• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

MMaRsu

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
Actually the last DR topic was trolls moaning about how the very existence of a Wii version means that Dead Rising 2 is AUTOMATICALLY RUINED. Casuals and weaksauce and stuff.

People who don't like DRs save system aren't DR fans. They're fans of, fuck I don't know, some GTA3 mod that doesn't exist but that replaces all the weapons and turns all the pedestrians into zombies and counts how many you've killed or something.

This indeed :).

Holepunch

I think people are forgetting a real key part about this, that upset most 360 players, yet no mention of fixing as of yet.

Infinite mode.

I could sacrifice the respawning convicts if they actually put in a good infinite mode. The problem with the last one was they made it so over time you get hungry, so in order to keep playing you had to eat. But THEN they ruined by having the food never respawn, ever. So now the infinite mode becomes infinite-as-long-as-there-is-food-around. In other words...you're doomed to eventually starve to death, no matter how good of a player you are. So you can't have a save file that goes on forever, in a perpetual mall-ruining zombie bludgeoning experience. Really, this is the bullet point I want to see. Infinite time, no hunger meter, and have food respawn every now and then. There we go, a true infinite mode. Make it happen cap'n.

Holepunch said:
I think people are forgetting a real key part about this, that upset most 360 players, yet no mention of fixing as of yet.

Infinite mode.

I could sacrifice the respawning convicts if they actually put in a good infinite mode. The problem with the last one was they made it so over time you get hungry, so in order to keep playing you had to eat. But THEN they ruined by having the food never respawn, ever. So now the infinite mode becomes infinite-as-long-as-there-is-food-around. In other words...you're doomed to eventually starve to death, no matter how good of a player you are. So you can't have a save file that goes on forever, in a perpetual mall-ruining zombie bludgeoning experience. Really, this is the bullet point I want to see. Infinite time, no hunger meter, and have food respawn every now and then. There we go, a true infinite mode. Make it happen cap'n.

Every reason you hate it is why it is awesome. You really feel like a guy stuck in the mall with a bunch of zombies. Like in real life that food runs out, you have to consider the same things in the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
TheWolf said:
so basically it's running on a Gamecube engine?

no, it`s running on a wii engine........

so, yes a cube-engine.... xD

Chao

cw_sasuke said:
no, it`s running on a wii engine........

so, yes a cube-engine.... xD

facepalm.jpeg

cw_sasuke

wow, you`re very sensitive it was a joke, though it`s the truth xD

Dolphin

Banned
If they could squeeze just a few more zombies on screen at once it would be great, like 50-60...

I'll buy it though.

cw_sasuke

Dash Kappei said:
Bah. :-/

Give me the same price then.

ppl are really overestimate the importance of an engine - look at nintendo and games like smg or tp which are runnung on modified cube/n64 engines... not the engine is important but the effort which devs are willing to put into the project....

maybe the re4 engine is the best option on wii for that kind of game, since the devs are familiar with it...

Darklord said:
How about updating the 360 with that?

It is a game mechanic. Changing it for the 360 Dead Rising would be like removing the recharging shield from Halo or the ability to drive in GTA4.

Wii version is made different and more linear, that is why they can sacrifice it.

BitchTits

Holepunch said:

Infinite mode.

You can run around killing things in the main mode without following the storyline and without having to worry about constantly depleting health.

Infinite mode was great, but it needed a save system! I didn't want to play a game for 17+ hours straight! :lol

Ganondorfo

Finally a sequel to dead rising, thank you capcom, oh wait it's a port of the xbox360 game.

NOT INTERESTED, good for wii owners, first they get the amazing okami and now dead rising, what next? resident evil 5...

Teknoman

Re4 Wii looked pretty good on my TV. Then again, i'm not that hard of a judge.

Also I've still got that chop till you drop Dead Rising shirt, so this works for me :D

Maybe 29.99 price point again?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
cw_sasuke said:
ppl are really overestimate the importance of an engine - look at nintendo and games like smg or tp which are runnung on modified cube/n64 engines... not the engine is important but the effort which devs are willing to put into the project

I'm not overestimating anything, there are things that come with that engine that I really don't like, that's all, and you can see already from the screenshot the direction they're going because of that: 16 bit color, massive dithering and artifacts, jaggies-fest.
Mind you, it's a fantastic engine that pushed Gamecube very hard, suited perfectly for what the game required (poly count, effects, lighting, stable framerate).

You should revisit Re4, it's not graphically as good as you remember for today's standards.
Even for Wii games.
You can't also compare massive improvements over an heavily modified engine where they worked for 3 years (Galaxy) on a team of maybe 30/40 engineers versus improvements (unlikely) to be made with a team of 3/5 or so engineers with roughly a 12 months development's time, c'mon.

That said, we've already seen a couple of screens where you can count 35+ zombies.
If only they could ramp it up to 50/60 it would be fucking sweet.

That said, I'm super happy the game is coming, I trust Capcom it'll be fantastic :)

Ganondorfo said:
Finally a sequel to dead rising, thank you capcom, oh wait it's a port of the xbox360 game.

NOT INTERESTED, good for wii owners, first they get the amazing okami and now dead rising, what next? resident evil 5...
As far as Capcom is concerned, its not a port. Its being recreated [as a different game entirely] ground up for Wii.

lordmrw

Dolphin said:
If they could squeeze just a few more zombies on screen at once it would be great, like 50-60...

I'll buy it though.

I would actually be surprised if there wasn't at least that many at one time. RE 4 had close to 20 enemies coming at you at a time, and hopefully if they've upgraded the engine, it should be able to handle more than that. I really do hope they add the lighting, as everything looks flat.

Everyone is missing the real point of this. They are using a modified RE4 engine for this.

Clearly this means a RE2 Remake using the RE4 engine is being made for the Wii.

Sadist

comedy bomb said:
Everyone is missing the real point of this. They are using a modified RE4 engine for this.

One can only dream little one, one can only dream...

Teknoman said:
Wasnt that a really old horror movie? I remember seeing a sun bleached VHS box with that when I was young.

Yes. AKA Killbots

Pretty cheesy (but very enjoyable) tale of teens, partying at a mall after hours, who run afoul of malfunctioning security droids.

You know if anything, all these people worrying about Dead Rising 2. Considering some people were worried due to that Romero lawsuit, apparently that didn't win otherwise we wouldn't be seeing Dead Rising for the Wii I'm guessing. So consider this good news and hopefully Dead Rising 2 is already in the works? :p

Pulling strings here I know but come on.

TheWolf said:
so basically it's running on a Gamecube engine?

Ugh, I don't think you know how engines work...same engine doesn't necessarily mean the same game or same looking game. DR and Lost Planet for the 360 are based on the Onimush engine. WW for the GC is based on the SM64 engine (as were Oot and MM)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
comedy bomb said:

No, what this means is the the MT Framework engine is most likely a modified RE4 version, which was designed on top of the RE4 PC version's engine (Which is somewhat backed up by the fact that Devil May Cry 4 was made with Framework, and DMC1 was made on a spinoff of the RE4 engine).

Also, the RE4 engine is most likely a modified RE0 engine, since they were able to remake/port the game on the wii with next to no effort, which is built on the RE1 GCN engine, which is most likely a modified engine from RE3 or Code Veronica, since both games got gamecube ports, so Capcom could use similar code, or they could of just ported the PS1 or N64 of RE1 and went from there.

And I bet you could go even farther back and find that capcom has just been updating there engines again and again and again from the NES days, or just going off there original PS1/Saturn engines, or some PC engine made back in the early 90's.

Haunted

I was 100% sure the name was a mod's doing or a joke before entering this thread.

Kudos, Capcom, kudos. Might buy another copy just because of the name, it's that good.

LM4sure

Banned
Utilizes the same engine as Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.

Awesome! That is what I was hoping to hear!

Isn't it hilarious that the definitive version of Dead Rising will be on the Wii!!?! :lol

FightyF

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Ugh, I don't think you know how engines work...same engine doesn't necessarily mean the same game or same looking game. DR and Lost Planet for the 360 are based on the Onimush engine. WW for the GC is based on the SM64 engine (as were Oot and MM)

DR and LP were made on the MT Framework engine.

LM4sure said:
Isn't it hilarious that the definitive version of Dead Rising will be on the Wii!!?! :lol

Heh, if they've already ruined the save system, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the game...

FightyF said:
Heh, if they've already ruined the save system, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the game...

I'd say thats failed logic. Might displease the hardcore DR fans, but otherwise its still not a big deal to most others.

360 version patch please, no way Wii owners should be the only ones to get the definitive version with a workable save feature. :/

Yaweee

I think people are interpreting the changes to the save system without thinking of how it plays into the changes to the rest of the game. So far, it seems as if it goes hand-in-hand with the discrete time system.

Instead of time flowing freely, you are allowed to do one 'mission' per phase, and each phase uses up X time in the day. Certain missions can only be selected during certain time frames, and I'm assuming that it covers the same time span as the original. With a discrete system like this, I think the save system does deserve a bit of an overhaul.

Now, the real question is how badly the time changes will destroy the game; it sounds like the free-flowing structure was the best part of the original.

(This is all based on what I've read so far, so my impressions could be incorrect).

(Were you allowed one file per system in the original, or one file per playthrough?)

nightez

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Do u have any links/quotes on that?

What of Rare's platformers were they also running on the Mario64 engine?

nightez

Banned
Drkirby said:
No, what this means is the the MT Framework engine is most likely a modified RE4 version, which was designed on top of the RE4 PC version's engine (Which is somewhat backed up by the fact that Devil May Cry 4 was made with Framework, and DMC1 was made on a spinoff of the RE4 engine).

Also, the RE4 engine is most likely a modified RE0 engine, since they were able to remake/port the game on the wii with next to no effort, which is built on the RE1 GCN engine, which is most likely a modified engine from RE3 or Code Veronica, since both games got gamecube ports, so Capcom could use similar code, or they could of just ported the PS1 or N64 of RE1 and went from there.

And I bet you could go even farther back and find that capcom has just been updating there engines again and again and again from the NES days, or just going off there original PS1/Saturn engines, or some PC engine made back in the early 90's.

Nah the MT framework is based on the Onimusha engine...

FightyF

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'd say thats failed logic. Might displease the hardcore DR fans, but otherwise its still not a big deal to most others.

If anything, your post was failed logic. Do you even know what "logic" means?

How is taking away one of the most fundamental gameplay features, not going to affect the quality of the game?

nightez said:
Nah the MT framework is based on the Onimusha engine...

No it wasn't.

http://www.softimage-xsi.net/community/customer_stories/jp_lost_planet/default.aspx

When you gave the Onimusha 3 presentation at Siggraph, you mentioned the Onimusha engine. Did you use the Onimusha engine for Lost Planet?

Takeuchi: The Onimusha engine was created for the PS2. Since then, Capcom has been preparing for the next generation of engines, and has been investing quite a lot of resources in their development. MT Framework is a part of this development series, operating on the Xbox 360 and the PS3. As well as Lost Planet, we used MT Framework for Dead Rising. By the way, although some people say that MT is an abbreviation of "multi-thread", others say it doesn't actually stand for anything! (Laughs)

In the questionnaire at the Onimusha 3 presentation one respondent said: "Now I understand the power of the Onimusha engine!"

Takeuchi: (Laughs) I can see how a game developer might think that. But remember that even if the Onimusha engine or the later MT Framework version is used, the actual data are created with XSI. For example, if someone were to look at an animation scene, they may think mistakenly that the data was recorded with motion capture and imported into a game engine. However, at Capcom we have traditionally added motion to game animation by hand. This work is done individually by each designer, so the support of a tool with flexible animation functions such as XSI is indispensable. Further, MT Framework was designed on the premise of it being used together with XSI, so the compatibility is extremely high.

LM4sure

Banned
FightyF said:
DR and LP were made on the MT Framework engine.

Save system is better, therefore game is better. See the logic?

Diablos

Orlics said:
Chop 'Til You run out of video memory
:lol

• Improved save functionality allows for more seamless gameplay
...and there goes half of what made the original so challenging. I bitched about the save system at first, too (search through my posts if you want), but then I realized why it was like that, and appreciated it because it really does make the game much more challenging.

Whatever. If this is just some spinoff, so be it. If this influences the future of this series I will be very disappointed.

FightyF said:
If anything, your post was failed logic. Do you even know what "logic" means?

How is taking away one of the most fundamental gameplay features, not going to affect the quality of the game?

No it wasn't.

Umm you saying a game is going to be crappy, which is basically what your insinuating, just because the save system is somewhat different. Thats bad logic. Sure the purist will swear night and day by the save system. Hell I'm a fan of the 360 version and still own it and play it. Yet to say this one thing doesn't bode well for the Wii version is asinine.

Anyways, yes its different. Some purist will hate the new save system, some will love it, but it doesn't bode bad for the Wii version for crying out loud.

FightyF

Banned
LM4sure said:
Save system is better, therefore game is better. See the logic?

How is the save system better if it takes all tension away from the game? If it takes away all the drama? If it takes away all negative consequences?

You are effectively dumbing the game down. That's not making the game better by any stretch.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Umm you saying a game is going to be crappy, which is basically what your insinuating, just because the save system is somewhat different.

I'm not saying it's simply different, I'm pointing out the fact that it is inferior.

I think we can all agree that putting a "God mode" in any game would make it worse, as there are no negative consequences. You are seeing something similar here.

Top Bottom