, according to the company.

Butter, trans fats, white sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, and other food additives are barred from the menu, and locally sourced ingredients are used when available.

Link

The Autumn Wind
And of course, none are anywhere near South Florida. We're like a fast food wasteland down here.

Seeing Rubio's and El Pollo Loco on there is bizarre to me, as I've seen them for the longest time.

Habit is legit though, and if people have one near them, definitely try it out.

Lyfe Kitchen sounds interesting though

lazygecko

The American fast food market seems unusually competitive. I would have expected a few really big ones to be heavily involved with lobbying to enforce some semblance of a cartel.

Rubios and el pollo loco are terrible. Haven't been to the other places yet, really want to try a habit burger though. The blaze is interesting sounds just like my local pieology, an awesome custom use your own pizza and it's ready quick, great idea for a pizza place.

tanooki27

are there any chipotle drivethrus? seems that would be paradigm shifting.

I guess it might also compromise their kitchen.

MJPIA

El Pollo Loco needs to come to the east coast.
I look forward to the rise of more restaurants like these.

El Pollo Loco?

Sounds like a front for Gus.
It's one of the oldest franchises in Mexico, they started in 1975
http://www.elpolloloco.com.mx/EPL/El_Pollo_Loco___Inicio.html
Mexico was really slow in the franchise business, by the early 80's most of the restaurants were just "Mom and Pop's" it wasn't until the late 80's when we started getting a lot of things, in fact I ate my first McDonald when I was 12 years old in 1991

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
i thought el polo loco was gonna blow up when they opened a few chains out in the far reaches of west metro atlanta....but they closed real fast. I think everyone in the state closed shop. its not like there is no demand. we got a few similar spots around atlanta.

RetroMG

Habit Burger looks delicious. I live in Arizona, but two hours south of Phoenix, which is where all the Habit Burger places seem to be. Might have to go try it next time I am up there, or else hope that it expands down here.

Blaze looks interesting. I would try it if it came here, but I'm not going to go out of my way for it.

webkatt

I like Habit burger more than In-N-Out.

Too bad they use super processed cheese. Super processed American Cheese or Super processed Swiss cheese.

And their veggie patty isn't bad either. Too bad it cost about double a meat patty.

KingK

So is every apparently good fast food place exclusively in California/the West? I've never heard of any of these.

I guess the Midwest is just supposed to be satisfied with Steak N Shake.

Almighty

Well surprise surprise one of those(The Habit Burger Grill) is pretty close to me. I think I will have to try it in the near future. I am always down for a good burger.

Habit burgers are okay, but a bit overpriced relative to quality when compared to Five Guys and In-N-Out. Their chicken sandwiches, however, are excellent if you don't have a Chick-fil-A in the area.

i'm surprised rubios and el pollo loco are on this list.

Nobody seems to go to them out here in San Diego.

well rubios does have some great fish tacos

They just opened a Blaze Pizza in San Francisco, though I have yet to try it or Lyfe Kitchen for that matter.

Rubio's and El Pollo Loco, I've had but not lately. Still, I find them just okay.

I like the Habit but the wait is longer than In-N-Out, also it's more expensive. Good malt shakes and food options, but the burgers are much better than Five Guys. I'll go to Habit when I feel like getting onion rings.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
They just opened a Blaze Pizza in San Francisco, though I have yet to try it or Lyfe Kitchen for that matter.
there's also a Habit Burger in Daly City. I kinda want to try these places out now... Well besides Pollo Loco and Rubios. Quite familiar with those two.

ghostmind

i'm surprised rubios and el pollo loco are on this list.

Nobody seems to go to them out here in San Diego.

well rubios does have some great fish tacos

That's because there are a lot of local alternatives.

Stick an El Pollo Loco in a Midwest town and they'll go crazy for it.

f0nz0

Weird, I remember eating at Pollo Loco as a kid.. I guess they've been a slow burn, the burrito takeover is reaching critical mass

oxidax

In for habit burger. I don't have any Interest in the other 4 and I was told that blaze pizza is actually not that good.

Haven't seen any of these in NYC yet.

Maybe I need to look harder?

One chain that has kept popping up in NYC that can go die in a fire is Pie Face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom