• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Barrett2

the jet fighter mission in SP is so bad. The range of motion and control they give you is hilariously small.

Overall I think the storytelling is really solid in the campaign, though I feel the set piece action moments are a little flat.

Cavalier

Banned
SP is still too narrowly focused imho. Don't need to use any strategy to get rid of the enemies. Just go forward. Shoot. Go forward some more. Some events happen. Yay. Shoot some more. Go forward. Press a button. See another cutscene.

Golden Gate Bridge level is a perfect example how COD is doing SP so wrong. The only good things I can say about the campaign is that it has Kevin Spacey, great fucking graphics and that's it.

They really need to open up their campaign because this is really getting tiresome.

I'm giving it a 5/10 for Campaign.

I'm still very much enjoying the MP however. It is so good that this might be the first time I actually get a Season Pass for COD. FFS.

Sorry, I didn't mean to call it cheap.

I don't like that silencing footsteps is an exo ability though, since abilities are useless

I liked the sound design in COD4. I could hear all kinds of footsteps and didn't need headphones to get an advantage. I don't know how I feel about people buying expensive headphones and getting an advantage that way.

That is how it should be honestly. Loud enough that a headset will just be there as an option, not something mandatory. CoD4 through MW2 did footsteps correct where you did not need a headset for hearing someone running around. After MW2, they seem to think that its some cheap way to get kills when its purpose is to punish those running around aimlessly and play smarter.

Last night after a bunch of frustrating lag rounds on x1, we dropped our xbox live party which seemed to help,the stuttering lag disappeared. Probably a fluke but thought it was worth mentioning.

HelloMeow

The BAL definitely is OP.

I've been using the SN6 almost exclusively (because it looks cool), which was working well enough. Today I decided to see how much better the BAL was, since I've seen some people complaining about it. I feel like I barely have to look at someone with it to get a kill. It's so much better than the SN6.

It's better up close and it's one of the best long range weapons in the game... Why didn't I try it sooner?

Bumhead

Banned
SP is still too narrowly focused imho. Don't need to use any strategy to get rid of the enemies. Just go forward. Shoot. Go forward some more. Some events happen. Yay. Shoot some more. Go forward. Press a button. See another cutscene.

Golden Gate Bridge level is a perfect example how COD is doing SP so wrong. The only good things I can say about the campaign is that it has Kevin Spacey, great fucking graphics and that's it.

They really need to open up their campaign because this is really getting tiresome.

I'm giving it a 5/10 for Campaign.

I'm still very much enjoying the MP however. It is so good that this might be the first time I actually get a Season Pass for COD. FFS.

Isn't this just Call of Duty campaigns though?

Black Ops 2 aside, which did legitimately try some different things, I think this is pretty much just how COD campaigns shake down now. By this point, you know what you're getting. They're just defined by more subjective things like your feelings on the narrative and story, how you feel about pacing etc. To that end I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.

One thing I will say about the campaign is that it's visually inconsistent. I feel like the first mission and
New Baghdad
could be from different games. Parts of the latter look really ropey to me.

I've put my thoughts into a video, my first of the kind. I hate the sound of my own voice so I have no idea how this has come out.

http://youtu.be/2TTnTKAtuvo

I wrote out an entire script for this and I feel that it's better as print than spoken word. Next time I think I may just make bullet points of ideas and form my vocal thoughts around them rather than reading verbatim.

I'm a trained historian, I am more than proficient with the written word, but I don't believe the written and spoken are so easily interchangeable.

Hazaku

Sorry, I didn't mean to call it cheap.

I don't like that silencing footsteps is an exo ability though, since abilities are useless

I liked the sound design in COD4. I could hear all kinds of footsteps and didn't need headphones to get an advantage. I don't know how I feel about people buying expensive headphones and getting an advantage that way.

If it makes you feel any better. I play this game using a variety of expensive headphones (not headsets) and can't hear footsteps ...

I'll happily take getting soundwhored in AW any day of the week over Sitrep pro/Amplify camping in MW3 and Ghosts though.

The ending... *Sigh*

I'm just glad it wasn't nearly as gruesome as the MW3 ending, that was over the top. But really... the whole damn story is a venture in absurdity.

The SP part of the series has gone from you being a soldier with no gun to being a super hero in the future.

There is something to be said to telling the story of war from the standpoint of a regular soldier.

Cavalier

Banned
Isn't this just Call of Duty campaigns though?

Black Ops 2 aside, which did legitimately try some different things, I think this is pretty much just how COD campaigns shake down now. By this point, you know what you're getting. They're just defined by more subjective things like your feelings on the narrative and story, how you feel about pacing etc. To that end I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.

One thing I will say about the campaign is that it's visually inconsistent. I feel like the first mission and
New Baghdad
could be from different games. Parts of the latter look really ropey to me.

I expected it to be different considering how they shook up in multiplayer. Multiplayer feels refreshed. I fucking love it. This was long overdue. Now for the next game, if they build upon this and come up with better open-ended campaign, it would be perfect.

Game is 'good' with poor campaign. It could be a lot better.

I've put my thoughts into a video, my first of the kind. I hate the sound of my own voice so I have no idea how this has come out.

I wrote out an entire script for this and I feel that it's better as print than spoken word. Next time I think I may just make bullet points of ideas and form my vocal thoughts around them rather than reading verbatim.

I'm a trained historian, I am more than proficient with the written word, but I don't believe the written and spoken are so easily interchangeable.
Good first video. You got talent kid. ;)

RedAssedApe

Banned
the jet fighter mission in SP is so bad. The range of motion and control they give you is hilariously small.

Overall I think the storytelling is really solid in the campaign, though I feel the set piece action moments are a little flat.
It can't be worse than the battlefield 3 one right? :/

Watching the first few minutes - I think your dot point idea would be better. You sound a bit too scripted, which makes you also sound fairly disinterested. Putting a bit more emotion into your commentary (without going overboard/sounding fake) would probably make for a more interesting video.

Overall though, seemed like a solid video!

You know you are playing a Call of Duty game when you are doing quick time events for things you can do as mechanics, like why even give me a double jump if the only time it comes in handy they just make it a QTE anyway.

Watching the first few minutes - I think your dot point idea would be better. You sound a bit too scripted, which makes you also sound fairly disinterested. Putting a bit more emotion into your commentary (without going overboard/sounding fake) would probably make for a more interesting video.

Overall though, seemed like a solid video!
Thank you for the constructive criticism. You aren't the only one who has mentioned that.

I naturally speak very monotone so it's something I'll have to work on.

I know this is only semi-relevant to this topic, but since I wanted to post a follow-up to my last post about it: I bought MW1 for when I get frustrated with AW, and just wow. That game not only still holds up, it's a completely different experience on PC with custom servers. Still a good amount of people playing.

Really wish AW could get with the program. I feel like, at its core, it's as solid as MW1 is/was. I'll still keep playing but it's really frustrating and it's been keeping me from recommending it to friends... Also withholding funds for the season pass, which I am eager to throw money at. SHG pls, I'll give you all the money you want, just do what needs to be done.

alterno69

Banned
It honestly feels like I have zero control over how well I do... Everything seems to come down to dumb luck. I've never felt like this in a shooter before. I can't tell what I did differently in a game where I'm 5-13 and a game where I go 18-5.
I can usually tell right away if the lag is messing with me or i'm playing badly 90% of the times i end up with a negative score is related to lag. I do pretty good otherwise quite consistently. I don't think it's random at all except for those times the game just lags.

Silky

Banned
Because the movement has a lack of momentum and speed building really hampers my thoughts on the EXO system. I LOVE the air-dashes, dash canceling, boost-dodging, boost-sliding, but...jesus, having it all set to a certain speed with no sense of speed building kind of ruins it for me.

Otherwise AW MP is pretty good.

Ensoul

It honestly feels like I have zero control over how well I do... Everything seems to come down to dumb luck. I've never felt like this in a shooter before. I can't tell what I did differently in a game where I'm 5-13 and a game where I go 18-5.

I tend to agree. You are not safe anywhere for any amount of time in this game. One game you get shot in the back and from the side all game and another you luck out and don't.

I think this is the most restrictive and non interactive Call of Duty campaign i have ever played.

I've only played the first four or five levels but I'd have to agree. It reminds me of BF3 where the game doesn't give a shit you exist. Everything is automated and you're just there hanging out. At one point, a character wanted to be where I was and pushed through me, smashing me inside of a table where I was stuck for a few minutes.

I had some fun with it but it's kind of weird to feel as if you're entirely pointless even as the protagonist of the story.

I thought maybe it'd just been so long since I played one and I didn't realize it before. I'm nearing the end and there has only been one level that wasn't "follow dude". It's absolutely nuts and really hampers the experience.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Why is it that the game still has the worst gun sounds ever? With all the fucking money the series makes you would think that they would finally start to put some effort into them. Everything still sounds like a squirrel's wet fart.

Ensoul

Just a random thought. I looked at the leaderboards. Some people have over 3 days played. How is that possible? That is like 15 hours a day people are putting in.

They need to do a documentary on these people because I am extremely courious what kind of person has that much time on their hands.

Just a random thought. I looked at the leaderboards. Some people have over 3 days played. How is that possible? That is like 15 hours a day people are putting in.

They need to do a documentary on these people because I am extremely courious what kind of person has that much time on their hands.

It's Call of Duty®.

Does anyone know how to unlock the Sentinel gear? Is it random like everything else, or tied to the campaign or something?

Seems like everyone who has it, has it all. Don't think it's a pre-order or collectors item.

This might come as a shock, but there are now people making a living of streaming themselves playing the game over the internet.

Lima

You do realize that there are are entire crews playing 24/7 in shifts on the same account to be the first to get prestige master? Oh and they also get paid to do it. Crazy times

Does anyone know how to unlock the Sentinel gear? Is it random like everything else, or tied to the campaign or something?

Seems like everyone who has it, has it all. Don't think it's a pre-order or collectors item.

i got a sentinel medic pants in a supply drop last night. It was quickly exchanged for 500 xp

SilentFlyer

Last night I unlocked Tier 2 maps in Exo Survival. Today after playing one match in Tier2 maps when I looked into maps, tier 2 maps where locked again. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Returners

Last night I unlocked Tier 2 maps in Exo Survival. Today after playing one match in Tier2 maps when I looked into maps, tier 2 maps where locked again. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Private match vs local play?

Speaking of which, anyone unlocked riot yet?

luffeN

Why is there no RAW input on PC? I read up on the internet and if you set in_mouse 1 to in_mouse 2 then you will have RAW input in the mp_config. As soon as I am connected to the servers and in the lobby I lose the RAW input ... why?! This is so unncessary!

BokehKing

Banned
You pretty much have to run care package, how else are you going to get each maps unique 'killstreak'

Some you simply activate, some you actually Control yourself

I finished the campaign last night, is there supposed to be a mission after the credits or something?

There is a mission in the list called "Democracy" I haven't unlocked.

EL CUCO

You pretty much have to run care package, how else are you going to get each maps unique 'killstreak'

Some you simply activate, some you actually Control yourself

Yup. I had to remove the 3rd killstreak since I rarely got to it in this game. So now I just run UAV and Care package and been doing just fine.

Hopefully when I unlock Hardline, I can get to that 3rd more frequently. I don't remember a COD that ever had Hardline as one of the last perks to unlock...level 47 I think.

So does anybody know who the current community manager for this COD is and/or official COD blog that documents hotfixes and such?

It would be nice to get a response to some of the deficiencies in this game soon.

BokehKing

Banned
Yup. I had to remove the 3rd killstreak since I rarely got to it in this game. So now I just run UAV and Care package and been doing just fine.

Hopefully when I unlock Hardline, I can get to that 3rd more frequently. I don't remember a COD that ever had Hardline as one of the last perks to unlock...level 47 I think.
I don't live long enough to get scorestreaks, all mine are +600 additional points so they accumulate after death.

Like my UAV is 1000 points, call it twice a match but I modify it so it shows guys through walls

greenfish

Banned
I refuse to register on activision crap forums.

They said we'd have dedicated servers, we don't have any. On twitter they are ignoring everyone asking for servers.

Yesterday I couldn't find any games on FFA (PC, Europe). I'm I gonna assume:

Game is already dead on PC or fucking p2p?

Where are the servers!??!

Beat the campaign yesterday, I really enjoyed it.
Loved all the cool futuristic tech and the missions kept escalating in excitement.

Unfortunately the multiplayer just didn't click with me.
I loved the movement and there were a lot of fun game modes, but I always felt like I was dying instantly and being shot from the side/behind.
It reminded me a lot of my frustrating time with MW3, so I uninstalled it to make room for Halo MCC.

This story seem to only be decent if you don't think about it too much.
Why can I reload my pistol one handed when hanging off the side of a bus but not when my robot hand breaks?
Why would Irons keep a recording of the one thing that could ruin him?
How does a terrorist group manage to coordinate a strike on 10+ nuclear power plants simultaneously across the world?
How does a terrorist goup manage to get Same launchers and tanks into Seattle without someone noticeing?
Why must this game be stuffed with so many super villan cliches?

That's a good vid. You have a slightly monotone voice but nothing insane. With some practice that can be fixed. You'll do fine.

Top Bottom