• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider: 5 up-and-coming fast food chains taking over America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, this. I live in CA where most of this is and I'd rather have a good Cubano over any of it.

Hell, the recent movie Chef is basically an ode to the power of Florida cheap/street food.

More like California has a lot of fast food chains. Regional chains with all sorts of food are covered here. I grew up in the Midwest which is more like what you describe. All burgers. The Chicago area had a lot of hot dog places in addition but the majority were not chains.

That makes sense

I've been to California, and definitely noticed that. It was LA and North Hollywood I visited for E3, too.

I've driven to Florida twice, and don't remember seeing so many in other areas.

burger-king-vs-mcdona1ya2a.gif

No Love

Banned
The Habit really is fucking delicious. They have one in San Diego State so all the students go there... you can see super hot girls AND get a great burger.

El Pollo Loco has always been good too.

Blaze Pizza and Lyfe? Uh... yeah. Waba Grill will probably end up beating out those two.

WorldStar

Banned
The Habit really is fucking delicious. They have one in San Diego State so all the students go there... you can see super hot girls AND get a great burger.

El Pollo Loco has always been good too.

Blaze Pizza and Lyfe? Uh... yeah. Waba Grill will probably end up beating out those two.

blaze is bomb homie

cheap too and they sell beer

Been to the Habit once and didn't think it was anything special. I would rather go to 5 Guys or In-n-Out.

El Pollo loco is ok, but nothing special. If I am in the mood for Mexican food, there are numerous more authentic locations I'd rather go to in Arizona. Same goes for Rubios.

Never heard of the others

I've had El Pollo Loco here in Austin. Not bad at all, you are basicly buying a whole chicken but it tastes good. And for some reason they give you tortillas beans and rice with your bone in chicken lol.

Sean

Banned
They just opened a Blaze Pizza around me and it's awesome. $7 for a pie with any toppings, tastes really good and is made fast.

I like Habit Burger too but wouldn't say it's the best. Their burgers aren't always juicy and the buns don't taste as good as some other places.

D-Pad

I've been to El Pollo Loco a couple of times and never really cared for it. All of the locations around me (in georgia) have been turned into (the superior) Bojangles.

The Habit is great. For some odd reason I find that their side Caesar salad pairs so well with their burgers so much more than their fries or onion rings. And I'm not even a Caesar salad kind of person too. But that's just me.

If you can, also check out Hook Burger Bistro, founded by former owners of the original Habit. Legit, yo.

Edit: El Pollo Loco ain't bad if you want that occasional alternative from fried chicken take-out. Pretty good.

Lyfe Kitchen is as bad as it sounds. Everything is super bland, not filling and expensive. But this girl in my office who's more or less orthorexic loves it.

But isn't that the whole point of of Lyfe Kitchen, to offer meals with a limited amount of calories and sodium?

Syncytia

When Habit first opened near me I thought it was really overrated. Do I need to try it again?

I don't know about Rubios...it's fine but no where near my first choice. Then again I live in the southwest so my Mexican food options aren't exactly limited. I suppose it'd be great if there was nothing resembling Mexican food around.

Syringe

I was sure BurgerFi was going to be on that list. It has everything going for it like customization, high quality ingridients, organic, great selection of tasty beers and so on. Seems like it's getting traction.

Maengun1

I think the main thing that sucks about living in a small town is the fast food selections. We've got McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, and Taco Bell. And....that's about it.

overcast

El Pollo Loco isn't that great. Chicken isn't too bad, but not somewhere I go. Surprised it's "up and coming", thought it has been around for a long ass time.

Rubio's is a more coastal version of chipotle. About equivalent to that. The best thing is they always had vanilla coke at the fountain.

The Habit is delicious. Great burger, great shakes, okay fries and awesome onion rings. Good amount of variety too. Definitely better than Five Guys and about on par with In-N-Out. It's about 8 dollars a meal though, so almost 2 dollars more than In-N-Out.

Haven't tried the other two spots.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I wonder if these chains really will go nationwide. Unlike 10-15 years ago, you have stuff like Five Guys and Chipotle literally everywhere now. I just don't know if the demand is there unless they opened up only a few locations in major markets.

noquarter

Really like El Pollo Loco and Rubios. El Pollo Loco has been around forever though, surprised they haven't tried to go national years ago.

Also, I bet in Rubios a few years ago, buying a few hundred dollars in stocks and they went private. Was hoping they would expand when I had stock in them, so fuck them. Fish tacos will never make it outside of SoCal area.
/Salt

I like El Pollo Loco but haven't gone for years since the KFC is just much more conveniently located.

The Habit burger fucking sucks. Bad bad bad. Didn't dig that burnt burger taste at all. It's too bad too, it's got just the right amount of class where the place always seems clean, and you got buzzers when your order is ready, but not so classy that you can't just get up and get your own refill. That's a real sweet spot for me.

Blaze pizza seems pretty good. The bbq chicken with that gorgonzola was pretty good. It opened not long after the Pieology across the street from it. For the most part I can't really differentiate them. They both look pretty much the same, the pizza seems more or less the same. The names are equally stupid sounding. I guess Blaze has more of a hipster feel to it. But tasty.

Rubio's is a joke, but I got them San Diego taco shops all over the place, maybe it would be more useful if I lived somewhere else.

I have no idea wtf a Lyfe Kitchen is, but that's just about the stupidest name I've ever heard.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
We've had a Blaze Pizza since last summer by my work. Not the "greatest pizza ever" good, but for like $8 and your custom pizza ready in ~3-4 minutes, it's REALLY friggin good. A pretty regular lunch stop and always packed (and still worth it. Just have to take it back to the office then)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
El Pollo Loco is only "Mexican inspired"? Then why can I personally confirm it has been all over Mexico since the 80s?

Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill tastes better than Chipotle
That's not hard.

mm04

Not impressed with The Habit. There's one near my house and I popped in one day for dinner and haven't been back since. El Pollo Loco? I don't remember a world where El Pollo didn't exist! Slowest up-and-coming ascension ever.

There's a LYFE Kitchen in Palo Alto, CA. I've been several times and have always had an enjoyable meal. They have several allergen and diet preference menus. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them around.

Boogie9IGN

The Habit is sooo good but while my mom loves El Pollo Loco, I hate it. Wish I had El Pollo Tropical instead ): And the Rubio's at the mall closed a year or so ago, I thought they weren't doing well (never liked it tbh)

Ceej

I am questioning if we ate at the same place... I love Lyfe Kitchen. as someone trying to lose and attain a healthy weight, it's nice to be able to go out and have a meal that isn't calorically devastating. Their burger on an oatmeal bun and their sweet potato fries are awesome.

EulaCapra

I have yet to try Lyfe Kitchen or Blaze Pizza. Pretty envious now especially with Lyfe Kitchen.

Habit, El Pollo Loco, and Rubio's not readily available outside of West Coast is blowing my mind.

ShowDog

Rubio's and El Pollo Loco have been SoCal institutions for decades. The Habit is pretty recent (as far as expansion goes, I know the original is pretty old) and is above average, but this Blaze pizza probably isn't as good as our local Pieology though I would love to compare. Hopefully Pieology hits it big.

We got a Lyfe kitchen in Texas. Food is good, especially their breakfast offerings if you care about eating healthy, but their prices are ridiculous. Meals can easily reach $20 for one person if you order multiple items. I stopped going there due to cost. Pollo Regio is the legit Mexican chicken place.

Just sayin, that Habit burger picture looks straight ripped off In'n'Out from the fry container to the burger wrapping and styling. Not saying it isn't possible they improved on it somehow but it does not look like it is bringing anything new to the table.

Lyfe seems like a neat concept but they would need to go deep into the spicing which might bring it out of range of normal fast food price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom