• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cavaliers have traded Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Žiži, & pick

Ainge should have had all the leverage but I think with Butler x George going for worse trades, he must have thought he'd miss out on getting Kyrie or was shook.
Plus he didn't want to pay Thomas
Zizac looked meh in summer league and Crowder was already replaced

Still think he should have tried to get JR, JR is the true MVP of the Cavs

Man, everyone's trying to figure out who got the better of the trade and I'm here thinking this feels like the crews on two boats throwing deck chairs at each other. This has all the stink of cleaning up front office paperwork, because it sure as hell didn't alter the rosters nearly enough. Typically you trade away depth (or bad fit) for need, but Kyrie and IT are very similar when it comes to role. Boston gave up more but neither team gained what they need to take themselves over the top.

If you asked every GM who they would prefer to have, you think they pick IT? Hard to believe. You talk about the problem of relying on small sample sizes yet seem to put great weight on IT's 2016-17 season. Each team asks for much different things from their player, operate in much different circumstances, so it's hard to compare them straight up as you seem to want to do. We will see after this year.

That has more to do with age and years left in their primes than anything else. Last year, and likely this year, IT I'd probably the better player.

jwhit28

Man, everyone's trying to figure out who got the better of the trade and I'm here thinking this feels like the crews on two boats throwing deck chairs at each other. This has all the stink of cleaning up front office paperwork, because it sure as hell didn't alter the rosters nearly enough. Typically you trade away depth (or bad fit) for need, but Kyrie and IT are very similar when it comes to role. Boston gave up more but neither team gained what they need to take themselves over the top.

There is nothing left to get anyone "over the top". The NBA arms race is Jenga and Golden State pulled a piece out leaving the whole thing a wobbly mess. Both teams made themselves better in the short term and kept an eye towards the future.

Cavs got an all-star player much more suited for the sidekick role, a young 3 and D guy with a great contract, possibly the ticket to Michael Porter, and made a good case for Lebron to stay.

Celtics got a young franchise cornerstone player, don't have the Thomas max contract demand hanging over their heads and kept Jayson Tatum.

yuraya

Don't get why everyone is so down on the Celtics blowing up their team in the offseason.

Looks like many have forgotten but they were kinda terrible last year.

-They were about to be swept by the 8th seeded Bulls and then Rondo got injured.
-They barely got by a Wizards team with a 6 man roster.
-And they got destroyed by the Cavs in the most embarrassing series during the entire playoffs.

Getting rid of players and signing a bunch of new guys is a good thing for them. They might actually be a decent team now and do something in the postseason.

It must suck for IT tho. He had as good of a season as a 28 year old can have and they bailed on him. He deserves a max deal. Someone will give it to him next year.

ccbfan

Amazing trade for the Cavs.

IT is better than Irving and Crowder is that workhorse you want. Plus the Nets pick is probably top 5 pick.

Also sets them up well depending on how Lebron goes.

If he stays then resign IT and trade the Nets Pick for a George, Butler level player.

If he leaves then blow it up and have the Nets pick a cornerstone.

Ehh for the Celtic

I know they don't want to pay IT and Irving is younger but Irving haven't showed he can win without Lebron..Plus that Nets Pick could have gotten George/Butler level players.

Dragun619

So thinking about it, and damn, this is a pretty good switch for both teams though that Nets unprotected pick is a steal for the Cavs.

Trade basically allows the Cavs to still compete but also now have options to rebuild if LeBron & even Isaiah Thomas bails next summer. And Boston gets a younger All Star PG that fits well with timeline of their roster.

Shoot, Kyrie should be happy too, Dude, gets to be #1 Ball Handler again, is surrounded with younger talent to match his athleticism, and gets to prove himself against LeBron in the East. Dude is lucky to get traded into another good situation.

There is nothing left to get anyone "over the top". The NBA arms race is Jenga and Golden State pulled a piece out leaving the whole thing a wobbly mess.
I agree but it'd kind of weird to see a trade all but admit that, especially when one of the teams was in the Finals last season and the other was a 1-seed.

OK, no one's catching GS, but it's still more customary for front offices to at least look like they're trying, and for all the words being exchanged about them -- and I'm not disputing they're different -- Kyrie and IT aren't nearly different enough to make this mean anything more than shuffling contract papers around. But if you're not really trying, then the trade makes even less sense.

Loved IT. He's exciting, but I always felt he was too small for his aggressive style of play long term. And he has to come back from his hip tear. AND he's significantly older than Kyrie...

Losing that Nets pick stings bruh, but C's definitely upgraded. It'll be good seeing how Brown and Tatum develop without sharing time with Crowder.

Cavs got a great haul though. I just hope the reports are true that Kyrie is legit excited about the trade and will resign with Boston in a couple of years, as was already reported he's willing to do by a couple of league sources.

There is nothing left to get anyone "over the top". The NBA arms race is Jenga and Golden State pulled a piece out leaving the whole thing a wobbly mess. Both teams made themselves better in the short term and kept an eye towards the future.

Cavs got an all-star player much more suited for the sidekick role, a young 3 and D guy with a great contract, possibly the ticket to Michael Porter, and made a good case for Lebron to stay.

Celtics got a young franchise cornerstone player, don't have the Thomas max contract demand hanging over their heads and kept Jayson Tatum.

Assuming Irving has a great year, wont he opt out and demand an even higher contract than IT next off season?

spyder_ur

Man, I cannot freaking wait to see Kyrie Irving on an actually well-coached team that runs an actual offense, instead of being coached by Mike Brown and LeBron. It should really be something.

I like the deal, but I guess it all boils down to how you feel about Kyrie. Personally, I think with his age, skill level and accomplishments, he's one of those guys you raid the chest of assets the Celtics have been accumulating for. I didn't think Paul George, Cousins, or Butler were.

It stings, though. Isaiah was the most fun thing about watching NBA basketball for me the past three years.

This trade will be analyzed for years, and alot of that hinges on things out of the teams' direct control, like draft slotting (for BKN/LAL/SAC) and LeBron's decision (part III). It's certainly a ton to give up in terms of assets, but the Celtics got the best one and that tends to work out in NBA history.

Listening to Bill Simmons trying to spin this as a good deal for Boston is amazing

Bill Simmons on Kyrie trades a month ago:
Giving up IT+Taytum+Pick = Unreasonable. Taytum is the next Paul Pierce, he is untradeable.

Giving up Bledsoe+Josh Jackson+Pick = Would do it in a heartbeat. Jackson is a surefire bust because....well....he didn't want to play for the Celtics.

source.gif

Man, I cannot freaking wait to see Kyrie Irving on an actually well-coached team that runs an actual offense, instead of being coached by Mike Brown and LeBron. It should really be something.

I'm OK with the deal, but I guess it all boils down to how you feel about Kyrie. Personally, I think with his age, skill level and accomplishments, he's one of those guys you raid the chest of assets the Celtics have been accumulating for. I didn't think Paul George, Cousins, or Butler were.

It stings, though. Isaiah was the most fun thing about watching NBA basketball for me the past three years.

I think Cousins and Butler both would have been worth similar deals.

Definitely, but the huge contract obligation is still there.

Yeah but the owners have said they're willing to go into the luxury tax.

Assuming Irving has a great year, wont he opt out and demand an even higher contract than IT next off season?

he has two years and then a player option.
and you'd rather pay a 27 year old than a 29 year old IT as he's very small and once his athleticism goes, he will be beyond terrible.

soundtest

Banned
Definitely, but the huge contract obligation is still there.

It's better to have a huge contract with a tradeable asset that one that is not quite as tradeable.

Max'd IT wouldve been harder to move in than Kyrie barring any injuries to either person that would affect their value. So the better move is to have max'd Kyrie, easily.

MikeRahl

So if the Nets are in the tank what kind of player do you think the Cavs could get for Love and that pick at the deadline?

So if the Nets are in the tank what kind of player do you think the Cavs could get for Love and that pick at the deadline?

watch them make the playoffs lol. the east is beyond garbage and they have nothing to gain from tanking but several other teams do.

Dragun619

Cavs still needs to work on their roster. Got 17 players under contract and they would need make a spot open if DWade does get his buyout and decides to join the Cavs too.

Ots0bfj.png

Who ya'll think they'll waive or trade? Man, Shumpert has to be gone at least, right?

Cavs still needs to work on their roster. Got 17 players under contract and they would need make a spot open if DWade does get his buyout and decides to join the Cavs too.

Ots0bfj.png

Who ya'll think they'll waive or trade? Man, Shumpert has to be gone at least, right?

Iman would probably be the odd man out, yes. I'm sad as I really like the guy and what he adds to the team, but his offensive game never became consistent.

That said, those first and second units should be scary. I am excite.

Feels good as a Cavs fan. Helps in the short term with IT and Crowder and in the long term with the pick. Can't ask for much better than that. It doesn't result in use beating GS or even coming close, but that was already determined long ago because we could never afford a fourth player to make a big four (and no, injury prone Derrick Rose doesn't count, he'll be lucky to make it through the season). At least we have a good shot of making the Finals, and that wasn't going to be certain if we ended up with a crappy trade to say Phoenix or elsewhere. So, we get one last title run before Lebron likely leaves and possibly the number one pick next year. I'll take it.

Ots0bfj.png

i really don't think it can be overstated just how much better their bench will be with rose and crowder. if rose is even close to the player he was in new york, lebron should be able to spend a lot more time on the bench

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
i really don't think it can be overstated just how much better their bench will be with rose and crowder. if rose is even close to the player he was in new york, lebron should be able to spend a lot more time on the bench

Rose isn't good anymore. At all. He was average offensively last year while being terrible on defense. He's fine if they ask him to play 20 mins a night but the idea he was -good- in NY is crazy.

Also I don't see anyway Crowder isn't starting.

Rose isn't good anymore. At all. He was average offensively last year while being terrible on defense. He's fine if they ask him to play 20 mins a night but the idea he was -good- in NY is crazy.

Because Love, LeBron and Jae likely can't all start together unless you go super small.

Where do you start Crowder? SG?

3 and 4 positions are clearly spoken for, sir.

Can anyone remind me again how come everyone is convinced LeBron is leaving next year?

Just rumors at this point. Unhappy with ownership, cryptic tweets, analysts need things to talk about.

I think they'll try Jae at the 2. Might not work out but feel like its better than just rolling out JR / Shump which doesn't give you much anything.

Eh? JR wasn't healthy for a large part of last season, but when he is he was quite effective.

soundtest

Banned
Lebron aint staying, He already brought one to the land. He's out of there, especially since they're about to start a rebuild.

Amory

It must suck for IT tho. He had as good of a season as a 28 year old can have and they bailed on him. He deserves a max deal. Someone will give it to him next year.
He 100% deserves a max deal somewhere, but he can't be a max guy on a championship team. Especially not at his age.

I love IT. One of my favorite Celtics in a long time. But at the end of this season he has to make a choice between max money and a title shot, and it sounds like he's gonna go with max money.

Which I don't blame him at all for

Amory

It's amazing how many people here are in LeBron's personal circle and know exactly what he plans to do.
I think this deal is an admission by the Cavs themselves that they don't expect LeBron to stick around past this season

I think this deal is an admission by the Cavs themselves that they don't expect LeBron to stick around past this season

I think it gives them options. IT comes off the books next season giving them great cap space and a pick that they can keep to build for the future or trade for a vet to pair with LBJ.

It is exceedingly easy to imagine them moving something like TT/KL + pick for a number of good options, then bringing in another good player or 2 with their space. OR they keep the pick, IT and LBJ leave and they have a ton of cap space to start their rebuild.

Either way, it's good to have options. They now have more than they did yesterday.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Keep in mind, there's a good chance Wade comes back to join them after the trade deadline as well if Chicago can't trade his contract.

megalowho

I think they'll try Jae at the 2. Might not work out but feel like its better than just rolling out JR / Shump which doesn't give you much anything.
Jae is a versatile player but he's a combo forward, playing him at the 2 would expose weaknesses and limit his effectiveness. He'd be perfect behind LeBron though, should be coming off the bench on that team.

jmizzal

Amazing trade for the Cavs.

IT is better than Irving and Crowder is that workhorse you want. Plus the Nets pick is probably top 5 pick.

Also sets them up well depending on how Lebron goes.

If he stays then resign IT and trade the Nets Pick for a George, Butler level player.

If he leaves then blow it up and have the Nets pick a cornerstone.

Ehh for the Celtic

I know they don't want to pay IT and Irving is younger but Irving haven't showed he can win without Lebron..Plus that Nets Pick could have gotten George/Butler level players.

IT is not better then Irving, he has barley better numbers but he was the first option in Boston, Irving was playing with two other stars and still had numbers close to IT.

IT has prob maxed out as a number 1 option, now Crowder and the Nets pick is nice add for the Cavs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I mean Lebron plays 40+ minutes a night in the playoffs... they're going to have to play the 3 of them together at some point.

Them not really acknowledging SG this offseason sure does make it seem like a lock DWade is coming there at some point though

I mean Lebron plays 40+ minutes a night in the playoffs... they're going to have to play the 3 of them together at some point.

Them not really acknowledging SG this offseason sure does make it seem like a lock DWade is coming there at some point though

season will be so much fucking fun if DWade shows up in CLE too.

at least one more NBA season to love life is all us Cavs fans can hope for. (we don't ask for or expect much)

Bread

Banned
Jae could barely stay in front of 3s on the perimeter, he absolutely cannot handle 2s.

You are way too high on him, he's a good 3 and D player but his defense last year was extremely suspect.

spyder_ur

Jae could barely stay in front of 3s on the perimeter, he absolutely cannot handle 2s.

You are way too high on him, he's a good 3 and D player but his defense last year was extremely suspect.

Yeah, there has definitely been some slippage in Jae's game over the last couple years, particularly defensively. Maybe that can be fixed or was due to lingering injuries, but he seemed very slow on the defensive end last year.

I respect Jae's game, but he's a marginal, limited player. He'll be fine for the Cavs, but as a Celts fan they are well stocked to replace his contributions.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jae at the 2 sounds fucking terrible

I mean so does JR and Shump.

They're going to have to figure out a way to get Bron / Love / Crowder on the court at the same time.

I don't really think it matters much though. Positions are kind of meaningless. Crowder will get his minutes because he's one of their better players.

If IT is healthy I think they're just going to run away with the east in the regular season. Maybe it'll make Lebron happy. Their lineups this year without Lebron might not actually be god awful which has been the case since he came back. They had below replacement level wings last year who could only be on the court when Lebron was there

Top Bottom