• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

Who would've thought that a mere Wii version of DR would create such a hoopla? This is like the 4th or 5th thread about it :lol .

gregor7777 said:
Good lord...we've officially reached a point where non-technical game media shouldn't be asking questions over their head. They don't realize it unfortunately.

Makes for good lols though.
Uh, dude it's a random post from the Capcom forum. lols

Zihark

Pachinko said:
It's a borked simplified game for a borked simplified audience. Seriously does anyone ONLY own a wii? I don't think there's a gamer that would admit to it.
uh yeah I'm a wii only gamer, and considering the wii is the market leader worldwide-there are lots more of us Now lemme blow your mind-do you know how many ds-only gamers there are-here's a hint way more then the wii and more then the other consoles. And the ds can only do 64 graphics-the horror!!!

onipex

basik said:
wii is the only next-gen system I own... I'm an ex-pc hardcore fps player and I got tired of upgrading my computer. I always thought mouse+keyboard was superior to traditional console controls in any game that involved 1st/3rd person weapon aiming until wii+nunchuck came along. I love wii controls and am looking forward to playing this on wii. when I look at vids of some traditional controls now it's like watching a keyboard only player play quake before everybody started using mouses... it looks way too stiff for me...it looks old and outdated to me I dont care about graphics.

Pretty much what I was about to say.

I don't see why people have a problem with this game being on Wii. It's not a port,wont hurt sales of the 360 game since you know it's been out for a while and Wii owners seem to like zombie games. I don't expect this game to get much marketing since no other Wii game they made has and still sold well for them.

I wonder how people will react if Wii got a GTA or MGS game. The GC got MGS so it's not out of the question and DS is getting GTA.

bubka

Pachinko said:
It's a borked simplified game for a borked simplified audience. Seriously does anyone ONLY own a wii? I don't think there's a gamer that would admit to it.

The wii is a casual system for casually minded people , dead rising on 360 was most definetly a 'core gamer' title but the wii version not only needs to be watered down due to massive technical limitations but reworked so that the casual audience can figure out how to play it and still enjoy it.
Man you are just so HARDCORE
ogre_nerds_250.jpg

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I was going to come in here and ask why all the hate for Dead Rising wii but I think I've figured it out. I don't think its hate I think its fear. Those who dislike the wii fear that if this game does well. More and more companies will start to dedicate more time and resources to making non non games (core games if you like) for the wii and in the process pull titles that were thought to be headed to the HD consoles to the wii instead.

Don't get it twisted I'm not saying that this is what will definitely happen all I'm saying is that is what some people fear will happen. Lastly fwiw I'd like to point out that I own a wii (since launch day) and a 360 and I say bring on the core games for the wii!

. . . .Im shocked! I haven't heard that "This is a test for the Wii user base" crap they let out in the past.

Is this supose to be the first none test game? Have Wii owners "proven" themselves to Capcom now? Will Wii get RE5 at some point now?

fresquito

Don't know if it's been said, but a Capcom representative has confirmed me that the Euro version will have the same name as the american version. Great. However he couldn't tell me about the release date.

fresquito said:
Don't know if it's been said, but a Capcom representative has confirmed me that the Euro version will have the same name as the american version. Great. However he couldn't tell me about the release date.

It would also be great if someone of Capcom could confirm that this game will run at 60FPS. I want smoothness and unfortunately the Resi4-Engine was not known for smooth gameplays in the past. Look at UC, at some points the framerate was horrible...

rakka

Frencherman said:
It would also be great if someone of Capcom could confirm that this game will run at 60FPS. I want smoothness and unfortunately the Resi4-Engine was not known for smooth gameplays in the past. Look at UC, at some points the framerate was horrible...
as downgraded as this already looks, there's no chance in hell that this runs at 60.

rakka said:
as downgraded as this already looks, there's no chance in hell that this runs at 60.

Is it really a downgrade when they use a totall different engine? I believe not, the problem ist hat I never saw a 60 frames Resi4-Engine game.

Frencherman said:
Is it really a downgrade when they use a totall different engine?]
Gee I don't know... I guess the Atari 2600 Pac Man wasn't a downgrade of the arcade Pac Man because it used totally different engine? :p

Gwanatu T

It blows my mind that people STILL complain about the save system in DR. They have a restart function within the game that keeps your level and skills and makes it easier for you pussies to handle an unforgiving, awesome, hardcore game. If it's really too hard for you then just keep restarting, eventually you'll hit level 50 and breeze through the game without problems. The point of the save system is to act sort of like the show 24; you have a real-time clock running and you have to get as much as possible done in the time that you're there. You cannot get everything done, that's just the game design. PERIOD.

Zerodoppler said:
I wonder what their excuse is. Demon Chaos on PS2 could handle 65,000 enemies on screen at once.

This. I remember seeing screens of that game and crapping myself. Did it ever come to the US? How was it?

laserbeam said:
"This is recreated from the ground up for the Wii."

GOOD! It's the same concept, obviously, but I'm wondering what they really changed, because looking at the screens it looks exactly the same as the 360 version (minus the graphics of course).

Gwanatu T said:
GOOD! It's the same concept, obviously, but I'm wondering what they really changed, because looking at the screens it looks exactly the same as the 360 version (minus the graphics of course).
Reading the thread would have told you that:

A) The picture taking part is gone
B) The waggle is in
C) Time management aspect is gone
D) Save system is now less restrictive

for starters.

Shogmaster said:
Gee I don't know... I guess the Atari 2600 Pac Man wasn't a downgrade of the arcade Pac Man because it used totally different engine? :p
They didn't try to create a new experience did they?

All this bitching for a game that was never going to be identical anyway. I can understand having repercussions about the changes made, but this is not the same game as Dead Rising 360.

By the looks of it, it was never intended to be the same experience. I don't get the bitching for what amounts to a different game set in the same universe.

Thunder Monkey said:
They didn't try to create a new experience did they?

Sure they did. It was a new shittier experience. :lol

All this bitching for a game that was never going to be identical anyway. I can understand having repercussions about the changes made, but this is not the same game as Dead Rising 360.

By the looks of it, it was never intended to be the same experience. I don't get the bitching for what amounts to a different game set in the same universe.

I think it is what it is, which is a port tailored for strength of the target platform to mask the missing features and graphics from the original. Pretending that somehow adding waggle and shaky free aim transcends the title beyond the original is not going to do you guys any service.

It ain't the real thing, but it's better than not having it. End o story.

FightyF said:
nightez: Thanks for the info. Someone's gotta clear that up.

If you're referring to me, my purchase would wholly depend on whether the game deserves to be bought or not. If they take away some of the great design of the first one, the less likely I will be to buy it.

So you're basically saying you were prepared to buy the exact same game? I don't understand why everyone considers the changes made to the Wii game crappy or the removal of "great design" from the original. Why can't you guys understand that just because it shares the DR name, doesn't mean it'll play the same. It's not so much a port as it is a different take on the game.

And another thing, why is everyone complaining about the new save system when we know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it besides the fact that it'll be different? Why so afraid of change? If everything about the game remained exactly the same but the save system, I could understand but when numerous aspects of this version are different, isn't it likely that this new save system fits this new style of playing better than the old one would have?

Shogmaster said:

I think it is what it is, which is a port tailored for strength of the target platform to mask the missing features and graphics from the original. Pretending that somehow adding waggle and shaky free aim transcends the title beyond the original is not going to do you guys any service.

you never played RE4 wii, did you?

Shogmaster said:

When have I said anything like that?

Other might for some reason or another think it being on the Wii automatically makes it better. I don't. I'll rate the game on it's own merit. Not how it ranks up to a title on a console it could never replicate.

The aiming will likely be improved. But on the whole I will think of it as a separate title. It's not DR2, it's DRWii. It can be an entirely different title, and still just as good as it's 360 counterpart.

..pakbeka.. said:
you never played RE4 wii, did you?
Surely did. It mimicked the shaky aiming of Leon in GC version to perfection. :p

Thunder Monkey said:
When have I said anything like that?

Other might for some reason or another think it being on the Wii automatically makes it better. I don't. I'll rate the game on it's own merit. Not how it ranks up to a title on a console it could never replicate.

The aiming will likely be improved. But on the whole I will think of it as a separate title. It's not DR2, it's DRWii. It can be an entirely different title, and still just as good as it's 360 counterpart.

It was unfair to aim that directly at you. It was more for the general Wii fans in this thread.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shogmaster said:
Reading the thread would have told you that:

A) The picture taking part is gone
B) The waggle is in
C) Time management aspect is gone
D) Save system is now less restrictive

for starters.

PR seems to mention something about time management being in the game

HK-47 said:
PR seems to mention something about time management being in the game
From what I understand, it's more linear so that you don't have to make choices of which event to unfold. That was the unique twist in the 360 version. The choose your own adventure/free form aspect. Now it's supposedly more linear, so that you can pretty much get the completed storyline your first play through.

Shogmaster said:
From what I understand, it's more linear so that you don't have to make choices of which event to unfold. That was the unique twist in the 360 version. The choose your own adventure/free form aspect. Now it's supposedly more linear, so that you can pretty much get the completed storyline your first play through.

The game is split into a series of individual cases, all of which Frank must complete in order to gain vital information that will allow him to piece together the truth behind the horrendous epidemic. In addition to the cases, players will be faced with the dilemma of deciding the rescue priority of the residents of Wilamette who also sought sanctuary in the mall. Depending on the player’s skill, some may not be so fortunate as each rescue needs to be undertaken in a set time period, therefore players may need to delay completion of a case in order to save a fellow human.

Read it again then

Tenbatsu

Whether its shitty or not lets just wait for the game to come out and play it ourselves. Those who are so offended by this just dont get the game as simple as that.

Zoramon089 said:
Read it again then
There is more info on this game than that press release.

In the 360 version, you could literally miss a story event so that you can complete the game without knowing WTF happened in the story because you missed an important story junture.

In this new version, you can make choices about who you can save, and delay the story for them but you still will get the story in that play through.

Get the difference now?

Shogmaster said:

In the 360 version, you could literally miss a story event so that you can complete the game without knowing WTF happened in the story because you missed an important story junture.

In this new version, you can make choices about who you can save, and delay the story for them but you still will get the story in that play through.

Get the difference now?

Are you saying that was a plus?

Zoramon089 said:

If he isn't, then I will. It was brilliant.

I'm not saying the Wii version is bad, only different, or just slightly less good. I thought it was phenominal how Dead Rising was probably pitched as "You're some dude at a mall with tons of zombies," and that entire concept was followed completely. Time is such an awesome elemnt in games. Zelda MM is similar.

Linkzg said:

I'm not saying the Wii version is bad, only different, or just slightly less good. I thought it was phenominal how Dead Rising was probably pitched as "You're some dude at a mall with tons of zombies," and that entire concept was followed completely. Time is such an awesome elemnt in games. Zelda MM is similar.
This is a fantastic comparison.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
a Master Ninja said:
This is a fantastic comparison.

Yeah - it's meant to be played more than once. You reset the three days when you get the helicopter out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Linkzg said:

Time could be awesome.

But it was done to a flawed extent in Dead Rising and Zelda MM is easily the worst of the 3D Zeldas.

So apparently developers have a hard time pulling off, well, time.

omg rite said:
Time could be awesome.

But it was done to a flawed extent in Dead Rising and Zelda MM is easily the worst of the 3D Zeldas.

So apparently developers have a hard time pulling off, well, time.

I disagree that either of them are were flawed. The problem is that people have a hard time accepting consequence in games. I never had a problem with how Dead Rising or MM handled time. I might have a problem if the game was really long, but Dead Rising is super short. I replayed it tons of times. Each one of those times was different. And another game that did time great was Way of the Samurai.

And I wouldn't call MM the worst 3D Zelda, and I don't know if this is the place to really get too deep into it since the thread is about Dead Rising, but I think it is merely a different kind of Zelda.

Zoramon089 said:
Sorry dude, was busy finishing up my 7 day survivor run that I never finished 2 years ago due to RRoD. Ended up with 13 days, 03 hours 33minutes. :D

Anyways, back to topic: To me, the Wii versions is a simpler spoon fed version due to things like exactly that. 360 version was almost a GTA esque action take on the survivor horror genre (or in this case, more like survivor party for one :D). Without the things like the timed event forced storytelling, the game becomes much more ordinary IMO.

Shogmaster said:

Yeah the people trolling this game based on their assumptions on a couple of words spoken in an interview and their general hatred of the Wii probably know more about how the game works than the people who put together that press release.

POINT OF FACT:

NOBODY KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE.

The word 'streamlined' could mean fucking anything for good or bad.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Yeah the people trolling this game based on their assumptions on a couple of words spoken in an interview and their general hatred of the Wii probably know more about how the game works than the people who put together that press release.

POINT OF FACT:

NOBODY KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE.

The word 'streamlined' could mean fucking anything for good or bad.
There are several articles outlining the changes you fucking douche. Now GTFO and don't fucking come back in if you think I'm "trolling" this game.

Shogmaster said:
There are several articles outlining the changes you fucking douche. Now GTFO and don't fucking come back in if you think I'm "trolling" this game.

What articles? Link them.

All I've seen is:
a) Camera mode is gone
b) New 'closer' camera to try and imitate being overwhlemed by zombies on hardware that can't replicate as many as the 360 version
c) 'streamlined' save system
d) ???
e) profit

So I'd like to know where your assumption that time management has been removed has come from. Given that time management is a bullet point in the OP you have obviously read.

MrNyarlathotep said:
What articles? Link them.

All I've seen is:
a) Camera mode is gone
b) New 'closer' camera to try and imitate being overwhlemed by zombies on hardware that can't replicate as many as the 360 version
c) 'streamlined' save system
d) ???
e) profit

So I'd like to know where your assumption that time management has been removed has come from. Given that time management is a bullet point in the OP you have obviously read.
Here is one you lazy shit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328301

Second fucking page for fuck sakes.

There are more. Do the search.

-- changes from the original: selectable difficulty level, improved save system, larger text, and an episodic game structure.

...is English not your first language or something? Because that doesnt say

-- changes from the original: shaky aim, waggle, linear game structure, no time management, cannot miss cases, extra added casual gamer weak sauce

Dead Rising on the 360 has an episodic game structure. Its just called 'days' instead of 'episodes'. So are you actually going to defend your assumptions or just keep insulting me for asking you to?

MrNyarlathotep said:
...is English not your first language or something? Because that doesnt say
"Episodic game structure".

Other threads with different articles (like the original Famitsu translated) spells it out more plainly for your liking. DO YOUR OWN FUCKING SEARCH. There are literally 4+ threads on Wii Rising. Don't be a Johnny come lately to the discussion and start pointing dirty fingers. Don't be that douche.

You're reading a lot (in the most negative way possible) into 'episodic game structure', and I know about the other threads because I was posting in most of them.

The fact is that you don't actually know what those changes mean.

Me at the top of this page said:
Where did that get said? All I've seen claimed is that it's been 'streamlined' - which could mean pretty much ANYTHING, from an autosave after each case that doesn't require you to sleep in the security room, to dividing the game into 'chapters' which you can start at any time, to anything in between.

'Episodic structure' doesn't automatically mean linear, and if it meant the removal of time management, then why would the Official PR (again, its in the OP - try reading it!) explicitly state time management as a keypoint?

MrNyarlathotep said:
You're reading a lot (in the most negative way possible) into 'episodic game structure', and I know about the other threads because I was posting in most of them.

The fact is that you don't actually know what those changes mean.

I see it as more linear. You read my "more linear" as a negative comment. It looks like to me that it's more in tune with Wii owners' preferences, so stop painting my take on it as "negative" just to suit your agenda. It is what it is. If you want more free flowing, get the 360 version. If you want more linear, get the Wii version. Simple, without painting anyone as trolling.

'Episodic structure' doesn't automatically mean linear, and if it meant the removal of time management, then why would the Official PR (again, its in the OP - try reading it!) explicitly state time management as a keypoint?

This is the same PR bullet point laugh a riot that lists eating food and drinking stuff to gain health as a feature. You want to take that literature as the definitive bible on the game, then power to you. I was referring more to things like the interview with one of the producer (IIRC ?) of the game that explained the more linear structure.

You can split hairs all you want, but it's definitely going to be more linear take on the original storytelling.

LM4sure

Banned
FightyF said:
How is the save system better if it takes all tension away from the game? If it takes away all the drama? If it takes away all negative consequences?

You are effectively dumbing the game down. That's not making the game better by any stretch.

The save system is the one thing people bitched about most. Stop doing damage control! This is a good thing!!!! I heard there were only two save points in the 360 version. Who ever heard of only two bathrooms in a mall! That's crazy! The Wii version will be more realistic. Just deal with the fact that the definitive version is coming to the Wii.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I got the 360 version yesterday for like 20 bucks, it's an awesome game...but yeah I had to redo so many parts because of the save system...it doesnt even let you do multiple save files so if you make bad choices ur screwed. I can't say it's a bad system though, for the hardcore gamer. I'm not surprised that it's getting dumbed down for the casual console.

--but I have not saved any body I just let everyone die, can you still pass the game like that? But seriously nothing cooler than the megaman helmet.

Zabka

LM4sure said:
The save system is the one thing people bitched about most. Stop doing damage control! This is a good thing!!!! I heard there were only two save points in the 360 version. Who ever heard of only two bathrooms in a mall! That's crazy! The Wii version will be more realistic. Just deal with the fact that the definitive version is coming to the Wii.
Looking at this map I count 4 bathrooms, plus you could save on the couch in the saferoom. The save system in Dead Rising was fine. The main problem was the "Save & Quit" in the start menu confusing people.

Vinci

Danish
How's about this? How about all the Dead Rising 360 fans with no interest whatsoever in the Wii version let the Wii owners interested in it take care of this 'retard' version and you guys just be happy cradling the only version you truly care about?

Coming in here and demeaning it endlessly, causing fights with people who have a legitimate interest in the game, is fucking worthless and unnecessary. You got your 'definitive version.' Be happy you have it. Let us worry about this one.

Top Bottom