• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We're targeting 30fps"; working with MS to improve Dead Rising 3

Hypron

The fact that they have to say "we're targeting 30 frames per second" worries me. Any game should have this as a minimum, not a target.

Yeah it sucks, but most games last gen only targeted 30 fps and tbh I wasn't really expecting that change.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Holy hyperbole. 60fps snobs are maybe my least favorite GAF constituency.

Never mind that 24 frames per second has been good enough for an entire century of cinema.

I dislike the 60fps snobs too, but bringing up 24fps cinema is not relevant at all, It's not a good argument; you don't interact with films, you do with video games.

A good argument is that some of the best games of all time have been 30fps and people have enjoyed 30fps games just fine for decades.

Iacobellis

The gameplay looks exactly the same as what i played in the first two DR games.

Sounds like you just going off on a rant about "the cloud" when it has fuck all to do with what's being discussed here. But far be it for people to let a little thing like veering off topic, stop their little anti MS rants( along with drive by troll posts). It's what makes all X1 threads such a "joy" to read.

The point is, Microsoft has been touting the cloud since May as a way of offloading some of the AI and even allow for better visuals. If the cloud really could work the way Microsoft is intending it to, why doesn't Capcom take advantage of it so the Xbox One hardware isn't having difficulties running the game?

way too many people these days making a fuss over 30fps vs 60fps and whatnot. A smooth, consistent framerate is all that's needed, and 30fps is fine.

antitrop

Console developers have always targeted 30fps, primarily.

This outrage is hilarious. As if this is something new, or something out of the ordinary, or unusual, or unique.

Never mind that 24 frames per second has been good enough for an entire century of cinema.
I'm in the camp of ambivalence on 30fps. It doesn't bother me and I don't mind if I play a game that is as such. However, we can not bring film into this discussion. It is such an entirely different beast.

Launch games are mostly shitty and rushed. The amount of people surprised by that over and over makes me wonder if everyone here is 6 years old or younger...

This was in development as a 360 title though... I'm not sure if it fits the definition of being rushed, though it probably had a lot of issues.

sirap

30fps isn't that big of an issue IF it stays locked and rock solid at that framerate. What's really worrying a lot of people here isn't the fact that it's not 60fps (although that is an issue) but that the developers are struggling to achieve even 30fps. What this tells us is that dips to >30fps is a possibility.

goldenpp72

I adore DR1 and 2, but let's not pretend the games ran well. They didn't run at 30 fps too often either, especially outdoors in 2 which became n64 level. DR3 doesn't look as good at the previous games tone wise but, it certainly looks more solid and smooth already in terms of loading and such, hopefully performance can match.

abadguy

Banned
The point is, Microsoft has been touting the cloud since May as a way of offloading some of the AI and even allow for better visuals. If the cloud really could work the way Microsoft is intending it to, why doesn't Capcom take advantage of it so the Xbox One hardware isn't having difficulties running the game?

Maybe the dev is just having trouble adjusting to no hardware? You know like what has happened for the past few gens with some games? Why isn't every X1 game having these problems if the console is so shit?

Have you played Dead Rising 2? The progression from 1 to 3 seems pretty smooth to me.

Yeah. DR2 had some of what DR good but it was starting to head in a bad direction with the massive areas and open ended structure. I haven't played DR3 but all the videos make it seem like it's doing a mix of dark scary areas, powerful weapons, and driving.

spirity

"We're targeting 30 frames a second,"

step-back_zpsd9c38696.gif

Iacobellis

Maybe the dev is just having trouble adjusting to no hardware? You know like what has happened for the past few gens with some games? Why isn't every X1 game having these problems if the console is so shit?

Ryse is having problems of its own. But like others in this thread have stated, the game started development on the 360. It isn't like the project is only a year old.

Capcom is targeting for 30FPS. So they aren't even at a stable 30FPS for a game due out in about three months. That will upset a good amount of people if they can't meet it.

eso76

Open world launch game with that scope, unified lighting and amount of z's onscreen..
game doesn't look bad at all.
in fact it looks more than good enough, but the framerate in the demo is just unacceptable

if they can get it to run at a stable 30fps though, yeah.

Come on dude, you can't be serious.

I can't be serious that the second I heard that Dead Rising 3 was coming as a launch title for the xbox one I knew it was going to be a rushed piece of shit? What I don't get is how people thought otherwise.

Turn 10 and Guerrilla are crunching to make good launch games... do you guys really think Capcom Vancouver are up to it?

Come on dude, you can't be serious.

He's pretty much spot on. Capcom Vancouver isn't exactly known for their technical prowess. I think most people expected a poor frame rate with this game. Hopefully some MS gurus help them figure things out as the game looks really fun.

Of course it isn't 30. Capcom Vancouver isn't exactly Epic.

Launch games are mostly shitty and rushed. The amount of people surprised by that over and over makes me wonder if everyone here is 6 years old or younger...

Dude, what?

Plenty of other launch games are running at 60 or targeting 60. And of the ones that aren't Dead Rising 3 easily is running the worst out of anything - on Xbox One or on PS4.

Forza 5? 60 FPS. Killer Instict? 60 FPS. Killzone Shadowfall? 60 FPS in Multiplayer. Battlefield 4? 60 FPS. Need for Speed: Rivals? 60 FPS. COD Ghosts? 60 FPS. Blacklight: Retribution? 60 FPS. I could go on... And i'm just listing the 60 FPS ones. Not even the ones that are steady 30 unlike DR3.

Dead Rising 3 isn't the norm for the next gen launch games. It's by far the worst of the bunch.

I can't be serious that the second I heard that Dead Rising 3 was coming as a launch title for the xbox one I knew it was going to be a rushed piece of shit? What I don't get is how people thought otherwise.

Turn 10 and Guerrilla are crunching to make good launch games... do you guys really think Capcom Vancouver are up to it?
Certainly not being able to hit a constant 30fps. Even if it's Capcom, I didn't expect it to be that bad .

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How horrendously would this have performed if they left it as a 360 title? DR1 and DR2 never ran particularly well there (understandable), and if they can't get a upported 360 game to run solidly, well...

PSGames

Dead Rising is one of my favorite franchises ever and pretty much the sole reason I'm buying an Xbox One at launch. Would I be alone in saying I would prefer they delay the game to get the game done right than to rush it with a subpar framerate at launch?

Dead Rising is one of my favorite franchises ever and pretty much the sole reason I'm buying an Xbox One at launch. Would I be alone in saying I would prefer they delay the game to get the game done right than to rush it with a subpar framerate at launch?

No you most certainly would not

just get it at a stable 30 FPS

Not alone at all. This game deserves that kind of love based on what we've seen so far.

w00zey

Of course it isn't 30. Capcom Vancouver isn't exactly Epic.

I think for me I have a higher expectation because they are supposedly high end pc's this go around. It doesn't seem like it is exactly new technology. I don't really know though because I don't make games.

So 30fps is fine for a racing game on PS4 (Driveclub) but unacceptable for an an action adventure game for the X1 that will attempt to put hundreds of zombies on screen at once??? REALLY???

Good God I really hope Gaf isn't going to be this ridiculous after these consoles release ...

How horrendously would this have performed if they left it as a 360 title? DR1 and DR2 never ran particularly well there (understandable), and if they can't get a upported 360 game to run solidly, well...

Well, they really upped up the amount of the zombies on the screen for the Xbone.They are everywhere as far you can see.

Capcom probably went overconfident with development and amount of enemies on screen and in the end they just left with bad performance.

Valnen

I don't get it. It's not even chucking a huge amount of geometry around. Look at the zombies hat. Not to mention the relatively low resolution of some of the textures.

Is this using a custom engine?

Looks like a current gen console game from like 2007.

So 30fps is fine for a racing game on PS4 (Driveclub) but unacceptable for an an action adventure game that will attempt to put hundreds of zombies on screen at once??? REALLY???

Good God I really hope Gaf isn't going to be this ridiculous after these consoles release ...

Issue here for people isn't 30fps... it's the whole targeting 30fps thing. That implies it may be below 30fps. That's not good.

MrBud360

Old Engine. If you take an old engine and just multiply the models, and texture detail, you can get in trouble on any hardware. For that you need a new engine, new algorithms. Threads.....

Certainly not being able to hit a constant 30fps. Even if it's Capcom, I didn't expect it to be that bad .

But this is the problem isnt it? Its Capcom in name only. Really this is Blue Castle Games who only had 3 titles under their belt pre-Dead rising 2 and are a fairly small studio.

Its not out of line to say that this is not a studio you want to be crunching a launch title that is technically proficient. Especially as their previous game had basically the same problem.

derFeef

Last thing I am going to say on this with you. It's only you making a big deal out of it, the cloud is not even being brought into this game at all, yet you hamper on that argument (which got cleared up the past few weeks and so on) continously.

The game is unoptimized and suffered from a generation and hardware switch, probably still will be unoptmized at launch, that we know.

Nafai1123

Banned

Has any Dead Rising game on console been able to run locked at 30fps? Honest question, I was always under the impression that they take a dive with lots of characters on screen.

Steroyd

the frame rate complaints were targeted towards a racing game were 30 vs 60fps is a huge difference.

As long as it never dips below 30FPS, to me it's the difference between smooth and smoother. The impression you get from some is that locked 30FPS automatically makes a game shit and unplayable.

Top Bottom