• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

d00d3n

Anyone who completed the expert free runner course? How do you climb the pillars in the end of the course?

So yeah it has issues right now, but has the day one patch been released in the regions people are using the vpn to early unlock?

d00d3n

Anyone who completed the expert free runner course? How do you climb the pillars in the end of the course?

To answer my one question, you have to press towards the center of the pillar with wasd. Same as with ordinary walls really, but you have to change directions because it is a circle.

Tovarisc

So yeah it has issues right now, but has the day one patch been released in the regions people are using the vpn to early unlock?

If it's in preload date then people have it. Also when activating with VPN it would have started to download patch if there was one out.

Vitor711

Hmm, Steam says this unlocks in 9 hours, but it should be 3.5 as that'll be midnight in the UK, it's always a midnight release.

Steam is always weird with their unlock countdowns. Pay it no heed. It'll be midnight as normal unless the devs have stated otherwise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The game had already unpacked for me when I got home and I didn't think to check if the download size had increased. PC games generally don't have launch day patches, though, since pre-loads -- if there's one at all -- typically don't begin until only a few days before release and there's no certification process to be wary of (the day one patches on consoles are actually several days old since they need to be given the all-clear by the platform holder).

I have been debating buying more RAM for my PC, should I do it?, currently have 8GB, worried about this game and Fallout 4.

d00d3n

codblops3pagefileaouop.png

That is the kind of error message you get when the system RAM is depleted with no page-file, right? The free running mini-game worked for me, but got an instant crash when I started the campaign. Also had some weird "freezes" in the main menu that were resolved by tabbing out and back in. Before that the game wouldn't start at all when it defaulted to a 4k DSR resolution ... I think the error message for that crash said something about running out of memory as well.

Anyone who has disabled their pagefile who can play the campaign without crashes? How much RAM do you have?

specs: 3570k@4.6, 16gb RAM, ssd drive, Titan X, win7, pagefile disabled

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but is it necessary now?, all I really do is play games on my PC, not like Im editing huge Photoshop files or movies.

Nessesary? No. Nice to have for the few games that benefit from it? Sure. If you have 2x4 it's a cheap upgrade to get another 2x4.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
codblops3pagefileaouop.png

That is the kind of error message you get when the system RAM is depleted with no page-file, right? The free running mini-game worked for me, but got an instant crash when I started the campaign. Also had some weird "freezes" in the main menu that were resolved by tabbing out and back in. Before that the game wouldn't start at all when it defaulted to a 4k DSR resolution ... I think the error message for that crash said something about running out of memory as well.

Anyone who has disabled their pagefile who can play the campaign without crashes? How much RAM do you have?

specs: 3570k@4.6, 16gb RAM, ssd drive, Titan X, win7, pagefile disabled

All my crashes in beta were page file related, once I upped it I never crashed again.

Just started the game with the VPN tutorial in the OP, worked fine thanks.

Any reason to use AA like "Filmic SMAA T2x" over a higher render resolution? Also "ugh" at that chromatic aberration (?) in the menu lol. I hope this effect isn't so present in the game, because I did not see the option to disable it. Seems a little bit too much imo.

d00d3n

All my crashes in beta were page file related, once I upped it I never crashed again.

Yeah, annoying to have to enable the pagefile for a single game, though. 16 gb should be enough ... :( This is on a desktop computer that is dedicated to gaming and basically only has Steam running.

mbmonk

Hard drive space is incredibly cheap and you can manually adjust the pagefile to store it on a mechanical hard drive. AFAIK, the hibernation file needs to remain on the boot partition, so that's the only use case I can see. Again, storage is cheap.

Are there any performance hits for adjusting the page file below the amount of RAM? Also surely there is a performance hit for moving your page file to a mechanical drive instead of having it on the SSD that contains your OS.

Ram is cheap.. storage is cheap.. me buying all these cheap things might end up not being cheap when it's all over :).

If there are meaningful benefits to running 16GB, I will upgrade. Until that time, I am going wait for prices to keep dropping before purchasing. I doubt BLOPS3 is going to be the game that shows significant benefits on a PC w/ 16GB of system memory. The consoles only have 8GB of RAM shared. I ASSume the consoles were the target platform for design. My guess is with proper optimization BLOPS will run very well on a PC w/ 8GB. But I don't know :)

DarkStream

Trying to play online at the moment is a fruitless endeavour.
Everytime a match starts, I'm being booted back to the main menu
Error about not being "authorized"

Curse you, VPN workaround!

M2C3

Neo Member
Excited to check this baby out tonight! My second G1 980 Ti comes in today. With a brand new i7-6700k and 16GB DDR4 @ 3200, my goal is to get as close to 144 with my ROG Swift as possible. Bring it on Treyarch/CoD!

Tankshell

Hmmm. Can't get the VPN unlock to work (although have used this method successfully on Steam many many times before). Steam is convinced that the game is still not yet released (UK), despite everything else on my machine thinking I am smack bang in the middle of Sydney, Australia :)

A quick search of Reddit suggests that a Steam update earlier today may have put an end to our VPN unlocking shenanigans... so if you haven't updated Steam today, and you intend to try and unlock this via VPN still, I suggest you dont!

Annoyingly I DID update Steam earlier, so I think I am out of luck.

Jord

Hmmm. Can't get the VPN unlock to work (although have used this method successfully on Steam many many times before). Steam is convinced that the game is still not yet released (UK), despite everything else on my machine thinking I am smack bang in the middle of Sydney, Australia :)

A quick search of Reddit suggests that a Steam update earlier today may have put an end to our VPN unlocking shenanigans... so if you haven't updated Steam today, and you intend to try and unlock this via VPN still, I suggest you dont!

Damn! Haven't tried the VPN yet but I did update Steam earlier before I went out. Why Gaben

Has anyone got an error code for online services? I mean IO know it releases tomorrow but the site says servers are all online.

I have some incomprehensible error code.

Akronis

Are there any performance hits for adjusting the page file below the amount of RAM? Also surely there is a performance hit for moving your page file to a mechanical drive instead of having it on the SSD that contains your OS.

Ram is cheap.. storage is cheap.. me buying all these cheap things might end up not being cheap when it's all over :).

If there are meaningful benefits to running 16GB, I will upgrade. Until that time, I am going wait for prices to keep dropping before purchasing. I doubt BLOPS3 is going to be the game that shows significant benefits on a PC w/ 16GB of system memory. The consoles only have 8GB of RAM shared. I ASSume the consoles were the target platform for design. My guess is with proper optimization BLOPS will run very well on a PC w/ 8GB. But I don't know :)

Windows only pages non-essential, background processes when running full screen apps. Settings your page file to 4GB or 8GB should be perfectly fine. I wouldn't advise turning it off, but if you're serious about the hard drive space, 16GB of RAM would be sufficient.

EDIT: the page file improvements really only exist in Windows 8 and 8.1 on. Windows 7 still has some wonky behavior with paging.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I don't think that's true. The only way Valve could counter the use of VPNs on Steam to unlock games early is by tying game unlocks to one's account region rather than IP region, but the "home region" of my account isn't Australia and I've had no issues despite running the most recent beta version of the client. Are you absolutely sure you restarted the client by first exiting it and have no other instances running (including the mobile app)?

Edit: I just restarted Steam to be super-duper sure and still have a "Play" button.

Will try it when I get home from work.

AW had unbearable slowdown, stutter and such in the sp for me. Now I'm on 980ti and this looks like another potential cluster fuck. These days it feels like half of major releases on pc are just fucked outright.

Ty! I picked up the Asus Z170-Deluxe. Never thought I'd want WiFi on my mobo but it's actually pretty nice and handy. Plus it's fast as hell. And the white color scheme matches my G1's. It's been a great board.

I am going back and forth between the ASUS Hero and Z710-AR. Leaning towards the Hero.

Tankshell

I don't think that's true. The only way Valve could counter the use of VPNs on Steam to unlock games early is by tying game unlocks to one's account region rather than IP region, but the "home region" of my account isn't Australia and I've had no issues despite running the most recent beta version of the client. Are you absolutely sure you restarted the client by first exiting it and have no other instances running (including the mobile app)?

Edit: I just restarted Steam to be super-duper sure and still have a "Play" button.

100% sure. I only have steam on this 1 machine (don't use mobile app). Didn't do anything different this time, to the previous times I have done it. Only difference is, I am now on Windows 10... whereas all my previous VPN unlocks were done on 7 and 8.1

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Worth buying on PC with a 2GB GTX 960? I have another 8GB stick on its way which will bump me up to 16GB, and a i5-4690k.

The game is killing my CPU. 100 percent maxed after it loads up. Game keeps locking at one point and sound effects keep locking with it. Eventually it catches up but it is pretty bad.

Running the game off my SSD with 16GB memory. The game is using about 4GB memory on average.

CPU is a i5 4670K 4Ghz (OC)
Asus Strix 970 GPU.

Worth buying on PC with a 2GB GTX 960? I have another 8GB stick on its way which will bump me up to 16GB, and a i5-4690k.

I ran the beta with my old hardware at 30fps with medium settings. You should be fine if you're okay with 1080p at 60fps. That's assuming the bugs are isolated, but maybe things are busted for a lot of people.

So are people saying that GMG is doing the same as the grey market key sellers?
They've been doing increasingly strange things. Ubisoft removed them from their accepted retailers and GOG doesn't know where they were Witcher 3 keys. I'm not sure what it means, but something definitely seems to amiss.

mbmonk

Windows only pages non-essential, background processes when running full screen apps. Settings your page file to 4GB or 8GB should be perfectly fine. I wouldn't advise turning it off, but if you're serious about the hard drive space, 16GB of RAM would be sufficient.

EDIT: the page file improvements really only exist in Windows 8 and 8.1 on. Windows 7 still has some wonky behavior with paging.

Thank you very much for the information :)

Matty8787

The newest NVIDIA driver comes with an SLI profile. Not aware of the performance benefits though.

I have 2 x 980s so I'll let you know if I'm still awake tonight.

Ok cool.

I have two 970's so just wondered...

Currently pre-loading anyhow as I couldn't pass up the CDKeys for £24.69!

Never been the greatest CoD fan but this one has me interested.

Top Bottom