• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII - Multiplayer Trailer

VariantX

They took the DICE MP reveal approach and went full on cinematic but somehow didn't manage to capture how DICE does it.

DICE also starts out by telling you its a MP mode upfront too. That aside, it feels like this type of trailer would have been fine after they showed the MP game raw. Looks like they're obscuring the moment to moment gameplay with cinematics

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I'm actually really put off by that trailer...

That took glorifying and fetishizing war to a new level that I didn't enjoy :/

I actually agree with this but can't put my finger on what it was about it that makes me feel that way.

maybe it's just jarring to see an actual historical war, that we know a lot about, and carries that much baggage, portrayed with such realistic fidelity in such an arcadey manner.

It's a multiplayer mode in a WWII game, so i'm not particularly sure what you were expecting from it.

Obviously shooting other soldiers and regular business like that. But there were some moments, like the hatchet to the back of the neck, that breaks my suspension of belief and makes me think that that didn't need to be in the game for it to be a good WWII game

So like

Is this your first FPS?

Wow, you got me. You are one sharp cookie :V

I actually agree with this but can't put my finger on what it was about it that makes me feel that way.

maybe it's just jarring to see an actual historical war, that we know a lot about, and carries that much baggage, portrayed with such realistic fidelity in such an arcadey manner.

Yeah, we're sort of on the same page here. The game feels like it's straddling to be some serious representation of WWII and arcadey "get your fps fix real good" kind of game, that I'm not sure is working.

Randam

No swastikas? Nazis didn't really happen in Sledgehammer's world apparently, it was Germany against the world, apparently.

If they pussy out, I'm cancelling my pre-order. Be realistic and don't white wash. Hope I will be proven wrong.

you really get that feeling.

the Iron Cross wasn't even used that way and not that much buy the Nazis in generell. It was a military decoration.

It was only used as the symbol of the German Army from 1871 to March/April 1918, when it was replaced by the Balkenkreuz.

And before people start raising their pitchforks, theres no swastikas in the trailer most likely so they could release the trailer worldwide including germany where it has to be censored.

there are 10 versions of the trailer on the COD youtube channel.they are all the same. just different languages.

reigN_

Neo Member
Trailer was fine but I think the game itself seems like it will be pretty compelling for the first time in a while.

Still looked like it was pretty action packed, but hopefully the WWII guns and lack of crazy movement etc. bring the game to a more methodical pace (relatively speaking- I know it's not going to go back to CoD 1/2 levels but still).

wait a minute

they had planes and tanks

OMG
i may be playing another CoD! its been 100 years!

Yep, Sledgehammer confirmed vehicles on Youtube Live with Geoff Keighley. It seems to be only for the War MP Mode. Planes appear to be a Score Streak and Tanks are supposed to be some sort of objective.

mazillion

Wow, I can't believe that was multiplayer. That changes everything. They were flying planes and there were tanks blowing stuff up

If anyone's curious. Here's what I saw in the trailer

Weapons
MG-42
M1 Garand w/ Bayonet
Grease Gun w/ Suppressor
STG-44 w/ bayonet
MP40
M1897 Trench Gun
Flamethrower
M1911 w/ Dual Wield
M1918 BAR
Bolt action rifle (Springfield?)

Equipment
Flamethrower
Flash Grenades
Trench Shovel

Other Observations
Gibbing
Bayonet Charge
Dolphin Dive
Planes look to be controlled for strafing and guiding bombs as they fall
Tanks w/ Browning .50 cal machinegunner (Objective in War Mode)

And there was a Paris Gun or some other massive railway gun which I expect won't do anything but still cool to see nonetheless

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Looked like gibbing only occurred with explosives, rather than explosives, shotguns, and LMGs like in World at War.

J.EM1

One thing I love about Sledgehammer Games is there sound design. So good. Now if I can just get myself to buy yet another COD. lol

With MP trailers, I believe it should be a point to actually make them look like an MP trailer. They could have just added the UI, or at least a very minimal UI to convey the fact that it's MP.

Oh well, I'll remain cautiously optimistic about the MP. I haven't enjoyed a CoD game since Black Ops 1, so hopefully this changes that.

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
Seems like some of the maps will be big. MW2/COD4 was the last time i remember getting into consistent long distance sniping battles with other snipers on the other team. God the maps have been terrible since most of IW left to Respawn. Everything has been so CQC heavy and narrow.

IRLsyrS.jpg

Dat openness.

Hip Hop

No swastikas? Nazis didn't really happen in Sledgehammer's world apparently, it was Germany against the world, apparently.

If they pussy out, I'm cancelling my pre-order. Be realistic and don't white wash. Hope I will be proven wrong.
White wash?
Why would that be it?

I feel like it's the opposite now in days, where people would "protest" because it has swastikas in it as they would find it offensive.

Anyway, we don't know if they are removed or not. Or the reasons as to why if they did.

So you had these same issues with World at War and Battlefield 1, right?

You see how that looks?

I did skip WoW, and BF1 was interesting for going for WWI, but still came off as kind of silly.

It's all for fun, at the end of the day, but I was hoping that COD would sort of reinvent itself with this foray back into WWII.

For those who look forward to getting this, hope that you find it fun!

Bishop89

Seems like some of the maps will be big. MW2/COD4 was the last time i remember getting into consistent long distance sniping battles with other snipers on the other team. God the maps have been terrible since most of IW left to Respawn. Everything has been so CQC heavy and narrow.

IRLsyrS.jpg

Dat openness.

Top left corner, that will be my sniping perch! :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had no idea this was multiplayer.

Visuals look great. Hope we can keep the motion blur on all the time in gameplay.

sleepnaught

Can't believe all the negative comments, I thought it looked incredible and I'm usually always putting CoD down. This puts BF1 to shame tbh

Creaking

One thing I love about Sledgehammer Games is there sound design. So good. Now if I can just get myself to buy yet another COD. lol

I think they've got nice echo effects, but some of the weapons in Advanced Warfare sounded godawful. That Atlas 45, yegh. Then they brought in some DLC weapons that had the exact same firing sounds as prexisting guns. Like the M1911 they added sounded exactly like the Atlas.

I had no idea this was multiplayer.

Visuals look great. Hope we can keep the motion blur on all the time in gameplay.

IW has motion blur in MP (can be turned off), so I wouldn't be surprised.

Wait this was multiplayer? I swear to god I thought it was single player on the conference O_O
Then again I wasn't paying to much attention.

Coolluck

I want to see a normal match play out. This mode has my attention but it feels so unlike Call of Duty that I don't want to get my hopes up. The trailer seemed like such a roller coaster progression it was like an Operations match if the defenders weren't sure the game had started yet. It's easy to see why we thought it was single player during the conference.

Van Bur3n

Didn't even know it was multiplayer footage. Looked cool though, regardless. Would like to see how it actually plays for COD multiplayer.

Haven't bought a COD game in years. Perhaps this will be a first in a while. Perhaps not.

J.EM1

I think they've got nice echo effects, but some of the weapons in Advanced Warfare sounded godawful. That Atlas 45, yegh. Then they brought in some DLC weapons that had the exact same firing sounds as prexisting guns. Like the M1911 they added sounded exactly like the Atlas.
Yeah, I can agree with that. The 45 sounded weak. But I did enjoy the SP campaign sound effects; the environment, exo suits, mechs.. sounded great.

There are already tons of shitheads that use Nazi emblems in avatars/custom icons. I have no problem with them not fueling those idiots and creating a generation of kids where Nazis are glorified with "rewards" like nazi calling cards, emblems and outfits, even being able to fight as them chanting for Hitler and shit. No thanks. We can "remember history" with the fucking history books. This is a video game, not a documentary.

Randam

There are already tons of shitheads that use Nazi emblems in avatars/custom icons. I have no problem with them not fueling those idiots and creating a generation of kids where Nazis are glorified with "rewards" like nazi calling cards, emblems and outfits, even being able to fight as them chanting for Hitler and shit. No thanks. We can "remember history" with the fucking history books. This is a video game, not a documentary.
There is still a little difference between the Wehrmacht and Nazis.
And what about Russians fighting for the motherland or the Japanese for the emperor.

This almost makes it feel like there never were Nazis or Hitler and Germany still started World War 2.

Graphically looks better than Battlefield to my eyes other than animations. Looks a bit battlefieldish in scope as well. I wonder if there will be any destruction.

And did I see parachutes being used as a respawn mechanic? That would be neat and quite immersive.

Is this going to be shown off anymore at E3 or is that it?

Edited for sleepy sentence syntax...

This looks like someone at activision went into sludghammer and screamed hurry up make me a ww2 call of duty before EA makes battlefield 2 set in ww2.

Stiler

Looks a bit over the top.

I hope there's some maps that are more like Call of Duty 2, with wide open areas/fields and not urban areas.

I also hope that you can reload the m1 Garand without having to fire the entire clip, like if you fire a few rounds, then you just top it off with some spare bullets.

WillyFive

The visuals put BF1 to shame?

I...don't think so.

Yeah.

There are some scenes that reminded me of BF1, but only due to subject matter and art style; there are still times in the trailer where everything still looks like plastic, despite the hard work Sledgehammer has done to make it seem like an epic battle.

I love that this is basically World At War on steroids but that bayonette bit was a shameless steal from Battlefield. Same with that shovel kill. People in the PSE3 theater showing I was at audibly groaned when those two happened.

That being said, as one of the few remaining Call of Duty fans on GAF that purchases and (mostly) enjoys every entry and as one of the even rarer people who loved Advanced Warfare to pieces, I cannot wait to jump into this. Going to be a major time-sink for the next few years unless Treyarch backs away from the future stuff too.

Creaking

I can't torture myself to play any more CoD games since online has been taken over by pre-teens...

YuATMq0.jpg

Honestly, I've not had much of a problem with pre-teens in Infinite Warfare (maybe because their favorite youtubers shat on it early on). The ones you have to avoid are the 20-30 somethings that spout out f*ggot and the n-word at every inconvenience.

I just don't understand why we have to shoot the nazis, why can't we just sit and listen to them, hear their side. I'm just an egalitarian ffs....

/s also, i'm excited for a COD, its been a while.

Top Bottom