• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sure is having a rough E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

First off, I wonder if MvC:I would still be getting the amount of hate it is getting had Dragon Ball FighterZ not been shown off. Yeah, the game still has a ways to go before it gets released later this year, but from early impressions, it has left alot to be desired. That said though, you suddenly have Dragon Ball FighterZ that was shown at the Microsoft Conference and how stylized that looked. So much so that alot of people who reacted to the trailer were jumping up and yelling "MARVEL!" as if Infinite didn't exist. That had to have hurt Capcom a good sum when at E3, people are more hyped at an anime fighter than a long running series that gets people hyped just by saying "When Marvel?" Still, I'm hopeful that we'll still see some nice additions to the game still in terms of the roster (although the leaked roster being real is still going to leave me sore).

From day one Marvel vs Capcom Infinite had to go through an incredible amount of skepticism. Everyone was happy it existed for certain, but the fact that the game seemed to go for a more homogenized art style, the rumors of an MCU focus and the lack of X-Men/Mutants, 2v2 over 3v3 and eventually over 3 months of complete radio silence was worrying. With most people interested having finally played the actual game in some capacity I think people have come to terms with the fact that the game is mechanically sound and exciting in it's own way... but this is well after all the other news - the fact that the game looked hideous, that certain characters looked uglier than expected and lost a huge part of the charm/visual identity from Marvel 3, that the graphical interface is barely even a step above uninspired trite like Playstation All-Stars, that the starting character roster is incredibly uninspired, that it's looking like another Street Fighter V situation in terms of characters and yeah - people were already bitter.

People like Ryce were already proclaiming how awfully disappointing it was looking well before DBFZ got revealed. It just so happens that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not only was this a game made for huge fans of Dragon Ball (of which there are many) but with there never having been a proper competitively-viable Dragon Ball fighting game people were excited as hell. It has an incredible style that highlights the strengths of it's roots and characters. And a game developed by ArcSys who are perhaps the most technically prolific fighting game devs? Going all the way with a 3v3 set up with assists, DHCs and more? It simultaneously manages to be an original game while being the kind of 3v3 tag team fighter evolution I think most traditional Marvel fans would hope for.

I think both games are going to be great in their own way but I think most people just weren't ready to fully commit to voicing all their grievances about Infinite because for a long time we had to face the fact that this was essentially "better than nothing".

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Marvel does look like shit though so those complaining about that have a point. Does not really matter much if it plays well at this point since game isnt out. Its all about presentation and if that looks bad of course people are going to react.

MH on the other hand just had a poorly done "trailer / vid" which I have no idea why considering their marketing team for MH in general is pretty damned good at doing vids.

Its like they went and screwed the pooch trying to make the E3 footage appeal to the Western market or something.

JordanN

Banned
DCP3oijVwAAqNAp.jpg:large

Hey fam, what you want?
When I grow up, I want to see video games look just like PS1 FMVs
Say no more.

tbm24

As someone who only ever watched one episode of Dragoball ever, I have zero interest in that game.

How mainstream is DBZ?
I'd argue it's the most mainstream anime next to Pokemon in the US. When you leave the US, DBZ in Latin America is, or was when I was young anyway, extremely mainstream. I don't have a cousin who hasn't watched it and had their minds blown and shouts random DBZ lines at some point in their life.

I like MHW - I just hope it's not pay to play or mmo fees
MVC4 looks a bit off - but I'm just not excited for it and I'm not sure why,
it could be the look, the characters they went for- I dunno I'm over all confused.

Capcom didn't go down hill for me starting SFV - for me it was when I saw RE7 game play and overall presentation.

Parakeetman

As someone who only ever watched one episode of Dragoball ever, I have zero interest in that game.

How mainstream is DBZ?

Its pretty much known worldwide in terms of Japanese animation / manga.

Granted this is wikipedia data the manga has sold around 240 million copies worldwide to give you an example. Now if you add in all the other merchandise including anime, movies, music etc saw another piece of data from 2014 that it generated 5 billion in revenue.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't even imagine how many casual players will try something like the Marvel demo and be turned way off. The VA, cutscenes, presentation (abrupt, ugly loading while it ramps up into a fight) are miles behind the competition at this point.

Dartastic

They released a gameplay demo and it sucked, so that doesn't help
The demo didn't suck because of the gameplay though. It sucked because of the graphics, the health of the enemies, and the story being cheese as hell. If you're in it to battle other people, it's almost certainly going to be good.

MrCarter

The basis of the thread is that Capcom is having a "rough E3."

Their only issue is that people are shitting on MvC's art style. Everything else is just a minority of gamers upset over random things, which happens to every company.

The Capcom agenda is indeed warped right now with people jumping in on them from every nook and cranny. MvCi has aesthetic issues (so did KoF14) yet the narrative is that it will ruin everything about the game.

People are more disappointed with SFV than anything. SFV is like your friend who keeps fucking up but you stay friends with him. He can't get shit right but he's got a good soul.

I didn't say people went back to 2, people still bring it up all the time though as what "is Marvel", even though people didn't return it's still a major part of the series.

Which people? Even Tokido, one of the best SF players in the world, prefers SFV over SF4/3. Tekken 7 is hardly a shining example and still isn't considering the amount of time they had lol.

OP coming with the agenda because Capcom did not please them. MHW is one of the games getting the most buzz out of this E3. Japanese reaction is positive as well.

I haven't seen any negative reaction to MHW until I saw this thread. Most of YouTube and social media has been positive.

I think.....I think OP, you listened to far too many Nintendo fans on World and shaped this thread on that...but there is no negativity about that game from anyone besides switch owners. Other than that, it's been extremely positive everywhere else.

On MVCI, I've been hearing nothing but bad things about this....and then some good things. But I can't quiet tell if any of the criticisms or happiness is genuine or is being used in spite of the visa versa. So idk....

I'd argue it's the most mainstream anime next to Pokemon in the US. When you leave the US, DBZ in Latin America is, or was when I was young anyway, extremely mainstream. I don't have a cousin who hasn't watched it and had their minds blown and shouts random DBZ lines at some point in their life.

Pokémon has lots of movies, DBZ has none as fair as I know, at least I never hear of any like I do Pokémon. Is it a far, distant second?

I think.....I think OP, you listened to far too many Nintendo fans on World and shaped this thread on that...but there is no negativity about that game from anyone besides switch owners. Other than that, it's been extremely positive everywhere else.

On MVCI, I've been hearing nothing but bad things about this....and then some good things. But I can't quiet tell if any of the criticisms or happiness is genuine or is being used in spite of the visa versa. So idk....

You should go on facebook more lol

I think Capcom's stuff has been alright, but I'm really surprised that there was nothing on Resident Evil 7.

Figured the free DLC would've been close enough to show off.

Did you fully read the OP? Their main point about MH dealt with the fracas surrounding the lack of XX localization, they even noted that for the most part people have come to term and have accepted Worlds for what it is.

Because there's definitely a lot of negativity and disappointment regarding XX right now.

Parakeetman

Pokémon has lots of movies, DBZ has none as fair as I know, at least I never hear of any like I do Pokémon. Is it a far, distant second?

There has been about 19 theatrical releases for DBZ movies. Not sure how much higher the count goes if you also include TV specials or other whatnots.

Pokemon apparently has around 20 and other non theatrical content just like DBZ.

Did you fully read the OP? Their main point about MH dealt with the fracas surrounding the lack of XX localization, they even noted that for the most part people have come to term and have accepted Worlds for what it is.

Because there's definitely a lot of negativity and disappointment regarding XX right now,

Its gearing up to be the Resident Evil 4 of Monhun

RE4 backlash would have been even worse if it was a bad game and didnt go on to repalce the series previous format

Spman2099

I genuinely despise DBZ, but Dragon Ball Fighter Z clearly looks amazing.

Dragon Ball Z has a ton of movies. However, neither series ever had a really hugely successful movie in the west.

They are probably pretty close in popularity. It wouldn't be a distant second.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dragonball does not have more movies than Pokémon.

19 Dragonball movies versus 19 Pokémon movies, with one more being released next month. Dragonball is also about a decade older than Pokémon.

I genuinely despise DBZ, but Dragon Ball Fighter Z clearly looks amazing.

Dragon Ball Z has a ton of movies. However, neither series ever had a really hugely successful movie in the west.

They are probably pretty close in popularity. It wouldn't be a distant second.

I dunno. Has a DBZ movie ever had a wide theater release in the West? Because Pokémon has had several, and at least the first two made a lot of change in markets outside of Japan. Those first two even making top 10 grossing anime movies worldwide.

andymcc

Banned

There have only been two DBZ movies in the last five years.

There's a currently airing anime series which probably pulls in better viewership numbers in Japan and through streams than the current Pokemon anime.

I dunno. Has a DBZ movie ever had a wife theater release in the West? Because Pokémon has had several, and at least the first two made a lot of change in markets outside of Japan.

Both of the last two DBZ movies did. BoG had a pretty wide release and RoF had a much bigger wide release and it did very well for a limited engagement screening (it was a one week thing iirc).

Then what would it be about if not money? Do you think Sony incentivized them to not bring MHXX to the west? If so that'd be detrimental to them, because that leads to less exposure in the West before MHW drops which is bad for both Sony and Capcom. I'm eager to hear what you think it's about if not money.

It's Capcom wanting to funnel all their players to consoles in the west and basically saying fuck you to their previous supporters. They don't want anyone to buy handheld MH or have to answer to that base so they are just giving them the finger. Yes it's dumb. No the reason is not money of localization. If you think you need 1 million units to justify a localization you're insane.

They're having it rough from the Backlash of no English XX Announcement, and MvCI's roster being poop and game looking extremely lacking compared to MvC3.

MHW looks cool, but screw that game because it's not a new Dragon's Dogma. xD

I am not fan of these franchises,but I really liked MHW,could be my entry in this universe.About Infinite,I can't say the same,even worse after the outstanding DBFZ

Raw64life

I played both MvC and DBZ at E3. Enjoyed both. Similar to how I still haven't bought SFV and won't until I can get $60 worth of content on the disc, I don't plan on getting MvC anytime soon. I'm also trying not to get too hyped for DBZ because we don't know what kind of DLC fuckery Namco could have up their sleeve for the game.

zenspider

?

Reactions about MH World are very good all around

Have you read the announcement thread? It's brutal!

Some fans might be coming around since some interviews came out that it's ostensibly MH5, but I think any warm reception is from people outside the fanbase - guess that's the point.

As someone who's bounced of Monster Hunter 1, Freedom Unite, and Tri within 5 hours, I thought it looked good enough to try to get into again. Honestly, I think the leak killed it.

Skab

The Marvel hate is laughable, especially when the response to the hands on demo at the show has been largely positive. Everything from how much better the game looks in person in the build theyre playing, to how fun the game is to play.Yet any time anyone says anything positive about it online/twitter/where ever the person saying the positive things gets accused of being a shill and their opinion gets swept under the rug.

People want to hate on it because its the cool thing to hate on at the moment.

Teletraan1

Banned
As someone who has never played Monster Hunter the gameplay shown got me interested in it. It wasn't until I read a bit of the thread on GAF that I saw a bunch of people tearing the game a new one. They are probably just existing fans not happy with the changes.

MvCI looks kinda rough. Chun Li looked hilarious. I will pick it up on sale or something.

Really? You seem to have mistaken the anger most Nintendo fans have at the non localisation of MHXX to the reception of MHW.
Nah, the original reveal thread had pages of "not the real MH, will get the real one on Switch"/spinoff talk. Not that MOST Nintendo fans feel that way, but there certainly was a presence in that thread.

Being a parent of a young kid I certainly don't have the time or money to dedicate to a ton of game playing. I can't justify the cost of buying a PS4 to play Monster Hunter Worlds. There really isn't anything else I'd play on PS4 anyways. I've managed to rack up a ton of hours on Monster Hunter 3, 4, and Generations thanks to it being portable. Lots of playing that in bed after everyone is asleep. At this point I'm not going to torture myself by watching any footage of Worlds as I have no means to play it. If Monster Hunter ever ends back up on a system I own such as the Swicth I'll be there day 1.

Shirke

By itself, there's nothing too wrong with MHW as the game itself, but they really should have showed off an actual hunt or some combat to alleviate concerns that it was being dumbed down. Now we're just getting good second-hand impressions from people who've seen the private demo, but really they should have just made videos available online like Nintendo.

The real kicker is that MHW isn't on the Switch and that the Switch and 3DS version of MHXX is seemingly not getting localized in favor of forcing the western fanbase to move over to MHW. Which is a big kick to the teeth of the MH fanbase was being built-up in the west thanks to efforts from Nintendo and Capcom.

Plus no portable option for MHW (AKA not on Switch) with no MHXX localization is disappointing for a huge selection of the fanbase that embraced the advantages portability brought for the series.

So it feels like Capcom is giving the Western and portable MH fanbase the shaft while trying to once again court the western console fanbase.

yurinka

The reaction to Monster Hunter World has been great.

The only problem with Capcom this E3 has been as always the toxic Capcom "fans", who always shit anything Capcom does.

Regarding XX Switch localization they didn't announced it for now, they may need some time and need help from Nintendo as always. It's disappointing but guess what, they always did this.

Yes, other fighting games (this time DBZ) look great but MvC may be great as the previous ones even if Chun face looks ugly.

MMLC2 is another port fest as always Capcom does.

People complaining about no DMC5 or Dragon's Dogma 2 shown? Guess what, Capcom never even hinted these games. We don't know if they even are developing them.

The typical stuff, nothing new or special to worry about. But people likes to complain. It's ike a competition to see who screams louder or makes the most hyperbolic complain about Capcom.

The reaction to Monster Hunter World has been great.

The only problem with Capcom this E3 has been as always the toxic Capcom "fans", who always shit anything Capcom does.

Pretty much.

Even then the general response to MvC:I has been more positive now that people have gotten to try it. Seems like more people are sold on it's gameplay but still questioning the visuals which -shrug-

btrboyev

I'm not sure which company ticked up more when there was a they were considered top tier at what they do. Capcom or Konami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom