• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

Merguson

Banned
rezuth said:
That is defiantly not how Black looks on PS2, this is how it looks on Xbox. I highly doubt the PS2 version looks better.

2s192sp.jpg

When I played Black, it looked like that screen, not the one you provided.

Returners

rezuth said:
That is defiantly not how Black looks on PS2, this is how it looks on Xbox. I highly doubt the PS2 version looks better.

2s192sp.jpg

If I hadn't known better, I would've thought this was REFLEX on Wii.

Razien

Banned
dark10x said:
I disagree, this has been one of the best generations ever...for the 360 and PS3. The Wii is really no different from any other post-SNES Nintendo console. Same basic lineup and many of the same 3rd party problems.

I have to disagree. First, considering this one of the best generations ever is discussable. If you like shooting things, plastic look and several iterations of last gen gameplay with all the crippling design choices to make console games more accessible, then yes, it rocks. I'm not saying that it is bad, Hoolywood-like games (dumb, flashy, fast) with lots of competitive multiplayer are great sometimes, but it is being run to the fucking ground. The games that truly define a generation are few and far between (and sell badly most of times). If it wasn't for downloadable games, this would be easily the worst gen.

On Nintendo front, I have to disagree again. Rare by themselves did for the N64 more than all Nintendo did for themselves this gen on Wii (in matter of quality, variation and quantity of games), and the GC used to get many multiplatform titles (at least for the first half of its life; after that, it still had EA and Ubi ports and some Capcom games). The Wii is three years old - and the best selling console ever - and we still can't name one big third party title in West (MH3 will be the first, and then... Mickey, maybe?).

And I'd love to see some Black direct-feed screens or footage from the Xbox version.

Why do Wii games look like ps1 games? Isn't the system the equivalent to 2 gamecubes? or xbox 1.5? How comes nothing on it looks like Conker Reloaded, ninja gaiden, doom 3, or Halo 2?

Anticitizen One said:
Why do Wii games look like ps1 games? Isn't the system the equivalent to 2 gamecubes? or xbox 1.5? How comes nothing on it looks like Conker Reloaded, ninja gaiden, doom 3, or Halo 2?

Because most Wii games are made by C or D level teams with minimal budgets.

Also, Mario Galaxy and MP3 easily beat any of those games you listed.

Razien

Banned
Anticitizen One said:

Publishers are doing everything possible to have it fail (at this point, for people to stop playing it and start playing the other consoles), and Nintendo isn't giving a shit about spending money with... well, anything - they can clean their asses with money no matter how good-looking/content-packed/online-enabled their games are.

Haunted

Merguson said:
I was going to try and argue but it's pointless and goes on to show that screenshots are a piss-poor way to try and remember what Black looked like back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlDBOgbsnvQ

Now that's how I remember Black.

EDIT: Not to mention the degrade of quality in transition.
SD game looks better in motion than in screenshots, news at eleven.

We'll just wait for plagiarize to post some Reflex dolphin shots and that's that. ;)

So, when's the part where people remember that Black was an intensely structured scripted experience with brain dead AI?

As someone who bought and played CoD: WaW for Wii, I can tell you why MW looks "like a PSP game" on Wii. It's Modern Warfare for the PC downscaled. Every bit of Geometry in the HD versions is essentially replicated in the less powerful Wii version, almost nothing was removed. I would like to see any developer come up with highly detailed Black Like Texture work in SD with open environments and 60 FPS gameplay with all that Geometry in a Wii title, much less in such a short turnaround time. Hell, even the HD consoles couldn't do MW in full HD!

scitek

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, when's the part where people remember that Black was an intensely structured scripted experience with brain dead AI?

As someone who bought and played CoD: WaW for Wii, I can tell you why MW looks "like a PSP game" on Wii. It's Modern Warfare for the PC downscaled. Every bit of Geometry in the HD versions is essentially replicated in the less powerful Wii version, almost nothing was removed. I would like to see any developer come up with highly detailed Black Like Texture work in SD with open environments and 60 FPS gameplay with all that Geometry in a Wii title, much less in such a short turnaround time. Hell, even the HD consoles couldn't do MW in full HD!

Exactly.

Also, the PS2 and Xbox versions of BLACK looked identical, the only edge the Xbox version had was DD 5.1 sound and custom soundtracks. The PS2 was the lead platform.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
scitek said:
Exactly.

Also, the PS2 and Xbox versions of BLACK looked identical, the only edge the Xbox version had was DD 5.1 sound and custom soundtracks. The PS2 was the lead platform.
Yeah, people are forgetting this. Black on the PS2 does actually look very good still, for a last generation game. It even supports 480p and 16:9.

It was almost impossible to capture good screenshots from a PS2 game, however, and most sites didn't even try. It didn't look like those bullshots, of course, but it sure as hell looks nicer than that poorly captured pic would lead you to believe.

The Conduit is certainly a more impressive game, technically, but it kind of falls flat artistically.

Black and The Conduit are both painfully average shooters. It's just that, the standards were MUCH lower when Black was released. Shooters on consoles were pretty limited last generation. We've come a lot further than people seem to realize. In 2009, The Conduit looked and played pretty poorly while it would likely have had a more favorable reception in 2005.

If it wasn't for downloadable games, this would be easily the worst gen.
The only argument I can come up with is "it must be you". Perhaps your tastes have changed? I dunno what else I can say.

I still think you need to go back and find some PS2 and XBOX shooters for comparison. It becomes clear pretty fast that things have been upgraded much more than people seem to think. What you remember isn't necessarily the reality. We've made MASSIVE strides this gen.

Call of Duty 4 was just as bad in that regard. Totally scripted from start to finish and full of terrible AI. Honestly, I know it's popular, but it's one of the least interesting shooters this gen and also one of the best candidates for a Wii port due to its dated nature. Unlike many other shooters, it really didn't take great advantage of the technology of this day and age. It's the multiplayer that really caught peoples attention.

Relaxed Muscle said:
So is COD4.

And? The Wii's problem with CoD 4 isn't the AI, it's the graphic fidelity. Pointing out that the AI in CoD 4 is brain dead in a non starter because the entire issue with the Wii version is how it looks, not how it plays. All i'm pointing out is that comparisons between a downscaled HD game and a 5 year old SD game designed with the PS2 in mind are stupid as hell. The Wii would have no problem with Black, and Treyarch would have no problem porting it if that was the source material. Comparing that game to a port of MW designed for HD consoles/PC is as apples and oranges as you can get.

Vagabundo

I vote we wait until we have actual ingame footage or screenshots not from an alpha build before we start slating the game.

In fact, the only useful thing in this thread is the leaked dev info, which is interesting and informative.

I do know that GAF loves its LOLz though, so carry on I suppose.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
dark10x said:
Black and The Conduit are both painfully average shooters. It's just that, the standards were MUCH lower when Black was released. Shooters on consoles were pretty limited last generation. We've come a lot further than people seem to realize. In 2009, The Conduit looked and played pretty poorly while it would likely have had a more favorable reception in 2005.
Counter Strike is arguably still the best shooter out there. Its MP can (and does) stand next to the best FPS's out there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
poppabk said:
Counter Strike is arguably still the best shooter out there. Its MP can (and does) stand next to the best FPS's out there.
Eh, it all depends on your criteria for "best".

Comparing that game to a port of MW designed for HD consoles/PC is as apples and oranges as you can get.
I kind of agree, but at the same time, Modern Warfare was a fairly simplistic looking console game in 2007 even. It always "felt" old to me. You can almost feel those Quake 3 roots shining through.

dark10x said:
I kind of agree, but at the same time, Modern Warfare was a fairly simplistic looking console game in 2007 even. It always "felt" old to me. You can almost feel those Quake 3 roots shining through.

So tell me dark, do you think the PS2 is capable of pulling off CoD4 to make it look even close to approximating Black?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
dark10x said:
Eh, it all depends on your criteria for "best".
But if the FPS genre has really moved forward in the way you think then there wouldn't really be any criteria that would allow CS to be considered current.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
DeaconKnowledge said:
The Wii would have no problem with Black.
Given that there's no Gamecube version of Black for reference, that's not a safe assumption.

whitehawk

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Not sure how posting upscaled pics from a PC emulator does your point any good...
Either way, just saying that the Wii can easily do better than Reflex. Look at the textures for example, still look sharp when blown up. Reflex still looks muddy at 480p.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
whitehawk said:
Either way, just saying that the Wii can easily do better than Reflex. Look at the textures for example, still look sharp when blown up. Reflex still looks muddy at 480p.
Higher screen res actually makes textures look sharper if they're not near the camera. Just play N64 games with decent draw distance in emu to see that phenomenon. Both grass textures near camera look really blurry in that Galaxy shot.
And you're just begging people to post HD/AA'd bullshots of Xbox1 games.

whitehawk said:
Either way, just saying that the PC can easily do better than Reflex. Look at the textures for example, still look sharp when blown up. Reflex still looks muddy at 480p.

Let's be accurate shall we?

If I play SMG on my Wii right now, on a HDTV using a component cable, it will not look like that screen you posted.

whitehawk said:

Of course it can, but I don't think posting those pics helps that point.

VAIL

Amir0x said:
it's amazing to me that there are gamers who still... STILL... don't grasp the limitations of the Wii's visual capabilities

And I can't believe there are people that still think it's only capable of putting out Dreamcast level visuals...

donny2112 said:
Official thread (with no screens or videos) in a week?

Would be hilarious if that was the case :lol

I don't think I've seen a more shambolic handling of a game pre-release for quite some while. Even if the game remained the same, and the presentation remained the same, and everything else we know about the title remained the same, they could still have made the title look a lot better than they have.

High Voltage managed to generate some interest by presenting their title as a solid experience for shooters on the platform, touting the control options and talking to the press about the game, even before Sega got involved. Why can't Activision manage the same? Instead, everything we've had from them smacks of them being ashamed of the project and just keen to hurry it onto shelves and forget about it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
whitehawk said:
Ahem..
deadspace.jpeg
galaxy.jpeg
How do an on-rails experience and a single player platformer have any bearing on what a multiplayer shooter is capable of on the Wii?

JB1981

DeaconKnowledge said:

Hopefully you were being ironic with this post.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
dark10x said:
The only argument I can come up with is "it must be you". Perhaps your tastes have changed? I dunno what else I can say.

I still think you need to go back and find some PS2 and XBOX shooters for comparison. It becomes clear pretty fast that things have been upgraded much more than people seem to think. What you remember isn't necessarily the reality. We've made MASSIVE strides this gen.
says the man who can never seem to get a decent pointer response on his Wii. I have a question, do you have any potential intention to buy this game? if so, i have no issue with your concerns about the game: they're similar to mine. i just happen to be an optimist. but i suspect you don't have any plans to buy it, to which i will say good day sir, you have no place in this thread, nor any future thread unless you have a change of heart.

donny2112 said:
Official thread (with no screens or videos) in a week?
i'll be on it, and we'll have screens all right, they'll just be the loltacular screens on the first page. HOWEVER, i'll have some pretty significant footage after i get the chance.

MiniDitka

doomed1 said:
i'll be on it, and we'll have screens all right, they'll just be the loltacular screens on the first page. HOWEVER, i'll have some pretty significant footage after i get the chance.
Same here, I'll be posting gameplay vids on release day.

Man people are posting some bullshots in this thread.

The Black PS2 one, the Wii Mario Galaxy and Dead Space ones.

While MW looks pretty bad on Wii, it's not exactly fair to post the worst screens imaginable, and then post bullshots of everything else.

PS2 Black included. The Xbox version was quite a bit better anyway.

MiniDitka

Cow Mengde said:
Dude, where are my Jurassic Hunted vid? I was hyping myself up to see some hilariously bad Wii graphics.
The game doesn't come out until next week. I'll have vids up probably on Wednesday which I'm pretty sure is the release day.

MiniDitka said:
The game doesn't come out until next week. I'll have vids up probably on Wednesday which I'm pretty sure is the release day.

Oh, it's coming next Wednesday? I thought you meant today. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait a week to see this disaster.

EDarkness

doomed1 said:
What are you talking about? There's plenty of information.

the only thing we're really missing is current screens and the video, which admittedly, is the real kicker.

I've seen the developer videos and such, but they really don't tell us much. I always take this kind of stuff with a grain of salt because as long as they're not letting people play it, it's all just marketing speak. They refuse to let people play it, and that's a bad sign.

I disagree, this has been one of the best generations ever...for the 360 and PS3. The Wii is really no different from any other post-SNES Nintendo console. Same basic lineup and many of the same 3rd party problems.

My opinion is that this generation has been a serious downer. Every generation I end up buying two systems and a crapton of games. This generation, I have two systems, but few games. I don't deny that games have gotten prettier, but I haven't been too impressed with paid DLC, buggy games that require patches, short games, etc. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a few games this generation (Batman, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc.), but overall, it's just not that interesting to me.

The Wii should be getting better games, but it's not. The 360 should be getting more variety, but man, how many of it's games are shooters. The PS2 was awesome last gen because it covered pretty much all bases. I had an X-box and a Gamecube that I would rotate between, but the PS2 simply had more variety. Anyway, these publishers are making crap on the Wii, then blaming the userbase. I just read something a few minutes ago where they say the "mature audience" is small on the Wii because Extraction didn't sell. Somehow, I doubt that's the case and it always comes down to blaming the Wii for failures. EA should have known that a rail shooter wasn't a popular idea. Ugh.

I'm still holding out that this game will turn out okay and if so, they will get my money, but right now they're not doing much to improve confidence in the final product and I bet they'll blame the Wii audience again for it's failure.

donny2112

doomed1 said:

Does it have to have these screens? We've already seen the results of one thread with them. :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Surgeon Rocket said:
This thread gets bumped and i keep thinking maybe there's video or new screens.

I am not satisfied.
yeah, best not to expect anything in terms of media until after launch at this point, and even then the majority of it is going to be from the community (i.e. me and Mini Ditka).

kinda wondering if anyone would be interested in me giving weapon reviews and videos in as humorous a fashion as i can imagine.

also, some good open source video editing software would be great if anyone knows of some...

Top Bottom