• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Hype/News/Info Thread (PC Dedicated Servers)

kuYuri

New MW3 360 console + accessories announced

http://majornelson.com/2011/09/02/x...adset-with-bluetooth-and-wireless-controller/

HVGDf.jpg

Hey You

I wasn't planning on getting MW3 and I was just gonna play BLOPS till the second one came out, but damn seeing all the details has sucked me in.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just some impressions (I actually watched that whole 45-minute Gamespot video):

- I like the more minimal HUD. Yeah, it's virtually the same as MW2's, but the info that pops up on your screen is less gaudy and oversized (like the name of the player that captured a flag, the icon/prompt for the streak you just earned, etc.).
- No TAR-21 is a huge bummer. Hopefully one of the new ARs will have a similar feel, or maybe the ACR will get an upgrade in damage.
- Deathstreaks are still stupid, but mostly harmless — looks like they took out Painkiller, the most annoying one.
- The different "strike packages" are pretty significant, but will anyone EVER choose Support? Will some gametypes make it a requirement? This could really have an effect on teamwork, for better or worse.
- Leveling up even weapons now really makes this Super Bar Filler Turbo HD '12.
- Glad to see that the points system from Black Ops was eliminated (wasn't expecting IW to carry on with much of what Treyarch did anyway). Hopefully that means the unique challenges are back for unlocking titles, emblems, etc. It gives players more incentive to mix things up and take chances in-game.
- I'm glad that things like OMA, nukes, etc. have been removed, but with all of the new stuff they've added, I feel like there's still opportunities for there to be some game-breaking stuff. I wonder how significant some Proficiencies will be when combined with certain perks?

Ultimately, I like what I've seen so far. I guess that makes me a pathetic dudebro "sheep" or something according to most of GAF, but whatever.

Raide

Patrick Bateman said:
What's this "kill confirmed"-thing?

You only get +1 point to the Team Total if you kill and collect their floating Dogtag. I guess they are trying to cut down on people just running and gunning, instead they run, gun, collect stuff, run and gun again.

Patrick Bateman said:
What's this "kill confirmed"-thing?

You can kill someone with guns but you only get points if you run over his dead body and collect the dog tags that he will drop. Likewise, if you run over a dead team mate's body and collect his dog tag, you'll prevent the enemy team from getting the points.

RedSwirl

Have I already talked about this here (I can't find the post)? I'm seriously thinking about jumping on MW2 for $15 on Steam, and I'm not sure why.

COD4 on PC is still as enjoyable as ever. I got BLOPS on a deal for basically nothing because I wanted something a little more balanced and less hectic, but Treyarch did a shit job of optimizing it for PC.

I haven't played MW2 since a PS3 rental around the time it came out almost two years ago. Does any part of the game hold up? I never even touched Spec Ops mode. I don't know when or if I will buy MW3.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RedSwirl said:
Have I already talked about this here (I can't find the post)? I'm seriously thinking about jumping on MW2 for $15 on Steam, and I'm not sure why.

COD4 on PC is still as enjoyable as ever. I got BLOPS on a deal for basically nothing because I wanted something a little more balanced and less hectic, but Treyarch did a shit job of optimizing it for PC.

I haven't played MW2 since a PS3 rental around the time it came out almost two years ago. Does any part of the game hold up? I never even touched Spec Ops mode. I don't know when or if I will buy MW3.
Spec-Ops is amazing with a friend, but MW2 is far less balanced and far more hectic than Blops in multiplayer.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
snack said:
I wanna pick up them tags!

I wanna NOT pick up them tags so I can rack up more kills!

Stallion Free said:
Spec-Ops is amazing with a friend, but MW2 is far less balanced and far more hectic than Blops in multiplayer.

Spec Ops was garbage because you could only play with one friend.

zeelman

Raide said:
You only get +1 point to the Team Total if you kill and collect their floating Dogtag. I guess they are trying to cut down on people just running and gunning, instead they run, gun, collect stuff, run and gun again.

I think the idea is to encourage run and gunning.

Raide

zeelman said:
I think the idea is to encourage run and gunning.

Someone has to collect, else you get no points. I can see it being a great game for a Rambo player to sprint around the map killing everyone and 1 playing laughing as they play street cleaner and collect tags.

Now combine it with those Gun Match things in Blops and you might have something a bit more interesting.

RedSwirl

Stallion Free said:

Basically none of my Steam friends plays MW2, so I can count that out.

I think everyone that says that it LOOKS like MW2 are missing the point about this game. The focus wasn't on taking MW2 and improving the graphics. It was on taking the game and making the gunplay feel better.

In MW2, your choices were simply the weapons and their attachments. In MW3, you can choose how the gunplay feels by choosing whether to reduce the sway, reduce the kick, or keep the sway and kick in exchange for dual attachments, or faster melee, etc. Like in CoD4, the feel for the SMGs is going to be different from the ARs and the LMGs will feel like more than slow ARs.
Raide said:
1887...*screams and runs out of the room*
no dual shotguns was already confirmed

Seeing as there is a prestige shop, I wonder how many times you can prestige in MW3.... But then again, having to go through 80 levels just to earn a prestige.....

Polydeuces said:
Seeing as there is a prestige shop, I wonder how many times you can prestige in MW3.... But then again, having to go through 80 levels just to earn a prestige.....

Grab double XP after your first prestige to make it less painful.

I'm not familiar with Amazon that much. Can I use the $20 credit I got with Gears 3 on the Hardened edition? They don't have any rules about using those credits on limited/special editions?

Nelo Ice

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm not familiar with Amazon that much. Can I use the $20 credit I got with Gears 3 on the Hardened edition? They don't have any rules about using those credits on limited/special editions?

Pre-order Gears of War 3 and get $20 off a future video game purchase

that means the credit works on any game LE or not.

only difference would be if it says $20 off anything on amazon and if its just general promo credit then the only exclusions would be on kindles and other things im forgetting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So according to a leaked achievements list, there are 48 stars in spec-ops mission would which means there are only 16 missions. That's kind of disappointing after there were 23 in MW2. Maybe this time they will actually release expansions for it though.

Top Bottom