• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cavaliers have traded Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Žiži, & pick

Jarmel

Banned
The BKN pick here seems steep. IT had one year left on his deal, and played like an MVP last year. Kyrie has two years left on his deal. You are essentially trading the BKN pick for one extra year of elite PG play. Obviously we have no way of knowing which deals were and weren't on the table (especially because Ainge seems to float a lot of shit out there) but hypothetically if you could have gotten PG or Butler for the BKN pick and filler, wouldn't you rather have them + IT next year? Wonder if Ainge panicked just a bit.

It makes sense if they weren't going to offer IT the max and he was going to walk next year while they might be able to keep Kyrie.

It makes sense if they weren't going to offer IT the max and he was going to walk next year while they might be able to keep Kyrie.

I mean, sure, but at the end of the day you aren't trading for hypotheticals (IT might not resign, Kyrie might resign). You are trading for the assets as they are, and those assets are two players who, right now, are very close in value. I have a hard time accepting that the price to upgrade from one year of IT to 2 years of Kyrie is potentially the number one overall pick in the 2018 nba draft.

Nameless

The craziest part of this trade is that I can see a scenario where Bron stays now. Love + the BKN pick gives the Cavs ton of flexibility in landing a huge piece, one that might convince both Bron and IT to re-up next Summer.

TraBuch

Banned
Crowder is overrated and Kyrie is clearly better than Thomas. Cavs fans angry at Kyrie's defense are about to have an aneurysm.

Including the Nets pick is questionable. But there's no guarantee a guy like Bagley or Ayton or Porter will ever be as good as Kyrie.

i'm not even sure that The nets are the worst team in east atm, but damn unprotected

i guess the C's have to grab a breathin big body somewhere now

Because IT will be a free agent at the end of the season. No guarantee he stays at all.

"Hey Bron, we are going to give $200 million to a 30 year old who is 5'6 and has a bad hip and draft some euro guy you've never heard of 1st overall next year...want to stick around for that?!?"

Who gives a shit about Isaiah lol. That's a regular season nba player. They were about to lose to the fucking Bulls if Rondo didn't go down. Warriors are salivating right now thinking about the possibility of him being on the court of an nba finals. 30 year old about to want a max contract. Irving is one of the best players on the league. Even if that pick gives them a player as good as him, they would have to wait too long.

Sanjuro

Crowder is overrated and Kyrie is clearly better than Thomas. Cavs fans angry at Kyrie's defense are about to have an aneurysm.

Including the Nets pick is questionable. But there's no guarantee a guy like Bagley or Ayton or Porter will ever be as good as Kyrie.

How is Kyrie clearly better than IT?

Uh did the Boston front office have a collective stroke? Oh well, watching IT dish it to Bron will be great and I think the Eastern finals still have potential.

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, sure, but at the end of the day you aren't trading for hypotheticals (IT might not resign, Kyrie might resign). You are trading for the assets as they are, and those assets are two players who, right now, are very close in value.

The pick is definitely a high addition but it's something Cleveland desperately needs considering Bron is gone next year. It's really hard to say without seeing some of the other deals on the table. Boston might have had to pay 'extra' because they're conference rivals.

Trey

Decent trade. Gives Boston the best player in the deal, gives Cleveland some insurance against Lebron leaving and options to build out the roster.

Top Bottom