• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We're targeting 30fps"; working with MS to improve Dead Rising 3

Different genres result in different expected framerates. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Clearly you don't know anything about development. I could make "Hello World" run at 10fps on a PS4.

So what? Who said that all racers have to be default 60? When did that become an expectation? As far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't play like a choppy mess and can hold a steady frame with no drops showing great details, then why should I complain. If they are solid at 30 then 30 it is.

octagon69

Banned
... You guys have been playing all sorts of things at less than 30 FPS but all of a sudden 30 FPS isn't good enough.

These are low end PCs. Get over it and expect what you pay for.

I think they are saying they are going to have 30fps... and why wouldn't they. Just that the demo is not there yet. No worries here.

Whether they should be 45/60fps, personally idc about it for a game like dead rising 3. I mean sure I think 60fps should be the standard by this point, but it probably won't dissuade me from buying this game... although I probably won't anyway since I am not planning on buying a xbox one.

If DR1 and DR2 ran at 60FPS I would think this is pretty annoying. But they didn't, so honestly I don't think it's a big ordeal. As long as it STAYS at a solid 30, if it dips, that's pretty scary.

owasog

I have a feeling this game is an unfortunate victim of the set-in-stone november release date. It needs more optimizing. Pity they can't (won't) delay it until 2014, like Wolfenstein.

HardRojo

Get your shit together Capcom, I believe this game was planned for current gen but then bumped up to next gen, why can't you get a consistent 30 fps? Maybe it was bad PR on their part, I don't think this has anything to do with Xbox One's power but Capcom's incompetence.

Mononoke

Banned
... You guys have been playing all sorts of things at less than 30 FPS but all of a sudden 30 FPS isn't good enough.

These are low end PCs. Get over it and expect what you pay for.

I think it was acceptable at the time for a lot of people, but it started to really feel dated as the generation went on. So now that we are at the next gen, people want this improvement to be standard. Going back to 30 FPS (or a company specifically targeting it as a desired goal), seems like a step backwards.

Beardz

wow

...........cinematic feel

....such fluid

....................wow

......like the movies

......................vintage gaming

..wow

Alfredo

I remember after Dead Rising 2 came out on consoles, I thought, "I really hope they wait 'til next gen for Dead Rising 3. I'd love to see this many zombies on screen at a stable framerate!"

And now this. :/

Iacobellis

I don't think you understand this thread.

Capcom is doing a poor job with this game and cannot even get it to run at a stable 30FPS. The "cloud" is a bunch of bull, otherwise this wouldn't have even been an issue to begin with.

Is that right?

LCfiner

I don’t know what’s going on with Dead Rising under the hood but in no way does this look like something that should have a hard time hitting 30 on new hardware.

after the news yesterday and today about KZ MP and Driveclub "targeting 60”, it almost seems like a knowing in-joke by Capcom to say they’re "targeting 30”. kinda scary that it’s not.

octagon69

Banned
I think it was acceptable at the time for a lot of people, but it started to really feel dated as the generation went on. So now that we are at the next gen, people want this improvement to be standard. Going back to 30 FPS (or a company specifically targeting it as a desired goal), seems like a step backwards.

You guys don't get it. YOU weren't playing at 30 fps. Were playing stuff at like 23 fps or whatever.

30 FPS and sometimes (hopefully) higher is great for you guys.

I highly doubt these consoles will run very demanding games at 60 FPS.

Like my i5 rig with 16 gb of ram and a Gtx 660Ti can only run the Witcher 2 (all max with super buffering and 1600X1200) at like 30 FPS. That thing cost me over 1100$.

DO you guys think say Witcher 3 will look like the videos on consoles?

So what? Who said that all racers have to be default 60? When did that become an expectation? As far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't play like a choppy mess and can hold a steady frame with no drops showing great details, then why should I complain. If they are solid at 30 then 30 it is.

Because, going back to the days of Daytona USA and other arcade racers, racing games have always had a preferred expectation of 60 fps. That doesn't mean they all do it, but that is the preferred framerate for the pure sensation of speed and smoothness. Ridge Racer on the Vita and 3DS got shit on because they hit 30 fps when the series has been mostly 60 fps. Just like fighting games are expected to be 60 fps. Music games are also expected to be 60 fps. Some games just have an expectation of framerate.

T.O.P

Banned
I'll wait retail to judge, huge fan of Dead Rising and what i watched so far looks extremely fan, i'll keep my pre-order hoping for the best

derFeef

Capcom is doing a poor job with this game and cannot even get it to run at a stable 30FPS. The "cloud" is a bunch of bull, otherwise this wouldn't have even been an issue to begin with.

Is that right?

The first part is true, the other part has nothing to do with this conversation.

This game is so pointless. It's ugly and choppy and it goes against what made the original DR so good. This game is almost like GTA: Zombie Edition.

Mononoke

Banned
You guys don't get it. YOU weren't playing at 30 fps. Were playing stuff at like 23 fps or whatever.

30 FPS and sometimes (hopefully) higher is great for you guys.

I highly doubt these consoles will run very demanding games at 60 FPS.

Like my i5 rig with 16 gb of ram and a Gtx 660Ti can only run the Witcher 2 (all max with super buffering and 1600X1200) at like 30 FPS. That thing cost me over 1100$.

DO you guys think say Witcher 3 will look like the videos on consoles?

Sorry, but I do get it. As someone that has been gaming on PC for the last 3 years, jumping from 23 FPS (or even 30FPS) to 60 FPS is a huge deal. I agree with you in the sense that, the average console gamer might not even care about this. But on GAF, clearly they do.

Because, going back to the days of Daytona USA and other arcade racers, racing games have always had a preferred expectation of 60 fps. That doesn't mean they all do it, but that is the preferred framerate for the pure sensation of speed and smoothness. Ridge Racer on the Vita and 3DS got shit on because they hit 30 fps when the series has been mostly 60 fps. Just like fighting games are expected to be 60 fps. Music games are also expected to be 60 fps. Some games just have an expectation of framerate.

When I read stuff like this.... I realize that people who eye graphics and can see these errors are going to complain. Normal buyers who play these games are waay to focused on the actual race to realize how the scenes are dropping or to feel the natural feel of going fast. I get what your saying but lately, it seems that every genre no matter what it is.. Has to be 60fps or bust and it isn't.

abadguy

Banned
This game is so pointless. It's ugly and choppy and it goes against what made the original DR so good. This game is almost like GTA: Zombie Edition.

The gameplay looks exactly the same as what i played in the first two DR games.

The second part should be in this conversation. As of know, Microsoft is just sitting on a fat lie.

Sounds like you just going off on a rant about "the cloud" when it has fuck all to do with what's being discussed here. But far be it for people to let a little thing like veering off topic, stop their little anti MS rants( along with drive by troll posts). It's what makes all X1 threads such a "joy" to read.

I mean...even if there is zombies up your ass everywhere, this does not look good in terms of graphics if we are comparing to other next-gen titles.

Something is wrong with development if they can't lock 30 FPS on Xbone.

Maybe this was on PS3/X360 and then upped to Xbone as a part of the deal?

1376998687-5.jpg

Epsilon

Banned
Yeah, Sony really caught MS with their pants down with the February PS4 reveal, i think this game was never slated for a 2013 release.

owasog

Just curious; when the 360 launched, were there any rushed games back then that couldn't maintain 30 fps as well?

What I have learned from a few users the last few days is that Driveclub not hitting 60 fps is just awful and DR3 not hitting 30 fps is just awful.

I, for one, am shocked that this launch title with 90000 dudes on the screen at once is not at 60 FPS. The horror! Rushing something for launch? Learning new hardware? UNHEARD OF!!!

When I read stuff like this.... I realize that people who eye graphics and can see these errors are going to complain. Normal buyers who play these games are waay to focused on the actual race to realize how the scenes are dropping or to feel the natural feel of going fast. I get what your saying but lately, it seems that every genre no matter what it is.. Has to be 60fps or bust and it isn't.

See, I don't think all games have to be 60fps. I'd like it, but I'm pretty accepting that some are not. However, there are genres that do benefit it. It's not just visual, but it affects gameplay as well. Racing games definitely benefit from the response of the controls and the fluid sensation of speed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't get it. It's not even chucking a huge amount of geometry around. Look at the zombies hat. Not to mention the relatively low resolution of some of the textures.

Is this using a custom engine?

You see, this is what happens when we slowly let our standards slip. 30fps is a "target", and 15fps is "just fine". After all, not all games benefit from the snobbish luxury of 30fps.

Really...you found that "powa of da cloud" joke funny? How long have you been here? This is an X1 thread and you really didn't see that lame "joke" coming?

Dear god calm down, no need to get so offended about the cloud, its just the cloud. I knew it was coming and when it delivered I chuckled. You could just answer my honest questions. And I have been here for around 7 years, thanks.

Top Bottom