• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

Buburibon

Hah. I probably will not end up buying the game...but I am momentarily interested in it on a technical level. Their engine seems pretty awesome and this looks like a solid pc version from what I can see so far.

I hear you. I bought COD: AW on PC last year expecting it to impress me on a technical level, but it didn't quite cut it. The last pretty-looking shooter campaign I remember playing was Killzone: SF back in late 2013. I have a feeling BLOPS 3 might be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sold on it just yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Am I the only one who still sees it as preload when going through NZ?

I have exited steam and checked processes for residual before reopening. FlyVPN client updated before starting. Don't know what's wrong.

Do you have any other instances of Steam running, including the mobile app? If so, that's why your region isn't changing -- because you still have an active session.

diamount

Banned
I'm getting seriously annoyed right now, 1fps - regardless of settings. Was getting 70+ fps on the default settings before this, well until that robot scene where I was suffering from teh same problem

Tovarisc

So another game where 16gb clearly makes a difference.

I'm glad to have invested in such an amount.

But is it really justified and what about GPU's below 6GB of VRAM? What if having 16GB of RAM and 980Ti doesn't remove stutter, still justified to need 16GB of RAM to play CoD?

Kezen

Banned
The question is, does having 16GB help out the lack of RAM on a 970 though?
I don't see why it would.

But is it really justified and what about GPU's below 6GB of VRAM? What if having 16GB of RAM and 980Ti doesn't remove stutter, still justified to need 16GB of RAM to play CoD?

They were benching at 1600p though, at 1080p I wonder what's the VRAM usage looks like.
Either way it was to be expected that games would get more RAM hungry.

Battlefront is another case where 16gb proves very benefitial.

It might be the norm very soon.

Are those reports making mention of the settings?

As has been noted before, the extra high settings for shadows and textures may have little to no bearing on quality micro quality, but may end up caching quite a lot of data.

diamount

Banned
Are those reports making mention of the settings?

As has been noted before, the extra high settings for shadows and textures may have net to no bearing on quality, but may end up caching quite a lot of data.

Haven't made the slightest difference in my case, low or extra I still get 1fps in certain areas which makes it impossible to continue.

Haven't made the slightest difference in my case, low or extra I still get 1fps in certain areas which makes it impossible to continue.

aw snap. What hardware do you have and what is your VRAM and RAM utilization on various settgings (low v whatever)?

We may want to wait for a more differentiated batcfh of performance reports and different settings.

I haven't been following Call of Duty: BLOPS III that closely, but that amount of memory requirement is ridiculous! The game runs on consoles that have 8GB memory TOTAL, so that means the OS over head, game logic and texture memory has to fit within that amount. They likely have 1.5-2GB reserved for the OS alone to run all of the features those systems have, and if console games take up nearly the amount of RAM they do on PC for logic they could be using up another 2GB. So just the OS and the game logic could take up 3 and maybe even 4GB if it works like it does on the PC. I just don't know why you would need more than double system RAM and VRAM to run the same game, that just seems crazy.

I haven't been following Call of Duty: BLOPS III that closely, but that amount of memory requirement is ridiculous! The game runs on consoles that have 8GB memory TOTAL, so that means the OS over head, game logic and texture memory has to fit within that amount.
Everyone may or may not be getting a bit over the heads right now. You need more and different testing to come to an understand about what hardware the game needs in actuality. How much information is out there right now about a variety of set ups and settings?
They likely have 1.5-2GB reserved for the OS alone to run all of the features those systems have, and if console games take up nearly the amount of RAM they do on PC for logic they could be using up another 2GB. So just the OS and the game logic could take up 3 and maybe even 4GB if it works like it does on the PC. I just don't know why you would need more than double system RAM and VRAM to run the same game, that just seems crazy.
Like here for example: consoles are not running on the highest settings. Of course they require a lot less ram, just like lower settings on pc. IMO, let's wait a bit before theory crafting about this game being ram inefficient.
Well I'm glad I didn't actually buy it for PC.
Not an overreaction.

HelloMeow

The game needs a ton of memory, but it runs great with just two settings turned down to high. It would be nice if they could do something about it, but otherwise the game is good.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, if I ran the beta fine, then the main game should be fine right? Or no?

Wow, that is pretty reassuring. I'm running an i5, but still.

Yep. Nearly 200fps at 1080p on medium/off settings, so can probably run it on high with some things on and keep 120 steady. I'm feeling much better after watching it.

RulkezX

IS it just at really high resolutions + settings that are requiring a lot of memory ?

I wont get to play it for an hour but my brother looks to be having a good time of it @1080p + mostly high

I haven't been following Call of Duty: BLOPS III that closely, but that amount of memory requirement is ridiculous! The game runs on consoles that have 8GB memory TOTAL, so that means the OS over head, game logic and texture memory has to fit within that amount. They likely have 1.5-2GB reserved for the OS alone to run all of the features those systems have, and if console games take up nearly the amount of RAM they do on PC for logic they could be using up another 2GB. So just the OS and the game logic could take up 3 and maybe even 4GB if it works like it does on the PC. I just don't know why you would need more than double system RAM and VRAM to run the same game, that just seems crazy.

Consoles are not running at 2560 x 1600

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the campaign is what is fucking things up, not the MP?

Possibly, I've read the PS4 version has issues with the campaign as well. Personally I never play SP so it won't affect me if that's the case.

YOu have the 980Ti right? If the highest amount used in Afterburner is right, then it could be using more than it should at times. I wonder if the highest (extra) settings caches as much as it can, or literally just does not stop caching...

Hah. I probably will not end up buying the game...but I am momentarily interested in it on a technical level. Their engine seems pretty awesome and this looks like a solid pc version from what I can see so far.

Correct, I have the G1 GTX 980 TI and yeah this is a VRAM hog, I guess I'll reduce the texture setting and shadows down to High and see how that fares.

The game looks good, just nothing that will require this much Ram/Vram....BF4/Battlefront look better and run in the 100FPS range at the highest settings.

GavinUK86

Sounds more like an issue with your system rather than the game if you're getting 1fps no matter the settings.

So, just to be clear after the last page or two:

Any reason for someone with a GTX 970 to be worried about having "only" 8GB of ram running at 1080p?

GavinUK86

Okay, nice. Beta ran well for me (roughly 100 fps on average on High) so I would have been surprised if this ran poorly.

CPU is i5 4690, fyi.

I've got an i7 2600k. I think if you bump it up to extra and a higher resolution you'll hit problems but on high and 1080p, I'm not seeing any issues. It doesn't feel quite as smooth as Advanced Warfare but it's just come out so take that as you will.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
They said the keys won't be out before release, and won't include Nuketown.

I refunded it and went with cdkeys.com. 38.99 no tax and nuketown. Good deal. I give it up to GMG though because they refunded me nearly instantly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You are a GOD. My work pc was interferring, sweet.

Haha, glad you got it sorted.

Edit: A general PSA: If you have something you'd like me to add to the OP, include my username in the post. I always search for my username after an absence and this way you can be sure I'll see it.

Mifec

I refunded it and went with cdkeys.com. 38.99 no tax and nuketown. Good deal. I give it up to GMG though because they refunded me nearly instantly.

cdkeys gave me the code at 9am gmt+1 today + nuketown, couldn't pick GMG over that even if they are grey market.

mbmonk

Ram is cheap. Why isn't everyone at 16gig+?

Because it increases the size of your page file as well as the file for hibernation of the PC ( if you enable hibernation ) to 16+ GB thus eating up more harddrive space w/ little benefit. Depending on how much room you have on your harddrive (SSD) that might be a big deal.

Top Bottom