• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We're targeting 30fps"; working with MS to improve Dead Rising 3

Yea, that's what he's saying, the game is currently having slowdowns when a lot of zombies are on screen, that's why they're saying they're targeting at 30fps. It's in the OP :p

Well goodbye to all the zombies on screen at once then! That gameplay video with hundreds of zombies, they're going to have to cut that back to about 10 zombies onscreen at once! Ugh

Yeah, it ain't that it's going to be 30 fps, it's that they haven't even gotten there yet.

That said, this is probably much ado about nothing and they'll reach their target, and everyone (except the 30 fps = slideshow guy) will be happy.

John-Carmack1.jpg

Dunkers92

Why is this thread so hostile? Knack is made by the damn team with the system architect and is 30fps.

The issue is that they say they are "targeting" 30 FPS.

What if they miss their target? Sub 30fps for a launch game sn't exactly going to give a good impression

munroe

Why is this thread so hostile? Knack is made by the damn team with the system architect and is 30fps.

DR3 is completely open, has no load times, and asstons of models on screen at once. 30fps is fine, launch games aren't going to ever be the bastion of showing off system power. But I do completely agree that it shouldn't drop below that.

Yeah it seems some people either just want to complain about anything/have too high expectations. Some people think that next-gen is this all amazing powerful force where their games should be able to run at 60fps easily, though the thing is, the more powerful the hardware the more effects and features the developers attempt to introduce.

Take DR3 for an example, yes, it's running on faster hardware however they've now got an open world, no loading, full of thousands of zombies and usable objects there are going to be issues!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well goodbye to all the zombies on screen at once then! That gameplay video with hundreds of zombies, they're going to have to cut that back to about 10 zombies onscreen at once! Ugh

This isn't the wii, lol.

I do agree that it shouldn't drop below 30. I didn't take it like it's a huge issue, framerate is typically always the last thing to get ironed out AFAIK.

I'm just glad they're being upfront about DR3's frame rate problems.

It's been the biggest knock on the game since it was announced so I'm glad they're making it a focus to stabilize the frame rate and make it a smoother experience.

Here's hoping they reach their goals before launch.

omonimo

Banned
Yep, dr2 was actually worse fps wise.

Yeah this team with all respect it was just terrible even in the past. I have in mind dr2 on ps3, really disturbing. 576p tons of tearing, missing effects, fps drops, goosh... bayonetta in the same console it's a masterpiece in comparison. I will surprise to see DR3 at steady 30 fps on xbone from them.

Nafai1123

Banned
"We're targeting a framerate. There will be frames, and they will change at a targeted interval per second on your television screen. We're hoping that this interval will be brisk enough that the viewer will perceive these pictures as movement. We're also targeting the ability for the viewer to interact directly with these images in a way that makes the picture seem responsive and not all all slow motion. We feel confident that we will be able to acheive our goals by launch."

DR3 is completely open, has no load times, and asstons of models on screen at once. 30fps is fine, launch games aren't going to ever be the bastion of showing off system power. But I do completely agree that it shouldn't drop below that.

Because it sounds like theyre struggling to hit 30fps. Which is worrying.

"We're targeting a framerate. There will be frames, and they will change at a targeted interval per second on your television screen. We're hoping that this interval will be brisk enough that the viewer will perceive these pictures as movement. We're also targeting the ability for the viewer to interact directly with these images in a way that makes the picture seem responsive and not all all slow motion. We feel confident that we will be able to acheive our goals by launch."

Brilliant.

Jobbs

Banned
I'd be fine with 30 fps. I think you guys are being over-critical because of anti MS -- I'm anti MS too, and I don't plan to buy an xbone, because I don't want to pay for a kinect.

That said, I'll concede that DR3 looks like a lot of fun. And this is 30 fps with a *fuck ton* of zombies around. Haven't you guys played DR games?

Not getting to play this (at least, not getting to play it for a while) is the one thing about not getting an XB1 that burns a bit. The novelty and awesomeness of the first DR1 was a great time in my life.

Linkyn

Well if potentially solid 30 fps doesn't spell true next gen to you, I don't know what does!

But all joking aside, maybe they should reduce the enemy count if they can't handle it. There are just some things you can't compromise with. And while 30 fps is still very smooth for most video games, there is a reason beyond bragging rights why we are seeing a shift to 60 fps.

Steroyd

Targeting 30FPS, dear lord.

Can't help but cry tears of laughter after reading all the framerate complaints of not hitting 60FPS for other games.

People are crazy if they think 60fps is going to be the framerate of most games next gen. I'd hate to see games like this cut the number of zombies in half to placate the frame rate zealots.

Vestal

Gold Member
Targeting 30FPS, dear lord.

Can't help but cry tears of laughter after reading all the framerate complaints of not hitting 60FPS for other games.
the frame rate complaints were targeted towards a racing game were 30 vs 60fps is a huge difference.

KoopaTheCasual

You act like we've seen any locked 30fps footage of Dead Rising. 30fps locked is all dandy.... Saying "we're targeting 30fps for launch" is as bad as Driveclub devs saying "we're targeting 60fps for launch", (i.e. highly doubtful). Perhaps this was just an extremely poor choice of words, but either way, from the performance of DR3, things are not looking good. They should take a couple months to work on this and release it Q1 2014 to counter the "new console drought".

Wow at all the people overreacting to using the term "targeting" to talk about framerate. It's a common way to phrase what framerate they want their game to run at. Every game targets an expected framerate. You don't target high and then fall back on something lower.

This is pretty lol. Nothing in DR3 screams system intensive, and considering it is a port over from current gen, this is pretty gross.

I can't say I necessarily blame MS though. Capcom may be pulling a crapcom with the coding.

Top Bottom