• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

keezy

I got the AK12 R.I.P. out of a regular supply drop. Pretty underwhelming...

Sticking with my BAL-Carbon until I get one of the elite BAL variants. On paper/in-game the BAL is the superior weapon. Especially medium range.

Super Late to the Party but I wanna start a team for fun if anyone wants to try

My username on PS3 is p4nd4st1c and I usually play this on the PS3.

I do try hard most of the time but sometimes I switch it up by doing joke guns and try out my best.

Used to play a lot of Domination but now I'm playing more of Hardcore Team Deathmatch and Kill Confirmed.

I highly recommend people watch this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p2_UBWbqOk

Some mind blowing stuff in here. Or not depending on if you already follow youtubers/the competitive scene. It's over an hour but it's really worth watching, or at least as background noise to listen to, it's essentially a podcast of sorts detailing the issues with modern CoD. Apparently the theory here is that the last few CoD games have lag built in, to lower the skill gap so the game appeals to more people since it's easier to get kills on skilled players, and gives skilled players an artificial skill ceiling so they can never progress to their true potential. Meaning the competitive scene is a joke. There are a lot of comments that will sound like he's just a BF fanboy, but he addresses that, there's some cringe-worthy jokes and he is a little abrasive at times, but overall I found this to be really insightful and he brought up some well constructed points and information. He also talks about the relationship that popular streamers like Driftor and Ali-a have with Activision and how they're essentially in business with them, that's why you never see this specific form of criticism from the big streamers. And he also touches on what CoD could be like if it still wasn't built on an archaic engine and shitty server infrastructure. It's a really good listen, you can agree or disagree, but everything he says seems to make sense, whether there is truth to it or not I'm not sure. Driftor sent a really blunt, dismissive reply to a previous video regarding the lag pretty much saying it's non-existent and you shouldn't listen to what this guy has to say, then later apologized for saying that. I also think Driftor mentioned this in one of his own videos and provided his own videos showing tests but they don't really test exactly what this video describes. Anyway, this post is too long. If you have some free time, listen/watch. I still like all streamers mentioned btw.

The idea that lag is built into the game to narrow the skillgap is beyond stupid.

At least the whole skill-based matchmaking thing is half proven (it's proven that it's in the game and that the game uses it somewhat to determine matchmaking, but there is no proof that it is more heavily influencing than in previous games.)

Here I'll save everyone the trouble of watching a dumb speculative video and just tell you what is actually in the game: There is SOME (as in like 50ms) worth of built in lag that comes from simply how the game was programmed. This was a side effect, NOT DELIBERATE. Meanwhile the servers very often use dedicated servers, especially if you play on next gen (this has been tested by Drift0r) to minimize latency. The game also leans more on the forgiving side in terms of avoiding death, leading to less "shot around the corner" deaths, but as a result is more harsh in terms of accuracy for hitting players (this has been tested and shown by someone else whose username I forgot.)

Lrrr

How's this game?
Is the multiplayer better than past years?
Is lag still a problem in MP?
What about spawning?
Weapon balance?

Basically, did they finally address some legacy problems with MP?

Tokubetsu

It's much much better than Ghosts. I've enjoyed my time with more than I did MW3. BLOPS2 still the gold standard for this post classic IW era CoD.

If you didn't care much for CoD before you won't now.

IISANDERII

How's this game?
What about spawning?
Weapon balance?

Far worse than previous years. Hit detection/latency/lag whatever you wanna call it is terrible. The spawning would make a koala bear rage.

Lrrr

It's much much better than Ghosts. I've enjoyed my time with more than I did MW3. BLOPS2 still the gold standard for this post classic IW era CoD.

If you didn't care much for CoD before you won't now.

I did enjoy CoD previously; just got burned out on it. I haven't played one since BLOPS.

Far worse than previous years. Hit detection/latency/lag whatever you wanna call it is terrible. The spawning would make a koala bear rage.

Seriously? Maybe because I've been out of the CoD fandom loop, but I haven't heard people screaming about this one like they did with Ghosts. Yeah, even I heard the complaints about the MP in that one.

IISANDERII

I did enjoy CoD previously; just got burned out on it. I haven't played one since BLOPS.

Seriously? Maybe because I've been out of the CoD fandom loop, but I haven't heard people screaming about this one like they did with Ghosts. Yeah, even I heard the complaints about the MP in that one.
Ghost had great hit detection so it had that going for it.

Actually, while the hit detection isn't as good as ghosts it is about on par with BO2, which wasn't that bad. The only difference is that this game leans more towards the side of people escaping death when they shouldn't have where as BO2 had people getting shot "around corners".

The spawns are better than people say. I play TDM and I can say for certain that if you actually take the time to keep track of where your teammates aren't you will rarely if ever get killed from behind and most supposed spawn kills are actually flankers that ran around the map to get you (unless it's urban but every CoD has its shitty tiny spawn kill map).

The real problem with AW is the weapon balance. It's basically BALs and ASM1s and HBRa3 Insanities and Hole Punchers. Especially in S&D.

I remember BO2 and in even in S&D you actually saw a hell of a lot of variety, such as shotguns actually being used due to not being worthless pieces of crap.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The spawns are better than people say. I play TDM and I can say for certain that if you actually take the time to keep track of where your teammates aren't you will rarely if ever get killed from behind and most supposed spawn kills are actually flankers that ran around the map to get you (unless it's urban but every CoD has its shitty tiny spawn kill map).

Normal spawns weren't bad, but getting to the other side of a map only took a few seconds with all the jumping, that was the problem.

Revenge spawns are awful though, and happen very frequently.

How's this game?
What about spawning?
Weapon balance?

Absolutely not. Everything from CoD4 up to BO2 is vastly better. It's debatable if AW is better than Ghosts or not, but I feel out of the two Ghosts is the better game. Ghosts started out very rough, mostly due to poor maps, but the DLC maps were terrific. You could tell the devs listened to complaints and I feel they improved the game immensely.

Some of the complaints I feel Ghost got slammed with are even worse in AW. For example a lot of people complained the killstreaks were boring or underpowered. Coming off of BO2 where they were way over powered and unbalanced, it may seem that way, but they were way more effective than the awful killstreaks in AW. The higher killstreaks are very poor so you see a lot of people running the lower ones and just getting them over and over again, so you end up in matches with endless System Hacks and such. Very, very boring.

Again, it feels even worse than previous years. I thought Ghosts ran pretty solid online, but AW is a huge step down. A lot of people blame it on the skill based matchmaking, but the games have had some form of that for a while anyway. Whatever they're doing for AW just isn't working. It constantly feels like you're behind the game and when you're not, it's painfully obvious that you have some kind of latency advantage. It rarely feels fair either way. Expect a lot of your character just dropping dead, then having to watch the killcam to even confirm you were being shot at.

What about spawning?

That's a tough one. I don't think it's as bad as say, MW3 during its worst patches or when they broke the spawning in the Face Off where it would spawn guys directly behind you, but the speed at which people can move across the map leaves very little safe room to spawn in, so you're still going to get some bad ones.

Weapon balance?

Again, it's at an all time low, in my opinion. There's 2-3 guns everyone uses and that's it. If you're lucky you'll have 1 guy using a sniper and 1 guy with a shotgun in a game. The weapon variants make it even worse since the drops are completely random and it seems you get the best drops at the start of your online career, so if you didn't get the good ones like the ASM1 Speakeasy, you really are at a disadvantage. I personally didn't get anything good and all I get out of drops now is garbage.

Overall, I think it's the worst CoD I've played, and I've been playing them all yearly since 4. I'm not too hard to please either, I even enjoyed my time with the "bad" ones. I loved MW3 until they broke the Face Off mode's spawns (that's when I quit playing because I loved that mode) and I really enjoyed Ghosts after the map pack releases, but I'm struggling to find anything to like about AW. Even the map packs feel uninspired and dull.

Metfanant

I truly don't understand how anyone can even entertain the idea that the spawning is anything other than abysmal...the fact that my friends and I almost exclusively play HC TDM might exacerbate the issue, but the stories we could tell of ridiculous spawns (both beneficial and detrimental) is absurd

It doesn't help that the maps are WAY too small for the speed at which people can get around them either...

I actually like the game a lot, but I really don't have words to describe the spawning

I truly don't understand how anyone can even entertain the idea that the spawning is anything other than abysmal...the fact that my friends and I almost exclusively play HC TDM might exacerbate the issue, but the stories we could tell of ridiculous spawns (both beneficial and detrimental) is absurd

It doesn't help that the maps are WAY too small for the speed at which people can get around them either...

I actually like the game a lot, but I really don't have words to describe the spawning

I like game quite a bit to but in Blops 1 I used to able to get 5-6 KS bonuses pretty regularly, whenever I play AW I feel lucky if I get 3. I rarely get a 5-6 one in AW, hell I hardly ever see someone get a 9 ks bonus.

Normal spawns weren't bad, but getting to the other side of a map only took a few seconds with all the jumping, that was the problem.

Revenge spawns are awful though, and happen very frequently.

When I think bad, I think of MW3 where you literally would constantly see the enemy spawn. AW is like BO2 where on rare occasion you will spawn NEAR an enemy (no sight lines though). But again, you can predict those spawns if you keep track of where your teammates are and are not with the exception of tiny maps like urban and perplex.

HC TDM actually would be the one kind of TDM where spawns can be a problem due to enemy and ally players spawning simultaneously, which I'm certain screws up the spawn logic. It also doesn't help that you don't have a mini map to help you predict enemy spawns.

Metfanant

I like game quite a bit to but in Blops 1 I used to able to get 5-6 KS bonuses pretty regularly, whenever I play AW I feel lucky if I get 3. I rarely get a 5-6 one in AW, hell I hardly ever see someone get a 9 ks bonus.

Probably don't see streaks because whenever you've gotten 2-3 kills you're bound to have an enemy spawn feet behind you with you facing the other direction...

HC TDM actually would be the one kind of TDM where spawns can be a problem due to enemy and ally players spawning simultaneously, which I'm certain screws up the spawn logic. It also doesn't help that you don't have a mini map to help you predict enemy spawns.

It's a DISASTER in HC TDM...the number of times I've spawned simultaneously in the same room is just unbelievable...or running through a room and have an enemy spawn feet in front of me...

Or the times where I'm ADS and have an enemy literally spawn with my red dot in the middle of their chest..and I'm not talking about camping a spawn, but moving through a room or area and pulling up my sights and having a guy just spawn there...

It's just brutal

Lrrr

Absolutely not. Everything from CoD4 up to BO2 is vastly better. It's debatable if AW is better than Ghosts or not, but I feel out of the two Ghosts is the better game. Ghosts started out very rough, mostly due to poor maps, but the DLC maps were terrific. You could tell the devs listened to complaints and I feel they improved the game immensely.

Some of the complaints I feel Ghost got slammed with are even worse in AW. For example a lot of people complained the killstreaks were boring or underpowered. Coming off of BO2 where they were way over powered and unbalanced, it may seem that way, but they were way more effective than the awful killstreaks in AW. The higher killstreaks are very poor so you see a lot of people running the lower ones and just getting them over and over again, so you end up in matches with endless System Hacks and such. Very, very boring.

Again, it feels even worse than previous years. I thought Ghosts ran pretty solid online, but AW is a huge step down. A lot of people blame it on the skill based matchmaking, but the games have had some form of that for a while anyway. Whatever they're doing for AW just isn't working. It constantly feels like you're behind the game and when you're not, it's painfully obvious that you have some kind of latency advantage. It rarely feels fair either way. Expect a lot of your character just dropping dead, then having to watch the killcam to even confirm you were being shot at.

What about spawning?

That's a tough one. I don't think it's as bad as say, MW3 during its worst patches or when they broke the spawning in the Face Off where it would spawn guys directly behind you, but the speed at which people can move across the map leaves very little safe room to spawn in, so you're still going to get some bad ones.

Weapon balance?

Again, it's at an all time low, in my opinion. There's 2-3 guns everyone uses and that's it. If you're lucky you'll have 1 guy using a sniper and 1 guy with a shotgun in a game. The weapon variants make it even worse since the drops are completely random and it seems you get the best drops at the start of your online career, so if you didn't get the good ones like the ASM1 Speakeasy, you really are at a disadvantage. I personally didn't get anything good and all I get out of drops now is garbage.

Overall, I think it's the worst CoD I've played, and I've been playing them all yearly since 4. I'm not too hard to please either, I even enjoyed my time with the "bad" ones. I loved MW3 until they broke the Face Off mode's spawns (that's when I quit playing because I loved that mode) and I really enjoyed Ghosts after the map pack releases, but I'm struggling to find anything to like about AW. Even the map packs feel uninspired and dull.

Very detailed and insightful. Thanks so much for this. It's sad to hear that CoD has fallen this far. :(

I'll just wait til everyone hops AW for Blops 3, I find the player gap somehow changes everytime a new game comes out. All the tryhards and noobs just hop to the new game and everyone who genuinely love the old games (me included) play it well after the fact. It's just fun playing the older games and despite what people say about AW, I like it (but I found a way to just aleviate the lag by waking up early morning before everyone uses the internet and just play for hours)

Also, that's sad to hear that Drift0r has some deals with Activision (conflict of interets). I'll still watch his videos but taking his opinion with a grain of salt next time.

It's a DISASTER in HC TDM...the number of times I've spawned simultaneously in the same room is just unbelievable...or running through a room and have an enemy spawn feet in front of me...

Or the times where I'm ADS and have an enemy literally spawn with my red dot in the middle of their chest..and I'm not talking about camping a spawn, but moving through a room or area and pulling up my sights and having a guy just spawn there...

It's just brutal
Like I said, HCTDM is the exception. Something about having spawn waves in which a bunch of ally and enemy players all spawn at once must be messing with the spawn logic because I don't see nearly as much bad spawning in core TDM.

I also forgot to put instinct in my list of maps with bad spawns. The stairs side of the cave entry in particular is known to spawn enemies even when you are running around the corner from the cave.

bradman

Neo Member

What about spawning?

Weapon balance?

Really sums up my experience with AW as well. The first CoD I've completely abandoned; played them all since OG Xbox.

Donos

quick question: just rented AW for PS4 and it started to download a 4.599 GB patch. I just want to play through the SP on hard till tomorrow and bring it back.
Any reason to wait till the patch is downloaded? Anything important regarding SP?
I guess most changes are for MP.

edit: lol, PS4 is downloading the patch like there is no tomorrow (i have 50mbit down), guess i will just wait 10mins more to be safe.

Edit2: played through it on hardened and had fun. And wow at the cutscenes and the faces. Very nice tech. This thread seems dead oO.

keezy

got an asm1 royalty and an obsidian steed last night in a couple of supply drops.

those guns make the game seem like easy mode.

I love picking up BAL royalty's. You really don't even have to try. That gun just melts people. You should get an achievement for unlocking those variants "You win: CoD".

Lrrr

Sry, me confused. Do you mean the total filesize of the installed game?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Picked up the game for $16. The multiplayer UI was a little confusing for a bit as there's no tutorial or anything. When I was in a match and heard I got a "supply drop", I thought it was a killstreak reward and tried to call it in. LOL

Daffy Duck

I used up all my luck getting the AK12 R.I.P, Bal Inferno, HBRa3 Insanity and Hole Puncher.

I've had zero of anything else since the early days, it's all crap sniper rifles that I don't use, and pistols. I have got both elite MK14's but I've not used them and also a Chicanery but again I just don't use them.

No chances of me getting the Speakeasy, Obsidian Steed or any legendary weapons.

Every ASD/SD I get awarded is either a set of knee pads or a pistol.

keezy

I used up all my luck getting the AK12 R.I.P, Bal Inferno, HBRa3 Insanity and Hole Puncher.

I've had zero of anything else since the early days, it's all crap sniper rifles that I don't use, and pistols. I have got both elite MK14's but I've not used them and also a Chicanery but again I just don't use them.

No chances of me getting the Speakeasy, Obsidian Steed or any legendary weapons.

Every ASD/SD I get awarded is either a set of knee pads or a pistol.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you get a variant of the MP44. I haven't used it but I've watched a few videos this morning. Looks OP... Even better than the BAL.

Also, the AK12 RIP isn't that good. You're not missing out on anything.

Go to guns right now are the ASM1 speakeasy/strider/magnitude
followed by the KF5 Single Stack then the ARX160 Hole Puncher

Still want to get the Obsidian Steed, Inferno, Goliath, and Insanity ;_;

keezy

Just got the inferno out of an advanced supply drop yesterday when I hit level 40 on my 4th prestige. I can't believe they'd even put this in the game. My KDR wasn't below 2.0 yesterday with it. It annihilates people close/med/long range. I think my KDR in my combat record improved by .05 from that drop lol.

Donos

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Picked up the game for $16. The multiplayer UI was a little confusing for a bit as there's no tutorial or anything. When I was in a match and heard I got a "supply drop", I thought it was a killstreak reward and tried to call it in. LOL

Sorry, already deleated the game. No clue. Don't know if the patch ads up the 4,6 GB to the 42 GB or if files get replaced and it stays around 43 GB)

Daffy Duck

My kd bla bla blal

3f9iN2d.gif

I'm just messing with you

Lrrr

Activision went hard after the microtransactions market eh? Supply drops, customizations and custom class slots are all purchasable. I won't buy any of it, but damn.

keezy

What's this like on XB1 now? I had it on PS4 at launch, but I overdid it, and got burned out. But I am in the mood for playing a shooter again.

I'm on xbone and I love it. I bought it last December and didn't play it for awhile. I'd say a couple of months back I picked it up and have been playing it since. Only gripe I have it its hard to play by yourself. Definitely not fun going into a match and playing against a party in ground war and getting rolled.

Finally got an STG variant this weekend. I'm using the base weapon and that thing is ridiculous. Almost exactly like the AK47 from CoD4. Also snagged the SVO Return to Sender somehow. I really wish you could trade/buy items...

Top Bottom