• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sure is having a rough E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine your core community tearing through MHW's content, finding only a select handful of monsters to fight, and then all transitioning back to/straight to MHXX. What if you had long-term DLC plans? Freemium plans? Or other monetization plans? MHXX is a shot in the kneecaps as it, potentially, offers a huge content pool for less money and with no long-term planned monetization.

I'm gonna be honest. Right now Capcom's core community isn't the people who today say they are gonna buy MH:W. Their core community are the people that actually put down real money and bought the products they actually released. So this talking point is just saying that the people who supported them before dont matter. No matter how hard you try to dress it up that is what you are saying.

RPGamer92

Banned
I think Monster Hunter World looks fantastic. Seems like the logical next step up for the series. But MvCI and MHXX... yeah.

Giga Man

You forgot how people are also roasting Capcom for Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 not coming to the Switch (at least currently). People are pretty peeved at them for that too.

If they're smart, Capcom will re-release an all-in-one Mega Man collection ranging from MM1-MM10 & Bass, MMV, and the bonus game Mega Man: 2: The Power Fighters... That way, I can stop claiming that Mega Man Anniversary Collection is still the superior bundle.

Vena

I'm gonna be honest. Right now Capcom's core community isn't the people who today say they are gonna buy MH:W. Their core community are the people that actually put down real money and bought the products they actually released. So this talking point is just saying that the people who supported them before dont matter. No matter how hard you try to dress it up that is what you are saying.

Yes. I know. But that was Capcom's decision, not mine.

The MHW reactions were because of that 4chan rumor that's gotten a ton of shit wrong. People assumed that anything not explicitly shown in the trailer was going to be casual crap. Even now with more info, people cling to it so they can believe in a MHSwitch that means they don't need to buy a PS4/XB1/PC.

The decision not to localize MHXX is boneheaded and they deserve every ounce of criticism they get for it.

Ten_Fold

Everyone seems to like MH which might be the only series capcom hasn't messed up, I think if mvci's online is bad then R.i.p

Yes. I know. But that was Capcom's decision, not mine.

I've read a bunch of people trying to pretend this isn't Capcom being garbage. If you are cool with it that's fine. But we don't need it spun into Capcom being victims and we are the salty ones lol.

Vena

The MHW reactions were because of that 4chan rumor that's gotten a ton of shit wrong. People assumed that anything not explicitly shown in the trailer was going to be casual crap. Even now with more info, people cling to it so they can believe in a MHSwitch that means they don't need to buy a PS4/XB1/PC.

The decision not to localize MHXX is boneheaded and they deserve every ounce of criticism they get for it.

Capcom cut that shitty E3 trailer themselves, they have no one else but themselves to blame if people came out of it confused. It did them no favors that that 4chan rumor has made the rounds the world over at this point, and a lot of what they showed initially could easily have been aligned to the rumor.

They cut a bad trailer, the well was already tainted, and it just went off from there. They went into full PR control afterwards trying to get correct info out as fast as possible, which was good, but then proceeded to nuke themselves from orbit with the idiotic tweets surrounding MHXX, which was bad.

I am starting to think their PR is run by two different people who hate one another.

I've read a bunch of people trying to pretend this isn't Capcom being garbage. If you are cool with it that's fine. But we don't need it spun into Capcom being victims and we are the salty ones lol.

My larger point was that they are victims of market realities settling in, the rest of it is their own stupidity. But they had no way of knowing the PS4 would tank in Japan, they didn't know the 3DS would refuse to die, etc.

NotLiquid

Of course they weren't, the point is that it's nothing new for Capcom so there's no point in being surprised or pissed off.

There's plenty of point in being pissed off when the landscape of games and fan support have changed a lot since then and Capcom refuses to get on the ball and change themselves. If anything they've gotten worse.

No one who's actually gotten their hands on the vs demo seems down on it, all I see is a lot of shit about it's graphics which are awful but it won't matter if it plays well. Oh wait I guess those are just shills.

I mean, I played the demo. I had fun with it. I also had fun with Street Fighter V. At their core, they're good games to play. But that's not really an excuse for how they're essentially putting in the bare minimum necessary for these titles. There's so many compromises that when something as incredible as DBZF rears it's head, it kind of highlights how much better MvCI could have been if they put in the elbow grease to make the game something truly worth celebrating.

Capcom cut that shitty E3 trailer themselves, they have no one else but themselves to blame if people came out of it confused. It did them no favors that that 4chan rumor has made the rounds the world over at this point, and a lot of what they showed initially could easily have been aligned to the rumor.

They cut a bad trailer, the well was already tainted, and it just went off from there. They went into full PR control afterwards trying to get correct info out as fast as possible, which was good, but then proceeded to nuke themselves from orbit with the idiotic tweets surrounding MHXX, which was bad.

I am starting to think their PR is run by two different people who hate one another.

Yup, and no one can claim that Capcom wouldn't know about leaks like these. Capcom is one of the leakiest companies in the gaming business and are notoriously terrible at handling PR. If MHW's initial reveal had people skeptical, that's on them.

Ferrio

Banned
You think most people creaming themselves over DBFZ have played one second of Guilty Gear? P.s. good luck playing an ArcSys fighter for the first time newbs.

This lol, I'm sure many people will drop DBZ after one day, even P4Arena which is Arcsys most casual friendly fighting game makes games like SF and tekken seem like a joke when it comes to learning curve.

This such a bad attitude toward fresh blood to the FGC. If a DBZ license gets people to learn a complex fighter then that's great. We should be encouraging them not belittling them.

Xiao Hu

Capcom is pretty much hit or miss these days. For every good thing they produce they somehow mess up two other. It would be interesting to know who or what exactly is responsible for this behaviour.

cordy

Banned
No one who's actually gotten their hands on the vs demo seems down on it, all I see is a lot of shit about it's graphics which are awful but it won't matter if it plays well. Oh wait I guess those are just shills.
elrqGCM.gif

Negaduck

I think if they showed that new characters trailer instead of the story trailer the reception would have been world's better.

Dahbomb

I am a pretty casual MH fan, MHW looks alright but that trailer didn't do it justice... barely showed any combat. The information they gave afterwards looks alright, I am a bit interested in that game.

MHXX not being localized is typical Capcom boneheaded decision unless it involved some kind of money hats. Capcom these days has been swimming in money hats from all sorts of places so it wouldn't even surprise me.

MvCI looks rough and people are calling Capcom on it. The game would not be received as bad if SFV/SFxT weren't a thing and DBZ didn't exist. People would've given the game the benefit of the doubt but we are at a point where if the game doesn't impress then it's wack. The game play and mechanics are fine but it's struggling with everything else.

Capcom is having a rough E3 because they are making rough decisions. They earned what was coming to them.

Taker666

Monster Hunter looks amazing though,

Does it really though?

I was honestly more impressed with the animation and look of the T Rex in Super Mario Odyssey than the Monster Hunter creatures they showed.

I thought it looked pretty generic visually, it didn't really pop much. It was certainly a step up from the 3DS games (although I personally preferred their more colourful palette)..but next to other big PS4 releases it looked quite average in the graphics department.

Ridley327

I think the rumor combined with the MHXX news is what's really clouding the perception of World right now, even as it doesn't deserve most of it. That's why it's really frustrating to see people chalk it up as simply console wars, since the issue runs much deeper than that.

kc44135

Yeah, I was expecting better from them this E3. Marvel looks bleh. I'm actually excited about Monster Hunter World though, as I intend to finally jump into the series with this one. I think it looks great, personally. However, they didn't bring the stuff I really wanted to see...
I was hoping for them to take the covers off of RE2make, so I'm disappointed. That was all I wanted. Just a short gameplay snippet so we could see which direction they've gone in with the game (REmake/ RE4/RE7).

Yep, this. Just wanted a snippet of gameplay, or hell, even just a statement from the Devs about the direction they're talking the game. Also, no RE7 DLC, no DMC 5, and no Dino Crisis 4 (I know this is never happening, but I still want it. :p ). :(

Negaduck

Also as someone who's always wanted to get into monster hunter, I thought the MHW trailer was hype as fuck and it being on ps4, I'll finally be able to hop on.

:tup:

As a side note the MH:World trailer was fucking garbage. But the stuff they have been showing since has looked and sounded really good. But I'm still out.

Dineren

Banned
I'm looking forward to playing MHW on my PC (maybe PS4 if I can convince some friends to buy it), but the decision not to localize MHXX is really irritating. MH is pretty much the perfect portable game for me and not getting that when apparently the previous entries have sold well is annoying.

The fact that they might localize it later doesn't really make me much happier, I'm tired of localization announcements being held hostage.

Shredderi

That new DBZ game looks bonkers visually. It's on some GGxrd shit. It absolutely blows MvC:I out of the water in that department. It makes a strong first impression and looks genuinely good. People don't have to try to come up with other things that look good in the game in order to paint the game in good light. It just straight up looks good and it's easy to get excited for that. With MvC:I looking so bad visually you have to try to think about other good things to say about it in order to sustain excitement for it.

Ferrio

Banned
People can't even handle being grabbed in ARMS. Fighting games just put a major portion of people off.

While true, putting them down before they've even tried isn't going to help. If they fail and leave let them, they don't need additional gloating beforehand.

On the real, if you think how a game plays is the thing that matters in a video game in 2017 then shit, God bless.

I mean, isnt it, at least a large part? Lots of games that aren't as impressive visually, such as Minecraft or Rocket League, have done better than games whose primary selling point was their graphics.

MH Worlds will sell on the backbone of its transition to new gameplay philosophies, not on how it looks compared to Horizon.

Destiny 2 so far looks graphically behind Anthem, but I doubt in the end that will matter when it comes to total sales.

Finally, Nintendo games. Yes, their games are quirky looking with a unique art direction, but they sell primarily based on the publisher's ability to craft very tight gameplay experiences.

timberger

Really? You seem to have mistaken the anger most Nintendo fans have at the non localisation of MHXX to the reception of MHW.

I'm going mainly off of the MHW announce thread a couple of days before there was any indication of MHXX not being localised. Go check it out for yourself and see.

HeatBoost

MVCI looks like someone took a look at KOF14 and went "I bet we can get away with that"

Monster Hunter World looks... I dunno. My problem with MH go beyond the fact that it wasn't in HD. We'll see if they change the right things.

No localization for Double Cross

No localization for the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games (still)

Nothing shown of REmake 2

Nothing shown of the Chris DLC for 7

DMC5 remains a dream within a dream

Espada

Monster Hunter World is looking pretty good, but I agree that pretty much every other piece of media (like the Japanese trailer) or what folks saw at the show did a better job of showing the game off. That entry seems like a step forward for the series in a major way. Reception seems pretty warm outside of rabid traditionalists.

Now, MvC:I? There are no excuses for that.

The following fighting games have come out in the last 6 months:
Tekken 7 for consoles and PC.
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator Rev. 2
Injustice 2

All of these are great fighting games, catering to different segments of the fighting game genre. All of them have strong art directions to make the experience look as good as it plays. Hell, they have some of the most entertaining story modes the genre has seen as well.

And then we get to Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite. As many have noted, the game looks like a low budget affair. The models often compare poorly to the previous entry's, let alone its competitors in 2017. The artwork in general looks like it's been phoned in. The voice acting is really hit or miss, and much of the dialogue we've seen feels incredibly awkward or stilted. The story mode which they've said their focusing on looks like it's trying to be worse than SFV's.

And if that leaked roster is true we're getting a pretty poor cast to play with compared to the previous title.

What the hell is Capcom doing with MvC:Infinite!? Why is Marvel okay with their properties being introduced to newcomers in this way while WB drops jaws with Injustice?

crash-14

While true, putting them down before they've even tried isn't going to help. If they fail and leave let them, they don't need additional gloating beforehand.

The assumption those people are doing it's pretty stupid. Most people that will buy Fighterz won't play it online other than a few matches. They'll be in for the 1 player content. As long as that appealing, they won't care if the game it's to hard. The will just mash it out through story/arcade mode.

People @E3 are legit smiling while they play it as it was commented by Easy Allies. They also said it's the only game on the MS both that has long lines.

MechaX

This such a bad attitude toward fresh blood to the FGC. If a DBZ license gets people to learn a complex fighter then that's great. We should be encouraging them not belittling them.

That, and according to the impressions of Max and top FGC players, DBZ is actually pretty easy to pick up. The control scheme is very identical to Marvel, and it doesn't have nearly as many under the hood systems as GG/BB. So saying it is going to be some ultra impenetrable game even for casual players is very inaccurate at the moment.

cordy

Banned
I mean, isnt it, at least a large part? Lots of games that aren't as impressive visually, such as Minecraft or Rocket League, have done better than games whose primary selling point was their graphics.

MH Worlds will sell on the backbone of its transition to new gameplay philosophies, not on how it looks compared to Horizon.

Destiny 2 so far looks graphically behind Anthem, but I doubt in the end that will matter when it comes to total sales.

Finally, Nintendo games. Yes, their games are quirky looking with a unique art direction, but they sell primarily based on the publisher's ability to craft very tight gameplay experiences.
Reread my post I edited it. I put "only" thing that matters.

ShinAmano

Monster Hunter World is looking pretty good, but I agree that pretty much every other piece of media (like the Japanese trailer) or what folks saw at the show did a better job of showing the game off. That entry seems like a step forward for the series in a major way. Reception seems pretty warm outside of rabid traditionalists.

Now, MvC:I? There are no excuses for that.

The following fighting games have come out in the last 6 months:
Tekken 7 for consoles and PC.
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator Rev. 2
Injustice 2

All of these are great fighting games, catering to different segments of the fighting game genre. All of them have strong art directions to make the experience look as good as it plays. Hell, they have some of the most entertaining story modes the genre has seen as well.

And then we get to Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite. As many have noted, the game looks like a low budget affair. The models often compare poorly to the previous entry's, let alone its competitors in 2017. The artwork in general looks like it's been phoned in. The voice acting is really hit or miss, and much of the dialogue we've seen feels incredibly awkward or stilted. The story mode which they've said their focusing on looks like it's trying to be worse than SFV's.

And if that leaked roster is true we're getting a pretty poor cast to play with compared to the previous title.

What the hell is Capcom doing with MvC:Infinite!? Why is Marvel okay with their properties being introduced to newcomers in this way while WB drops jaws with Injustice?
I don't get the marvel side of this...how are they not kicking shit in at capcom?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
To me it looks like they took Marvel vs Capcom, made the characters shiny and plopped them into a new game that looks no different then past MvsC games. Capcom hasn't evolved the game after all of these years, but perhaps that's to please the diehard fighting game fans? As a casual fighting game fan I've noted before how much better Injustice 2 looks with its over the top moves. I mean, these are supposed to be super beings fighting right?

Monster Hunter World looks great, and I'm glad they're finally making a Monster Hunter that might appeal to me. I hope it does extremely well for them.

MVC:I is also ugly as hell. Holy. I was looking at HD screens of Tasunoko vs Capcom with my friend and we couldn't believe how much better it looked. Marvel 3 looks way better than this shit too. And that story mode. Is this real life?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Are people not reading my post.
I even say MHW looks fine (but there is some backlash) and that I'm sad to see MVC getting shit on so hard (even though I want it to be better).

You make it sound like I went "Capcom E3 sucked because no Dino Crisis was there"

The basis of the thread is that Capcom is having a "rough E3."

Their only issue is that people are shitting on MvC's art style. Everything else is just a minority of gamers upset over random things, which happens to every company.

geflo

Neo Member
Monster Hunter is a great series - not sure if there is any hate for it except that there is no plans to bring the Switch version of Monster Hunter XX over yet.

MvC:I character faces some of them look good but the more popular ones from previous games came out horrible (Chun-Li and Dante) and playing the Story Demo didn't help out that much (it was cheesy, but that cheesiness makes me laugh). The biggest disappointment for the game is the overall rumor on how Marvel is handling the licensing for the characters (forcing MCU and excluding Xmen for DLC) which is totally reasonable for those who grow up with the Marvel fighting series. Gameplay wise though, it looks great between how the gems + switching + specials all occur and intertwine to create openings.

Side note DBZ Fighters does look great and might be the first DBZ game I buy at launch since Budokai for the Wii.

I'm on the "Will buy Monster Hunter World" camp, but dammit I want to ALSO play MH on the go.

XX was going to be my first MH game where I didn't have to play with a virtual D-Pad. (2DS) Now I'm stuck without it until World. And that fucking sucks.

It's not about console wars, dammit. I just want portable MH.

Also, yeah. I'm going with DBZ unless they fix some of Mahvel's control and gameplay. Some of those characters feel OFF.

Monster Hunter World looks great imo & I've seen quite a few really positive reactions to it.
Kinda feels like the backlash is mostly coming from diehard fans of the series or Nintendo & I have no idea if it's justified since I haven't really played much Monster Hunter before. I'm definitely interested in getting Worlds though

MvC does look kinda bad - particularly some of the characters, but it's not a game I'd be interested in anyway.

TreIII

I'm on the "Will buy Monster Hunter World" camp, but dammit I want to ALSO play MH on the go.

THIS THIS THIS.

I've warmed up to World over the last few days, and hoping the showcase on the 20th will cement my purchase. But it's no replacement for the very thing that got me into this brand in the first place: Portability.

Im am in the #WhynotBOTH camp when it comes to the XX topic and I was very pumped to play it this year on Switch

MHW blew me away though and Im all about moving on to Gen 5

Still its a shame that I dont have MH on a portable device. I hope they come around fast. I dont know how much Time I would put into XX with MHW around

Raitaro

MVCI looks like someone took a look at KOF14 and went "I bet we can get away with that"

Monster Hunter World looks... I dunno. My problem with MH go beyond the fact that it wasn't in HD. We'll see if they change the right things.

No localization for Double Cross

No localization for the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games (still)

Nothing shown of REmake 2

Nothing shown of the Chris DLC for 7

DMC5 remains a dream within a dream

Good summary, though I actually liked MH:W's footage, just not the fact that it is skipping Switch and in turn might lead to no more MH games on Switch even though Nintendo owners waited for years of 3DS releases to get some console love. MVC:I looks a bit tame perhaps but not really bad either imo (and the comparison with DBZ as often made is a bit weird imo as those games all use Toriyama's art instead of adopting a brand new art style like the Marvel games).

Apart from the above, I'm mostly disappointed they did not announce a new Mega Man (X, as rumored) game for Switch, or anything Mega Man beyond the collection. They would earn so much goodwill back in one swoop if they'd release a good, in-house developed Mega Man game that either builds upon and updates the foundation laid by MM (X) or that reboots the series in 3D in a way that is closer to those old games (again, if done well). A new Dino Crisis would also have been appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom