• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From the little I've played (first level) the framerate issues to me seem somewhat linked to the alphas, especially relative to dynamic lighting, like they're being sampled at a very high rate. Looking at a truck's lights while smokey alphas pass over the front will chew off 15 - 20 fps on my 980 Ti. And one sequence, where you look through a digital window thingy into an interrogation room, took my fps down to ~45fps. As soon as it broke it shot way back up to like 120+.

From the little I've played (first level) the framerate issues to me seem somewhat linked to the alphas, especially relative to dynamic lighting, like they're being sampled at a very high rate. Looking at a truck's lights while smokey alphas pass over the front will chew off 15 - 20 fps on my 980 Ti. And one sequence, where you look through a digital window thingy into an interrogation room, took my fps down to ~45fps. As soon as it broke it shot way back up to like 120+.

Alpha has OIT (they are probably sorted very accurately at the highest setting), so turning down that could probably increase the framerate dramatically when that happens.

Freiya

Every time I try to boot the game it keeps telling me I need windows media feature pack which I've already installed -_-

bee

. In the OP?

can confirm it works very well, on a 3570k@4.4 was getting 100 cpu usage moments with huge (5 seconds or more lol) stutter/lag , with that ini tweak that's completely gone

only played campaign so far, will test multi tomorrow at 1080p, but the campaign runs so so, definitely needs patches, running 4k gsync, max(default) settings except motion blur off and smaa t2x, probably averages 45fps and bottoms out around 30 , zero stutter though, ram usage/caching however is still ridiculous, 8.3gb ram and 10.3gb vram after 45mins play

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alpha has OIT (they are probably sorted very accurately at the highest setting), so turning down that could probably increase the framerate dramatically when that happens.

Just had a look, and in the case of the truck OIT from high to medium makes almost no difference, but turning off volumetric lighting adds ~10 - 15fps.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
7 minutes left on the unpacking, it's taking ages. I'll probably post a frame rate video later for those interested.

Lulubop

My CC wasn't going through on CDKey, so I ordered from GMG....No Nuketown, I kinda want a refund.

Anyway, add Lulubop on steam. I don't have anyone to play with on steam since all my friends are pretty much console gamers.

kanuuna

3440x1440p 21:9 Curved 60hz

Kudos to Treyarch, best looking COD by far and it might even top my list of best looking FPS games ever, you even have a body in first person now! Massive improvements to the engine unless they've gone with a new one.

So, native ultrawide support is in the final game? Would you care to post a screenshot of what it looks like with the HUD and all?

Just had a look, and in the case of the truck OIT from high to medium makes almost no difference, but turning off volumetric lighting adds ~10 - 15fps.

Oh snap. I guess the game uses volumetrics for spot lights then. The beta had it form the sun only I believe. Cool to know.

Could you perhaps post a screen of the difference?

Renekton

can confirm it works very well, on a 3570k@4.4 was getting 100 cpu usage moments with huge (5 seconds or more lol) stutter/lag , with that ini tweak that's completely gone
Oo so it's like old BF4 with threads busy as heck doing buggerall.

RE4PRR

So, native ultrawide support is in the final game? Would you care to post a screenshot of what it looks like with the HUD and all?

Yeah, When I first loaded the game it instantly detected my hardware and put me to ultrawide and maxed everything out. I'm at work at the moment but I took this photo on my phone this morning, was too hyped to take a steam screenshot rofl.

z48pItY.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well, so far I've crashed twice in the menu with "DirectX error: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG [0x887A0005]"

kanuuna

Yeah, When I first loaded the game it instantly detected my hardware and put me to ultrawide and maxed everything out. I'm at work at the moment but I took this photo on my phone this morning, was too hyped to take a steam screenshot rofl.

z48pItY.jpg

Thanks.

Looks like the only thing being stretched there is the HUD (assuming those circular elements are supposed to be symmetrical). A step up from the beta which just featured black bars. I think I'll pick this up.

z48pItY.jpg

Holy shit. I'm jealous.

RE4PRR

Thanks.

Looks like the only thing being stretched there is the HUD (assuming those circular elements are supposed to be symmetrical). A step up from the beta which just featured black bars. I think I'll pick this up.

That may be due to me taking the photo sitting further away from the screen, the curve is a bit more noticeable compared to when you're actually sitting there and playing and it's giving a more stretched affect to be at least.

EatChildren

Oh snap. I guess the game uses volumetrics for spot lights then. The beta had it form the sun only I believe. Cool to know.

Could you perhaps post a screen of the difference?

Already past that scene, sorry. If I see something similar again I'll snap a shot.

Hip Hop

The game actually ran pretty well at these settings at 60fps most of the time capped. No lower than 50fps dips at 90% Resolution Scale/1080p for sure. The thing is that I had to use a controller as it doesn't feel as smooth with a mouse, and no Vsync (Feels very delayed when set to on) means screen tearing. The good news is that controller support is great in this game. Aim Assist seems at the same level as consoles so you could definitely hold your own if you are decent with a gamepad. I'll most likely use one from time to time.

With these settings, I could up the framerate cap to 75FPS/80% resolution scale at 1080 and have a much smoother experience that I could use along with my 144hz refresh rate and mouse. Felt no dips whatsoever and the graphics don't look too bad. They definitely worked on performance a bit from the beta, from what I could tell. The mouse "floaty" issue doesn't seem to be present anymore. What I will say is that capping the frames is still crucial for a smooth experience, but I guess this might only apply for people with lesser specs. But, my target was 75fps or better, no less, with these settings. There is still alot of room that you could squeeze if your target is around 60FPS.

GTX 670
i5 3570k
8GB RAM

This is all in multiplayer. Have not tried campaign.

Yuuichi

Interesting, I have just a single tier of products up on you (i5 -4670k, GTX760) so hopefully I can squeeze out something similar at 100% resolution scale. I'll post my findings later tonight, I have things to do so not going to bother with the VPN unlock.

Also, I was one of several? who seem to have gotten Nuketown with GMG. Concerning: yea. Does it really matter unless my key gets revoked: no.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well something is very wrong for me, I'm getting 70fps with everything on low/off but the mouse feels like it has a 10 ton weight attached to it, it's very broken. In beta it was a million miles better. I'll keep trying to fix it.

kanuuna

Well something is very wrong for me, I'm getting 70fps with everything on low/off but the mouse feels like it has a 10 ton weight attached to it, it's very broken. In beta it was a million miles better. I'll keep trying to fix it.

Having Vsync enabled did this for me in the beta. It's hardly the only game where I notice that, too. CS:GO for instance feels way off with vsync enabled on my end.

PS4 version, but you can see a glimpse of rays being cast by a spot light Oh snap. I guess the game uses volumetrics for spot lights then. The beta had it form the sun only I believe. Cool to know.
[/QUOTE]"]in this Giant Bomb Quick Look at 38:41

Having Vsync enabled did this for me in the beta. It's hardly the only game where I notice that, too. CS:GO for instance feels way off with vsync enabled on my end.

Yeah, I post about it every time I talk about CoD on PC and I'm glad other people notice it too. CoD has by far some of the worst Vsync input lag I've ever experienced. It's got to be an engine problem, because it happens in every single CoD.

Runs without any problems here at 1080p max settings (i7,16GB RAM, 980ti). But tbh I don't think the game looks that good. I expected more from such a linear corridor shooter.

Freiya

Every time I try to boot the game it keeps telling me I need windows media feature pack which I've already installed -_-

If anyone else runs into this problem it was some codecs I installed a few days ago that was causing the problem.

Game runs buttery smooth for me with new AMD drivers and it has crossfire support day one. Still think I'm going to go ahead and return it and get ps4 version though.

290x cfx
16 gigs ram
i7 4770k @ 4.2 ghz

Tried @ 1440p everything maxed with a smooth 60 fps in campaign. AA was FX I believe.

Jtrizzy

How is the controller support? I just play the campaigns only, no mp. Assuming I'll be destroying the game with 2 970's and a 2600k@4.5...

MattyG

Banned
Ohhhhh my god, unpacking is taking so long.

I'll check back in in a few minutes when it's done and I've tried it out on my i5-3570k and 970. I'm guessing I should do that .ini tweak?

Freiya

How is the controller support? I just play the campaigns only, no mp. Assuming I'll be destroying the game with 2 970's and a 2600k@4.5...

For the campaign it feels nice. I didn't try online because of vpn but it did feel good in the campaign.

Any estimate of how this would run on a PC with a 750ti/FX6300/8GB RAM?

(Also, should I be weirded out that pretty much every single budget PC build I can find on the internet is almost identical to mine?)

Hip Hop

Controller has the very same aim assist from consoles as far as I could tell when I was playing online. You can definitely do well if you're good at using a controller.

CHC

I used the VPN and I'm in the game.

But I literally cannot get past the menu. It runs at 1 FPS with a totally misaligned cursor, it's horrendous.

edit: it was the "WorkerThreads" issue. All good now.

Beepos

Beta ran well for me at 1080p

i5 4760k OC
GTX 970
16GB
Win 10

Is the full release more optimised or about the same?

CHC

Performance is inexcusably awful. Everything on medium at 1440p and I'm not even breaking 30 FPS.

i5-2500k
8 GB RAM
GTX 780

I know my card is like SLIGHTLY old but COME THHE FUCK ON here.

stef t97

Not a performance issue but all the menu options for actually playing the game are greyed out for me. It's 1:45am here so I assumed it was unlocked? Not quite sure how to fix this, haven't seen anyone else with this issue here or on the steam forums.

CHC

Yeah something is like... certifiably wrong with this port right now.

I'm on a 780 and I run 40 FPS with all settings on low at 1440p, and it looks like fucking N64 game with those settings.

Definitely a problem.

Top Bottom