• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian children consume 5x more than daily recommended sugar intake

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The Globe and Mail

Last week, I gave my kids each a can of Coke and two sugar cubes for breakfast. I've been serving this to them regularly, although in my defence I didn't know it.

The meal I've been putting on the kitchen table looks like a tableau straight out of a breakfast commercial: Nutella on toast, a bowl of Frosted Flakes, a glass of orange juice. But the combined amount of sugar is a revolting, parental-guilt-inducing 47 grams, the same amount you'd get from washing down a pair of sugar cubes with a Coke.

Of course, you might say, a sugary cereal and chocolate smeared on bread, what was I thinking? But the juice was the worst offender, by a wide margin – and it was 100-per-cent O.J., not from concentrate.

You may have thought, given the marketing, that juice is an "all-natural" part of a healthy breakfast, that it is just as good as, or not much worse than, actual fruit. You would be wrong. Last month, the American Academy of Pediatrics released new guidelines that all but ordered parents to swat juice boxes out of their kids' hands, stat.

According to data from the most recent Canadian Community Health Survey, kids consume 33 teaspoons of sugar a day, far above the World Health Organization's recommendation that sugars ideally make up 5 per cent but no more than 10 per cent of a person's daily calories.

More at the link, but basically - while juice is one of the worst culprits, because of the seemingly harmless nature of it, sugar is packed into everything. Try not to give your kids too much.

Azuran

Banned
Nutella, Frosted Flakes, and orange juice? Damn kids are dining like kings these days.

My mom only gave me crappy knockoff brands and water for breakfast.

I try to be extremely mindful of this. My 3-year-old is supercharged by default, but on copious amounts of sugar she turns into a demon. Milk and water is all she drinks and I'm constantly checking nutrition labels for sugar content.

MikeRahl

Nutella is basically frosting so...yeah.

Nutella has more sugar than most brands of frosting.

My sister-in-law lived with us for a while and always ate it. I casually mentioned it would probably be healthier if she just used frosting and she didn't believe me.

Next time we were at the store we looked and lo-and-behold I was right.

Ryuukan

juice with sugarbomb cereal and junk food smeared on white bread?

how can anyone think this is healthy, especially for kids

thefil

I drank so much juice and ate so many Frosted Flakes growing up (Ontario). Doesn't surprise me at all. Hope I live past 60.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The juice thing is hilarious. Juice an orange and see how much juice you get from it. Now look at how much juice is in the glass that you pour from a bottle of orange juice. Now realize that you're getting that many oranges worth of sugar, and essentially none of the fibre which is how your body slows the absorption of sugar.

trembli0s

I don't often drink juice but almost always cut it with water when I do. Unless I'm in Mexico or another LatAm country because give me ALL the damn juice in those cases.

Shit, when I was growing up I got scrambled eggs and wheat toast with milk for breakfast most days. A breakfast like that would have made my teeth explode.

The juice thing is hilarious. Juice an orange and see how much juice you get from it. Now look at how much juice is in the glass that you pour from a bottle of orange juice. Now realize that you're getting that many oranges worth of sugar, and essentially none of the fibre which is how your body slows the absorption of sugar.
The juice to whole orange ratio blew my mind as a kid.

When I was a kid I just had toast (usually peanut butter) and milk the majority of the time. The odd occasion I would have cereal, but it was usually plain Cheerios.

Steejee

That's a pretty lousy breakfast.

I do enjoy OJ, but I have like 4oz twice a week with my weekend breakfast, so I'm not exactly quaffing the stuff. Mostly just lazy about buying oranges.

I try to be extremely mindful of this. My 3-year-old is supercharged by default, but on copious amounts of sugar she turns into a demon. Milk and water is all she drinks and I'm constantly checking nutrition labels for sugar content.

you should really research why milk is bad for you as well [and then you'll hopefully stop feeding it to your kid].

still shocked at how many north americans drink milk thinking it's "good for you" [ed: hint, it's not].

but yeah, we were barely allowed juice as kids, and drank milk mostly.

then as my dad's medical journals slowly wised up to the dangers of both we switch to water... and then wine [as we all grew up].

forgive doctors, they don't learn much about nutrition at school.

so many of my friends ate like the example in the OP though, used to blow my mind when i'd sleep over at a friend's house and we'd just be eating frozen food and drinking cans of soda all night - then wake up to four rounds of sugar delight for breakfast.

i pretty much ate toast with butter, or oatmeal, or eggs on toast, or sometimes buttermilk pancakes on sundays [which my family DID eat with maple syrup, but i hated the sweet stickyness of it so i always just used butter - until i discovered the glory of yogurt and fruit].

daviyoung

Banned
Nutella has more sugar than most brands of frosting.

My sister-in-law lived with us for a while and always ate it. I casually mentioned it would probably be healthier if she just used frosting and she didn't believe me.

Next time we were at the store we looked and lo-and-behold I was right.

Just because something has less sugar does not make it healthier.

I like Nutella, but in super small doses on waffles because it takes me a ton of syrup to be satisfied with a waffle as opposed to Nutella, which I only have to put on a little.

My nephews are used to eating full Nutella and jelly sandwiches, which just appall me. It also doesn't help that when I do eat PB&J sandwiches, I only make half a sandwich. (One of my nephews is also allergic to PB so unfortunately this is treated as the "alternative")

I don't know why parents think it's a fine idea to feed their children like shit. Growing up I'd always hear "oh they are growing young children, it's fiiiineee" and it honestly wasn't until semi recently when I thought about how BS that is. People think just because their metabolisms are generally faster that it's fine if they eat extremely unhealthy, like there's no more to food health than calories. I and many of my friends were raised the same kind of way . Not just with sweets, but all the other shit I remember eating regularly I now know were just garbage. Not even talking fast food, but store bought things that I would eat a ton of because I thought they were healthy since it wasn't fast food.

I'm eating a lot better now but still pretty garbage. Looking back at how I ate when I was younger is just terrible. I seriously consider myself addicted to sugar at this point and I hate it. And one would never know since I've never been fat thanks to genes and consistent athleticism.

you should really research why milk is bad for you as well [and then you'll hopefully stop feeding it to your kid].

still shocked at how many north americans drink milk thinking it's "good for you" [ed: hint, it's not].

then as my dad's medical journals slowly wised up to the dangers of both we switch to water... and then wine [as we all grew up].

so many of my friends ate like the example in the OP though, used to blow my mind when i'd sleep over at a friend's house and we'd just be eating frozen food and drinking cans of soda all night - then wake up to four rounds of sugar delight for breakfast.

i pretty much ate toast with butter, or oatmeal, or eggs on toast, or sometimes buttermilk pancakes on sundays [which my family DID eat with maple syrup, but i hated the sweet stickyness of it so i always just used butter - until i discovered the glory of yogurt and fruit].

Ignore this post and drink whole milk daily. It's nutritious and it makes you feel full.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

If milk & juice are bad for you, what am I gonna drink with my breakfast? Water? Pfft, no way!

Of course, you might say, a sugary cereal and chocolate smeared on bread, what was I thinking?

Uh, yes, I do say that. But go on with your defense...

But the juice was the worst offender, by a wide margin – and it was 100-per-cent O.J., not from concentrate.

That's not a defense. So back to my original question: what the fuck were you thinking?

Maybe try regular Cheerios, a glass of milk and low-fat peanut butter on toast? Ya dummy.

ShyMel

Yes, if you've never looked into the sugar content of juices before, be prepared for a shock. Especially cranberry juice, which often has lots of added sugar in it to mask the normal flavor.

Steejee

I like Nutella, but in super small doses on waffles because it takes me a ton of syrup to be satisfied with a waffle as opposed to Nutella, which I only have to put on a little.

My nephews are used to eating full Nutella and jelly sandwiches, which just appall me. It also doesn't help that when I do eat PB&J sandwiches, I only make half a sandwich. (One of my nephews is also allergic to PB so unfortunately this is treated as the "alternative")

I don't know why parents think it's a fine idea to feed their children like shit. Growing up I'd always hear "oh they are growing young children, it's fiiiineee" and it honestly wasn't until semi recently when I thought about how BS that is. People think just because their metabolisms are generally faster that it's fine if they eat extremely unhealthy, like there's no more to food health than calories. I and many of my friends were raised the same kind of way . Not just with sweets, but all the other shit I remember eating regularly I now know were just garbage. Not even talking fast food, but store bought things that I would eat a ton of because I thought they were healthy since it wasn't fast food.

I'm eating a lot better now but still pretty garbage. Looking back at how I ate when I was younger is just terrible. I seriously consider myself addicted to sugar at this point and I hate it. And one would never know since I've never been fat thanks to genes and consistent athleticism.

We're pretty fortunate that in my family my parents raised us with almost no sugary anything available. Soda was rare (like once-in-three-months rare), most of our cereal was like whole wheat type stuff, treats were once every two weeks. As a result, even today none of us really consume all that much sugar - it's just too sweet. I don't eat cake at all on my own volition, and when I will only eat it I just eat the 'cake' part and leave a skeleton behind of the frosting. I had like one bite of my wedding cake.

My sugar vices are limited to maple syrup, ice cream, oj, and mexican coke, all in low quantities - none daily, oj the most at about 8oz/week. Even my dressing is just straight up balsamic vinegar or a vinegrette.

All that from just our parents keeping us off the sugar when we were young.

The meal I've been putting on the kitchen table looks like a tableau straight out of a breakfast commercial: Nutella on toast, a bowl of Frosted Flakes, a glass of orange juice.

This is crazy. I'm generally just terrible about what I eat (in the war between the wants and shoulds the wants often win), but that's just such an obviously awful breakfast. Low on fibre, fat and protein. High in sugar.

Probably skim too.

Linkup

There are hazelnut spreads with 1/8 the sugar compared to Nutella and taste better so switch to that if available.

Top Bottom