• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Unannounced titles using Panta Rhei engine coming; fierce NA competition

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
And both DmC and DMC4 are still selling. Last 3 months they posted 100k sales each. DMC4 is at 3 million now!

Nice, just imagine a 1080p 60 fps DMC5 in this engine with glorious backdrops, crazy physics simulations, and the number of enemies on screen with Dantes move set. It would be insane <3

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
But it is an engine that Sony has helped them exploit on the PS4 with deep down. It's a really smart move on Sony's part as the MT Framework was more of a 360 engine and it showed with games running and looking better on that platform. So, getting to Capcom and having them build their next-gen engine with a PS4 exclusive was well done on Sony's part.

It is the same engine. Like MT Framework, all of their games will use it. I can't find anything that says Sony helped them with the engine though.. did they do something beyond typical support for 3rd parties?

Given that their first game using it is a F2P dungeon crawler and they don't appear to have any 2014 games I'm a bit worried that Capcom is going to bring their mobile game philosophy to console games, and don't see next gen consoles as a major cornerstone of their business model.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

But it is an engine that Sony has helped them exploit on the PS4 with deep down. It's a really smart move on Sony's part as the MT Framework was more of a 360 engine and it showed with games running and looking better on that platform. So, getting to Capcom and having them build their next-gen engine with a PS4 exclusive was well done on Sony's part.

And, I believe, that may have been the deal between them and Sony (and subsequently landed Sony the exclusive with Deep Down). But like any multiplatform engine, they are designed to exploit every strength and mitigate any weaknesses on a given platform.

Mesoian

Not sure what are you trying to say here. MH4 and MH4g are on 3ds and probably stay there.

I'm saying they should make a console port of Monster Hunter 4. I understand that there are two versions on the 3DS, they should make versions for the consoles as well, especially since there are no other hunter style games on these consoles yet.

It is the same engine. Like MT Framework, all of their games will use it. I can't find anything that says Sony helped them with the engine though.. did they do something beyond typical support for 3rd parties?

Given that their first game using it is a F2P dungeon crawler and they don't appear to have any 2014 games I'm a bit worried that Capcom is going to bring their mobile game philosophy to console games, and don't see next gen consoles as a major cornerstone of their business model.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

They mentioned that SCE helped them with this engine during the pre-tgs conference if I remember correctly.

DocSeuss

If I get this right:

A) Panta Rhei is not on PC (signalling Capcom moving away from PC?)

B) Their future PC games will be online-only.

Reallink

I'd caution you guys to consider Deep Down and what they've done with the Onimusha and BoF series in your expectations. They've shown their cards and I have an idea on disc DLC will seem a fart in the wind compared to the Paymium scams they have in store for their "traditional" packaged goods.

Mesoian

DmC was supposed to hit 2 million 10 months ago. DMC 4 surpassed its 1.8 million goal in it's first month.

True, but there's something to be said about consistant sales over time versus meeting a 3 month sales goal then dropping off forever.

It's one of the reasons why I want to know how the game did on PC. Makes me wonder if that tail of sales is due to the nature of Steam's marketplace.

Mesoian

I'd caution you guys to consider Deep Down and what they've done with the Onimusha and BoF series in your expectations. They've shown their cards and I have an idea on disc DLC will seem a fart in the wind compared to the Paymium scams they have in store for their "traditional" packaged goods.

While true, I don't think we're even close to discussing that stuff yet. We're talking about a good 18 months before Capcom is ready to release ANYTHING on next gen consoles, it's far too early to talk about the pitfalls of the modern evils of game design when they have, literally, nothing to show.

Believe it or not, DmC is still selling. It's up to nearly 1.5 million. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it makes the 2 million by the end of the year.

Yeah, and it'll likely never come close to DMC4, even within the same timeframe. Considering DMC4 a failure at what, 4 million, and DmC a success at 1.2-1.5? Ridiculous.

Mesoian

Yeah, and it'll likely never come close to DMC4, even within the same timeframe. Considering DMC4 a failure at what, 4 million, and DmC a success at 1.2-1.5? Ridiculous.

ZaF9G.gif

ezekial45

Banned
If we're talking wishes here, Dragon's Dogma 2 must come before DMC5. Seriously, that game would benefit the most from next-gen.

Anteater

If we're talking wishes here, Dragon's Dogma 2 must come before DMC5. Seriously, that game would benefit the most from next-gen.

DD2 would be a more massive project I think if they stick with the same formula, and plus if Capcom were smart at managing their teams they shouldn't have problem making both.

Dahbomb

True, but there's something to be said about consistant sales over time versus meeting a 3 month sales goal then dropping off forever.

It's one of the reasons why I want to know how the game did on PC. Makes me wonder if that tail of sales is due to the nature of Steam's marketplace.
Dropping off forever? You do realize DMC4 sold 100k in the last 3 months right?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

And the game is like over half a decade old.

DMC4 not only sold well right out of the gate, it sold well through its life span and continues to do so.

Biker19

Banned

If that happens, they'll fail real big.

They're not exactly in the kind of position where they can fuck things up anymore, especially financially wise.

Mesoian

Dropping off forever? You do realize DMC4 sold 100k in the last 3 months right?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/explanation.html

And the game is like over half a decade old.

DMC4 not only sold well right out of the gate, it sold well through its life span and continues to do so.

And I'd like to see how the PC sales for that game are as well. Of course DMC4 sold well, no one said it didn't. But does the fact that DMC4 sold twice what DMC did over the course of roughly 4 years immediately invalidate the entire thought process of making a DMC2? I don't think so.

But again, I'd like to see the receipts.

Wasn't deepdown delayed until summer?

The beta, yeah.

The full game? Who knows when that thing is coming out. We barely know what that game is to begin with.

I'm saying they should make a console port of Monster Hunter 4. I understand that there are two versions on the 3DS, they should make versions for the consoles as well, especially since there are no other hunter style games on these consoles yet.

don't stop believing~

Anteater

its 99% RE game , or a DragonDogma sequel that plays more like dark souls !!

DD Sequel doesn't need to play more like dark souls, it just needs better balancing and better enemies variety, it should be more dmc but with magic and shit :D

Dahbomb

And I'd like to see how the PC sales for that game are as well. Of course DMC4 sold well, no one said it didn't. But does the fact that DMC4 sold twice what DMC did over the course of roughly 4 years immediately invalidate the entire thought process of making a DMC2? I don't think so.

But again, I'd like to see the receipts.
Bottom line is that DMC4 did DmC's sales within a couple of months. It doesn't matter how long DmC's legs are, DMC4 has its long term sales beat (unless DmC ends up selling 2.2 million) with just DMC4's short term sales.

Long term sales of DMC4 pushed it from lower end of 2 million to practically 3 million. Long term sales of DmC would probably push it from 1.1 million to MAYBE 2 million and that's being extremely optimistic.

I would say that Steam PC sales definitely contributed to the long term sales of both games.

If 3 million sales invalidated the reason to make a new DMC game... then less than 2 million sales invalidates DmC2 in the eyes of Capcom. Really though it depends on how they interpret it.

Top Bottom