• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Sells 6.5 Million Copies In 24 Hours In NA/UK Alone

KingDizzi

Banned
The COD games also sell incredibly well in the rest of EU, Black Ops 360 outsold the PS3 version in the UK by a huge amount yet overall in EU the PS3 version sold better. So it's probably well over 8 million first day..........at least. The game is also really really good and thought that is the COD franchise was going to go down the shitter it would be now with what happened to IW. MW3 turned out great and it's reasonable to expect another very solid game from Treyarch so yeah this franchise won't go down anytime soon.

Something else will come along, always does and always will but for now it's all about COD.

My thought has been that if COD is going to be taken down, it's gonna be done by the guys that made it big. So Zampella, West et al.

bangai-o

Banned
Raide said:
As much as I want to think "Great, maybe those teams can go on to make more varied games now they have all that cash", it basically means they are stuck on CoD games until they die of old age or the series bombs.
if Gaf is any indication, any kind of new ip that they would create is auto shit. We always talk about wanting new ideas in games, but always bitch about it when it actually happens.

NHale

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I guess it's back to the drawing board for EA's marketing teams.

Not only marketing but developers also. They need to understand that 60fps is much more important than pretty graphics.

The mass market audience may not know the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but they feel it. Mass market wants fast and twitchy controls, meanwhile EA keeps thinking that they want pretty graphics...

JB1981

Kung Fu Grip said:
Motherfuckers better realise that it was jason, vince and the original COD4 team at IW who made this vacuum of a franchise what it is. They made online gaming FUN for PS3 and 360 owners. Shit COD4 let other developers know that online gaming can be done right on the PS3. Fucking amateurs. They knew to develope the PS3 version separately to achieve a excellent and seamless game graphically. They really did go deep and hard with COD4.

So basically what im saying is....... Never. fucking. Forget.
Wow thanks for posting this

Dabanton

bangai-o said:
if Gaf is any indication, any kind of new ip that they would create is auto shit. We always talk about wanting new ideas in games, but always bitch about it when it actually happens.

Aint that the truth.

And the games companies know it too. Why waste millions building a new I.P when you can refashion an old one.

NHale said:
Not only marketing but developers also. They need to understand that 60fps is much more important than pretty graphics.

The mass market audience may not know the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but they feel it. Mass market wants fast and twitchy controls, meanwhile EA keeps thinking that they want pretty graphics...

Please. This is incredibly reductive of BF3 (let's stop beating around the bush, shall we?).

COD is so successful largely because it's an incredibly rewarding experience (and in several ways) to play and has a large community. A game isn't this successful because of its FPS.

Dabanton

bluehat9 said:
I still haven't been able to see the elite website stuff yet.

Yeah it's on an off on the website and console apps.

If millions are trying to access it it's no surprise but it's annoying nevertheless.

hamchan

Dabanton said:
Aint that the truth.

And the games companies know it too. Why waste millions building a new I.P when you can refashion an old one.
Well talking Activision specifically, they have that Bungie partnership and Blizzard is working on Titan. Knowing the track records of those two developers Activision could soon have another two big franchises under their belt.

rvy

Banned
NHale said:

I certainly hope more developers understand this, but BF3 is far from unsuccessful. It's not pulling MW3 numbers, but nobody seriously expected it too.

Dabanton

hamchan said:
Well talking Activision specifically, they have that Bungie partnership and Blizzard is working on Titan. Knowing the track records of those two developers Activision could soon have another two big franchises under their belt.

True and they will probably appear at the start of next gen. This gen is done in terms of multi million dolaar new I.P's.

Activision are in a obscenely good postion.

rvy said:
I certainly hope more developers understand this, but BF3 is far from unsuccessful. It's not pulling MW3 numbers, but nobody seriously expected it too.
EA proudly boasted that CoD would be dead in 2-3 years a la Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero. Less than 6 months ago if I recall.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
EA proudly boasted that CoD would be dead in 2-3 years a la Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero. Less than 6 months ago if I recall.

One idiot at EA proudly boasted. Plenty of others have said they're just trying to take or grow marketshare.

NHale

Anton Sugar said:
Please. This is incredibly reductive of BF3 (let's stop beating around the bush, shall we?).

COD is so successful largely because it's an incredibly rewarding experience (and in several ways) to play and has a large community. A game isn't this successful because of its FPS.

It's not reductive of anything. It wasn't me that stated that the "COD giant" would be "rot" in 2-3 years, it was EA! But that truth is, EA released their best FPS game and COD sales still increased...

What I was trying to say is that if EA really want to "kill COD", they need to understand that mass market wants fast and twitchy controls (which I wouldn't want Battlefield to be btw) not graphics.

NHale said:
It's not reductive of anything. It wasn't me that stated that the "COD giant" would be "rot" in 2-3 years, it was EA! But that truth is, EA released their best FPS game and COD sales still increased...

What I was saying is that if they really want to "kill COD", they need to understand that mass market wants fast and twitchy controls (which I wouldn't want Battlefield to be btw) not graphics.

Two issues I take with this. One, again, while a few numbskulls at EA have made some beyond-idiotic statements, at other times they have been more realistic and said they just want to reduce COD's marketshare and/or expand the FPS marketshare via BF3.

Two, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to create a new engine and it should, IMO, be encouraged. From a marketing standpoint, the visuals are literally the first thing a gamer/new customer sees of your game. I'm not blowing anyone's minds by saying that MW3 looks very dated, particularly the MP--but clearly, that hasn't affected the sales. I don't think that the FB 2.0 engine was ever meant to be (at least, it should not have been) the main draw to Battlefield 3, but it certainly helped get attention.

However, I DO agree/see your point that EA had an idiotic marketing campaign that focused on all the wrong things (the graphics engine being one of them, the lackluster SP being the other). BF3 was never going to be a COD-killer, because it would have had to become something other than Battlefield in order to do so.

BF3 will NEVER be a COD-killer because of this...but it can still be incredibly successful and gain new custoers, which it has.

x-Lundz-x

Whelp, I guess so much for COD slowing down anytime soon. I have it and am enjoying the shit out of it just like every other COD game before it.

If they were not good games that are a hell of a lot of fun to play, people would not buy them. It's pretty much as simple as that.

Cromat

For someone who hasn't been paying much attention:

How much did Battlefield 3 sell?
Is it even close to MW3? What are the impressions people have of both games?

I'm interested if this success is the result of clever marketing and brand name or representative of the actual quality of the game.

Burekma

Good... good.

Excellent.

Extremely enjoying the SP campaign on veteran. Doesn't feel frustrating at all, despite the fact I'm constantly dying. COD has some of the best FPS gunplay out there, it just feels so incredibly satisfying and fun firing them guns.

Cromat said:

I'm interested if this success is the result of clever marketing and brand name or representative of the actual quality of the game.

BF3 had 5 million sold it's first week.

I only own BF3, but have been keeping an eye on the MW3 OT, trying to gauge whether or not I'll like it (enjoyed COD4 quite a bit, MW2 not so much, and liked BLOPS from the free weekend I played). Posted this in the MW3 vs BF3 thread:

Both games under-delivered in a lot of ways, some really small but basic/standard, some big.

BF3: Shoehorned squad management, no in-game VOIP, lackluster CQ maps, TDM map & spawn problems, various bugged weapons (suppressors not affecting minimap, TV missiles not working on aircraft, etc. ), almost game-breaking IRNV, flashlights, etc.

MW3: Perceived "too high" damage, maze-like small maps, unranked dedicated servers on PC, horrible FOV on PC, weapon balance issues (2-shot kill weapons, weak shotguns), quick scoping, "more of the same" (not necessarily bad)

I really haven't heard too much complaining about MW3's core gameplay design (other than the weapon damage)--Kill Confirmed seems to be loved and so far, the Strike Packages don't seem particularly imbalanced (GAF is already at level 70+).

With better maps and continued support, both games will be fine.

hamchan

Cromat said:

BF3 had 10 million shipped first week or something like that. This is 6.5 million sold to customers in one day, so it's much more impressive.

Also it's not really about the quality of the games but the accessibility. CoD is far easier to play, is faster paced and the quasi-RPG unlock system is more addictive than BF3's. Look at some of the highest selling games of all time and you'll see that most of them aren't that complicated and are very accessible. Though if you do want to know the quality of the games then they are both very well made, good games.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Motherfuckers better realise that it was jason, vince and the original COD4 team at IW who made this vacuum of a franchise what it is. They made online gaming FUN for PS3 and 360 owners. Shit COD4 let other developers know that online gaming can be done right on the PS3. Fucking amateurs. They knew to develope the PS3 version separately to achieve a excellent and seamless game graphically. They really did go deep and hard with COD4.

So basically what im saying is....... Never. fucking. Forget.

Yeah, but the real IW still made MW2 which paled in comparision to COD4. I'm not sure if that was all them or forced Activision focus group advice that made them do it.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Well that leaves another couple paint jobs to see if Activision can milk it even more.

x-Lundz-x

Sho_Nuff82 said:

zomgbbqftw said:
Well that leaves another couple paint jobs to see if Activision can milk it even more.

COD is not a music game with 200 dollar peripherals that comes out every year; it's a FPS(Which will never go away) and a damn great one at that. COD isn't going anywhere.

MP absolutely blows and I really don't enjoy the maps, they are terrible. However, I did really enjoy the campaign, its definitely better than MW2.

Shockin' news. No issues here. If the devs keep bringing these sexy-ass single-player campaigns I'll be happy to buy it somewhere down the line.

Hate all you like, CoD is damn near peerless when it comes to linear shooter awesomesauce.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
codhand said:
aaaaand Dow up 275 points, ATVI down 1.2%.....

Well, they sold ZERO on iOS!
The 6.5 millions on DYING consoles are a massive failure, when you don't have a vibrant version on the MOST SOLD GAMING PLATFORM!

The Lamp

Are people ever going to get tired of yearly releases of the same franchise with incremental multiplayer updates and a short single player campaign? I'm honestly curious. I've yet to play it with all the other games I had planned this fall, but I did play MW2 and grew tired of it quickly. Same with Black Ops. I got tired of the series a while ago, though I have friends that really like it. I thought maybe sales would slip by now, but they just keep exploding for Call of Duty. Maybe Activision can just put all its eggs in the COD basket and not even have to worry about other games, and they'd be just fine!

It seems like they can go another two years at least without any hitch in sales. They already lost a lot of Infinity Ward and even that didn't seem to stop their success.

NHale said:

Game runs at 60fps on many our PC's, and it makes no difference. The game is not fast twitchy shooter, the frame rate has nothing to do with that.

CmdrDao

Neo Member
aaaaand Dow up 275 points, ATVI down 1.2%.....

Stock Market 101: Likely future events are already priced in by the time they occur.

MW3 selling >5M US/UK units day one? Priced in. BO did that, so MW3 can be reasonably expected to do around the same. The small movement in price is just random day to day wobble.

If CoD significantly underperforms, say sells 2M US/UK units day one, then ATVI stock will take a monster hit. If CoD significantly overperforms, say sells 10M US/UK units day one, ATVI stock will make a decent jump.

BattleMonkey said:
Game runs at 60fps on many our PC's, and it makes no difference. The game is not fast twitchy shooter, the frame rate has nothing to do with that.

As far as console shooters are concerned, it's pretty darned fast and the framrate complements it very well.

Edit: Drat, sorry. Reading and comprehending is good for you, kids.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
As far as console shooters are concerned, it's pretty darned fast and the framrate complements it very well.

Talking about BF3. Even at higher frame rate, it doesn't make the game faster paced and more twitchy.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
yep. and it's about how the game *feels* at 60 fps. it doesn't need to be twitch based to feel 'tighter' at 60 fps.

still, the game barely runs at 60 on consoles. it beats 30 fps by far, but i think it's a bit much to call it 60 when Rage and Rayman are running locked at 60.

BattleMonkey said:
Talking about BF3. Even at higher frame rate, it doesn't make the game faster paced and more twitchy.
it still controls better at 60 fps.

amazing sales, anyway.

Holy shit.

And unlike a Sony press release, these copies have actually been sold to consumers.

Very, very impressive.

buying it next year :eek:

jett

D-Member
I really don't understand how the CoD phenomenon hasn't slowed down at all. It's so stupidly ahead of everything else in terms of sales it's flabbergasting.

Top Bottom