• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom expects Marvel to sell 2 million, RE7 2M more, has major unannounced title

Zedark

They're expecting whatever title it is to ship over 2m units in Japan, that's not either the games you mention.

Edit - but then they're expecting 6+m sales in West with only about 3.5m of those from mvc and resi7....hmm
Maybe bringing MHXX over and doing a decently Quick localisation of MH5? Although you would expect explicit mention of MHXX for the West in that case...

KingBroly

Banned
Marvel Vs. Capcom has more hype than SF and SFV still sold a bit over 1 mil. So yeah 500K-700k is actually lowballing.

The damage has been done to Capcom's fighting game reputation with SF5. It's going to take a lot to earn back player trust, assuming they're willing to give Capcom another chance. You'll see the Pros buy multiple versions because the online will be separate now, but won't make that much of a difference in the end. MVC:I has to be everything and more or else it will falter where SFV did, but for entirely different reasons since they're taking the standard Capcom approach to it at first glance.

Sesha

The slide that shows they expect to ship 2.75m units in japan. Mvc, usf2 and res7 will ship a couple hundred thousand at most, so only one ip can do that much in japan for them.

capcomfy17349ug8.png

Am I reading that wrong? From what I can see there's nothing that suggests those numbers are entirely from a new title. From what I can tell Capcom expects to ship 2.750m units total, which seemingly includes already published titles if you look at the breakdown at the bottom of the presentation.

Neonep

For those that think the unannounced title is MH then what do you think Itsuno is going to announce this year? He doesn't work on MH games.

Renekton

The damage has been done to Capcom's fighting game reputation with SF5. It's going to take a lot to earn back player trust, assuming they're willing to give Capcom another chance.
In that case why Disney Marvel even okayed this project in the first place 😐

They already making mobile money.

JayEH

For those that think the unannounced title is MH then what do you think Itsuno is going to announce this year? He doesn't work on MH games.

just because he announces something doesn't mean it will be out within the time frame listed.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They will ship 2 million, that's for sure. Sell? Doubtful depend on when they expect to sell that by.

jonno394

I see. I missed that part for some reason. Thanks. From what I can see there's nothing that suggests those numbers are entirely from a new title. From what I can tell Capcom expects to ship 2.750m units total, which seemingly includes already published titles.

Already published titles will get new shipments of close to zero in japan. Mhxx might get another shipment but not a large one, a couple hundred thousand (media create regulars will be able to better predict this number then me), add mvc and usf2 and still, thats 2m unaccounted for shipments.

I'm guessing a worldwide release of mhxx for switch this financial year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Am I reading that wrong? From what I can see there's nothing that suggests those numbers are entirely from a new title. From what I can tell Capcom expects to ship 2.750m units total, which seemingly includes already published titles if you look at the breakdown at the bottom of the presentation.

What are you expecting to hit 2.75 million units in Japan out of what's announced?

Resident Evil 7 is done selling in the region. Marvel might do 100K-150K being generous. Ace Attorney could do a few hundred thousand, and there might be a few hundred thousand left in Monster Hunter XX.

Even if we assume a few other throwaway games, they would seemingly need at least 1.5 - 2 million out of a singular unannounced title in Japan.

Sesha

just because he announces something doesn't mean it will be out within the time frame listed.

It would have to be a title announced at TGS or, more likely, PSX then, because otherwise it would be at odds with recent Capcom behavior regarding announcement-to-release windows.

rhandino

Banned
2 million for Marvel vs Capcom sounds about right.

And for the other title it is clear that Capcom is hoping to infuse new life in the Japanese market by finally releasing deep down. How generous of them.

Eccocid

With huge character rooster how come Capcom still doesn't have its own gatcha mobile game? They can pull characters from SF, RE, DMC, Megaman etc....

I believe in these numbers with Marvel VS Capcom, even after SFV poor launch...

The game will be out and getting DLC characters in time with marketing for Avengers: Infinity Wars movie, people will be hunger for this content.

Perfect timing for this game!

2 for marvel should be achievable. 3 did in the low 2s before the first Avengers movie came out.

Even perennial Gaf punching bag SFV managed to do 1.5 units.

Sesha

What are you expecting to hit 2.75 million units in Japan out of what's announced?

Resident Evil 7 is done selling in the region. Marvel might do 100K-150K being generous. Ace Attorney could do a few hundred thousand, and there might be a few hundred thousand left in Monster Hunter XX.

Even if we assume a few other throwaway games, they would seemingly need at least 1.5 - 2 million out of a singular unannounced title in Japan.

I expected a combination of titles to add up. The main thing that makes me wonder is MHXX given the late release (even assuming sales are front-loaded), as well as projected sales being up in Europe and down in Japan. There might be numbers that demonstrate MH sales are usually front-loaded to be the case. But you both present strong arguments and I'm inclined to agree.

Cuburt

Say they are going to promote multiplatform development for the Switch, have 0 multiplatform games announced for the system.

Why not MvC:I?

Eolz

2M is what I was expecting for MvC as well. It has a bigger mainstream appeal than SFV, is multiplat, and has Disney support.

And yeah, the major title is MonHun. I love DMC too, but come on, that's not a major title of that level for Capcom, and DD2 is actually DDO.

Akiller

It would have to be a title announced at TGS or, more likely, PSX then, because otherwise it would be at odds with recent Capcom behavior regarding announcement-to-release windows.

MvCI is releasing almost a year after its reveal so that behavior doesnt mean that much.

Monster Hunter but not a mainline is a possibility. Or on different platforms like PS4 and SW instead of 3DS.

How are they going to sell 2m extra of RE7?
It's already out on every platform

Games don't just stop selling after the first few months lol
RE7 will have a rerelease as well most likely for the DLC.

duckroll

I think there will be a Monster Hunter port for Switch and/or PS4 which they expect to sell over a million of. I think they will also announce more titles throughout the year, some of which they expect ~500k from. One of those will be the new big title. The big title will not be a JP focused thing like MonHun, but could be a new worldwide IP. They probably expect RE7/DD numbers from it in Japan, but not > million. There are also things to consider like budget/GOTY/expansion re-releases for stuff like MHS and RE7.

Yeah I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Sorry. It's Capcom.

Pro-tip: They expect to ship 2.75 million copies of video games in Japan this year, yet Marvel and Resident Evil 7 will ship about zero.

I think you would have to guess a Monster Hunter title at the extreme end of March?
A port of XX for Switch won't sell that much - it'd be extremely lucky if it sold 1 million. Not everyone will double dip. XX for 3DS theoretically has another 300-500k in it.

So MH5 for 3DS in March 2018 it is!

Sesha

MvCI is releasing almost a year after its reveal so that behavior doesnt mean that much.

Since SFV was announced no major title (and most if not all minor titles) has released over a year after its announcement, aside from RE2 Remake which is a special case. Infinite's ten months is on the longer end, but it's still consistent with it. They could go over a year on any near future title but I don't expect them to.

Itsuno tweet makes non-DMC5 announcement nearly impossible, it's time people accept real Dante is back.

He said this year, so it could be announced at TGS or PSX and release after March.

With those numbers it can't be Switch exclusive, probably 3DS version again.
If MH5 or whatever releases in March like XX, Switch should have sold around 6 million units in Japan by then, going by how crazy they are for it.

1.5 million copies sold first week, plus another 500k or so through the rest of March is easy for MH.

Please be Dragons Dogma 2.

Honestly this and MoHun on PS4.... I just don't think it'll happen with Capcom at this point. Massive budgeted projects just doesn't seem like something that is viable for them right now, unfortunately. They blew their wad last gen and are now pretty conservative about their spending

duckroll

If Capcom is only expecting 2.75 million unit sales in Japan for retail titles, it's not going to be a single 2 million title. There are going to be more announcements throughout the year, they're not going to literally release nothing but one "big" title. Look at the US and Europe sales as well. They are expecting to outperform the previous year. So the MAJOR title they're talking about is something on the same level as RE7 as a worldwide title.

Yes, there will be annual MH shit, but it won't be MH5 or the expectations will be much higher.

The only non-MH or RE properties, or the ones I can think of, that Capcom have that could do decent numbers in Japan would have to be mainline Ace Attorney (300-500k) and Devil May Cry (300-500k). Maybe they're resurrecting Mega Man Battle Network.

USF2 will be lucky to pass 50k, let alone sniff at 100k.

Maybe RE2 Remake is coming out this year. Easy 500k on PS4, maybe more. Xbone is dead there. Maybe a Switch port.

duckroll

The only non-MH or RE properties, or the ones I can think of, that Capcom have that could do decent numbers in Japan would have to be mainline Ace Attorney (300-500k) and Devil May Cry (300-500k). Maybe they're resurrecting Mega Man Battle Network.

- MH port (~1 million)
- New Big Title (~500k)
- RE7 GOTY Edition (~200k)
- MHS Expansion Re-release (~300k)
- RE2make (~500k)
- MvC:I (~200k)

There's your JP forecast right there. Remember these are shipment expectations.

Top Bottom