• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC Performance Thread

nynt9

The game just refuses to start for me on Steam. I played it once a couple days ago, it crashed after the intro mission ended. Now, when I try to start the game, it says "Preparing to launch..." but nothing happens. Not even an error message. I don't even know where to start to troubleshoot this! (happens in both singleplayer and multiplayer)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
welp, I did the usual "turn everything up to max" ritual I do with all games with my new rig (before checking this thread) and...oh boy, wsnt pretty lol. Thankfully I just assumed something must be broken before panicking that my new rig is already outdated.

So, turn off shadow cashe thing should be my first step then, and probably not max supersampling also >_>

edit: also weird that it doesnt have a official SLI profile, all the other COD games had one, and the latest driver said ready for AW :/

Falk

that puzzling face
It's amazing how idTech is still around in most modern FPS
But back then FPS weren't tied to tickrate

Ask Infinity Ward. They kept that hold over from the Quake roots. Black Ops 2 is the only COD game to actually remove that cap IIRC.

Wouldn't it then be same to cap FPS to 60 on PC so people in advantage is as small number as possible?

That said silly stuff if they haven't fixed that FPS = Firerate "bug" that has been in engine for years now.

90fps?
What is that stupid arbitrary limit?

I'm a little late here but let's clarify some things because there's so much wrong:

- Vanilla CoD was based off Return to Castle Wolfenstein which was in turn based off Quake 3 (ID Tech 3 essentially)
- Code base essentially became more Infinity Ward than id although many things persisted like the exact same console commands, demo recording and playback, engine quirks, etc.
- As far as we can tell, Treyarch got the engine at some point from IW and it 'branched', though as above most functionality was intact

- Physics in ID Tech 3 was indeed tied to framerate. You can 'set' the 'FPS' cap (com_maxfps) to integer divisions of 1000 which affected both physics calculation and framerate.
- For whatever bizarre reason (related to rounding), 125, 250 and especially 333 FPS your character in the game had a very definite physics advantage completely decoupled from the netcode tickrate (how often the server and clients communicated) due to physics-side calculations
- Q3A eventually patched the game so that the physics calculation always happened at '125FPS' regardless of your framerate. Quake Live launched without this issue.

- For whatever reason, Infinity Ward never applied the same fix. I'm guessing by the time it became a big issue (around CoD4) the series was more of a console game than a PC one.
- CoD4 DID NOT have a max FPS (well, technically 1000). Neither did World at War.
- The professional CoD4/promod scene standardized all play to 125 or 250fps. 333 was considered flat out cheating and an actionable offense.
- MW2 capped FPS for the PC version to 91. Why this arbitrary number? It's the 1000/11 divisor (90.90909090) and essentially the engine hard-wired com_maxfps to 91. For whatever reason Infinity Ward decided this was the 'most balanced', despite professional FPS revolving around id Tech 3 had already basically agreed on 125FPS at the time. I guess IW figured this was an easier band-aid than following in Q3A's footsteps and ACTUALLY FIXING THE ISSUE, especially since it would have meant that the console and PC versions of CoD became fundamentally different mechanicswise. (You could pull off jumps in CoD4 PC you could never on console and this was a skill SMG position promod players were pretty much expected to have)

You can read more about how much the game breaks at 333fps here:
http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php?title=Call_of_Duty_:_A_Study_on_FPS

- You jump significantly higher
- You jump further
- You take less fall damage (lol)
- You can move at a higher speed before footsteps trigger

I hope the fix the damn mouse problems. I tried the "set polling to 125" route (which is bullshit anyway) and while it did eliminate the huge jumps it replaced them with a very slight yet persistent jittery feeling. How on earth do they mess up something as basic as this?

Padinn

Fun game, but lack of dedicated servers is going to lead to a swift death on PC if they don't address it.

I noticed my mouse would randomly jump about too - any ideas whats causing that?

Anyway to up the FPS cap to 120?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the fix the damn mouse problems. I tried the "set polling to 125" route (which is bullshit anyway) and while it did eliminate the huge jumps it replaced them with a very slight yet persistent jittery feeling. How on earth do they mess up something as basic as this?

Did you try this?

**SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Advanced Warfare\players2

Open "config_mp"

Change seta in_mouse to "2", this forces raw input. You need to make your config file read only otherwise the game will change it back.

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Is there any fix to the constant loading/microstutter during game? This is ridiculous..even the menus lag. I don't even have everything turned all the way up, even though my PC should be able to handle this at max if this game was properly made. What a mess.

Athreous

does the graphics look really that bad?

Anyone able to post here a real pic of the soldier's clothes? because here it's so muddy, no matter what esettings I change.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
does the graphics look really that bad?

Anyone able to post here a real pic of the soldier's clothes? because here it's so muddy, no matter what esettings I change.

Disable both the cache options, they're bugged and cause muddy textures.

About 1 in 4 multiplayer matches load the bar fully and hang for minutes on "synchronizing game settings" before booting me out to a server error or just going straight back to the lobby. Getting frustrating.

Did you try this?

**SteamAppscommonCall of Duty Advanced Warfareplayers2

Open "config_mp"

Change seta in_mouse to "2", this forces raw input. You need to make your config file read only otherwise the game will change it back.

Yep, doesn't help. :(

i get disconnected while loading the map of the 2nd match everytime i play. disconnects halfway into the loading bar. first match always works fine.

Realyn

H9mTYK5.png

To the left we have the first 30-40 seconds of Defender.

To the right everything after that once the shaders and stuff have loaded.

Jeez. Fucking. Christ. At this point I'm just refusing to play those 3 maps.

Ok playing the game on my laptop which has been able to run all of the recent previous COD games at full 1080p, high or max-ish settings at about 30-40fps.

My specs are:
i7-3610QM 2.3GHz
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 650m.

Tried playing at 1080p with textures set to high and lighting set to normal. AA set to SMAAx1 and everything else off. Got maybe 15-20fps. Terrible.

Have a playable framerate running at 720p, textures set to automatic so they look fairly awful and lighting turned off. Need some AA (SMAAx1) in order to not be blinded by jaggies.

Awfully optimized, very disappointed at how bad it looks in order to get in playable.

Damian.

Banned
Is there any fix to the constant loading/microstutter during game? This is ridiculous..even the menus lag. I don't even have everything turned all the way up, even though my PC should be able to handle this at max if this game was properly made. What a mess.

I haven't found a way to completely eliminate it, but setting Fullscreen within the game, RTSS: 60FPS and NVCP VSync on with Max Prerendered Frames to 1 gets rid of the vast majority of it. It still jerks from time to time, but it's a lot more bearable. On my end the stutter only happens when panning left or right with the controller. I can move forward, strafe left and right all day long and never skip or stutter, only when I am manipulating the right thumbstick do I ever experience it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok playing the game on my laptop which has been able to run all of the recent previous COD games at full 1080p, high or max-ish settings at about 30-40fps.

My specs are:
i7-3610QM 2.3GHz
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 650m.

Tried playing at 1080p with textures set to high and lighting set to normal. AA set to SMAAx1 and everything else off. Got maybe 15-20fps. Terrible.

Have a playable framerate running at 720p, textures set to automatic so they look fairly awful and lighting turned off. Need some AA (SMAAx1) in order to not be blinded by jaggies.

Awfully optimized, very disappointed at how bad it looks in order to get in playable.
That sounds like entirely reasonable performance. You have a mid tier 2012 laptop GPU. Next games were always going to leave your rig behind fairly quickly.

Kezen

Banned

My specs are:
i7-3610QM 2.3GHz
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 650m.

As Seanspeed said nothing surprising about your performance. Your expectations were likely unrealistic.

NIN90

I'm a little late here but let's clarify some things because there's so much wrong:

- Vanilla CoD was based off Return to Castle Wolfenstein which was in turn based off Quake 3 (ID Tech 3 essentially)
- Code base essentially became more Infinity Ward than id although many things persisted like the exact same console commands, demo recording and playback, engine quirks, etc.
- As far as we can tell, Treyarch got the engine at some point from IW and it 'branched', though as above most functionality was intact

- Physics in ID Tech 3 was indeed tied to framerate. You can 'set' the 'FPS' cap (com_maxfps) to integer divisions of 1000 which affected both physics calculation and framerate.
- For whatever bizarre reason (related to rounding), 125, 250 and especially 333 FPS your character in the game had a very definite physics advantage completely decoupled from the netcode tickrate (how often the server and clients communicated) due to physics-side calculations
- Q3A eventually patched the game so that the physics calculation always happened at '125FPS' regardless of your framerate. Quake Live launched without this issue.

- For whatever reason, Infinity Ward never applied the same fix. I'm guessing by the time it became a big issue (around CoD4) the series was more of a console game than a PC one.
- CoD4 DID NOT have a max FPS (well, technically 1000). Neither did World at War.
- The professional CoD4/promod scene standardized all play to 125 or 250fps. 333 was considered flat out cheating and an actionable offense.
- MW2 capped FPS for the PC version to 91. Why this arbitrary number? It's the 1000/11 divisor (90.90909090) and essentially the engine hard-wired com_maxfps to 91. For whatever reason Infinity Ward decided this was the 'most balanced', despite professional FPS revolving around id Tech 3 had already basically agreed on 125FPS at the time. I guess IW figured this was an easier band-aid than following in Q3A's footsteps and ACTUALLY FIXING THE ISSUE, especially since it would have meant that the console and PC versions of CoD became fundamentally different mechanicswise. (You could pull off jumps in CoD4 PC you could never on console and this was a skill SMG position promod players were pretty much expected to have)

You can read more about how much the game breaks at 333fps here:
http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php?title=Call_of_Duty_:_A_Study_on_FPS

- You jump significantly higher
- You jump further
- You take less fall damage (lol)
- You can move at a higher speed before footsteps trigger

This just reminds me that CoD4 Promod was just real boring compared to CoD2 PAM mod.

Falk

that puzzling face
Actually I'm a little nostalgic for vCoD days myself.

Bolt action (non-sniper) rifles made for much more interesting gameplay.

But now I feel really old.

Prelithe

Stuttering is killing this game for me atm. Even running at lower than native resolution, I'm still stuttering like mad. Although it seems to be random, it may be a mix of map and latency.

Kilrathi

Stuttering is killing this game for me atm. Even running at lower than native resolution, I'm still stuttering like mad. Although it seems to be random, it may be a mix of map and latency.

Yep IDK what going on with COD:AW MP but there so so much shutter that im holding off until its fixed

There is any way to turn mouse acceleration off moving my G400S at different speeds is causing the turn rate to change (I check it on quake live and in the software settings its off for sure)

KKRT00

im really shocked to see your system specs, crydude :p

Bought it in 2011 :) Soon changing to GTX 970 and gsync monitor. In March [more or less], i'm buying i7-5820K :)

---
Yeah ..., thats why i play with people having one bar constantly...

Rnr1224

its frustrating me as well. I will running around fine then when an enemy and I come face-to-face, It stutters like crazy and I die without hitting him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
game was running great, now its crashing all over the place in the
aircraft carrier
level near the end, just like Ghosts started crashing near the end aswell. I really dont want to roll back my nvidia driver again, was a pain to do last time, any possible fixes?

also that level seems to run like ass because I had to turn off supersampling completely to get 60fps

Prelithe

40MB patch seemed to reduce some the stuttering, but my last game was pretty bad so might have just been good luck for a while.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm done.

Getting this to run semi-decent was a nightmare in every regard. Was my first CoD after BLOPS, and will most likely be the last. Fuck this.

Naedtrax

Banned
Anyone else getting the stupid stutter whilst in game? Puts me off and i really don't enjoy playing it due to that and connection issues.

Never noticed this crap on the first 2 days of playing, but now it's unbearable.

CHC

Running fine on my Superclocked 780 / i5-2500k "old reliable".

What's driving me nuts however is SweetFX? Has anyone been able to get it to actually work on this game. No error messages, it just straight up doesn't do anything when I install it as usual.

Rnr1224

Post patch and driver I am getting much more stuttering and connection issues. I also get a popup whenever I open the game that says the optimal settings have changed and if I want to revert to them or not.

Realyn

AMD beta drivers fixed Defender for me. The initial load is still there, but got reduced from 40-50 seconds to 10-20 of stuttering. The overall fps when facing the left side of the map improved from 40 to a steady 60+.

2500k@ 4.3, 280x at ~70 load with 2x SMAA, 8 gb, ssd

scitek

The campaign was much smoother for me last night. The only thing I ended up changing was AA to FXAA and downsampled from 1440p. All of the hitching I'd experienced before was practically gone. No idea if it was the new Nvidia drivers or what.

Online is down for me. Anyone else?

My brother lent me his Steam account, so I finally gave the game a whirl on my system -

i5 3570K
8GB DDR3
GTX 670 2GB
Win 8.1

Maxed everything out except for Super Sampling and the cache options, and left on FXAA at 1920x1080. SP initially seemed very smooth, then I started getting stuttering as some fights kicked off on the ground. I went back to the settings, changed the texture settings and shadows to "Automatic" rather than Extra. Game seems to run beautifully now. I also turned on shader pre-load, which doesn't seem to add much to the load times, but definitely gets rid of most (if not all) hitches.

Frame rate is great, a world above the Ghosts abomination, the game just flows like butter. My biggest concern would be the mouse aim, which Ghosts fucked up somehow also, but I'm glad to say it feels just as razor sharp as previous CoD's (I haven't yet tried the raw input config edit, could make a big difference).

I didn't play too much of the SP as I want my own copy before I tuck into it (which I have ordered after trying my brothers copy, used up some club card vouchers so will be getting it for free), but I did spend some time on MP.

Visually, I don't find MP that impressive, at least texture wise, they don't appear to be that high res at all (unless the game is holding back due to my 2GB VRAM limit). I did try manually selecting Extra for everything, but it still doesn't look that good. However one benefit of this is I can see everything clearly, the screen isn't overly busy making it difficult to track targets etc, which I guess was there aim with MP, to make sure it runs smoothly at all times and not make it frustrating with unnecessary clutter.

The exo suit jump stuff is a game changer, I feel like I am playing UT all over again, what with double tapping keys to shift about the place, this game is a lot of fun ..... I didn't think they could make CoD feel fresh again, but they have seemingly managed it.

When my copy arrives I can see myself spending a lot of time in MP.

Performance wise, I consider this to utterly destroy the piss poor PC port of Ghosts, its nothing like it.

So something odd is happening.

I bought a new laptop with a 3K display, and Advanced Warfare has locked the multiplayer graphics settings and resolution...
The resolution is set to something like 800x600 and yeah, the game is pretty much just a small square in the center of my display, and I can't change it.

I've set the resolution of my monitor (in Windows) to 1080p, but changing it doesn't do anything.
It's worth mentioning that single player is ok though, I can change the settings at will.

How the hell do I fix this Gaf? Google isn't giving me an answer. Any help is very much appreciated :)

SpyGuy239

Guys which is the best AA option for the game?

There's all this talk of Filmic SMAA causing blurriness? So I suppose stick with SMAA 2x?

Also should shadow cache remain off when settings are turned to Extra or have they fixed the bug yet?

Thanks!

Infact, drop my previous praise, this game is stutters as shit in SP & MP, seemingly randomly, despite changing options from med, high and extra, at some point it's going to chug. Actual frame rate seems fine, it's just the constant split second and seconds long pauses I keep getting. The boat chase level in SP was horrific for it.

Bah.

Top Bottom