• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cavaliers have traded Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Žiži, & pick

Unless they flip the BKN pick for a vet he's gone and Cleveland knows it. They are preparing for the post-LeBron era.

I don't disagree at all good sir. Simply stating that the team is better now than it was yesterday. So if he was thinking about staying, he certainly has more reasons to do so now than he did a day ago. :-D

IT was beloved by his teammates. So was Crowder. Good signs for us, as both will thrive with LBJ and I'm sure he'll appreciate not having to be the whole team all the fucking time.

I really like where we're going to be this season. Obv not good enough to beat the Warriors, but certainly better than we were last year (or, more consistent) and if DWade comes on over, we'll have a lot of fun no matter what happens.

The craziest part of this trade is that I can see a scenario where Bron stays now. Love + the BKN pick gives the Cavs ton of flexibility in landing a huge piece, one that might convince both Bron and IT to re-up next Summer.

yes!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
nba-2k18.jpg

2k better change their cover.

It's lit

It's happened before, at least with EA and Madden:

SEjc3pH.jpg

chaislip3

He didn't like Kyrie and they upgraded their team drastically. Why would this make him more likely to leave?

more likely to stay now, actually.

I just don't think there's a team that could be built there that could entice him to stay, honestly. And Dan Gilbert's still there.

But if IT goes somewhere else in free agency (which is a big possibility) then they could sign someone that could convince Bron to stay.

Plus that Nets pick could be top 3. This offseason proved that anything can happen but I'd be surprised if he didn't leave.

Fury451

Banned
So on the one hand I absolutely love Kyrie and that's a huge bummer, but on the other hand the Cavs got an absurdly good trade for him...

It wouldn't be Cleveland sports if I wasn't internally conflicted.

I just don't think there's a team that could be built there that could entice him to stay, honestly. And Dan Gilbert's still there.

But if IT goes somewhere else in free agency (which is a big possibility) then they could sign someone that could convince Bron to stay.

Plus that Nets pick could be top 3. This offseason proved that anything can happen but I'd be surprised if he stayed.

either way, they're in a better position now than they were before. that's fairly exciting. I didn't think that could happen.

Am I missing something? This trade is ridiculously one-sided in favor of the Cavs.

you aren't missing anything :DDDDD

Why? IT and Crowder aren't getting the Cavs over the Warriors and the 18 pick would need a few years to pan out.
packages, trades, and cap space my good man.

The pick is definitely a high addition but it's something Cleveland desperately needs considering Bron is gone next year. It's really hard to say without seeing some of the other deals on the table. Boston might have had to pay 'extra' because they're conference rivals.

That would be a dumb reason to pay extra. Kyrie is nice, really good even, but he's not an elite/franchise player. All the reports that Ainge was super resistant to giving up the BKN pick for PG or Butler (superior players to Kyrie) yet includes it AND IT here is sort of baffling. I mean, for a team with a shot at the Finals now, would you rather have 1 year of IT and one year of George, 1 year of IT and 2 years of Jimmy, or just Kyrie?

Can't believe Ainge sat on Crowder and the BKN pick just to move them for a sidegrade. Hell a downgrade if you go by the wins Kyrie has produced as the leading man. I'm watch all the Celtics games this season just to see how Kyrie produces now that he's the man again and out of LeHogan's shadow.

TraBuch

Banned
How is Kyrie clearly better than IT?
Because they're comparable offensive players and playmakers, with Kyrie still young enough where he has the potential to get even better, and even if he's not a good defender himself, a below average defender at PG is still better than the worst defensive player in the NBA.

Come on.

Kyrie is the best at the rim finisher in NBA history. He's a top 10 talent for sure.

Talent? Maybe, I guess. He's not one of the 10 best players in the NBA. Probably not even close tbh.

Because they're comparable offensive players and playmakers, with Kyrie still young enough where he has the potential to get even better, and even if he's not a good defender himself, a below average defender at PG is still better than the worst defensive player in the NBA.

He's younger, and he might get better, but with this trade you are only getting 2 years of that. Beyond that it's all hypotheticals. The value is 2 years of Irving, not 5-7.

Jarmel

Banned
That would be a dumb reason to pay extra. Kyrie is nice, really good even, but he's not an elite/franchise player. All the reports that Ainge was super resistant to giving up the BKN pick for PG or Butler (superior players to Kyrie) yet includes it AND IT here is sort of baffling. I mean, for a team with a shot at the Finals now, would you rather have 1 year of IT and one year of George, 1 year of IT and 2 years of Jimmy, or just Kyrie?

I have no clue what happened with Butler. That's probably the most baffling trade this season.

andthebeatgoeson

He's why LeBron would leave, but that doesn't change the fact that this trade makes him more likely to stay. You could say he's still going to leave, but that doesn't mean the trade makes him more likely to leave.
He ain't waiting on a rookie. Might as well go chase a ring. It's totally cool now.

IT will see the finals, then bounce somewhere else.

Spurs still hoping KD gets bored soon.

Sanjuro

IT isn't an old man. The Brooklyn pick makes no sense, and certifies this deal as awful.

IT is a better first option than a guy who was a first to LeBron.

Finally happened. Isaiah is Great, so while the cavs do lose out a bit, they did get a very talented player in him. But man, the Celtics gave up quite a bit.

Oh my no the Hawks are much worse than the Nets.
But this is a 5 player draft and the Nets are a bottom 5 team.
Are you drinking paint? What am I reading

The Hawks were just recently in the conference championship and hold the record for consecutive playoff appearances

The Nets are the Nets

TraBuch

Banned
IT isn't an old man. The Brooklyn pick makes no sense, and certifies this deal as awful.

IT is a better first option than a guy who was a first to LeBron.
The pick means this trade favors the Cavs overall, but Kyrie is a better player than Thomas and I don't think Crowder is good enough to balance that out. I've never liked Crowder.

I also don't think the Celtics would've been willing to give Thomas a max deal after this season.

Top Bottom