• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin (DS) thread

Bebpo

Banned
Quick question. I've gone through all the maps and I swear I have all the hidden rooms/normal rooms on the map (going by the maps online) covered before the bonus dungeon (which is worth 100% right?) and my total is 898.60%...is that normal?

LakeEarth

I'm done trying to figure this out. Usually the game gives hints on how to get passed the bad ending but I see no sign of it. How do I not get the bad ending?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
LakeEarth said:
I'm done trying to figure this out. Usually the game gives hints on how to get passed the bad ending but I see no sign of it. How do I not get the bad ending?
get the purification spell in the sandy grave using the frog morph thing, use that spell against the sister

Reilly

LakeEarth said:

It does give you hints. You just weren't paying attention.

Red Scarlet

I thnk the game hint is
that Vincent guy being bitten by a vampire, then since you just recently got the toad morph spell, you'd find the spell that cures vampirism and be told by Wind about the sisters, to then try using Sanctuary on them.

Bebpo said:
Quick question. I've gone through all the maps and I swear I have all the hidden rooms/normal rooms on the map (going by the maps online) covered before the bonus dungeon (which is worth 100% right?) and my total is 898.60%...is that normal?

Did you ask
Eric Lecarde
to open the
Nest of Evil
?

LakeEarth

Ahh okay. I was wondering how to cure what's his name.

EDIT - ahh okay, its obvious once you get that spell. But if you don't get it, its kinda hard to figure out.

Red Scarlet

go go go
stella01.png

lyre

Error2k4 said:
try attacking
vincent
when he is a vampire
The ending where you don't heal him is much better than the one where you do, I find.

Red Scarlet said:
Does he actually lower the price eventually?
Unless there's a secret equippable item or something along those lines to do that, I don't think so.

Sagitario

999.5% of the map... almost all the items (I'm missing the ones dropped by
Fake Trevor, Fake Grant and Fake Sypha
)...
BTW... how many records are in the game?
Does somebody have a Chaos Ring to sell? =}

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I've been trying the
Dual Frankenstein
fight in the nest of evil ALL DAY. I've probably tried 20-40 times and it's just the most frustratingly BS battle in the game. They do SO MUCH GODDAMN DAMAGE. They'll fire dual missles, one missle and lightning, dual lightning, etc... and if I try to do dual attacks they'll keep hitting me out of it for massive damage against ME.

I'm only around lvl.45, using VK, and I doubt I have the best armor/equip or anything. Is this even possible? I can't see anyone doing a no damage fight or something against these guys >_<

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Bebpo said:
Ok, I've been trying the
Dual Frankenstein
fight in the nest of evil ALL DAY. I've probably tried 20-40 times and it's just the most frustratingly BS battle in the game. They do SO MUCH GODDAMN DAMAGE. They'll fire dual missles, one missle and lightning, dual lightning, etc... and if I try to do dual attacks they'll keep hitting me out of it for massive damage against ME.

I'm only around lvl.45, is this even possible? I can't see anyone doing a no damage fight or something against these guys >_<

:D

It takes a little work. Equip Charlotte with the black hole type spell. That sucks in the bullets and maybe the missiles. Use either Hydro Sto...erm...Divine Storm or a thousand blades as the dual crashes as soon as the fight starts. To beat them the first time I just spammed a lot of magic.

Bebpo

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
:D

It takes a little work. Equip Charlotte with the black hole type spell. That sucks in the bullets and maybe the missiles. Use either Hydro Sto...erm...Divine Storm or a thousand blades as the dual crashes as soon as the fight starts. To beat them the first time I just spammed a lot of magic.

I don't think I have that black hole type spell and whenever I use 1,000 blades they hit me out of it EVERY TIME :(

For instance I just tried doing a 1,000 blades DS at the start of the fight and they both shot a missle hitting me while I was stuck in the 1,000 blades frames and both together did THREE HUNDRED DAMAGE right at the start and I have like 740 HP.

Red Scarlet

I was stuck there for a little while..did I post what I did there earlier? I'll go look.
I honestly can't remember if I did anything special or had a partner out or not or surrounded them or not.

Oh, no. I can't remember how I got past.

Oldschoolgamer

Bebpo said:
I don't think I have that black hole type spell and whenever I use 1,000 blades they hit me out of it EVERY TIME :(

For instance I just tried doing a 1,000 blades DS at the start of the fight and they both shot a missle hitting me while I was stuck in the 1,000 blades frames and both together did THREE HUNDRED DAMAGE right at the start and I have like 740 HP.

Here you go:

Gamefaqs said:
053 [Dark Rift] 20 MP
Find: Buy from shop(5) for $2,000
Attr: Dark
Half: Creates a small vortex that deals damage to enemies that touch it
Full: Creates a large vortex that deals damage to enemies that touch it
Desc: Open a hole into a dark dimension.
Note: Effective against many enemies in the game, particularly Dagon and
The Creature.

058 [Chain Lightning] 30 MP
Find: Buy from shop(6) for $10,000
Attr: Lightning
Half: Shoots out a lightning bolt that bounces once
Full: Shoots out a lightning bolt that bounces multiple times
Desc: Create a chain reaction of lightning bolts.

It eases the pain a little bit. I think you might have a couple of frames of invincibility if you use Divine Storm.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I just said screw it and beat them by spamming Hex with R and doing critical attacks with VK while using super potions, high potions, tonics, and everything I had until they were DEAD. Hopefully the final section I have left doesn't require much potions or I'll need to go grind some money ^^;

The cave trolls were annoying too >_<

Oldschoolgamer

Bebpo said:
Ok, I just said screw it and beat them by spamming Hex with R and doing critical attacks with VK while using super potions, high potions, tonics, and everything I had until they were DEAD. Hopefully the final section I have left doesn't require much potions or I'll need to go grind some money ^^;

Have fun grinding. lol

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I just beat it. Scarlet you're right, those were definitely the hardest fight in the section. The rest wasn't all too bad.

Still only have 998.60% though, no idea where the missing 1.40% is >_<

Red Scarlet

I had 999.7% I think, then just used a map at gamefaqs.

If anyone's interested how overpowered Maria was in Rondo, someone did a 17 minute (I think) run of Rondo with Maria on Magic Engine.

http://www.josephvisaggi.com/Drac.htm

I would've tried that awhile ago, but my Magic Engine doesn't have recording enabled/allowed. :(

Fantasmo

Red Scarlet said:
I had 999.7% I think, then just used a map at gamefaqs.

If anyone's interested how overpowered Maria was in Rondo, someone did a 17 minute (I think) run of Rondo with Maria on Magic Engine.

http://www.josephvisaggi.com/Drac.htm

I would've tried that awhile ago, but my Magic Engine doesn't have recording enabled/allowed. :(

My friend and I just beat both Rondo and CV: Chronicles tonight... I was disappointed to find so many parts of both games to be copied and pasted into so many sequels!

RPS37

This is my 3rd DS game. I got NSMB and EBA. I "beat" NSMB the other night..meh.
This one seems a bit more my style. I'm only like level 12 and I've been playing for about 3 hours...do you think I'll be able to return it to Funcoland before the week is up?

I need the armor for the nun's outfit and the thick glasses to complete two quests. I think I may have sold both of them. Is my only hope to go online and purchase them?

Also why can't I sell things online, the option for me is disabled.

andthebeatgoeson

I Am Error said:
I need the armor for the nun's outfit and the thick glasses to complete two quests. I think I may have sold both of them. Is my only hope to go online and purchase them?

Also why can't I sell things online, the option for me is disabled.

Or pick them up on a replay. Let me know if you need them, I'll hop online now and sell them to you.

skinnyrattler said:
Or pick them up on a replay. Let me know if you need them, I'll hop online now and sell them to you.
Arg, I'm not at home at the moment. I will check online later tonight, I am sure someone is selling them. I got the nun's shoes that way.

LakeEarth

Is it just me or is this game missing any of the real cool weapons? I've beaten the true game and started on the Nest Of Evil and I'm still using some crappy random sword some enemy dropped.

LakeEarth

Alright I'll keep with the quests. Maybe I'll start up a new quest, as I sold the thick glasses and nun shoes before I knew I'd need them. I tried out hard mode, I dunno. I mean the bats are doing 55 points damage, how the hell am I gonna survive some of the harder boss battles?

Fantasmo

Red Scarlet said:
I thought some of the badguys from Rondo showing up in this were kinda cool. I'm a part of the problem. :lol

It made me realize just how little effort went into sequels.

I never knew the marshes, frogs, caves, and exploding tree enemies, were in both Rondo and CV4. Or how a bunch of the DoS enemies were in Rondo. A pirate ship in Rondo and CV3.

I enjoy nostalgia but they need to get cracking on a new approach and lots of new content. Some linear levels, multiple castles, SOTN level detail, less quantity/more quality weapons, more abilities, and more attention to music would go a long way.

The gameplay is still solid and worth a purchase after all these years, but they'll never achieve classic status with me anymore unless they shake things up a lot.

lyre

junkster said:
It made me realize just how little effort went into sequels.

I never knew the marshes, frogs, caves, and exploding tree enemies, were in both Rondo and CV4. Or how a bunch of the DoS enemies were in Rondo. A pirate ship in Rondo and CV3.

I enjoy nostalgia but they need to get cracking on a new approach and lots of new content. Some linear levels, multiple castles, SOTN level detail, less quantity/more quality weapons, more abilities, and more attention to music would go a long way.

The gameplay is still solid and worth a purchase after all these years, but they'll never achieve classic status with me anymore unless they shake things up a lot.

On the contrary, there is much effort put into the game. But due to the low budget nature of the games nowadays, corners have to be cut in order for it to remain in budget (ie most enemies getting recycled in favour of it). But this doesn't mean IGA and friends halfassed the game.

There are many new enemies, just not nearly enough. The game IS also well designed, but it's the 5th retread of what we're used to (though I am one of those minds who think DoS is better than SotN). And Ruined IS a new, if not a different approach to the formula, though it may feel more of the same. The game is also pretty much all that you listed so I don't see the complaints (hell DoS did a few of the things you listed).

And I'd rather not see IGA shake things up with the series (since it's gone through that already) but rather see them go back to what made the series a classic to begin with.

Fantasmo

yudaan said:
On the contrary, there is much effort put into the game. But due to the low budget nature of the games nowadays, corners have to be cut in order for it to remain in budget (ie most enemies getting recycled in favour of it). But this doesn't mean IGA and friends halfassed the game.

There are many new enemies, just not nearly enough. The game IS also well designed, but it's the 5th retread of what we're used to (though I am one of those minds who think DoS is better than SotN). And Ruined IS a new, if not a different approach to the formula, though it may feel more of the same. The game is also pretty much all that you listed so I don't see the complaints (hell DoS did a few of the things you listed).

And I'd rather not see IGA shake things up with the series (since it's gone through that already) but rather see them go back to what made the series a classic to begin with.

Some levels were nice, the 2 circle shaped ones sucked, and so did a few others. The main castle was boring and only had a few sections, there's only 1 memorable new music track, and the game was amazingly short.

Charlotte's great, just needs a few more standard weapons.

I stand by the fact that the level design is completely halfassed, aside from maybe the Egyptian levels, they all feel exactly the same with new skins. There's not enough different types of terrain, puzzles, and events that are exclusive to each new level.

It's a step in the right direction, but it takes the series way too long to move forward. They've been baby-stepping the whole way which is why they'll never achieve greatness to me.

They're fun enough that I'll keep buying em though.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Bebpo said:
Ok, I've been trying the
Dual Frankenstein

I'm only around lvl.45, using VK, and I doubt I have the best armor/equip or anything. Is this even possible? I can't see anyone doing a no damage fight or something against these guys >_<

my
Dual Frankenstein
was to put on heavy armor, and lots of defensive things, and just keep left shoulder button jumping and falling. after about a 1 min the door opens up. you dont have to fight them.

lyre

junkster said:
Some levels were nice, the 2 circle shaped ones sucked, and so did a few others. The main castle was boring and only had a few sections, there's only 1 memorable new music track, and the game was amazingly short.
Herein lies the problem. Those who play the game should leave all hope of good level design at the gates when they enter. Really, unless a double miracle happens, no freeroaming CV game will have good level design. Even SotN, had haphazarly slapped together levels which was made good only though speedrunning it (as well as the games after it).
And the City of Fools and Burning Paradise levels WERE supposed to be (intentional or not) disorientating and unfortunately a pain in the ass since the level was depicted as a moment in war frozen in time (through chaos or whatever). Sounds great on paper but terrible in execution.

I stand by the fact that the level design is completely halfassed, aside from maybe the Egyptian levels, they all feel exactly the same with new skins. There's not enough different types of terrain, puzzles, and events that are exclusive to each new level.
And this is the result of the game being low budget, though it's nothing new to the series.

It's a step in the right direction, but it takes the series way too long to move forward. They've been baby-stepping the whole way which is why they'll never achieve greatness to me.
I've since given up all hope of the games ever getting back to ZOMG AWESOME good that is CV3, X68000 or Rondo long ago. Now I play CV games to beat bosses at low levels.

They're fun enough that I'll keep buying em though.
Unfortunately, that's the mentality we all have. "/

xir said:
my
Dual Frankenstein
was to put on heavy armor, and lots of defensive things, and just keep left shoulder button jumping and falling. after about a 1 min the door opens up. you dont have to fight them.
All the rooms in the final area are like this. They will open eventually. And the Stonewall ability helps a lot in this situation, especiallyif you're underleveled or didn't do all the quests to raise your max HP.

Bebpo

Banned
I forgot to mention that PoR gets the award for the first cartridge based game to CRASH on me that I can think of. Worst situation too.
I was summoning Sanctuary on the two sisters after a dozen retries since they'd keep hitting charlette out of it, and she finally got it off and there was that white flash/pause when you win and uh...it froze. Sprites just sitting there frozen in motion, no sound, nothing. Had to try a few more times to get it again and luckily it worked that time.
But man, between having PoR crash, Lost Planet crash 3 times, and getting stuck in a wall today in the Crackdown demo I've come to the conclusion that games just hate me. >_<

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Suck it up, I had the game crash on me no less than 5 times! =P

Level 1 cap
Maria & Richter
is fun
and frustrating
as hell though.

LakeEarth

Is Record 4 worth getting? I just can't get the bastard to drop it, and since he's only in the Nest of Evil you can't just leave the room and come back constantly to get it. Record 5 kicks ass though.

Sagitario

LakeEarth said:
Is Record 4 worth getting? I just can't get the bastard to drop it, and since he's only in the Nest of Evil you can't just leave the room and come back constantly to get it. Record 5 kicks ass though.

I can sell it to you if you want... I got 100% EVERYTHING (sidequests, items, mastery, etc.) :D ...

Plus, a little tip for the Nest of Evil: kill an enemy and if you don't get the item, just use the suspend option in the menu while you're still in the room. Resume the game and you will appear in the same room with brand new enemies (like if you just entered)...
Didn't get the item? Just repeat this so you don't have to fight all the enemies/levels again...

GG-Duo

so I just started this game this week, having just finished Dawn of Sorrow last week...

Man, too much Metroidvania is really boring. WALK FASTER. I want that panther soul in this game from Level 01!

Charlotte is pretty fun to play though...

FoxSpirit

Okay, finally beat it. The ending was only okay, I liked DoS' better. Played around a bit and, man,
Sister mode was such a let down. I was hoping to use their awesome attacks from their boss version. The gameplay with them is really boring for me. Richter and Maria is nice, but nothing outstanding.
For me, there's little incentive to play through the game as the other playable teams. -.-

Baron

Has a strategy guide been released for this game? I really liked the Dawn of Sorrow guide Double Jump put out. I didn't buy it, as I never felt I really needed it, but Portrait of Ruin seems somewhat subtly more difficult and I feel like a guide would be helpful.

I do intend on buying the Dawn of Sorrow guide still though, sooner rather later.

edit: actually, I think I'll order it now from Double Jump's site. I'll regret it if it sells out soon and becomes impossible to find.

Blablurn

Hmm the last part of the game absolutely sucks. I have no motivation to run through uninspired portraits to
open the last big one
I die everytime i try to beat that Snake-Thing and I'm not motivated enough to Level up.

Hmm

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
alright, where do I get that thing that stops me from getting the bad end?

I thought I was clever by fighting while
wearing the locket
bugger.

Is the spell in a painting somewhere?

castle007

Banned
catfish said:
alright, where do I get that thing that stops me from getting the bad end?

I thought I was clever by fighting while
wearing the locket
bugger.

Is the spell in a painting somewhere?

I think you get it in the
pyramid area where there is a narrow opening and you have to be a frog or an owl to get it. It is in the room with the rock that keeps falling

Top Bottom