• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian children consume 5x more than daily recommended sugar intake

Here in Canada, Pepsi has like 41g of sugar in a can. InSANE.

My mom buys these "healthy juices" that has more sugar that Coke. InSANE.

Straight up, Health Canada needs to start putting percentage to this shit. Public not knowing that 25g is the max one should consume daily is the problem here.

We are all about CALORIE, CALORIE, FAT, CALORIE that we forget the other serial killer in the food chain.

dcdobson

I'm American and had SO much juice (and a whole host of other unhealthy food and drink) as a kid. It's a good thing my siblings and I were so active, as the consequences could have been disastrous otherwise. I know my children will have a much healthier diet than I had.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
The juice thing I could understand. But Nutella and Frosted Flakes for breakfast?

We rarely had sugary cereals when I was growing up.

shandy706

My kids don't tend to want breakfast.

Maybe some milk, and my oldest (9) will eat pancakes sometimes.

Been trying to get fruit/veggies in them, but their mom ruined them of that young. I do sugar free jello's, low sugar/fat milks, real veggie chips, and real fruit with them now if I can get it in them.

I've also gone to giving them vitamin supplements (sugar free expensive ones) with what little they eat.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
A thing to remember is that Canada, especially places like Toronto, is filled with recent immigrants from developing countries, having children here or bringing them over very young.

I came to Canada when I was 3, and my mom, when she couldn't make me traditional African breakfast foods (fool for lyfe), would just throw together juices and pop tarts and cereals because that's just what she saw everywhere. Mind you this was 1989, but I think a lot of those same challenges are there.

ced

Just imagine our American children.

My kids get no sugar added juice (it's still loaded with sugar from fruit) that's cut at least 50% with water, not too much a day.

It's so difficult to get kids to eat good when they are constantly exposed to all the awful stuff. I'd be in full support of some government regulation of manufactured foods.

The convenience of the stuff in combo with the commercials and the mad addictive taste makes this unsurprising. The thing is, toast and water and maybe a fruit is pretty easy too. Or like cherios. Breakfast is honestly not hard so that's where I see zero excuse.

Sakura

I can understand being surprised by the sugar content in juice, but come on, as if the cereal isn't enough you're giving them Nutella as well for breakfast? Sounds more like just too lazy to prepare a decent breakfast.

you should really research why milk is bad for you as well [and then you'll hopefully stop feeding it to your kid].

still shocked at how many north americans drink milk thinking it's "good for you" [ed: hint, it's not].

People still buy the "milk is bad for you" nonsense?

8byte

Banned
So five times more than zero is still zero. There is no recommended amount of sugar.

Sugar is poison.

Acinixys

Why are kids not taught about proper nutrition in school?

Should be a class after to how to drive and before to budget/save for retirement

Alexlf

So five times more than zero?

Sugar is poison.

Sugar exists in most 'natural' foods, it's quite fine. HFCS in absolutely everything and no sense of moderation is the actual problem. Eating sugar is A-OK, just limit how much you eat as you should with everything else.

Zaru

I spent a good decade drinking loads (liters) of apple and orange juice thinking "wow, I'm so healthy, not drinking any soda!"... boy am I glad I realized what I was doing.
Now I drink mostly water while fruit juice gets highly diluted in 2:1 or higher ratios.

My immense sugary cereal intake was also replaced by mostly oats, seeds and bits of dried fruit.

Wouldn't want to go back.

Elitist1945

As a Canadian, I'd believe it. I see so many kids walking around with energy drinks, Mtn Dew and shit (I totally did when I was a kid though lol).

Vhalyar

At some point you have to look at your child eating Frosted Flakes and Nutella and think that it may not be the best thing for them.

That's true, but it's not entirely intuitive. Here's some problems I imagine people run into:

1. Product A has xxx kcal, product B has xxx + 100 kcal. Product A is healthier! Well maybe not, because you need to know what are your normal needs to compare against product a's nutrition and...

2. It's too easy to underestimate how much you consume. Nutella is bad! But I only eat a bit (but it turns out a bit is really 200g of the damn thing).

I'll plug it here too: Salt Sugar Fat is an excellent read on the science behind food.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Last week, I gave my kids each a can of Coke and two sugar cubes for breakfast. I've been serving this to them regularly, although in my defence I didn't know it.

The meal I've been putting on the kitchen table looks like a tableau straight out of a breakfast commercial: Nutella on toast, a bowl of Frosted Flakes, a glass of orange juice.

How the hell can you NOT know that? Rhetorical question. I know how.

Juice used to be the easiest way to get vitamins into kids. But since everything is fortified with vitamins it's basically sugar water now. People to this day laugh at me when I tell them drinking a non-diet glass of soda is better for you than drinking the same quantity in juice.

Also, wtf Canada, how dare you out-America America.

Vhalyar

How the hell can you NOT know that? Rhetorical question. I know how.

Marketing. Why question what all medias have declared is a normal breakfast. But if you're feeling this is a bit much, make this into a skinny breakfast by replacing the whole milk with skim!

Alavard

Might wanna quit the milk hoss. It's not much better.

1 cup of 2% milk has 12g of carbohydrates
1 cup of apple juice has 28g of carbohydrates
1 cup of orange juice has 27g of carbohydrates

Milk is not sugarless, but it is less than half as sugary as standard fruit juices.

1 cup of 2% milk has 12g of carbohydrates
1 cup of apple juice has 28g of carbohydrates
1 cup of orange juice has 27g of carbohydrates

Milk is not sugarless, but it is less than half as sugary as standard fruit juices.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, but...

Got-Milk.gif

Prax

I still dunk a ton of honey in tea so not much better. Despite switching over mainly to diet soda lol.

So many diabetes in the future. I'll have to be mindful when I have kids of these things and try to change over my eating habits even sooner.

Also to the above: Canada doesn't have the same cow growth hormone problems. Thus our milk being way more expensive too. lol

Alexlf

Might wanna quit the milk hoss. It's not much better.

1% milk has much less calories than pop or juice, and a majority of the calories come from fat and protein. Milk is very good for you.

EDIT:

lol, that near propaganda. So their closest-to-credible arguments are that a large glass has the same fat of a serving of fries (so what?) and theres a SLIGHT increase of a chance of having diabetes/cancer (aka the same as consuming essentially anything). And the biggest 'argument' is "Oh noes its not natural!!!!" (One of my fav fallacies btw)

Fuchsdh

Nutella, Frosted Flakes, and orange juice? Damn kids are dining like kings these days.

My mom only gave me crappy knockoff brands and water for breakfast.

I didn't realize there were actual people who fed kids those massive breakfasts they always showed in cereal commercials. I barely get down a bowl of it and maybe some fruit in the morning.

Also, I feel like I have to point out because people always go to DIABEETUS with threads like these, but eating too much sugar doesn't cause diabetes.

I try my best to give my daughters non-sugar infused cereals and only organic / watered-down juice but yea its impossible to keep the sugar out of everything

Ryuukan

I still dunk a ton of honey in tea so not much better. Despite switching over mainly to diet soda lol.

So many diabetes in the future. I'll have to be mindful when I have kids of these things and try to change over my eating habits even sooner.

Also to the above: Canada doesn't have the same cow growth hormone problems. Thus our milk being way more expensive too. lol

rBST milk has been off of supermarket shelves in the US for almost a decade

your milk is more expensive because only a few companies control dairy supply in Canada and they can basically charge what they want with the government's permission

P.S. please vaccinate your future kids too

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is grievously bad.

Facts that are literally not relevant at all:
- The US drinks more milk than China
- Some people are allergic to milk
- Cows produce milk

Facts that are true but you can avoid by buying the right kind of milk:
- Some brands of milk have growth hormones
- Milk has FAT in it (also fat isn't bad)

Facts that I don't even think are true:
- Milk has more calories than soda

Okay, so the substance of the claims:
- In a study of 20 countries, countries with higher rates of milk consumption have more diabetes. Okay, but a study of 20 countries a) is underpowered; b) is just going to lead to the pattern that anything rich countries for more often is associated with higher diabetes; Christianity and "not being so poor you starve to death" are both associated with higher rates of diabetes.

- Some bizarre study claims that an extra glass of milk a day is associated with 13% more ovarian cancer among women, but this is on its face not true.

The main citation is a website for high school debators to get pros and cons for things. I have no idea if milk is good or bad for you and I don't know anything about nutrition, but I do know something about science reporting and this is nuts.

Rbk_3

How about as an alternative to that you have 1 serving of oatmeal with 1tsp of sugar, a peanut butter sandwich and some water or small glass of milk.

I'm Canadian an this doesn't surprise me. I'm an unhealthy sugar-loaded son of a bitch.

My only saving grace is that I starve myself through procrastination >_>

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Canadian here. I totally believe it. The only thing I drink as of about two weeks ago is water now, cut orange juice out completely.

My roommate goes through a 12-pack of diet coke a week, although they're getting better at it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
One medium sized banana has like 14g of sugar, so that alone pushes you over the recommended daily intake. A big one gives you twice the recommended daily intake.

The recommended daily intake is probably bullshit. What probably actually matters is how it's consumed, and what else you eat. There was research that clearly indicated that sugary liquids were absorbed much differently, and passed through barriers that caused increased likelihood of getting diabetes.

Top Bottom