• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Sells 6.5 Million Copies In 24 Hours In NA/UK Alone

CmdrDao said:
Stock Market 101: Likely future events are already priced in by the time they occur.

MW3 selling >5M US/UK units day one? Priced in. BO did that, so MW3 can be reasonably expected to do around the same. The small movement in price is just random day to day wobble.

If CoD significantly underperforms, say sells 2M US/UK units day one, then ATVI stock will take a monster hit. If CoD significantly overperforms, say sells 10M US/UK units day one, ATVI stock will make a decent jump.

Much more to do with the WoW subscriber base declines, don't you think?

Despera

Banned
jett said:
I really don't understand how the CoD phenomenon hasn't slowed down at all. It's so stupidly ahead of everything else in terms of sales it's flabbergasting.
Especially when more deserving games aren't even close to reaching half those numbers.

But still, CoD titles are pretty damn fun online. It's just that I can't play them more than 20-something hours before quitting and moving on. Guess this is good news for fans.

Dabanton

jett said:
I really don't understand how the CoD phenomenon hasn't slowed down at all. It's so stupidly ahead of everything else in terms of sales it's flabbergasting.

Rewards when playing. A fuckton of different modes that cater to almost any playing style or mood.

And it's silky smooth.

Grecco said:
Oh we are past that point i think. EA, Microsoft, Take 2, THQ, Warner Brothers all are on board the subscription train in some capacity.

Yup...

The Premium Elite Subscription is nothing more than a glorified Season Pass, difference being that Elite offers more than just DLC.

faridmon said:
You, for one, since you posted on this thread.

I think there is some rule when you don't care, you have to tell everyone that you don't care or they will assume you care and you can't have that!!!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dabanton said:
Rewards when playing a fuckton of different modes that cater to almost any playing style or mood.

And it's silky smooth.

Yep Yep Yep.

Play however you want to play, get points, level up, repeat. It's fucking amazingly fun, and I've pumped ~15 hours into it over the last three days. Already got to a higher level than I did during Black Ops and it's suck-ass multiplayer.

Sometimes you just want a fun game that rewards you for playing, and this is it.

Edit:

And yes, smooth! Played some GeOW 3 last night, and it felt like the game was a slide-show. 60fps or bust.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Every game in the world should be like Call Of Duty for the awesome mindblowing sales.

Yes. Even you Zelda.

rvy

Banned
faridmon said:
IGN: What Zelda Can Learn From Call of Duty.
KuGsj.gif

Well done.

kuYuri

"There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?" /Halo

Well deserved sales. Easily one of the best, if not the best game in the franchise.

J-Rzez

Kung Fu Grip said:
Motherfuckers better realise that it was jason, vince and the original COD4 team at IW who made this vacuum of a franchise what it is. They made online gaming FUN for PS3 and 360 owners. Shit COD4 let other developers know that online gaming can be done right on the PS3. Fucking amateurs. They knew to develope the PS3 version separately to achieve a excellent and seamless game graphically. They really did go deep and hard with COD4.

So basically what im saying is....... Never. fucking. Forget.

Wrong. Like it or not Resistance 1 set the bar this gen for what to want out of PS3, and console gaming. It was heavily polished, it did basically everything right. In fact, it took years for other developers to catch up to the standards set by it.

codhand

CmdrDao said:
Stock Market 101: Likely future events are already priced in by the time they occur.

ATVI hasn't moved in 3 years since the 2008 crash, so the notion of something being cooked in or not doesn't apply here, especially with the myriad events that have occurred both in the industry and within Activision itself. Well I agree with the notion that it is supposed to be "already priced in" it doesn't seem to work that way in reality. In fact I think the better assessment was the one that assumes Activision is failing to impress those crowds infatuated with Zynga, iOS and other bubble contenders.

My general point was just that people seem to think Activision must be rolling in it, but I'd bet investors are not thrilled if they've owned it the last few years.

Lothars

DMeisterJ said:
Yep Yep Yep.

Play however you want to play, get points, level up, repeat. It's fucking amazingly fun, and I've pumped ~15 hours into it over the last three days. Already got to a higher level than I did during Black Ops and it's suck-ass multiplayer.

Sometimes you just want a fun game that rewards you for playing, and this is it.

Edit:

And yes, smooth! Played some GeOW 3 last night, and it felt like the game was a slide-show. 60fps or bust.
It's a sad world when Cod keeps outselling games like GeOW 3 and others.

ZZMitch

Lothars said:

In a perfect world Europa Universalis 3 would have sold 25 million copies, but alas. Gamers are not yet ready for semi-historical grand strategy games.

But for now, CoD is good replacement.

bangai-o

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Lol how is a game selling well bad for the industry?
i realize that it is not the popular thing to do right now to criticize Call of Duty. But, it having a particular negative effect on the industry cant be completely ignored.

Will Activision truly use this toward funding other studios riskier endevours? Too bad Bizzarre Creations (greatest racing studio in gaming history) got shafted only after one racing game.

Meier

Lothars said:
Still haven't played a Gears game.. no real interest. I'll continue to buy CoD every year because I enjoy it. Don't see a problem myself.

stuminus3

Banned
The Bloomberg channel on TV is reporting record breaking sales of "Call of Duty 3".

Something about that makes me giggle.

bangai-o said:
i realize that it is not the popular thing to do right now to criticize Call of Duty. But, it having a particular negative effect on the industry cant be completely ignored.

Will Activision truly use this toward funding other studios riskier endevours? Too bad Bizzarre Creations (greatest racing studio in gaming history) got shafted only after one racing game.

lol.

wut.

Brother, CoD hatin' is in this year.

hamchan

bangai-o said:

New Bungie game and whatever Blizzard wants to do?

mr stroke

bangai-o said:

Your going a little far with that. COD will sell loads, and awesome more unique games will still be made every year. Now if MW3 were actually bad shovel ware then maybe. But at its core MW3 is a very well made game, its just played out.

domlolz

Banned
capitalism at it's most efficient. Each year the game rakes in more and more money and it seems they put less and less money into each iteration, squeezing as much profit possible before the backlash/collapse.

New XBL record and huges sales more info:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/17/modern-warfare-3-grosses-775m-in-five-days-sets-xbl-record/
Modern Warfare 3 grosses $775M in five days, sets XBL record

Activision has announced Modern Warfare 3 has set a new five-day entertainment record, by grossing over $775 million worldwide. It has also set a record on Xbox Live by having 3.3 million unique online users in one day.

More info soon the article says so I guess press release incoming.

Road

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=624766

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 has shattered theatrical box office, book and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell-through in dollars. The game established an all-new five-day worldwide sell-through record of more than $775 million, exceeding the record of $650 million set a year ago by Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops and $550 million two years ago for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare® 2, according to Charttrack and retail customer sell-through information..

"With $775 million of sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in its first five days, Call of Duty has become the first entertainment property in history to set five-day launch records for three consecutive years across all forms of entertainment," said Robert Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard. "Life-to-date retail sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded $6 billion worldwide, which makes Call of Duty one of the most valuable entertainment properties in the world. We expect continued sales momentum, as reviews and audience enthusiasm suggest that this is the best Call of Duty game that we have ever made. Online play for Modern Warfare 3 is at record levels and we continue to see high online play for both Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which ranked as the #2 and #4 top-played Xbox LIVE games for the week of November 7, according to Major Nelson."

"As I have said all year, we have been singluarly focused on making a spectacular game for our fans, and nothing else. Our incredible teams at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games have done just that," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO, Activision Publishing. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 continues to thrill core gaming enthusiasts as well as draw new people into the medium, which is not an easy balancing act. But it takes more than a great game. I would also like to thank our incredible team for the pulling off the launch of the year, as well as our retail partners around the world. But most of all, I want to thank our fans. They are our toughest critics, and our biggest supporters, and none of this would be possible without them."

In addition to beating all previous first-and five-day theatrical box office, book and video game sell-through records, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 set two new records on Xbox® LIVE™.

According to Microsoft:

More than 7.0 million multiplayer hours were logged playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 by the end of launch day, November 8, a 19% increase over last year's 5.9 million multiplayer hours logged playing Call of Duty: Black Ops last year's launch day.
More than 3.3 million unique gamers played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in one day on November 8 up from 2.6 million unique gamers for Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 set a new record for concurrent players on Xbox LIVE with 3.3 million simultaneous users on November 8.

"The Call of Duty franchise returned to Xbox 360 this year with another record-breaking launch. More than 7 million multiplayer hours were played on Modern Warfare 3 on day-one of launch on Xbox 360," said Don Mattrick, president of the interactive entertainment business at Microsoft. "And with the exclusive first access to new multiplayer content, we're proud Xbox 360 is home to the largest and most engaged Call of Duty community."

The game also set a new franchise mark for the number of simultaneous online gamers playing Call of Duty on PlayStation® Network on its first day, and was the best-selling video game launch of all time in North America on Amazon.com and at Best Buy, GameStop, Target and Walmart.

"In just over a week, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has been hugely successful on PlayStation 3, and continues to drive millions of gamers globally to PlayStation Network with its unprecedented and engaging online multiplayer experience," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America (SCEA). "The Call of Duty franchise is one of the biggest entertainment brands on the planet, delivering gameplay experiences like no other which is why we're also excited to bring the Call of Duty franchise to our highly-anticipated next generation portable, PlayStation Vita, where we expect fans will continue their dedication to the most amazing Call of Duty experiences whether in the home or on the go."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is rated "M" (Mature) by the ESRB for Blood and Gore, Drug Reference, Intense Violence and Strong Language and is available now for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows® PC. For more information visit www.callofduty.com/mw3 and www.callofduty.com/elite.

CmdrDao said:

MW3 selling >5M US/UK units day one? Priced in. BO did that, so MW3 can be reasonably expected to do around the same. The small movement in price is just random day to day wobble.

If CoD significantly underperforms, say sells 2M US/UK units day one, then ATVI stock will take a monster hit. If CoD significantly overperforms, say sells 10M US/UK units day one, ATVI stock will make a decent jump.

ATVI stock is so heavily manipulated it's not even funny. Way too many insiders owning shares to be a sound investment for the regular Joe.

WrikaWrek

Banned
. Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise exceed worldwide theatrical box office for “Star Wars” and “Lord of the Rings,” two of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time.”

Games are a big deal these days.

JB1981

MrToughPants said:
I'm not surprised. All the kids in the grade 6 class I taught two weeks ago wouldn't shut up about it.

Went to a Jets game Sunday with a crowd of 30 somethings. It's all they talked about too. COD is getting people that gave up gaming years ago back into the game, so to speak. It's part of the zeitgeist.

Top Bottom