• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin (DS) thread

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so... I finally beat legion in the level 1 cap mode, I had to carefully destroy it's outer shell so I could do all the damage I could to do core before his outer shell was completely destroyed that seemed to work still the fight was hard what's with the corpses in the floor ****ing me around.

Im cruising right now, the stella fight was very easy I thought. thanks to scarlet telling me Maria's red bird attack do 53 of damage to her and she couldnt avoid it so that fight wasnt hard, next was Forest of Doom this stage was VERY hard took me some time the boss sadly was pretty easy.

now Im going to fight Death I think I could skip the fight Im not sure, but shit who wants to skip this awesome fight!? not me of course. I think I could take a vid of this fight with my camera.

Red Scarlet

Yeah, they're both skippable. At least afaik. I'm gonna go through the portraits and that will answer my q if they are skippable or not.

Giard

I need help in Hard Mode, LVL 1 cap
beating The Creature with Richter. What's the best strategy against it? Maria seems more effective than Richter, as her normal attack seems to block Creature's bullets rather well...

Red Scarlet

I'm no authority, but as I've been going through with them finding a route for Lv1 hard, when I fought the boss you're on,
Marias dragon + normal attack and teamup worked well. Her normal attack hits him pretty quick and should get rid of the bullets. If Richter is behind the Creature, the extra damage from his whip is good, too. Maria's green dragon thing seems to do the most damage of her stuff. I just held up and pressed attack a whole lot and had Richter out on the other side of the boss and whipping it.

I just beat
Medusa
, and I'm about to do the last map, then I could post what I've guessed as the routes to go for
Richter + Maria
(whatever difficulty/level cap). I'm 1 boss away from seeing if my castle route on the page before this is viable for skipping most of the bosses in the castle area.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Red Scarlet said:
I'm no authority, but as I've been going through with them finding a route for Lv1 hard, when I fought the boss you're on,
Marias dragon + normal attack and teamup worked well. Her normal attack hits him pretty quick and should get rid of the bullets. If Richter is behind the Creature, the extra damage from his whip is good, too. Maria's green dragon thing seems to do the most damage of her stuff. I just held up and pressed attack a whole lot and had Richter out on the other side of the boss and whipping it.

o.o

That makes the most sense. I was calling in whomever and having them stay put and attack, while I hopped over him to the other side and attacked from there. That sounds a hell of a lot easier.

Error: Yes

Red Scarlet

Yeah, I can't beat the last boss right now after hours of trying. I'll have to wait until I get an explanation of how to dodge/not get killed so fast with what I'm trying to do. The 2nd to last boss is no problem now, but I just have a really hard time actually being able to react or avoid the last boss's attacks. blahhhhhh

Saoh

what's the point of mastering items like the Axe? and how do i master them, only killing counts?

i love this game, maybe a bit more than Dawn (i missed SO MUCH the whip) love the co-op thing too.

Adaox

Saoh said:
what's the point of mastering items like the Axe? and how do i master them, only killing counts?

In the pause menu there's a guide that tells you how many hit points you need to master an item. Once mastered, the item becomes way more powerful.

Red Scarlet

Saoh said:

i love this game, maybe a bit more than Dawn (i missed SO MUCH the whip) love the co-op thing too.

Just use the weapon on a badguy and it will count. You don't have to kill the badguy with it, just hit them with it and then kill the badguy with whatever (normal weapon is fine). Look in Guides/Enemies and the SP number is the number of 'points' you get for the weapon by using the weapon on a badguy then killing it.

A good spot is
I think it's the Dark Academy, the area with Minotaurs. They give 10 SP each and there's a room by a warp point that has two Minotaurs.

I'm still stuck on the final boss...if I can't win at level 24 or 30 on Normal, how in the world am I supposed to win at level 1 on hard? :(

Adaox

So I've finshed the main game and have gone on to finish the sisters mode and begin the Richter mode, but every time I try to play the main story mode again the game freezes shortly after the mid way point, again and again.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I'm totally fed up.

bumpkin

Hmm, so probably a dumb question, but I beat the game with the true ending
(cured Vincent of his vampire bite, cast Sanctity on the Sisters, and unlocked the Vampire Killer's power by defeating Richter)
, but I don't see the
Richter & Maria or The Sisters modes
. Where are they?

Sagitario

Finished this game today, but I still have a lot of sidequests to do:
Wind's sidequests, I didn't cure Vincent (I just wanted to see his dialogue... meh!), I didn't defeat Richter

I was at level 45 and damn!, that was a hard fight... I used a lot (like ALL) of my potions and MP items...

I want to defeat the final boss again once I finish doing all the sidequests but I can't stop thinking I did something wrong and I didn't defeat
Dracula
in the proper way, I don't know... maybe if I hadn't had the necessity of use all my healing items I'd not feel this way...
I think I'm going to seriously grind next time :( ...

BTW, I definitely think PoR is better than DoS, but I liked DoS better (maybe I'm just a Soma fanboy :p) and the main game feels a lot shorter...

Red Scarlet

Adaox said:
So I've finshed the main game and have gone on to finish the sisters mode and begin the Richter mode, but every time I try to play the main story mode again the game freezes shortly after the mid way point, again and again.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I'm totally fed up.

Are you hitting start after? beating Death at the top right? If so, you have to let the talking scene there play out or the game messes up. If that's not what you're talking about, maybe someone else will reply.

bumpkin said:
Hmm, so probably a dumb question, but I beat the game with the true ending
(cured Vincent of his vampire bite, cast Sanctity on the Sisters, and unlocked the Vampire Killer's power by defeating Richter)
, but I don't see the
Richter & Maria or The Sisters modes
. Where are they?

I had this problem too. Beat the game, then go to a blank file and choose a new game and the choices are there. I thought I had to put in some zany name or something on the clear file, but that's not the case.

Saoh

where do i find 200,000 to get Salamander?? :S

also, if i put an item on my online store, do i lose it if someone buys it?

Sagitario

Saoh said:

You don't lose it...
And there is a glitch which allow you to get infinite money, items, HP, MP, etc. using Wind's quests...
Explained by Mejilan on page #13 of this thread...

Red Scarlet

Saoh said:

If you don't want to cheat, I got some ok drops from Old Axe Armor while going for 1000 of them. Those guys drop some weapon and Ancient Armor which sell for 5000+ each.

Ranger X

I finally began my game this week and so far i'm REALLY liking it. So far it's having potential to beat the prefect SOTN/DOS combo imo.

Soundtrack is better than in DOS so far too. Me like :)

Anyways, just thought i'd pass by to contribute to the thread with this early impression.
Casltevania i love you.

Sagitario

Red Scarlet said:
If you don't want to cheat, I got some ok drops from Old Axe Armor while going for 1000 of them. Those guys drop some weapon and Ancient Armor which sell for 5000+ each.

merch.gif

"Ahh yes... I'll buy it at a high price!"

Please... [/puppy_eyes]

Does somebody have a super potion to sell? Maybe some records or even a chaos ring? :p

Giard

Hard Mode level 1 cap...
Now stuck beating Brauner with Richter. Maria seems more or less useless against Brauner, I'm only using the whip and trying to dodge his attacks the best I can. Is there a better strategy?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
how do you get the two squares on the map in the main castle under the stairs leading to
death+drac?,

also, do you need to go EVERYWHERE to get 888%?

You can press down+jump to jump down from the lower platform. As for the coverage, obviously you need pretty much all of it (since you have nine maps with 100% each and a few rooms in the castle map are the passage you're trying to open).

Saoh

yes, you need to go EVERYWHERE to get 888%. even the upper corners in Sandy Grave rooms (with owl morph).

try the maps on gamefaqs to see the hidden rooms.

gururoji

Saoh said:
yes, you need to go EVERYWHERE to get 888%. even the upper corners in Sandy Grave rooms (with owl morph).

try the maps on gamefaqs to see the hidden rooms.

No, you don't need to go everywhere. There's 12% free. You can't get the whole Castle Map until you unlock Nest of Evil, so that accounts for something like a couple of percentages, but I still only had 97% on one or two of the portraits when I unlocked Nest of Evil.

gururoji

Saoh said:

My best money maker so far has been the Minotaurs, which drop one item worth 10,000 and one worth 7500. If you wear a Thief Ring and use Charlotte's LUCK boost fully charged, you can get these items out of them pretty easily, especially the 10,000 item (Bullova). This means every trip you take to the store to sell them off you can earn at least 90,000 (you can only hold a max of 9 of each item).

The best place to grind on Minotaurs is the semi-famous Minotaur room, which is below the 2nd warp room in Dark Academy. There's even a save spot nearby where you can recover HP and MP, which makes it good for grinding on Mastering weapons there (with 1 or 2 master rings, it only takes a short while to master some of the skills).

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
playing around in the sound option mode, some weird vincent quotes i was wondering how to get:

207 - they killed j
208 - yr still here
209 - the young couple
210 - i envy you
211 - the perfect couple

hoqhuuep

xir said:
playing around in the sound option mode, some weird vincent quotes i was wondering how to get:

207 - they killed j
208 - yr still here
209 - the young couple
210 - i envy you
211 - the perfect couple

With Charlotte, hold up in front of him for several seconds. Do it with and w/o Jonathan.

Bog

Junior Ace
Still playing my normal mode game. At around 26 hours in, I'm at Level 69, got the
1000%, finished every quest, and gotten nearly every enemy item drop. Still working on Iron Golem. It's so damn annoying since you can only fight him in the Nest of Evil.

andthebeatgoeson

Alright, completed lvl 1 hard mode. Now, I'm just repeating the game. It's quick, so I don't mind the repeat/remixed paintings as much. Now, I'll try richter mode.

Sagitario

Bog said:
Still playing my normal mode game. At around 26 hours in, I'm at Level 69, got the
1000%, finished every quest, and gotten nearly every enemy item drop. Still working on Iron Golem. It's so damn annoying since you can only fight him in the Nest of Evil.

A little tip: kill him and if you don't get the item, just use the suspend option in the menu while you're still in the room. Resume the game and you will appear in the same room with a brand new Iron Golem... didn't get the item? Just repeat this so you don't have to fight all the enemies again...

I'm still playing my normal mode game too because I'm trying to get all the enemy item drops... my level is 60...

Could somebody sell me a Chaos Ring? :p

Bebpo

Banned
I just finished the game with the bad ending...now what? I figured I was about halfway since I'm guessing the castle total % is 1000%? and I was a little under 500%. But
I fought the two girls and then the castle fell and it was game over
. What do I do now?

Also, this game is incredible. Best Castlevania ever by a large margin IMO. The game is so much better than the GBA/DS ones it's like comparing an Superman 64 to Zelda TP. I love that the bosses do HARD damage and have HARD patterns so that you actually have to learn how to avoid all their stuff instead of just half-assing it. It's like a Megaman Zero game now! Also I love how there is NO GRINDING AT ALL. God, I don't mind rpg elements, but Castlevania is an action game about reflexes, grinding has no place in the series and I love that I've kept moving the entire time and never had to backtrack much or refight the same enemies over and over, never had to level, awesome! The dual person system is also AWESOME, though it's a little underused so far on bosses. I love the idea of having to switch between the characters mid-fight to avoid certain attacks or hit weaknesses. The music is awesomeeeeeeee too. I wish I had played this last year so I could've put it at #1 of the top10 2006.

MoxManiac

Bebpo said:
I just finished the game with the bad ending...now what? I figured I was about halfway since I'm guessing the castle total % is 1000%? and I was a little under 500%. But
. What do I do now?

Also, this game is incredible. Best Castlevania ever by a large margin IMO. The game is so much better than the GBA/DS ones it's like comparing an Superman 64 to Zelda TP. I love that the bosses do HARD damage and have HARD patterns so that you actually have to learn how to avoid all their stuff instead of just half-assing it. It's like a Megaman Zero game now! Also I love how there is NO GRINDING AT ALL. God, I don't mind rpg elements, but Castlevania is an action game about reflexes, grinding has no place in the series and I love that I've kept moving the entire time and never had to backtrack much or refight the same enemies over and over, never had to level, awesome! The dual person system is also AWESOME, though it's a little underused so far on bosses. I love the idea of having to switch between the characters mid-fight to avoid certain attacks or hit weaknesses. The music is awesomeeeeeeee too. I wish I had played this last year so I could've put it at #1 of the top10 2006.

You needed to use that cleansing spell that you get for whats-her-name to cure the sisters instead of defeating them

Error

Bebpo said:
. What do I do now?
you need the purification spell. think Wind tells you about it after you get the bad ending go talk to him and show him the pendant or whatever

btw I totally agree with you about this being the best castlevania IGA has ever done, I still put rondo above it tho.

now you see why I go ga ga over the Zero series hehe

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
you need the purification spell. think Wind tells you about it after you get the bad ending go talk to him and show him the pendant or whatever

I'm guessing it's just one of the various subquests (I haven't really done any that required leaving the room, since backtracking and stuff like that is not what I enjoy in these games). I see one subquest where you are supposed to "get cursed and come back". I'm guessing the reward is that spell? If so where are the curse enemies, I remember running into them once but no idea where they were and I don't want to waste time just wandering around trying to find them.

Error

Bebpo said:
I'm guessing it's just one of the various subquests (I haven't really done any that required leaving the room, since backtracking and stuff like that is not what I enjoy in these games). I see one subquest where you are supposed to "get cursed and come back". I'm guessing the reward is that spell? If so where are the curse enemies, I remember running into them once but no idea where they were and I don't want to waste time just wandering around trying to find them.
go to the place in the main castle with the elevator there is doll/marionette get cursed then use the warp point that near in that area, warp to the Wind/Priest place and talk to Wind

I think the spell you need to cure the sisters is in the sandy grave check there.
I got confused and I told you something else sorry there

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
go to the place in the main castle with the elevator there is doll/marionette get cursed then use the warp point that near in that area, warp to the Wind/Priest place and talk to Wind

I think the spell you need to cure the sisters is in the sandy grave check there.
I got confused and I told you something else sorry there

Got it. Thanks.
Kinda disappointed that there's no upside/2nd castle to explore and it's just a 4 painting marathon before the final bit :\

Bebpo

Banned
Beat it. Fantastic game. Had a real pain of a time with
richter
in fact I spent all my money at the end on high potions and used them all on him and then I had no money and no potions for the final boss ^^;
Wasn't really an issue though since I had the VK. But man I tried Richter for HOURS with no potion runs and I just couldn't do it. >_<

Clear was 6:01:51 (though in real life with all the deaths probably 10 hours+), 875.9%. Does the map really go to 1000%? I can't believe I'm missing that much unless there is a full hidden section somewhere.
I thought Brauner's painting was going to be a full dungeon after all the re-hashes but no :( Good fight though.

Also how do you select the bonus characters you've unlocked?

duckroll

Because I couldn't get Sekaiju no Meikyuu anywhere today, I bought this instead. I'm a disgrace to the hardcore CV crowd and a hypocrite and shamed loser. I want to die.... :lol

Bebpo said:
Beat it. Fantastic game. Had a real pain of a time with
richter
in fact I spent all my money at the end on high potions and used them all on him and then I had no money and no potions for the final boss ^^;
Wasn't really an issue though since I had the VK. But man I tried Richter for HOURS with no potion runs and I just couldn't do it. >_<

Clear was 6:01:51 (though in real life with all the deaths probably 10 hours+), 875.9%. Does the map really go to 1000%? I can't believe I'm missing that much unless there is a full hidden section somewhere.
I thought Brauner's painting was going to be a full dungeon after all the re-hashes but no :( Good fight though.

Also how do you select the bonus characters you've unlocked?

Get 888%...

Error

duckroll said:
Because I couldn't get Sekaiju no Meikyuu anywhere today, I bought this instead. I'm a disgrace to the hardcore CV crowd and a hypocrite and shamed loser. I want to die.... :lol
heh dont worry at least you got IGA's best castlevania!

bebpo:
yes there is a full hidden level if you get 888%
and about the characters make a new file and it will ask you which characters you want to use.

LakeEarth

Well I just got the bad ending, less than 4 hours too. Now I'll try to get some of these Wind missions done and figure out how to get through the barrier.

Error2k4 said:
heh dont worry at least you got IGA's best castlevania!
IGA's best 'vania is AoS, and that's only if you exclude SotN because Igarashi was the assistant director to Toru Hagihara in that game.

DoS and PoR are basically clones of AoS with more soul farming and significantly worse art.

Top Bottom