• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sure is having a rough E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Banned
MvC:I seems like it plays well going by the combofiend video, which is good.

Good god I hope they fix the shaders and models or whatever the fuck is going on in that game though.

I've been playing alot of Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 lately. Stopped to try out the story demo for Marvel Vs Capcom. PASSSSSSSSS

It may have been considered decent if two awesome fighting games had not just come out.

MvC:I seems like it plays well going by the combofiend video, which is good.

Good god I hope they fix the shaders and models or whatever the fuck is going on in that game though.
They won't, they still haven't fixed the clipping on Rashid or Ken's versus screen face. How the game looks now will be 99% how it will look at release.

redcrayon

Well, yes, this is cannibalizing.

There's a large subset of the population that likely would prefer mobility and, if offered, would just not buy into the other product at all. (This is likely still true anyway but Capcom is likely expecting/hoping you to pick up the console version instead because you don't have an option. *You* here being generic.)

And then, imagine, if MHW (I mean, this is probably flat-out guaranteed) starts introducing freemium options: skins, currencies, unlocks, loot boxes, etc. If people bought MHXX instead of MHW, they are now entirely removed from a potential extended revenue source for Capcom.

But, again, as I said in my edit, this audience in the west on handhelds didn't exist when they greenlit this project. In many ways, this isn't a project for them or, at least, did not consider them when it was started.
That is pretty much me, really. I only really have the time to play long RPGs on portables, but even if I wanted to buy a PS4 and PS+ and had the time to play MHW, I have zero interest in the AAA 'initial premium price + IAP/games-as-a-service' business model.

Localising XX wouldn't stop me from buying another game I wasn't going to buy in the first place, all it means is I'll have to sit out the games for a few years and find something else to play.

I wonder if they'll give up support with the XB1 and PS4 if MVCI fails *rolls eyes*

Capcom has been making so many dumb decisions. I used to love going to Capcom unity's site. And actually bought a ton of stuff off their site.

I wonder if they'll give up support with the XB1 and PS4 if MVCI fails *rolls eyes*

Capcom has been making so many dumb decisions. I used to love going to Capcom unity's site. And actually bought a ton of stuff off their site.

They really don't seem to know how to manage their IPs right now. Ever since SFV, it feels like they're flying by the seat of their pants and just hoping something sticks with RE7 being the sole exception of a well thought out and executed project.

They won't. MvCI is gonna have the tournament and FGC scene backing it just like SFV.

thelastword

Banned
MVCI looks blurry even on the PRO, aliasing is minimal though, but so much Chromatic Abberration...I wish this game was 4k sharp. I don't like it's blurry look atm.

MvC reminds me a lot of straight-to-DVD animated movies you would only see at the video store in their ailing days of the mid/late 2000s.

I kind of can't believe a game that looks like that is coming out this year.

MHW looks awesome though.

But I am not a veteran or even a fan of either series. So my opinion is mostly meaningless.

Monster Hunter World I think had a good reception for people who wanted to see the franchise branch out to home consoles again, but I feel the lack of any other substantial announcement along with the lackluster MvC:I showing did more harm elsewhere.

Wildo09

They just needed a Great Ace Attorney translation to win me over. I'm disappointed they will not be bringing XX, and that kind of sours my initial excitement for World.

tbm24

I warmed up on MvC I visually after playing the demo some. It looks better in motion, however I'm hoping they add something more visually as I don't think it has an identity like 3 did. Gameplay wise it's looking pretty great.

MH World I'm looking forward to. What I want is a MegaMan game for Switch. Or some Capcom arcade classics in Switch like Neo Geo is doing.

Morokh

The only thing people really are talking 'badly' about is how Monster Hunter seems to be a very Binary series, where having a new entry on some platforms immediately disqualifies some others from a new entry.

Other than that things seem rather positive since we got more details.

mas8705

Going to borrow the OP's main pic since this does help to summarize the three problems that Capcom is running into at the immediate moment.

img_2452d2ubo.jpg

First off, I wonder if MvC:I would still be getting the amount of hate it is getting had Dragon Ball FighterZ not been shown off. Yeah, the game still has a ways to go before it gets released later this year, but from early impressions, it has left alot to be desired. That said though, you suddenly have Dragon Ball FighterZ that was shown at the Microsoft Conference and how stylized that looked. So much so that alot of people who reacted to the trailer were jumping up and yelling "MARVEL!" as if Infinite didn't exist. That had to have hurt Capcom a good sum when at E3, people are more hyped at an anime fighter than a long running series that gets people hyped just by saying "When Marvel?" Still, I'm hopeful that we'll still see some nice additions to the game still in terms of the roster (although the leaked roster being real is still going to leave me sore).

Next we have Monster Hunter World. Honestly, the moment I saw it, I was hyped as all hell, and even more hyped to find out that it is coming to Xbox One and PC. I would even go as far as to say that MHW would be my reason for getting an XBox One X (with DBFighterZ) since the game looked amazing in motion. The problem here is that it tied in with the last problem: MHXX and the lack of an announcement. Bare in mind that would it have been smart to have announced Monster Hunter World & Monster Hunter XX at the exact same time? Hard to say... Main reason being is that you have a game that people have been waiting while also telling them that the next game in the series won't be on their console. You would have people undermining one game for the other and it leads to a case where we are now. Only difference here is Capcom's wonderful way of telling people with "It ain't happening at this time" (paraphrasing).

Alot of people had their hopes held high that E3 would be the announcement for a western release, and to some, it got thrown under a bus to announce World instead (which honestly, people should still be excited for since this is the first time MH is getting a world wide release instead of it starting in Japan and then going west several months later). I'm in hopes that we will get an announcement later, but it does feel like MHXX won't get "confirmed" until after World drops. Still, if we see that MHXX gets confirmed westbound at Gamescom or even the Tokyo Game Show, I accept that with open arms.

Wood Man

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite poor choice of a name.

Would've preferred a MvC2 approach and make it a huge all-star line-up. This just seems like two steps back with some tacky story slapped on. I see a lot of MCU pressure.

ArjanN

Not really.

MCVI looks fine during gameplay. Just because DBZ looks great people want to create drama, but to me that just means I get to play two fighting games.

Also, to me the only people down on MHW seem to be people who want MH on a handheld and die-hards who fear change.

DR2K

Banned
Not really.

MCVI looks fine during gameplay. Just because DBZ looks great people want to create drama, but to me that just means I get to play two fighting games.

Also, to me the only people down on MHW seem to be people who want MH on a handheld and die-hards who fear change.

They released a gameplay demo and it sucked, so that doesn't help

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Sorry but no. Niche ass Japanese RPGs with tons of text that struggle to sell 50k units get localized for the West all the time. You trying to sit here and tell me a series where the last 2 games sold 1.5 and ~1 million units in the west in which half of the game was already localized in the base release wont make money? Nope. Please don't imply this has anything to do with making money. It doesn't.

Then what would it be about if not money? Do you think Sony incentivized them to not bring MHXX to the west? If so that'd be detrimental to them, because that leads to less exposure in the West before MHW drops which is bad for both Sony and Capcom. I'm eager to hear what you think it's about if not money.

tribal24

Banned
Not really.

yup the agenda is strong with mvc i and dbf fighter drama.

I'm excited for World but the biggest problem here is for XX on Switch. We know its coming out in Japan. We know that they have World coming out next year. I (and other MH fans) know there's a lot of text translations involved, but we've heard before that the teams are able to do it near simultaneously now to close the gap on releases in Japan and other countries.

To outright not talk about it at all (after all, its coming out like..very soon in Japan?) and then kind of do damage control on it is kind of shitty. Outright saying "No we're not going to" would be better than "we don't have anything to say at this time". Because if there's a chance, hell yeah I want it on the Switch.

If I was a huge fan and have been playing the series since it came here on Nintendo systems I'd be pissed. I'm still a little salty even though I plan to get an Xbox One now.

The lack of communication has hurt them and I think it all stems from Monster Hunter. The series has been very welcome over here, and if World doesn't come out in the first 3 months of 2018 then Capcom can fuck right off. There's no reason to not have XX come out on the Switch this year/early next year and then put out World after that. The audiences and gameplay are vastly different.

Tinfoil hat theory? I joked around with my friends that it'd be kind of hilarious if Sony worked out some deal with Capcom to not release XX in the West or port World/MvCI onto the Switch just because they wanted to be super petty with Nintendo for some reason. It fit into the narrative of why Rocket League and Minecraft are mysteriously absent from cross platform play on PS4; its literally because Sony doesn't want Nintendo players to interact with Sony players. Now obviously this is just a joke but there has to be some underlying reason here why Capcom would do this.

Fbh

Outside of GAF I've seen only possitive reactions to MH:W.
Not a fan of the franchise myself but every single MH fan I know sounds thrilled about the game comming to current gen consoles and PC. Saw lots of "this is what I wanted for so long" comments on social media.

MVC does look visually horrible though. Which hurts it even more so close to the great looking injustice which just released and the amazing looking Dragonball Z game which was just revealed.

Raitaro

They just needed a Great Ace Attorney translation to win me over. I'm disappointed they will not be bringing XX, and that kind of sours my initial excitement for World.

I agree.

Sometimes it seems as if Capcom is the only company where we still have to be glad for every game they do end up localizing. There always seems to be a risk that they suddenly won't do it, like now with MHXX and previously with the GAA games and AAI2. Makes me anxious and sad, honestly, especially when Nintendo, Squeenix, Bandai-Namco and even current Sega seemed to have left these practices behind them for the most part.

I'm excited for World but the biggest problem here is for XX on Switch. We know its coming out in Japan. We know that they have World coming out next year. I (and other MH fans) know there's a lot of text translations involved, but we've heard before that the teams are able to do it near simultaneously now to close the gap on releases in Japan and other countries.

For someone like me who hasn't played MHX (or any other MH game or their updated versions for that matter), could you give some insight into how much is new in XX in terms of story or text that needs translation? I would have assumed it's not that much if the focus is on new combat stuff, but I might be wrong.

NoKisum

I disagree with the sentiment of this thread. Mainly because, no matter how they speak about their current games, people will still buy them. A new MvC and MonHun on current gen consoles? Capcom is about to print money.

lyrick

I disagree with the sentiment of this thread. Mainly because, no matter how they speak about their current games, people will still buy them. A new MvC and MonHun on current gen consoles? Capcom is about to print money.

Just like they did with Street Fighter V.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Hopefully they use that money to fund other franchises like DMC5, DC4, DD2 and LP4.

jrDev

Never played a Monster Hunt game because of the systems they're on, but they have my interest with this one. That's 1 new customer they didn't have before. I doubt I'm the only one.
Pretty sure they lost customers too (most of the Japanese market) lol...
Not really.

Isn't the opposite true too? People who are happy about this are the ones that don't like the original gameplay and want it on a console.

DunpealD

Capcom and communication? If you followed SFV, then you know their communication doesn't amount to much.

MvCI aesthetic wise they deserve all the shit they get. How on earth did they greenlight that Chun Li and Dante?

No comment on MH. But it looks like they dropped the ball really hard with MH XX and Switch. Though it doesn't even surprise me anymore.

Fdkn

You have to be in a really deep echo chamber to think that MHW is getting backlash.

MvsCI looks like trash, but it seems the game is fun, so there's that.

Lothars

You make shit product and get called out for it seems fair. MvCI looks horrible compared to it's competition. If dbZ and injustice is a 59.99 game then mvc should retail for 19.99.
Lol I'm not surprised to see garbage like this posted by you, mvci demo was pretty good, I'd prefer a versus demo but enjoyed playing it with the story demo.

MvCI is not up to par to today's standards at all.

Where's my RE2make Capcom?

I don't think I've ever seen a community go from massive hype to complete apathy at a game like I've seen for MvCI. And it's well deserved too.
Its not well deserved at all, it seems like a majority of undeserved complaining.

cordy

Banned
You make shit product and get called out for it seems fair. MvCI looks horrible compared to it's competition. If dbZ and injustice is a 59.99 game then mvc should retail for 19.99.

It looks like a mod or something lol. Like somebody made a mod and threw the Capcom label on it.

Spman2099

I think you are off base... Monster Hunter is getting pretty high praise. I mean, Marvel looks awful, so that is a thing, but the Monster Hunter stuff seems to be doing well with the people (even if a few of the hardcore fans are in panic mode).

Capcom's in the position where now fans feel that they'll never release a Monster Hunter game in the west on the switch because we have multiplatform Monhun that's not on the switch now.

Ergo you're gonna have a lot of buthurt Ace attorney fans making a ruckus in the comments

If we have two lines of Monhun and portable never releases outside of japan, how do you think people are gonna feel about that?

It'd be like Persona being the only SMT brand that releases outside of japan.

andymcc

Banned
I was pretty lukewarm on MHW but reading impressions has changed my outlook on it. I'll definitely pick it up as most of my friends will but almost everyone I know is still bummed about MHXX being passed over.

MVCI is still ugly and that single-player demo isn't doing the game any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom