• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Sells 6.5 Million Copies In 24 Hours In NA/UK Alone

CozMick

Banned
TheMan said:
Really surprised to read that COD has made more money than star wars. That's pretty damn impressive.

It's because the sequels have got better and better, not worse and worse.

ultron87

Nuclear Muffin said:
So how much would you guys be willing to bet that the next gen consoles (PS4 and Xbox 10) will become glorified cable boxes, where most popular game series become subscription services? (Complete with cable card slot on the actual console and game channel package deals that incorporate Cable TV channels too)

Because if COD Elite goes on to be the success that it's looking like it may be, I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

Call of Duty Elite is nothing more than a fancily named version of a DLC season pass. It'd be a long extremely slippery slope we'd have to fall down to get to some apocalyptic "all games are subscription based" future.

Enosh

oh well maybe next year for the "call of duty fatigue will be setting in this time" crowd
edit: forgot a word there at the end ^^

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
1 thing I just realized what will happen when one of the entries of COD doesn't surpass the last one

I mean there's got to be a point where the incline will plateau or go downward right?

MW3 beats BLOPS beat MW2 beats W@W beats MW1 in Day 1 sales, can this keep going?

faridmon

I for one Can't wait for Black Ops 2. I never gotten into MW series but I bloody enjoyed Black OPs MP. Bring it on next Year Activision, you have my money.

ultron87

GraveRobberX said:
1 thing I just realized what will happen when one of the entries of COD doesn't surpass the last one

I mean there's got to be a point where the incline will plateau or go downward right?

MW3 beats BLOPS beat MW2 beats W@W beats MW1 in Day 1 sales, can this keep going?

It'll probably happen when next-gen consoles come out, since there will inherently be a smaller installed base for those and people won't want to buy the inferior 360/PS3 version when there's a shiny PS4/NextBox version out.

Raide

GraveRobberX said:

With Blops 2 next year, it depends what they do with the online. If they revert back to Black Ops style, people will be pissed. If they just take MW3 and mod it again, it could sell massively. Its worked for them in the past, cannot see why it won't work again.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
BKK said:

...Ok.

GIGAHOLYFUCKINCRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP

6.5 millions SOLD, only considering first day in USA AND UK, not even the whole Europe.
I wonder how much the game exclusivity would cost... 500 millions? :lol

faridmon

Mpl90 said:
...Ok.

GIGAHOLYFUCKINCRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP

6.5 millions SOLD, only considering first day in USA AND UK, not even the whole Europe.
Yeah, more importantly, I wonder how much have they shipped.

Raide

Quote from PR

"I would like to thank our incredible teams at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games for making a brilliant game. But most of all, I would like to thank our millions of passionate fans worldwide. We made this game for money."

Fixed for accuracy.

GraveRobberX

Mpl90 said:

I say more like 1.5 billion for exclusivity... you know how many fucking consoles you would sell if your system only had COD
You'd take the 3/4ths of the marketshare and let the other 2 fight it out for the 1/4th left

rvy said:
1539395-02416710_photo_robert_kotick.jpg

Can someone explain to me why he was in Moneyball?

Moneyhats?

EDIT: Apparently it was Moneyhats - FOR CHARITY!

Mpl90

faridmon said:
Yeah, more importantly, I wonder how much have they shipped.

Well, more than 10 millions seems a good guess.
12-13 millions IMHO.
Really scary. And as i was saying ealier, imagine if one day one of the three competitors obtain to have a brand new main COD exclusive to its console... first of all, it would cost an insane amount of money O_O

TedNindo

It's like the mario kart of FPS games.

It's popular. It's fun to play with friends. It makes the shittier players feel like they have a chance to win. Hell even the little kids can play it. But nobody takes it seriously competitivly because it's crappy and unbalanced as a racing game.

faridmon

Mpl90 said:
Well, more than 10 millions seems a good guess.
12-13 millions IMHO.
Really scary. And as i was saying ealier, imagine if one day one of the three competitors obtain to have a brand new main COD exclusive to its console... first of all, it would cost an insane amount of money O_O
I wouldn't be suprised if they shipped 20 Million of the game. It sold that much in only 2 countries. They could sell 10 million WW in a single day. In the next month or so, another 5 million. Bloody hell, 20 million might be an undershipping.

I said WOW!!!

Mpl90

However, the |OT| title got it right...as it was expected :p

BKK

5.6m>6.5m is a 16% YoY increase, but as franchises tend to get more and more frontloaded the further into a generation you get, then this Day one figure may not necessarily indicate that it will go on to outsell the previous entry.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
BKK said:
5.6m>6.5m is a 16% YoY increase, but as franchises tend to get more and more frontloaded the further into a generation you get, then this Day one figure may not necessarily indicate that it will go on to outsell the previous entry.
So far hasn't each entry In the series sold more on the first day and more after the first day than the previous entry?

faridmon

BKK said:
Doesn't CoD games sell throught the year? Black OPS still chart...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
user_nat said:
So far hasn't each entry In the series sold more on the first day and more after the first day than the previous entry?
So far each one has sold more as a whole.

World At War is the kind of odd one, since it sold more globally than CoD4, but less in the U.S., but otherwise the trend holds.

For lifetime shipments, we have 22 Million for Modern Warfare 2 and 25 million for Black Ops, but we probably won't be able to tell if Modern Warfare 3 beat Black Ops until around August next year.

Tron 2.0

BKK said:
5.6m<6.5m is a 16% YoY increase, but as franchises tend to get more and more frontloaded the further into a generation you get, then this Day one figure may not necessarily indicate that it will go on to outsell the previous entry.
Possibly, but CoD has defied this trend. Black Ops had incredible legs. It charted in the NPD Top 10 (Top 5?) every month since release.

EDIT: I see other people think the same.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tron 2.0 said:
Possibly, but CoD has defied this trend. Black Ops had incredible legs. It charted in the NPD Top 10 (Top 5?) every month since release.

The Modern Warfare games have historically sold better than the off-year entries.
It would be slightly more accurate to say that the Modern Warfare entries are the ones that tend to drive the most growth.

Call of Duty 4 did around 13 million lifetime, and WaW only did a bit more than that.

CoD4 itself was around a 8-10 million or so increase from CoD3.

However, I don't think we will see Modern Warfare 3 push another 8-10 million unit growth for the franchise, so the real question becomes if the series' growth is slowing even if it does go up.

GraveRobberX

BKK said:

When COD4MW a game from 200"fucking"7 still costs around $29.99 new and games that aren't even 6 months old are already treading $14.99-$19.99, that's just insane, DAT Staying Power

Tron 2.0

Nirolak said:
It would be slightly more accurate to say that the Modern Warfare entries are the ones that tend to drive the most growth.

Call of Duty 4 did around 13 million lifetime, and WaW only did a bit more than that.

CoD4 itself was around a 8-10 million or so increase from CoD3.

However, I don't think we will see Modern Warfare 3 push another 8-10 million unit growth for the franchise, so the real question becomes if the series' growth is slowing even if it does go up.
I had actually forgotten that WaW sold more than CoD4 worldwide before I saw your post.

rvy said:
ZDJoS.jpg

Dude created something so successful that he doesn't even need to be on the team anymore. Hoy shit.
Motherfuckers better realise that it was jason, vince and the original COD4 team at IW who made this vacuum of a franchise what it is. They made online gaming FUN for PS3 and 360 owners. Shit COD4 let other developers know that online gaming can be done right on the PS3. Fucking amateurs. They knew to develope the PS3 version separately to achieve a excellent and seamless game graphically. They really did go deep and hard with COD4.

So basically what im saying is....... Never. fucking. Forget.

Gomu Gomu

I said wow. I thought the series peaked with Black Ops. Apparently, I'm gonna be wrong big time, if this is how many it sold in it's first day in two countries only.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tron 2.0 said:
I had actually forgotten that WaW sold more than CoD4 worldwide before I saw your post.
Yeah, the situation surrounding it was pretty confusing, since it did most of that on the tail end and it wasn't well publicized.

BKK

What I'm saying is that the more established a franchise becomes, the higher the percentage of the fanbase purchases that game day one.

If the YoY day one increase is big enough to offset the increasingly frontloaded nature of the franchise then you can still see higher day one sales, higher post day one sales, and also more frontloaded sales. There isn't necessarily any contradiction there, the only question is if 16% YoY day one increase is enough to offset the increased "frontloadedness".

I don't have the YoY day one increases for previous entries, but I suspect they were higher than this one. I also suspect that day one to lifetime ratios has also become higher with each new entry. If anyone has those figures please post.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BKK said:
What I'm saying is that the more established a franchise becomes, the higher the percentage of the fanbase purchases that game day one.

If the YoY day one increase is big enough to offset the increasingly frontloaded nature of the franchise then you can still see higher day one sales, higher post day one sales, and also more frontloaded sales. There isn't necessarily any contradiction there, the only question is if 16% YoY day one increase is enough to offset the increased "frontloadedness".

I don't have the YoY day one increases for previous entries, but I suspect they were higher than this one. I also suspect that day one to lifetime ratios has also become higher with each new entry. If anyone has those figures please post.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you there.

I was just talking about what has happened so far.

I would actually expect the scenario you described when it finally does go down, even if it isn't this entry.

NHale

Congrats. Amazing numbers for Activision.

They could make Sony and Microsoft go 3rd party if they want to. They just have to announce the "COD box"... Thankfully it will never happen though because they gain more money this way.

Top Bottom