• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Announces Street Fighter x Tekken Live Reality Show "Cross Assault"

knee

I love how everyone is assuming who'll beat who, etc.... when the show is just going to end up being Capcom Double Dare 2012

I think you missed the post that gave a breakdown of all the players. The only ones l'm sad to see not make is Justin and Ricky --they've been part of the community for years.

I really wanted to see Justin too. I think he has the most pedigree in terms of history and achievement. I think having one big name person each team wouldve been nice.

Edit: this won't happen but if they do some kind of "here comes a new challenger!" to the selected contestants it'd be interesting to watch

I think you missed the post that gave a breakdown of all the players. The only ones l'm sad to see not make it is Justin and Ricky --they've been part of the community for years.

They are in everything, give the lesser-known people a chance for once. Justin and Ricky don't have to be in every single fgc-related thing.

I think why Capcom didn't choose Justin Wong, Ricky, F Champ etc is because they're all top players and would probably make it very far into the show without much effort.

Grecco

I love how everyone is assuming who'll beat who, etc.... when the show is just going to end up being Capcom Double Dare 2012

This is true. Being good in old capcom games dont mean a whole lot of anything. DamDai got blown up at that Fingercramp thing

I think why Capcom didn't choose Justin Wong, Ricky, F Champ etc is because they're all top players and would probably make it very far into the show without much effort.

True that. How much could Valle teach Wong?

I think I'll root for the new blood from Capcom - Sherry and Hornet. It would be great if a new player won, although it's not too likely with the strong Tekken side. Even Justin Wong is convinced Bronson will win free...

n3ss

aka acr0nym

I think I'll root for the new blood from Capcom - Sherry and Hornet. It would be great if a new player won, although it's not too likely with the strong Tekken side. Even Justin Wong is convinced Bronson will win free...

Bronson not only knows how to play Tekken VERY well, but he's not too bad at SF too --he also talks a lot of shit and will be fun to watch.

K.Sabot

What does that mean? I'm not a US gaffer

New York has restrictions on gambling, while California does not. He didn't say any details on that, but just mentioned it as a reason. So New York itself was excluded.
He said 8 of 10 including the 2 back up picks were West Coast.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yay for Renic and Sherry!

Gotta admit, I hadn't heard of a lot of these folks before I saw their entries. Shows there's not only some talent, but some decent personalities out there in Fighting Game Land, and one of the benefits of this show is giving them more exposure.

I enjoy Mike Ross/Gootecks/Combofiend/Yipes/etc. as much as the next guy, but there are other sources for experiencing what they bring to the community. This is a really good chance for some who might not be so well-known. Gonna be fun!

New York has restrictions on gambling, while California does not. He didn't say any details on that, but just mentioned it as a reason. So New York itself was excluded.

People forget how big California is. Plus, most submissions came from that state. A lot from East Coast didn't even submit anything.

A little bit strange that the people running this weren't more transparent on this matter with people submitting entries.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but Gootecks is free enough to have been considered though.
Haha, yeah I guess a certain amount of freeness is quintessential to being picked. You can't just have any random masher on there, but you also can't really have super tournament winning beasts. The likes of Gootecks would have been cool, but like I say, his real chemistry is with Mike Ross, and we have access to Cross Counter whenever we feel like a dose.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.

If that. This show isn't about the quality of the play. Have they even disclosed how one wins the grand prize?

It is about the quality of the play. Many challenges will be based off key gameplay elements needed to be successful in the game.

I think the only issue with Cross Assault is this. Given the project's audience is people who watch fighting game streams I'm perplexed why every elimination doesn't come down to matches as opposed to "Many challenges will be based off key gameplay elements".

I think the only issue with Cross Assault is this. Given the project's audience is people who watch fighting game streams I'm perplexed why every elimination doesn't come down to matches as opposed to "Many challenges will be based off key gameplay elements".

"Key gameplay elements" revolve around matches, why wouldn't elimination be focused around match play?

DjangoReinhardt

It is about the quality of the play. Many challenges will be based off key gameplay elements needed to be successful in the game.

If you want to play semantics, fine. Team Street Fighter is not comprised of the best players from the pool of applicants. Capcom elected to choose contestants based on reasons independent of their demonstrable abilities in fighting games. Based on your response, there will also be events - perhaps a majority, even - that will not be based off key gameplay elements needed to be successful in the game. Capcom has either a) intentionally structured this event in a manner that was not intended to maximize the quality of play or b) almost certainly failed in their goal of creating an event that would maximize the quality of play.

By beating the person fighting against you for the grand prize.

That answer is too vague to be of any value. It was cute, though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I like the picks. Some of these people have been around forever and never got the exposure they deserve. Bronson for example. Even though I don't follow or play Tekken, I know who he is. But most of the modern day FGC have no clue who he is until the reveal. Both groups are balanced in terms of who is who. I think it would be stupid to have a well known SF player in the Tekken team for example.

Grecco

I think it would be stupid to have a well known SF player in the Tekken team for example.

Really? This isnt a Tekken game, and contestants arent forced to pick "just tekken" or "just Sf" characters. I dont think it would have been stupid at all.

"Key gameplay elements" revolve around matches, why wouldn't elimination be focused around match play?

Sorry, I just assumed it might be referring to things like the worst in mission mode or arcade mode was eliminated. My mistake for the misunderstanding.

Really? This isnt a Tekken game, and contestants arent forced to pick "just tekken" or "just Sf" characters. I dont think it would have been stupid at all.

It's meant to be Street Fighter vs Tekken though, not Street Fighter vs Street Fighter plays that are too scared to apply for team Street Fighter as they don't think they'll get picked. I think it would be odd them picking people who have no association with Tekken for that team.

Imm0rt4l

Bronson will win free.

If you want to play semantics, fine. Team Street Fighter is not comprised of the best players from the pool of applicants. Capcom elected to choose contestants based on reasons independent of their demonstrable abilities in fighting games. Based on your response, there will also be events - perhaps a majority, even - that will not be based off key gameplay elements needed to be successful in the game. Capcom has either a) intentionally structured this event in a manner that was not intended to maximize the quality of play or b) almost certainly failed in their goal of creating an event that would maximize the quality of play.

That answer is too vague to be of any value. It was cute, though.

Who said it was supposed to?

I don't think you realize who I am. I'm a producer on the show. You're assuming a scenario, objective, and reasoning against someone who actually knows the truth of all these things. Maximizing the quality of the play is not a problem with the people we chose. You underestimate them greatly. All of them are fantastic players.

The question was too stupid to give an answer of any value.

Did you not read the OP and promo at all? They never said that they would be aiming for nothing but top-tier players.

DjangoReinhardt

Who said it was supposed to?

I don't think you realize who I am. I'm a producer on the show. You're assuming a scenario, objective, and reasoning against someone who actually knows the truth of all these things. Maximizing the quality of the play is not a problem with the people we chose. You underestimate them greatly. All of them are fantastic players.

The question was too stupid to give an answer of any value.

I'm not the one who claimed the show was about the quality of play. You did. Then you pointed out that no one said this show was about picking the best players. Then you claimed that the selected contestants won't have any problem maximizing the quality of play. Forgive me if I find that your "point" is muddled.

Maybe I am underestimating them. How about an avatar bet on SFxT tournament results this for the rest of this calendar year? You take Team Street Fighter and I'll take Justin Wong, Ricky Ortiz, Noel Brown, Fubarduck, and ChrisG.

You're being paid to hype up this show. I get it. There's about as much use in discussing this with you as there is in asking Steve Ballmer what he thinks about Bing. I'll let you get back to evangelizing your product on assorted social media platforms.

I'm not the one who claimed the show was about the quality of play. You did. Then you pointed out that no one said this show was about picking the best players. Then you claimed that the selected contestants won't have any problem maximizing the quality of play. Forgive me if I find that your "point" is muddled.

Maybe I am underestimating them. How about an avatar bet on SFxT tournament results this for the rest of this calendar year? You take Team Street Fighter and I'll take Justin Wong, Ricky Ortiz, Noel Brown, Fubarduck, and ChrisG.

You're being paid to hype up this show. I get it. There's about as much use in discussing this with you as there is in asking Steve Ballmer what he thinks about Bing. I'll let you get back to evangelizing your product on assorted social media platforms.

Having pro players on a unreleased game does not guarantee that the quality of play is going to be better compared to having non-pros. They are pro because they spent a huge amount of hours practicing a game and this game isn't even out yet. And what is currently "Maximum play" on SFxT is still up for grabs, but these people will have more time with it than anyone else has had. stop acting like this game has been out for 10 years and stop kidding yourself by nuthugging stream monster celebrities in thinking they would do better than anyone else on a brand new game.

You want to bet how the end tournament result will be on SFxT? Do you even consider that not all the people on Cross Assault have the same opportunities as the people you mentioned to even enter all these tournaments? The goal of this show isn't to make the next Justin Wong. And it's not "maybe underestimating" these players, you are DEFINITELY underestimating them.

And I'm not being paid to hype a show, I'm only producing it and how it works. Your views on what you thought the show is supposed to be or supposed to work makes you look like an ass.

vulva

You're being really dumb about this. The players are quality and skilled players. The idea for the show was to have entertaining personalities, fair competition, promote the game and generally appeal to a wider audience. If you're certain these are terrible players then provide proof by you beating renic at 3s or nerdjosh at arcana heart. If you want high level play and nothing else, watch a tournament stream. This is meant to appeal to more than just stream monsters though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wow there is a huge amount of stupidity in this thread. Team tekken is supposed to be about people from the tekken community and viseversa, the event is about BRINGING THE TWO COMMUNITIES TOGETHER. Maybe capcom shouldn't of put such a huge ass amount of money up so people wouldnt turn into greedy dicks about it.

and it makes more sense to have people that were part of the sf community on board that hated sf4 but like other versions of it. It will show the public THE GAME ISN'T SF4 for all the people that didn't like it. I figured this was the MAJOR NO SHIT reason.

The fanboy dick riding in this thread is fucking hilarious though.

Example down below
vv

smurfx

get some go again
Having pro players on a unreleased game does not guarantee that the quality of play is going to be better compared to having non-pros. They are pro because they spent a huge amount of hours practicing a game and this game isn't even out yet. And what is currently "Maximum play" on SFxT is still up for grabs, but these people will have more time with it than anyone else has had. stop acting like this game has been out for 10 years and stop kidding yourself by nuthugging stream monster celebrities in thinking they would do better than anyone else on a brand new game.

\
lol did you not see WNF yesterday? what a surprise justin wong and floe were in the grand finale. why would that be? they haven't had the game for a long time but they are top players who quickly adjust. you are kidding yourself if you don't think top players wouldn't do better in a brand new game. this game might be new but its very similar to sf4 so top players in those games will quickly pick it up like floe and justin showed yesterday. justin wong has already demonstrated that he can pick up a brand new game and be good like when he picked up mortal kombat and even won some big event. if you want to show quality of play then you get somebody like wong.

You're being really dumb about this. The players are quality and skilled players. The idea for the show was to have entertaining personalities, fair competition, promote the game and generally appeal to a wider audience. If you're certain these are terrible players then provide proof by you beating renic at 3s or nerdjosh at arcana heart. If you want high level play and nothing else, watch a tournament stream. This is meant to appeal to more than just stream monsters though.
i'm sorry but who else but stream monsters are going to watch this show? who is it aimed at? even casual players know who justin wong is or have at least heard of him.

lol did you not see WNF yesterday? what a surprise justin wong and floe were in the grand finale. why would that be? they haven't had the game for a long time but they are top players who quickly adjust. you are kidding yourself if you don't think top players wouldn't do better in a brand new game. this game might be new but its very similar to sf4 so top players in those games will quickly pick it up like floe and justin showed yesterday. justin wong has already demonstrated that he can pick up a brand new game and be good like when he picked up mortal kombat and even won some big event. if you want to show quality of play then you get somebody like wong.

i'm sorry but else but stream monsters are going to watch this show? who is it aimed at? even casual players know who justin wong is or have at least heard of him.

Funny cause Wong got blown up by everyone when he first picked up SCV and Marvel. You also didn't mention he has had more time with SFxT than most. You also failed to mention that what Justin and Floe was an invitational event with very small amount of players in it, making it easy to get to grand finals. It's aimed at the FGC, but we have things aimed for people unfamiliar with the FGC who may only be interested in the game as well.

Top Bottom