• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Unannounced titles using Panta Rhei engine coming; fierce NA competition

DVCY201

Devil May Cry 5, thanks.

I'm hoping we see the Phanta Rei engine adapted for Last Gen ports if they're planning on doing any cross-gen releases. Would be nice, as it may be better than MT Framework.

Dahbomb

I think RE7 is pretty much confirmed to be one of those new Panta Rhei games.

Since they say "games" meaning plural it either means DMC, Dragon's Dogma or a new fighter. Most other big franchises for Capcom haven't done well on console, they need a big hit and these are the games that can pull through for them.

Shun

Mega Man Legends 3.
One could dream...

I'd say a new Resident Evil with Claire Redfield or maybe if they're feisty, Onimusha.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Didn't they lay off a bunch of Capcom US staff last year?

Korigama

I'm saying they should make a console port of Monster Hunter 4. I understand that there are two versions on the 3DS, they should make versions for the consoles as well, especially since there are no other hunter style games on these consoles yet.
Why should they? It's been proven on more than one occasion that the market for MH is not on consoles, even in the case of the original Wii having the largest userbase out of any console in Japan (Tri didn't sell anywhere near as much as portable installments). At most, they might possibly repeat what they did with MH3U and make a cross-compatible Wii U version of MH4U, but with how abysmal the Wii U's performance has been, there's not much incentive.

There's no business sense behind the idea of wasting resources to create PS4/XB1-level HD assets for versions of the game that will only sell a negligible fraction of what it's sold on 3DS alone.

Mesoian

There's no business sense behind the idea of wasting resources to create PS4/XB1-level HD assets for versions of the game that will only sell a negligible fraction of what it's sold on 3DS alone.

Because as it stands right now, there's no reason not to. The scenario you just described is just as dangerous for any IP that Capcom is actually willing to pour money into, at least Monster Hunter has the ability to capture multiple regions and, if they decided to do a synergistic model for home and mobile like they did with Monster Hunter 3, can make a killing with the ecosystem rather than the individual game.

I mean let's face it, if we're talking a pure numbers game, there's no reason for Capcom to release anything that isn't on mobile outside of japan PERIOD, not this year.

But you gotta start somewhere. Because as it stands right now, the only thing Capcom has ready for next gen consoles is Dead Rising 3.

No Phanta Rei for PC?.

WWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWW

Naw, probably. They need to put out a game that actually uses the thing first though

Korigama

Because as it stands right now, there's no reason not to. The scenario you just described is just as dangerous for any IP that Capcom is actually willing to pour money into, at least Monster Hunter has the ability to capture multiple regions and, if they decided to do a synergistic model for home and mobile like they did with Monster Hunter 3, can make a killing with the ecosystem rather than the individual game.

I mean let's face it, if we're talking a pure numbers game, there's no reason for Capcom to release anything that isn't on mobile outside of japan PERIOD, not this year.

But you gotta start somewhere. Because as it stands right now, the only thing Capcom has ready for next gen consoles is Dead Rising 3.
Does it? An honest question, as I don't recall the sales for MH in the West making it any more than a niche franchise here. If anyone knows otherwise, they're free to correct me.

Either way, I see nothing dangerous about that at all. It's quite clear that they only require Japan to carry MH for them. Any additional sales are just a bonus, and in this case, I don't picture them bending over backwards to cater to Western tastes (for something like RE, sure, but for this, no). Whatever they do have planned for next-gen consoles, I would expect it to be something that already has broad appeal outside of Japan.

Isn't Panta Rhei the engine built for Deep Down? So far all we've seen is tight indoor environments. How well will this engine handle outdoor settings?

DieH@rd

Banned
Isn't Panta Rhei the engine built for Deep Down? So far all we've seen is tight indoor environments. How well will this engine handle outdoor settings?

It will handle them just fine.
sonyplaystation4presshuuxi.png

And no, Panty Raid was not build only to be used by Capcom Mobile Games studio. It was made to be evolution of MT framework that will easily cope with nextgen asset production and implementation. Many Capcom studios will use it.

Chemo

This shit better be Dragon's Dogma 2 or I'm going to be overwhelmingly disappointed. I honestly don't give a shit about anything else Capcom has going on besides Street Fighter and I doubt we'll see Street Fighter V for another decade.

I-hate-u

MT Framework is one of the better engine last gens. DMC4 is easily, easily the bect action game of GEN7 imo. I hope Panta Rhei follows suit.

I want DMC 5 just as any person in this thread. But it's Capcom; they'll do the opposite of what fans what. That's why I'm not a big fan of Capcom Unity.

HardRojo

No shitty microtransactions nor DLC and you might count me in Capcom... You'll still put those in though so who am I kidding?

vg260

I want DD2, but it's probably too soon.

Give us Capcom All Stars please with long term support and updates.

Believe it or not, DmC is still selling. It's up to nearly 1.5 million. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it makes the 2 million by the end of the year.

This is silly. Where on earth are you getting the idea that the game is going to sell 600,000 copies after being discounted to hell and back in the past year and even been given away for free?

Short of a Next gen port, it isnt going to happen.

Imagine guys DMC5 follows the dmc2 storyline ( even tho that game never existed to me) but here me out Dante enters hell and to a certain extent his power levels aren't the same since he's a hybrid human/demon. Along the way he encounters old and new foes and learns perhaps a new demon transformation to not be constrained to hell limitations. Plus we get to see Vergil again idk how would capcom re-introduce him but he should be playable at one point and last for dlc( which I hate ) Nero would be handling things on the outside along with trish and lady.

Sorry if my ideas are type crazy

A new Dragon's Dogma would be nice to see. First one had quite a few issues, and still managed to be pretty damn fun. And with this, it could potentially end up being something special.

Just not too sure they want to revisit it quite yet. Know they stated they wanted to make a series or some such about it, but that was quite a bit ago.

Korigama

Imagine guys DMC5 follows the dmc2 storyline ( even tho that game never existed to me) but here me out Dante enters hell and to a certain extent his power levels aren't the same since he's a hybrid human/demon. Along the way he encounters old and new foes and learns perhaps a new demon transformation to not be constrained to hell limitations. Plus we get to see Vergil again idk how would capcom re-introduce him but he should be playable at one point and last for dlc( which I hate ) Nero would be handling things on the outside along with trish and lady.

Sorry if my ideas are type crazy
DMC and DmC are two completely different, and more importantly, incompatible continuities. The fact that Sparda was a legendary demon, both feared and revered, who fought for humans and even started a family with one was key to the original continuity, and why anyone descended from him was considered such a big deal. For every antagonist who didn't hold a grudge against him, there were also those who wanted to claim his power for themselves. In DmC, Sparda is nothing: a coward who hid from their version of Mundus before getting stepped on like an ant and then imprisoned, and had no concern for humans whatsoever. No one would fear or revere someone so weak, let alone want his power. DmC's narrative focused on how great their take on Eva was, who was an angel (and predictably for Ninja Theory, a redhead) instead of a human.

Acknowledging DmC at all in a hypothetical DMC5 would make no sense because they're not even the same characters. Either they go back to the original continuity, stick with the reboot, or shelve the franchise entirely.

EDIT: And I see now that you meant THAT DMC2, not the idea of making a DmC2 and following it. Pretty much what I get for posting so late. My apologies. Yeah, they're probably content with pretending that DMC2 never happened by pushing it all the way to the end of the old continuity. A DMC5 would probably follow the events of DMC4 instead.

Capcom need to sort their PR team out before doing anything else.

Their lack of action on removing GFWL from their PC line-up really is pissing me off plus on disc dlc and micro-transaction talk are just some of the reasons I'm avoiding them for now.

I really hope they sort their shit out as back in the day they were by far my favorite devs.

News Bot

Banned
I'd be absolutely amazed if there wasn't a Resident Evil in the works. That series has barely had a single month of downtime in its entire history.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Capcom need to sort their PR team out before doing anything else.

Their lack of action on removing GFWL from their PC line-up really is pissing me off plus on disc dlc and micro-transaction talk are just some of the reasons I'm avoiding them for now.

I really hope they sort their shit out as back in the day they were by far my favorite devs.

To be fair, GFWL is still more than four months away from being shut down and Microsoft itself hasn't even officially announced as much yet. With regard to the latter, I suspect it's why 343 has spent the past year staying mum on just what exactly the future holds for Halo 2's MP -- an announcement won't occur until Microsoft has formally revealed that GFWL, which is what Halo 2's MP functionality current relies on, is going to die.

Jawmuncher

"Fierce NA Competition" means none of the requested games here are this game.
Guarantee it's a new IP since Capcom loves to jump into those every time a gen starts to hopefully start a new franchise.

Kyoufu

Really hope Dragon's Dogma 2 is one of them. I need a sequel to my 2012 game of the year.

Imagine how well the game would run with 8GB of RAM and easier hardware architecture.

Jawmuncher

I want DMC 5 just as any person in this thread. But it's Capcom; they'll do the opposite of what fans what. That's why I'm not a big fan of Capcom Unity.

You can't blame Capcom Unity to much.
It's been shown that the NA branch of capcom can basically do jack all when it comes to what Japan HQ wants.

News Bot

Banned
You can't blame Capcom Unity to much.
It's been shown that the NA branch of capcom can basically do jack all when it comes to what Japan HQ wants.

Even their PR departments are pretty hilariously different.

USA: "Hey there! We're pretty excited about this book proposal, nice work! But we need to forward it to Japan..."

Japan: "Who are you and what do you want? What is this "book" you think you're writing? Don't talk to us."

To be fair, GFWL is still more than four months away from being shut down and Microsoft itself hasn't even officially announced as much yet. With regard to the latter, I suspect it's why 343 has spent the past year staying mum on just what exactly the future holds for Halo 2's MP -- an announcement won't occur until Microsoft has formally revealed that GFWL, which is what Halo 2's MP functionality current relies on, is going to die.

I hope you're right and something is in the works but other devs have at least said they are looking into the situation while Capcom have just muttered "no plans" which is just shit of them and shows zero respect to their customers.

To be honest the whole affair has put me off a few companies including Microsoft, Codemasters and Capcom so it isn't just them.

Regardless of GFWL I also think the quality of their games is at an all time low, Lost Planet 3, RE6 and Remember Me were sub par and the only thing they have done in the last 12 months that I enjoyed was DmC.

As I said I hope they get themselves back in shape.

Top Bottom