• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I guess he isn't familiar with Blops 1 & 2 on PC.

I almost always play Domination and Kill Confirmed and I've never had a problem finding a game during a games life cycle.

Hristi

BO2 is my favorite COD. Only reason I'm afraid to buy this is the low player count on PC. I'm from Asia and Titanfall died fast even though it has dedicated servers. :(

I'm getting slight stutter at max settings with 2x Film AA(whatever its called) @ 1080P,very inconsistent frames.

I7 5820K@ 4.3GHZ
GTX 980 TI G1
16GB DDR4@ 2133MHZ
Windows 10 64-Bit
Driver: 358.87

Yet sometimes it is smooth as hell, similar thing was happening with Advanced Warfare however that was on a GTX 970 SLI set-up.

I'm getting slight stutter at max settings with 2x Film AA(whatever its called) @ 1080P,very inconsistent frames.

I7 5820K@ 4.3GHZ
GTX 980 TI G1
16GB DDR4@ 2133MHZ
Windows 10 64-Bit
Driver: 358.87

Yet sometimes it is smooth as hell, similar thing was happening with Advanced Warfare however that was on a GTX 970 SLI set-up.
What is your VRAM usage?

Tovarisc

Memory usage is kind of ridiculous. After a while the game starts to become very stuttery.

This is with 8GB ram, a 980 and a 4670k. Nothing weird is running in the background; I just did a reboot.

adG5WLY.png

So game is still insane memory hog for no good reason? My friend will be so happy... At least I can bruteforce it, again, thanks to having 16GB of RAM.

BO2 is my favorite COD. Only reason I'm afraid to buy this is the low player count on PC. I'm from Asia and Titanfall died fast even though it has dedicated servers. :(

The Blops 2 player count has always been really good all things considered. It sits at a pretty stable 8-12k. Its not CSGO or Dota 2 numbers, but its good enough that you can find a game in pretty much all the modes.

HelloMeow

So game is still insane memory hog for no good reason? My friend will be so happy... At least I can bruteforce it, again, thanks to having 16GB of RAM.

Yes. Turning textures and shadow map quality to high seems to help, but still... It doesn't look like a game that needs more than 8gb to run well.

I can get a solid 120fps with those two options turned down. If I set them to extra, it stutters like crazy.

GavinUK86

Yes. Turning textures and shadow map quality to high seems to help, but still... It doesn't look like a game that needs more than 8gb to run well.

I can get a solid 120fps with those two options turned down. If I set them to extra, it stutters like crazy.

Are you using vsync when you get the stuttering?

Hmm I haven't checked,I'll make sure to do so next time I play,nothing is running in the background besides Steam/Game and MSI Afterburner.

The highest settings in the beta cached a lot of stuff into VRAM and system RAM. I have a screenshot somewhere of 1080p using like 8.5 gigs of VRAM at the highest settings.

When I tried the BO3 Beta I had stuttering with Extra High Textures as well...dialing them down a notch seemed to fix the issue more or less...looks like there still may be an issue with them

HelloMeow

Are you using vsync when you get the stuttering?

No. It really seems to be caused by a lack of memory. It works fine until it reaches 90-99% and I can get a solid 120fps if I turn down some memory consuming settings.

The highest settings in the beta cached a lot of stuff into VRAM and system RAM. I have a screenshot somewhere of 1080p using like 8.5 gigs of VRAM at the highest settings.

Yeah. Even just in the main menu the game uses 4gb ram.

Kezen

Banned
Always really like how CoD set out their graphics options.

So do I. For a franchise which has lost a lot of ground on PC they still try to present things nicely.

I really loved Advanced Warfare on PC, superb tech and performance from my experience (780, 970 then 980). Ghosts did not run very well at launch for me, and still does not even today.

Papacheeks

Banned
Hopefully we will see some optimization patches on this? I remember Black ops 2 getting some for PC when that launched.

Seems some of the issues I had in the beta are still present.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Tweeted PCDev about the high memory usage, hopefully he replies.

Tovarisc

Tweeted PCDev about the high memory usage, hopefully he replies.

He ignored the issue during beta by using "We are optimising" angle, but apparently they didn't optimise shit. I guess I put game to low - medium again with my 980Ti so it doesn't stutter and drop frames like motherfucker :D

mephixto

Banned
Memory usage is kind of ridiculous. After a while the game starts to become very stuttery.

This is with 8GB ram, a 980 and a 4670k. Nothing weird is running in the background; I just did a reboot.

adG5WLY.png

Ehh the game is eating 2GB? that's kinda low. Most games goes beyond that, heck my Dota 2 usally eats up to 3GB

Tovarisc

Ram is cheap. Why isn't everyone at 16gig+?

I'm running
i5 6600K
16GB DDR4
980Ti

BO3's Beta put my rig to its knees, and provided me with very unstable framerate and unhealthy amount of stuttering. Memory usage, RAM and VRAM, was off the hook for no good reason, even after I lowered settings to gain more stable framerate. This initial info about retail version also eating up memory like candy doesn't create confidence in me :/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ram is cheap. Why isn't everyone at 16gig+?

Because it's not needed unless the game is poorly optimised (Batman is a good example). I did just nearly order another 8GB though, but stopped myself. That £40 could be better spent elsewhere right now.

Buburibon

I suppose the 12GB TX handles it like a champ? I'm thinking about purchasing to play the campaign over the weekend before FO4 hits.

Sheytan

It's a good thing if the game uses as much ram as possible to cache things, but if it's becuse of memory leaks then it's another thing

sorry for my bad english

Kilrathi

Is there a slide in blops 3? And did they tie it to the same keybinding as hold to prone like advance warfare did last year?

Tovarisc

The PC beta had a memory leak the first days, they patched it later.

I was seeing 7+ GB of RAM usage through out of whole beta. Best part was it kept creeping up and up longer I played. If it was because of mem leak and they patched I wonder how late into betas life cycle they did patch it then, last day?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a slide in blops 3? And did they tie it to the same keybinding as hold to prone like advance warfare did last year?

Sliding is still achieved by tapping crouch while running, yes. I don't know if you can go prone as I didn't think to try, but I'm sure someone else can provide an answer.

Okay, Dictator here are my usage stats:

RAM: 5000-7800 MB usage

VRAM: 5GB or so average,Afterburner does say my max was 6121
YOu have the 980Ti right? If the highest amount used in Afterburner is right, then it could be using more than it should at times. I wonder if the highest (extra) settings caches as much as it can, or literally just does not stop caching...
I suppose the 12GB TX handles it like a champ? I'm thinking about purchasing to play the campaign over the weekend before FO4 hits.
Hah. I probably will not end up buying the game...but I am momentarily interested in it on a technical level. Their engine seems pretty awesome and this looks like a solid pc version from what I can see so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think my 2GB 760 just starting weeping.

I think the game is just aggressive with its caching. I have a 4GB GPU and played through the first mission without stutter issues at 1080p with max settings (albeit with AA set to SMAA 1x).

Kezen

Banned
How much space does the game actually need ? I'm debating which hard drive will have the honor of hosting this game.

I'm not interested in the MP.

Tovarisc

How much space does the game actually need ? I'm debating which hard drive will have the honor of hosting this game.

I'm not interested in the MP.

They recommend 60GB of free space and I'm currently, slowly, downloading 44.5GB worth of installation files.

BO3's Beta put my rig to its knees, and provided me with very unstable framerate and unhealthy amount of stuttering. Memory usage, RAM and VRAM, was off the hook for no good reason, even after I lowered settings to gain more stable framerate. This initial info about retail version also eating up memory like candy doesn't create confidence in me :/

Damn, sounds like Ghosts+AW all over again.

CryptiK

Sensitivity issue that they said they fixed in the BETA is still there. That being the Sensitivity being linked to the frame rate. I like getting high frame rates. So I have everything on low bar textures and I cant even get a stable 120 FPS.

i7-2600K
8GB RAM
GTX Titan

No issue getting over 150 on Battlefield 4. Poorly optimised trash.

bee

i'll be able to test soon (well maybe, steams going slow tonight) with 16gb ram and a titan x, will try 4k and 1080p@144hz

Shari

Am I the only one who still sees it as preload when going through NZ?

I have exited steam and checked processes for residual before reopening. FlyVPN client updated before starting. Don't know what's wrong.

Top Bottom