• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

woen

I'm just glad it wasn't nearly as gruesome as the MW3 ending, that was over the top. But really... the whole damn story is a venture in absurdity.

The SP part of the series has gone from you being a soldier with no gun to being a super hero in the future.

There is something to be said to telling the story of war from the standpoint of a regular soldier.

COD is not about playing a regular soldier, it's about playing one of the best or the best soldiers in a country or in a period, who achieved the best missions and who literally changed the course of things.

Look at Valiant Hearts or smaller games if you want something that has some things to say about the war, but it's not the purpose of a COD campaign.

RS4-

Not hearing foot steps is still fucking garbage.

Things they need to prioiritize
- reload glitch
- SOME goddamn foot noise
- garbage netcode
- TTK.

M4shy

Neo Member
Was thinking of picking this up at some point over the next few months on Steam or another digital platform.
Is it really that better than previous Call of Duty games? The last CoD I played was MW2/Blops 1 on the 360.

Frillen

So I haven't played the multiplayer since Tuesday because of the net code. Tried a game now in hope of it being fixed. First opponent I see *bam* killed in an instant, like I was with the auto aim bots back in the AQ2 days. Lol, if they don't fix this fast this will be the fastest bail out I've had with a CoD yet!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
change the default ping in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare\players2\config_mp.cfg from 800 to something lower and it helps

Cc23830

First time I rage quit today. Was absolutely ridiculous to the point where a whole clip produced hit markers and the player didn't go down, surprise surprise he took me down in three. I am a huge fan of this game, but they need the dedicated servers ASAP

Hip Hop

I can't believe how good these maps are. Can't say I have one that I hate.

Sure, you have the usual "roof" players but these maps still have a sense of flow. Unlike Ghosts. Shit was all over the place. A bunch of paths to take and what not.

First time I rage quit today. Was absolutely ridiculous to the point where a whole clip produced hit markers and the player didn't go down, surprise surprise he took me down in three. I am a huge fan of this game, but they need the dedicated servers ASAP

Yup. The game is not what is killing it this time like in the past. It's the damn hit detection/connections that will bring it down.

I just played against someone who not only mastered Quick Scoping with the Atlas, but also mastered the dash move while doing it. Fuck that guy, lol.

Must have killed me about 15 times in a game of momentum.

You're making me not want to pick up this COD but that's ok because Titanfall is such a beast. Are you on PC? because there's tons of people on Xbox One
Stay away from AW if you haven't already made the mistake of purchasing it. I'd wait out dedicated servers and the first few patches to see if SH is truly listening to feedback.

I'm playing TF on Xbox One, but the population is still pretty low.

I was kinda disappointed when I found out there was nobody playing CTF last night. It's one of my favorite modes in FPS' but apparently nobody else likes it.

Game needs 50% higher TTK and strangely enough for a CoD title; considerably bigger melee range. Unless you literally press against an enemy without realising it pays better to always shoot in extreme close range which is weird as fuck.

With those tweaks combat would be pretty perfect.

50% higher TTK seems like too much. 25% at most, but maybe just 15%. The hugely annoying thing is feeling like you go down in 1-2 shots, yet you put 5-6 in your enemy. Maybe they are aiming better/at the head, but with the poor netcode, I can't tell, and that's what's bothering me.

There are times when I feel like I'm playing Halo, other times when I feel like I'm playing Hardcore TDM. I just don't know what the problem is: TTK? Weapon damage? Lag?

I just want to know, so I can improve. Yet if it's lag, I can't do crap.

That is how it should be honestly. Loud enough that a headset will just be there as an option, not something mandatory. CoD4 through MW2 did footsteps correct where you did not need a headset for hearing someone running around. After MW2, they seem to think that its some cheap way to get kills when its purpose is to punish those running around aimlessly and play smarter.

MW2 was an offender too though. People running around with those stupid Lightweight classes stabbing everyone :(

But, despite this, I don't wish for people to use better technology to invalidate the perk. I don't feel that's fair. If there's a way for sound to be heard that everyone can benefit from, then that's cool.

In COD4, I could hear the direction of footsteps through the TV speakers. I feel like in games like MW2, if I'm not mistaken, you could use headphones to amplify sounds of Dead Silence users?

Anyways,

https://gfycat.com/LargeHomelyBobolink#

He is capping the flag and protecting himself from what I assume is the paladin.

Great use of the shield right here. I think one improvement to exos is that they should be deployable a little quicker. The shield seems like a fine design, though I wonder if it becomes redundant since there is already a shield for a weapon loadout.

I think if exo abilities could be used quicker, we could see some better uses. People dont want to use the exo if it leaves them vulnerable when activating, which is the case.

Argonomic

COD is not about playing a regular soldier, it's about playing one of the best or the best soldiers in a country or in a period, who achieved the best missions and who literally changed the course of things.
The whole point of CoD was about being a regular soldier. No one fights alone.

Look at Valiant Hearts or smaller games if you want something that has some things to say about the war, but it's not the purpose of a COD campaign.

Or any of the IW 1.0 CoDs. You could look at those.

It boggles my mind that the ttk is so damn short when they already have hardcore modes that are even shorter. At least put in an increased health mode or something. That's all I would play, especially with the current network issues.

50% higher TTK seems like too much. 25% at most, but maybe just 15%. The hugely annoying thing is feeling like you go down in 1-2 shots, yet you put 5-6 in your enemy. Maybe they are aiming better/at the head, but with the poor netcode, I can't tell, and that's what's bothering me.

So many times I've been sure that I shot first, not only that but got off 5-6 shots meanwhile feeling like I only got shot once or twice.

Watching the replay and the who shot first is usually debatable but it always shows me getting shot 6-8 times, half the time it doesn't feel like that at all.

15% increase in TTK would be great. It's definitely a bit too short with the exo movements.

SP is still too narrowly focused imho. Don't need to use any strategy to get rid of the enemies. Just go forward. Shoot. Go forward some more. Some events happen. Yay. Shoot some more. Go forward. Press a button. See another cutscene.

Golden Gate Bridge level is a perfect example how COD is doing SP so wrong. The only good things I can say about the campaign is that it has Kevin Spacey, great fucking graphics and that's it.

They really need to open up their campaign because this is really getting tiresome.

I'm giving it a 5/10 for Campaign.

I'm still very much enjoying the MP however. It is so good that this might be the first time I actually get a Season Pass for COD. FFS.

Play on hardened or veteran and you at least have to use cover and take out enemies quickly.

The whole point of CoD was about being a regular soldier. No one fights alone.

Or any of the IW 1.0 CoDs. You could look at those.

Would be pretty cool to see both Battlefield and COD go back to WWII/Nam. Especially Battlefield. The near-future setting bores me to tears, and I miss the open environments and soldier designs of old.

Hard to focus on the complexities of war when modern games are fictitious and further removed from. I'd even be down for alt history/sci fi a la Resistance/Wolfenstein.

I swear, I'd love Naughty Dog to lead the industry into focusing on WWII again.

BigShow36

So I'm selling this game after 4 days.

Last night I decided to record a few clips;
One
Two
Three
Four

These are examples of what I experience every single game, practically every other kill and those clips were recorded on a night where the connection is the best is has been. It's just not fun.

Cavalier

Banned
Play on hardened or veteran and you at least have to use cover and take out enemies quickly.
I still have 4 more levels to go. I'm thinking about starting over at Hardened.

It boggles my mind that the ttk is so damn short when they already have hardcore modes that are even shorter. At least put in an increased health mode or something. That's all I would play, especially with the current network issues.

TTK is about the same but there are so many times when exo saved my ass. It actually works quite well for its purpose.

Daffy Duck

It honestly feels like I have zero control over how well I do... Everything seems to come down to dumb luck. I've never felt like this in a shooter before. I can't tell what I did differently in a game where I'm 5-13 and a game where I go 18-5.

Some games I agree with you totally. I do nothing different yet got 5-26 next game I go 26-13, it just seems so random

Game started clicking with me last night ater two hours of playtime. My W/L is garbage becuase I was strictly running TDM with randoms, but my K/D is on a steady rise. Anyone looking for a good PSN partner, add me: RJN It really is all about strafing. Most people will be running, see you, and either
A) Stop and hold L2 and start shooting you
B) Hold L2 and keep moving forward slowly while shooting you

If you have a chance to use the exo evade move (click L3 and move left or right), you'll probably lose em and get the kill. From my experience anyway. And it definitely feels like I have to pour whole magazines into people... But it's probably netcode issues plus playing on wifi.

So I'm selling this game after 4 days.

Last night I decided to record a few clips;
One
Two
Three
Four

These are examples of what I experience every single game, practically every other kill and those clips were recorded on a night where the connection is the best is has been. It's just not fun.
Yep, pretty much every game. Shoot first and get multiple hitmarkers, enemy turns around and fires 1-2 shots, you die.

I hated BO2 but still stuck with it. I can't believe I've given up on a CoD this fast. SH is hands down the worst developer for CoD.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure there's an option at the main menu to choose which mode (Campaign, Multiplayer, or Exo Survival) you want the game to default to when it first boots up.

Correct. At the mode screen press triangle (PS4) or Y (XB1) to set one as default.

There's no option unless it's hidden. "Y" doesn't do anything at the campaign/multi/survival main menu. I've tried everything I can think of and no dice.

wrongway

I can usually tell right away if the lag is messing with me or i'm playing badly 90% of the times i end up with a negative score is related to lag. I do pretty good otherwise quite consistently. I don't think it's random at all except for those times the game just lags.
That's my feeling too. I'm not a great player by any means, I can pull a solid score in terms of objective points and KDR pretty consistantly when the game isn't a laggy shitfest. When I do end up in a laggy game, I can't get anything done and maybe hit 1:1 if I'm lucky.

Why is it that the game still has the worst gun sounds ever? With all the fucking money the series makes you would think that they would finally start to put some effort into them. Everything still sounds like a squirrel's wet fart.
To be fair, it doesn't have plastic toy syndrome as bad as past titles. In a post-BF3/BF4 world though, they really need to pick it up. DICE's excellent sound crew really raised the bar.

Have the gun sounds always been this awful? For some reason they really bother me this time.

Playing with good headphones, I think the guns sound great. Really punchy and lots of depth, to me they hit harder than the guns in BF4. I'm sure some guns sound better than others though. To me, Battlefield has always done a better job at making guns sound realistic within the space, whereas CoD's approach is more action-movieish. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

DukeSucks

I've put my thoughts into a video, my first of the kind. I hate the sound of my own voice so I have no idea how this has come out.

http://youtu.be/2TTnTKAtuvo

I wrote out an entire script for this and I feel that it's better as print than spoken word. Next time I think I may just make bullet points of ideas and form my vocal thoughts around them rather than reading verbatim.

I'm a trained historian, I am more than proficient with the written word, but I don't believe the written and spoken are so easily interchangeable.

Nice video, I enjoyed it.

Wollveren

Banned
Sorry if I missed it or something, but is there any GAF clan or something? Just farming the Zombie skin atm but usually I play alone or sometimes with a friend. Getting kind of bored and in search for a clan or something.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger and waste money on this. Sounds like trash multiplayer with a serviceable SP mode.

Good ol' reviews I tell ya.

Radec

Just had a 3 game with scores like 8-23.

I'm beginning to hate this game.

Fucking exo and my pin going crazy. Red to full 4 bars then back to red in seconds.

Gorillaz

So far I think this is the first cod since MW2 that I actually enjoyed in terms of meta game. It basically feels like where CoD was going to head movement wise after MW2. If your not a run and gun type, your most likely shit out of luck unfortunately. However I do love the fact that this feels like the first time in years where you can flush out campers or K/D perfectionist in awhile. So many routes can be created so many ways to flank objectives. Honestly KS aren't even that important to me anymore.

A few things need to be worked tho.

Servers (obviously)
TTK needs to be raised a slight bit, I like that they made it so it's not just a "who sees who first wins" fest and allowed people to get out of situations quick

Exo abilities need some sort of recharge counter...and a buff but I find most of them useless so I can live without it

Map aesthetics....man I might not be a fan of 3arc approach to the games but at least Black Ops 2 had some eye candy. These maps, expect the jungle one look like shit.

that's all I can think about right now

I have only played COD multiplayer locally with my friend against bots.

If I was to go online and get slaughtered would I rank up?

Also is there a gaf community for Xbox one?

And lastly, would I hear people through my sound system talking or do I need to use a head set to stop chatter blaring through the sound bar?

Glad I didn't pull the trigger and waste money on this. Sounds like trash multiplayer with a serviceable SP mode.

Good ol' reviews I tell ya.
You lucked out. Ghosts sucked, but was leaps and bounds better than AW. AW has a solid and amazing SP, but Ghosts MP, as bad as it was, was infinitely better than the current state of MP in AW.

Top Bottom