• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Announces Street Fighter x Tekken Live Reality Show "Cross Assault"

vulva

i'm sorry but who else but stream monsters are going to watch this show? who is it aimed at? even casual players know who justin wong is or have at least heard of him.

the whole concept is to appeal on a level different than that of the stream monsters. Some might find out about it and watch it solely because the concept sounds ridiculous to them (not dissimilar to those who are all about jersey shore) and find out through word of mouth. Like I said, clearly the idea here is to appeal to a different demographic than solely those who watch streams. That said, there's a good chance it won't work. Doesn't change that it's worth the effort.

Also there are tons of people out there who enjoy fighting games but don't care at all about knowledge on the competitive level. Something like Street Fighter is popular in the mainstream but that doesn't mean everyone who picks up a pad or goes to an arcade knows or cares who Justin Wong is. A show like this might reach the casual audience a bit more and attract them to look more in to the community.

the whole concept is to appeal on a level different than that of the stream monsters. Some might find out about it and watch it solely because the concept sounds ridiculous to them (not dissimilar to those who are all about jersey shore) and find out through word of mouth. Like I said, clearly the idea here is to appeal to a different demographic than solely those who watch streams. That said, there's a good chance it won't work. Doesn't change that it's worth the effort.

Also there are tons of people out there who enjoy fighting games but don't care at all about knowledge on the competitive level. Something like Street Fighter is popular in the mainstream but that doesn't mean everyone who picks up a pad or goes to an arcade knows or cares who Justin Wong is. A show like this might reach the casual audience a bit more and attract them to look more in to the community.

This isn't only going to be one stream...

CPS2

A few people seem to be really against this show, and the only info we have is who will be on it. I think the selections are great. It's probably a bit stacked towards the Tekken side but I don't think that's all that important.

It's weird how at first I was all "why wouldn't you want known players?" I guess these guys aren't as well known as I thought lol. It's almost like without Justin Wong it's written off as a joke by some people.

Westlo

No. That will be at Final Round. The Evo is seed points to the final four, plus some future plans.

Seed points to Final Four? You mean seed points for pool play right like a regular tournament top 8 finish correct? I just don't see this game getting less than 700 entries (if mk9 can get 500....and mvc3 1000..) so to seed someone for final 4... please clarify.

i'm sorry but who else but stream monsters are going to watch this show? who is it aimed at? even casual players know who justin wong is or have at least heard of him.

I think the main aim is to stick the shows in IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers etc for those who don't play FGs to be more familar with the FGC and how an average fighting game player learns to play a FG. They are trying to sell the FGC as much as they are trying to sell SFxT.

Seed points to Final Four? You mean seed points for pool play right like a regular tournament top 8 finish correct? I just don't see this game getting less than 700 entries (if mk9 can get 500....and mvc3 1000..) so to seed someone for final 4... please clarify.

Seed points for the final four contestants of Cross Assault. Sorry.

El Sloth

Banned
lol did you not see WNF yesterday? what a surprise justin wong and floe were in the grand finale. why would that be? they haven't had the game for a long time but they are top players who quickly adjust. you are kidding yourself if you don't think top players wouldn't do better in a brand new game. this game might be new but its very similar to sf4 so top players in those games will quickly pick it up like floe and justin showed yesterday. justin wong has already demonstrated that he can pick up a brand new game and be good like when he picked up mortal kombat and even won some big event. if you want to show quality of play then you get somebody like wong.
Ha ha ha, they've probably had more time with the game than anyone else outside of Capcom.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I hope this show is successful enough to bring a new wave of players, sf4 brought 09ersn maybe we can see some 12s

Yeah I think that's one of their main goals. The way I see sf x tk is

Get players back that didn't like or got tired of sf4
Get the tekken community invested in sf
Get new players who feel like they couldn't play something like this before.

That's A TON of people.

Yeah I think that's one of their main goals. The way I see sf x tk is

Get players back that didn't like or got tired of sf4
Get the tekken community invested in sf
Get new players who feel like they couldn't play something like this before.

That's A TON of people.

We're not trying to make the next pro, although it would be cool.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's a bit generous for NerdJosh considering this isn't a Marvel game. :p

He played 3rd strike I believe and arcana heart and melty blood. Fighting game experience in general pays off huge. SF4/marvel are not the only games that count for ranking up as a player.

I'll honestly say, 3rd strike or Alpha experience will help with SF x Tekken more than SF4 experience outside knowing what the characters do on a base level.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I voted for Justin and one other person. There should be top, mid-high, mid, low, and scrub players for each team.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I voted for Justin and one other person. There should be top, mid-high, mid, low, and scrub players for each team.

Yup I agree with this format the most. But I don't think that was their plans. BTW you going to actually try and get into SF x Tekken Kadey?

Vice

Why? If you put someone like Justin into the mix with a bunch of scrubs, good and OK players you're essentially writing the high level player a check.

The worst part of the show is going to be Bronson, he's much better than all of the competition. On either team.

Why? If you put someone like Justin into the mix with a bunch of scrubs, good and OK players you're essentially writing the high level player a check.

The worst part of the show is going to be Bronson, he's much better than all of the competition. On either team.

Yeah pretty much, throwing someone like Justin in there would be like throwing a wolf in there with a bunch of lambs. He has also had a fair amount of time with the game as we all know so it wouldn't just be his ability to pick up a game and learn it quickly. I always thought that they should have pointed out that they wanted newer faces. Or in other words, not people who have really established themselves in the last 3 years like Justin, Ricky, and so on. Bringing back old faces like Renic is cool because they are unknowns to most of the current FGC that started with SF4.

As for Bronson, he may be a legend, but I don't see him dominating even if he wins the whole thing. Like we've seen with others, no matter how good you are in previous game or other series, it's going to take a lot of time to adjust to a new one. BAS still looks clueless sometimes when playing SF4 even though he's been playing for months now. And this isn't SF4, but if you have a lot of experience in SF4 you're going to have some what of a headstart in SFxT compared to the other players who have little to no SF4 experience.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah pretty much, throwing someone like Justin in there would be like throwing a wolf in there with a bunch of lambs. He has also had a fair amount of time with the game as we all know so it wouldn't just be his ability to pick up a game and learn it quickly. I always thought that they should have pointed out that they wanted newer faces. Or in other words, not people who have really established themselves in the last 3 years like Justin, Ricky, and so on. Bringing back old faces like Renic is cool because they are unknowns to most of the current FGC that started with SF4.

As for Bronson, he may be a legend, but I don't see him dominating even if he wins the whole thing. This isn't SF4, but if you have a lot of experience in SF4 you're going to have some what of a headstart in SFxT compared to the other players who have little to no SF4 experience. Like we've seen with others, no matter how good you are in previous game or other series, it's going to take a lot of time to adjust to a new one. BAS still looks clueless sometimes when playing SF4 even though he's been playing for months now.

I've been saying it time and time again, outside of character basics. *standard link stuff for the sf4 characters* alpha and sf3 players in general will be able to pick up the games style much quicker. It's not really like sf4 at all. Of course Justin and such will still do way better cause they got experience in all those. But say people that only really played sf4... nah they are gonna be confused for a while til it clicks.

I've been saying it time and time again, outside of character basics. *standard link stuff for the sf4 characters* alpha and sf3 players in general will be able to pick up the games style much quicker. It's not really like sf4 at all. Of course Justin and such will still do way better cause they got experience in all those. But say people that only really played sf4... nah they are gonna be confused for a while til it clicks.

And that's what I mean the whole time. I know SFxT is stylistically very different from SF4. But SF4 players will at the very least will know what all SF characters normals look like and how they work for the most part.

lol bronson will be fine... you guys just don't know.

If you were referring to me I didn't mean to imply anything bad. I just don't see anybody dominating on this show since they made sure to not include the strongest players in the Capcom side of the current FGC.

You don't want the community to grow?

If the community has to go through a 2nd castration to get there then fuck no. That whole 09 fiasco still leaves me a bit bewildered at how that shit all ended up. But a lot of that was the us as a community being a bit stuck to our ways and a lot of the new generation wanting instant respect and gratification that the OG's weren't just going to hand out. A new boom however really wouldn't matter because the FGC is designed to handle it now. How it's being handled is another conversation in itself however. So as someone who loves the FGC like nobody's business I welcome one and all but I never want to see another 09 fiasco as long as I'm here. And SRK isn't the beast that it once was. All the scary folks live in peace in GD now. So it's relatively safe to talk shop seeing as you can't be neg-bombed into oblivion anymore. Rep Bar...R.I.P!!!

Vice

As for Bronson, he may be a legend, but I don't see him dominating even if he wins the whole thing. Like we've seen with others, no matter how good you are in previous game or other series, it's going to take a lot of time to adjust to a new one. BAS still looks clueless sometimes when playing SF4 even though he's been playing for months now. And this isn't SF4, but if you have a lot of experience in SF4 you're going to have some what of a headstart in SFxT compared to the other players who have little to no SF4 experience.

The thing is Bronson is about as good of a player, of fighting game in general, as Justin Wong or Ricky.

Top Bottom