• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We're targeting 30fps"; working with MS to improve Dead Rising 3

I think when you have to rush a launch game you chose to make it as visually appealing as possible at the expense of gameplay.

It sucks... but it's not new. And ya'll should have seen that coming a mile away. The good news is that it's the type of game that framerate isn't all that important. It's not like you're playing Quake 3 at nationals. It's a big dumb game where you mow down 1000000 dudes at once. People who want to like it will. But to expect capcom vancouver to make some sort of system selling masterpiece when their prior work is Dead Rising 2 and The Bigs... well, they just weren't cut out for that.

Dear god calm down, no need to get so offended about the cloud, its just the cloud. I knew it was coming and when it delivered I chuckled. You could just answer my honest questions. And I have been here for around 7 years, thanks.

I'm just surprised anyone finds it funny. I find it hugely annoying because it adds nothing to the discussion and is wholly unoriginal. Add to this everytime someone lolz at that shit it just encourage them or that next person to go another round.

I figured you e been around a while, that was kind of my point.

"We're targeting 30 frames a second," Leigh added, "and because we're based in Vancouver, and Seattle is where Microsoft is based, we're only three hours up the road so we constantly have tech people driving back and forth and they're helping us to make this a very smooth running game at launch."

hey guys ever heard of skype?

Honestly, a next gen tittle and they are "targeting" 30 FPS? Wtf is going on. Take a couple zombies off the screen. The game doesn't even look that good!

Microsoft's launch line up is kinda good as what it is and none of the games have such performance problems as this one.

Would it really kill Microsoft to push this title to early 2014?

Why are people ignoring the fact that targeting a framerate is normal terminology and nothing to get worked up over?

hey guys ever heard of skype?

Never done development eh? There's a lot of stuff that is much easier to do onsite with direct access to the code and profiling than doing it via Skype.

fallagin

0H1j8ns.gif

60fps is ideal but 30fps is far from a slideshow.

Holy shit, that is an awesome thing right there.

Of course it isn't 30. Capcom Vancouver isn't exactly Epic.

Launch games are mostly shitty and rushed. The amount of people surprised by that over and over makes me wonder if everyone here is 6 years old or younger...

This so much. Launch games are terrible. Cerny even said it in his interview with the Verge. Launch is always bad, it's afterwards that matters.

I think when you have to rush a launch game you chose to make it as visually appealing as possible at the expense of gameplay.

It sucks... but it's not new. And ya'll should have seen that coming a mile away. The good news is that it's the type of game that framerate isn't all that important. It's not like you're playing Quake 3 at nationals. It's a big dumb game where you mow down 1000000 dudes at once. People who want to like it will. But to expect capcom vancouver to make some sort of system selling masterpiece when their prior work is Dead Rising 2 and The Bigs... well, they just weren't cut out for that.
Who said anything about making a masterpiece? Just hit goddamn 30 fps lol. They shouldn't have trouble with the hardware they're working with.

shandy706

For a game like this 30fps is fine...as long as it is locked.

60fps is a must for competitive shooters, fighting games, and racing sims.

If Ryse can look as good as it does and run 30-60fps....there's no excuse to run sub 30...outside of putting too many zombies, which seems like an easy fix.

GHG

Gold Member
It can always be updated later.

So its ok for broken or WIP games to be released now?

Some of the responses in here along with the ryse threads make me wonder what microsoft have people smoking these days.

If they can't get the framerate stable in time the game should be delayed. End of.

Nekofrog

Banned
"hey guys, lets go see a movie."

"you, mean a slideshow?"

24 frames for a movie is a fucking stuttery mess, too. Oh hey action movie at 24fps, let's pan the camera around and OH GOD BLURRY MESS EVERYWHERE.

We should be well beyond the age of low framerates for film and videogames. I'm sorry I hold my games to a higher standard than 30 fps. It's not hyperbole.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
I can deal with 30 fps in a Dead Rising game, this is not a racing game, right?

I don't care about Dead Rising but I have to agree, 60fps is absolutely imperative for certain games like fighters and racers. If this game delivers a solid 30fps it's fine.

edit: shandy706 just said the same thing above

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Just why?

Why not both in 60?

Its going to feel weird as hell, playing the different modes.

It will be weird for a bit, then when you complete the campaign it won't be an issue.

The campaign has been finished for months, I'm guessing they're focussing on MP now.

jim2011

Bad choice of words but I have faith. They will not put out a game running at the framerate it's currently at. 30FPS is A-ok with me considering the last couple have had what seemed like an even lower framerate than that (at all times).

IN&OUT

Banned
The first gamplay footage at e3 had massive frame drops, I'm quite sure it will release with stable frame rates.

I can deal with 30 fps in a Dead Rising game, this is not a racing game, right?

I think you're missing the point, I'm pretty sure most here are fine with a 30fps Dead Rising 3. The point is it's not even at 30fps. They're "targeting" that. It's sub-30 which is pretty funny.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Didn't the first Dead Rising have a solid framerate?

Capcom going backwards?

Definitely not. Always been part of the jank.

Really hope they get it ironed out here, though. Solid 30 with no loading and being as open as it is would be great. The loads in DR2 were laaaame.

MCD

So its ok for broken or WIP games to be released now?

Some of the responses in here along with the ryse threads make me wonder what microsoft have people smoking these days.

If they can't get the framerate stable in time the game should be delayed. End of.

Ubisoft would go broke if they listened to you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The demo I saw was running terribly. Spent most of its time in the teens with constant tearing. Every bit as sluggish as the console version of Saints Row 4. I asked them about this issue as well and received the same response. Also asked about object blur which they wanted to include but couldn't make it happen.

This so much. Launch games are terrible. Cerny even said it in his interview with the Verge. Launch is always bad, it's afterwards that matters.

Are you sure?

BF4: 60fps
Killzone SF: 1080p/30fps SP/ 60fps MP
Forza 5: 1080p/60fps
Ryse: Haven't seen any performance issues so far
Driveclub: 1080p/30fps, targeting 60fps
Knack: Solid 30fps
Killer Instinct: 1080p/60fps
Watch Dogs: Haven't seen any performance issues
ACIV: 1080p/30fps SP/ 60fps MP

I'm just surprised anyone finds it funny. I find it hugely annoying because it adds nothing to the discussion and is wholly unoriginal. Add to this everytime someone lolz at that shit it just encourage them or that next person to go another round.

I figured you e been around a while, that was kind of my point.

Its all good bro. Thats why I tried to see if it was using the cloud for anything, even online, to add to the discussion. I dont know much about DR3.

Seeing Titanfall is even worse lol...

24 frames for a movie is a fucking stuttery mess, too. Oh hey action movie at 24fps, let's pan the camera around and OH GOD BLURRY MESS EVERYWHERE.

We should be well beyond the age of low framerates for film and videogames. I'm sorry I hold my games to a higher standard than 30 fps. It's not hyperbole.

I guess you have yet to play any more than a handful of acceptable games. We should be well beyond the age of asinine comments like these. I filtered Derrick, I filter you. I'm sorry I hold my posters to a higher standard.

I think you're missing the point, I'm pretty sure most here are fine with a 30fps Dead Rising 3. The point is it's not even at 30fps. They're "targeting" that. It's sub-30 which is pretty funny.

Well, it's understandable given the usual timeline for working for day one launch software. I mean, it's a new hardware config they have to come to grips with making run nicely with a fairly high goal with a seamless world design and tons of enemies to sync in satisfying fashion to player actions. In other words, launch games. The other Dead Rising games also run at a variable 30FPS on console, so it's not like it's got a higher standard to fall from, anyway.

Well, it's understandable given the usual timeline for working for day one launch software. I mean, it's a new hardware config they have to come to grips with making run nicely with a fairly high goal with a seamless world design and tons of enemies to sync in satisfying fashion to player actions. In other words, launch games. The other Dead Rising games also run at a variable 30FPS on console, so it's not like it's got a higher standard to fall from, anyway.

It's definitely not 'understandable' or just 'launch games'. There's no other launch game with this issue that I know of.

jond76

Banned
Can't wait to see how my favorite slideshow, Breaking Bad, ends.

They seem pretty confident about getting 30. It'll be fine.

Top Bottom