• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We're targeting 30fps"; working with MS to improve Dead Rising 3

miso_Jeff

Banned
Targeting? So they haven't reached the bare minimum yet?

I really want to like this game since it's the only reason I'm buying a Xbox One at launch.

Yeah they were excluding the pc versions. Crybabies gonna cry.

I guess this is revenge for all the "X1 60fps games, PS4 30fps games. What power advantage?"

It's a bit petty, but when everyone's being petty I guess it evens out.

30 fps is not "very smooth" it's a fucking slideshow.

Might want to get your eyes checked. I think they might be dropping frames.

On topic; Dead Rising 3 has looked rough from the start. I'm not surprised they're going for 30fps, but anything below that for the start of this generation would be very bad. Maybe it was just bad PR on their part, but I would have said, "It will be 30fps," not, "We're targeting 30fps."

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You act like we've seen any locked 30fps footage of Dead Rising. 30fps locked is all dandy.... Saying "we're targeting 30fps for launch" is as bad as Driveclub devs saying "we're targeting 60fps for launch", (i.e. highly doubtful). Perhaps this was just an extremely poor choice of words, but either way, from the performance of DR3, things are not looking good. They should take a couple months to work on this and release it Q1 2014 to counter the "new console drought".

Targeting is a completely common phrase, I didn't take it as negative here. But yeah, I have seen the drops in the footage, but I also realize none of these games are finished and technical sides like that are always finalized near the end.

You act like we've seen any locked 30fps footage of Dead Rising. 30fps locked is all dandy.... Saying "we're targeting 30fps for launch" is as bad as Driveclub devs saying "we're targeting 60fps for launch", (i.e. highly doubtful). Perhaps this was just an extremely poor choice of words, but either way, from the performance of DR3, things are not looking good. They should take a couple months to work on this and release it Q1 2014 to counter the "new console drought".

If it takes a delay to polish this game to perfection, I agree. The game looks too fun to be plagued by graphics issues.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I know it's a different world and to be expected to an extent, but it's quite weird to think that I'm considering a 120hz monitor so I can experience silky smooth 120fps and Capcom aren't comfortably hitting 1/4 of that.

I am kinda sad though, because this is definitely the most interesting Xbone exclusive for me.

Whenever you encounter the swarm of zombies the FPS just plummet so they will probably reduce the number of zombies.

They probably went overboard with amount of enemies on screen.

If they ship like this it will only harm the franchise and player's experience.

nib95

Banned
30fps locked is absolutely fine. Only problem is at the moment the game is often running well below that. Hopefully they can polish it up before launch.

Liamario

Banned
Targeting 30fps is a very bad sign for performance. Considering it's cacpcom, I'd be lying if I said I was surprised.

Portugeezer

They're going to cut the number of zombies or suffer framerate problems. I don't expect miracles for a 1.2Tflop launch game with 3 months left of development.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
is dipping under 30fps right now. Capcom are making themselves look like absolute fools.

It sounds like this game's bottleneck is not the GPU but the CPU, due to the sheer number of animated AI-zombies and interactive elements in the world. As that is a gameplay element, it cannot be downscaled or removed as easily as purely visual elements. I wouldn't disdain the developers lightly based on screenshots.

derFeef

They're going to cut the number of zombies or suffer framerate problems. I don't expect miracles for a 1.2Tflop launch game with 3 months left of development.

I do think CPU is the problem here, not GPU, but I am no game dev. Whenever physics happen with lots of zombies the game's struggling to hold up.

No double standards.

If it looks good at 30fps, I'll take it. Some people seem to be okay with this being 30 but have nerves to say DriveClub being at 30 is unacceptable as they are adding more detail because that's their design choice.

C'mon... it's a next-gen system and they can't even get 30fps with a launch game?

Seriously, that's really bad.

Games shouldn't be hitting the power ceiling before launch, that shouldn't happen until mid-way through a console's lifespan.

So, for the sake of Xbox One, I really hope this is just a matter of engine efficiency and not a telling sign that Xbox One is already facing "horsepower" issues.

Gestault

Maybe it was just bad PR on their part, but I would have said, "It will be 30fps," not, "We're targeting 30fps."

Which is funny considering the venom directed toward companies in general for not being more honest/candid about announcements. This seems like the studio behind a game being pretty candid. I sort of like it.

jayu26

Dat fuck you talk'en about?

Starting to wonder about most you with the 30fps bits.

A game running peaks and valleys of 30fps is not the same as game running 30fps flat. Which is why saying it's like a movie is beyond dumb. Movies don't drop frames ever while games do.

What is this? I was just questioning the other guy's comment. If a game manages to maintain 30fps it cannot be a "fucking slideshow".

If he said low 20s then yes I guess. I would not question that comment then.

Edit: I might have miss interpreted your point, and you might me agreeing with me. Opps.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Most games will probably be 1080p and 30 FPS. Nothing sad about it, sometimes to achieve better visual fidelity, they drop frame rate, while keeping it stable at 30.

The more you drop frames the more you give up temporal resolution. If games were static based it be nice be it's the opposite you're trading iq and performance for benefit that is negated by the low frames.

What is this? I was just questioning the other guy's comment. If a game manages to maintain 30fps it cannot be a "fucking slideshow".

If he said low 20s then yes I guess. I would not question that comment then.

The main comment is hyperbole but the base point remains it's slow to look at. Be it 60fps or 120fps there are plenty of comparison sites side by side show the problems with 30fps in motion. I wouldn't use slideshow myself but describing choppiness is nothing new to me.

Theecliff

Banned
lol wut

It is hip to hate on anything X1 related
I think you know why it's so hostile...
Yes, we know some people shit up Xbox One threads, but lumping together any sort of criticism as blind hate is ignoring why people are a bit pissed off here. The OP says they're targeting 30fps. Targeting. That alludes to the game running somewhat below that - that's pretty bad no matter how you spin it.

Anyway, hopefully they can meet their target by launch.

Most games will probably be 1080p and 30 FPS. Nothing sad about it, sometimes to achieve better visual fidelity, they drop frame rate, while keeping it stable at 30.

I am okay with locked 30 FPS.

But what if they didn't reach they target?

Targeting 30 FPS and the possibility of 20 FPS gameplay for the most part is just bad.

gfdoom

The bigger the worlds become, the more the framerates will take a hit. There's a reason why there has yet to be an openworld game that runs at a smooth 60fps on home consoles...

GodofWine

to remain consistent with my comments on frame rate in other threads, 30fps is cool with me this gen if you crank shit up to eleven in terms of whats actually in those frames.

"Targeting 30" sounds alarming because there is no soft landing spot if you miss. Target 60 and miss, you still have locked 30 with tons of stuff (sparks, snow flakes...zombies etc)

Probably would have chosen different wording if they could have said that again.

C'mon... it's a next-gen system and they can't even get 30fps with a launch game?

Games shouldn't be hitting the power ceiling before launch, that shouldn't happen until mid-way through a console's lifespan.

So, for the sake of Xbox One, I really hope this is just a matter of engine efficiency and not a telling sign that Xbox One is already facing "horsepower" issues.

It's the zombie AI, there's so much computational resources reserved just for that, it's going to be tough to get it to 30fps unless they make the zombies dumber.

No double standards.

If it looks good at 30fps, I'll take it. Some people seem to be okay with this being 30 but have nerves to say DriveClub being at 30 is unacceptable as they are adding more detail because that's their design choice.

Different genres result in different expected framerates. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Clearly you don't know anything about development. I could make "Hello World" run at 10fps on a PS4.

It is hip to hate on anything X1 related

Please stop this lame excuse. If your mad about it, blame Microsoft for making themselves a joke. Not people who point it out... and what does this have to do with the conversation?

I wouldn't say it's ridiculous because 30fps doesn't make the game unplayable or graphically inferior. However if they are trying to target 30fps, it's a lot different than saying they are trying to target 60fps. One should be a default and the other shouldn't take so much time getting to seeing as we are speaking about how powerful both systems are.

Persona7

Banned
Was anyone really expecting locked 60FPS for a huge open world game with lots of stuff going on?

I don't know anything about the Jaguar microarchitecture but maybe that is the problem. Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 both had framerate dips(PS3 version even more so) because so much was going on.

Dysun

Capcom pls, 30 fps target? You mean the bare minimum

Amount of zombies on screen is impressive but it's not worth an uneven and broken framerate

RedAssedApe

Banned
aren't u guys used to 30fps by now. it was pretty much the industry standard for current gen consoles outside of COD and a few less graphical demanding games :)

Orca

I know this set of hardware is easier to work with, but the idea they've already hit 100% efficiency is...well, it's just idiotic. It's a launch game with a ton of enemy units on the screen. They're going to have issues other games don't, and that future games won't have.

Which is funny considering the venom directed toward companies in general for not being more honest/candid about announcements. This seems like the studio behind a game being pretty candid. I sort of like it.

Sure, I can see what you mean by that. However, if the PR strategy is to be honest, and being honest means admitting things like, "Yeah, the frame rate is probably going to be all over the place, but we're hoping to hit 30fps," or "Yeah, we won't be in 1080p either," I think that's a pretty bad plan for selling the game. Maybe I come out of it thinking, "Those folks seem like nice people," but my ultimate conclusion is going to be, "I'm not going to buy that game." It seems like a bad PR strategy.

So I'm only commented on the PR under the assumption that they still want the game to sound good, and that the comments definitely don't convey that.

Top Bottom