• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE STORY FOR WIIWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's another one that NintendoWiiFanboy.com got exclusively.

2dhidg1.png

Edit: Whoops. I R MORAN. Already posted.

This one was from yesterday, possibly another one still coming today:

28k67tw.png

I love how Pixel's redoing this. It doesn't look like an "upscaled" or "remade" version; it looks like he somehow "de-pixelated" the original assets, like a mosaic filter in reverse or something.

Ranger X

EmCeeGramr said:
This one was from yesterday, possibly another one still coming today:

28k67tw.png

I love how Pixel's redoing this. It doesn't look like an "upscaled" or "remade" version; it looks like he somehow "de-pixelated" the original assets, like a mosaic filter in reverse or something.

Yup. He's godly right now at exactly translating his art style into higher res.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Misery looks great too. :D Pixel knows just how much detail to add. Enough to improve the sprite but not so much that Cave's Story simple style is lost.

PolyGone

Banned
salva said:
i'm not liking the more detailed sprites

it gives cave story more of a "serious" feeling

i liked the simple, cute sprites

oh, come on. They haven't been changed that dramatically.

Shatai

Banned
Love the new art - fits perfectly. Really, with Pixel behind this effort, whatever direction he wants to take his game is perfect for me. It's just good to see an update that actually has the good spirits and help of the original developer. Great stuff, though the new music will be the first thing I switch off, I'm sure.

Ydahs

Everyones favourite banned site, g0Nintendo has an exclusive first redesigned in-game screen of the Wiiware version.
http://go+nintendo.com/?p=63170 (remove the +)

Wiiware with original sprites:
mtq9hk.png

Wiiware with redesign:
hrhekz.png

Loving the new design! Should look even better in motion.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oooh, that's gorgeous! Though I've noticed they've done a bit of a Median filter on the font and weapon icons. Bleh.

I really really can't wait for this. Pixel deserves every Wii Point that this will cost. How much is it going to be anyway?

DeBurgo said:
it's because he looks like a kid in the official art...

http://www.cavestory.org/info_7.php

BE WARNED, THAT LINK HAS SPOILERS
. So long as you don't scroll down or have a really huge resolution you'll miss the biggest offenders though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
SilverLunar said:
Wait wait wait...

I though the green pixel on the right was his nose... and the left blue pixile was his ear line...
D8

noseyquote.jpg

Like this? You're weird.
I thought it was like that at first too. :(

On another note I thought I'd beat the avatar trend early by Cave Story-fying mine!

neogaf_avatar_cs.gif

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ydahs said:
Everyones favourite banned site, g0Nintendo has an exclusive first redesigned in-game screen of the Wiiware version.
http://go+nintendo.com/?p=63170 (remove the +)

Wiiware with original sprites:
http://i34.tinypic.com/mtq9hk.png

Wiiware with redesign:
http://i33.tinypic.com/hrhekz.png

Loving the new design! Should look even better in motion.
:O

I'll never take Cave Story off my PC and PSP though. Been a fan of the damn game since early '05 that I can't take them off.

I like what they're trying to do, I just don't think it will work out as well as they hoped. While I dig the larger, more detailed sprites, they will need to up the amount of frames to prevent it from animating completely awkward.

Secondly, and no offence to the person responsible, that new rock-background frankly look pretty terrible. It seems like a resized version of the original, then crudely edited it with a much too large brush. Whatever depth and shading was there has been reduced to blobby mess. I hope it's a temporary backdrop or I'll force myself to use the original sprite-work.

SovanJedi said:
http://www.jontendo.co.uk/gfx/cavestory_sjified.gif

I dunno, I think your point is entirely to do with taste. While I do think they would be quite nice with more rounded shading and more colours as on the right, it lacks its particular style of the high-contrast low-colour variants, and that's partly what makes the game so appealing in its retro graphics. But this is just me.
I personally agree with you. While your rendition is technically well done, the low-colour, contrast palette is what make the game's style. Maybe some slight AAing could work but much more than that would be a too big of a change.

SovanJedi said:
I really really can't wait for this. Pixel deserves every Wii Point that this will cost. How much is it going to be anyway?
I think we can all agree on this. Cave Story was one of the most entertaining games I had played in years, so I want to give the guy my monies.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
If you've never played this game, it's absolutely worth getting. Great 2D game and I know one of the guys working on it, and his presence on the project gives me great faith it will be handled with care and attention.

They have a blog for the game which tells you all the changes being made, including graphical comparisons:

http://nicalis.com/blog/

Volcynika

boutrosinit said:
If you've never played this game, it's absolutely worth getting. Great 2D game and I know one of the guys working on it, and his presence on the project gives me great faith it will be handled with care and attention.

They have a blog for the game which tells you all the changes being made, including graphical comparisons:

http://nicalis.com/blog/

You must not be reading this thread much :p

Ranger X

LOL @ the sprites and art fears/complain. Are you all that stuck up?

1- The ugrade is minimal and the graphics are still NES style. It certainly isn't "16 bit-ised".

2- It's EXACTLY what you always say but less pixellated. It's like it's exactly what they originally wanted to present you. Seriously, it's the best art transition EVER. It's an incredibly perfect job.

3- Do you NES games animate better than your SNES games? Please, don't fear for Cave Story animations and charm. Those images proves they simply and totally know what they are doing.

Lastly, I know you are gamers so all you have to do is complain. But sometimes we should just shut the fuck up really.

batbeg said:
Nor did I. No matter how hard I try, I can't see how someone could see it like that. I mean... why would his nose be there?

His body is facing to the right, so it would follow that his head would be facing to the right as well. I never realized we were looking at his face head-on.

Ranger X said:
1- The ugrade is minimal and the graphics are still NES style. It certainly isn't "16 bit-ised".
I'm optimistic about the new art, but this comment makes no sense.

The resolution is way to high to be "NES style". Hell, 640 x 480 is well beyond the native resolution of any 16-bit console I'm aware of too.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ranger X said:
LOL @ the sprites and art fears/complain. Are you all that stuck up?

2- It's EXACTLY what you always say but less pixellated. It's like it's exactly what they originally wanted to present you. Seriously, it's the best art transition EVER. It's an incredibly perfect job.

3- Do you NES games animate better than your SNES games? Please, don't fear for Cave Story animations and charm. Those images proves they simply and totally know what they are doing.

Lastly, I know you are gamers so all you have to do is complain. But sometimes we should just shut the fuck up really.

I'm not really sure who you're angry at since just about everyone shares your opinion, minus the bullish attitude.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
SilverLunar said:
Wait wait wait...

I though the green pixel on the right was his nose... and the left blue pixile was his ear line...
D8

:lol

i always saw it that way too -- when the sprite is blown up it's pretty obvious that he's meant to be facing three-quarters forward, but in the context of the game it looks like he's in profile:

mtq9hk.png

Davidion

drohne said:
:lol

i always saw it that way too -- when the sprite is blown up it's pretty obvious that he's meant to be facing three-quarters forward, but in the context of the game it looks like he's in profile:
Holy shit. I've never noticed that before.

Well, score one for paying attention...

SilverLunar said:
Wait wait wait...

D8
Soooo, all this time he has been staring at us while blindly jumping, shooting, and whatnot?
Thats an odd design choice.

Sciz

Ydahs said:
...huh.

I like the sprites, I like the grass, but everything else really looks like they ran it through a 2x filter. There's just enough detail that it can't actually be the case, but it's hard to tell at a glance. There are also some (admittedly minor) tiling issues with the grass that are a lot easier to get away with at 320x240 than at 640x480.

It seems pretty nice overall, but I hope they do another pass on the art to get it up to the original's level of polish.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh well, I'm loving the redesigns so no complaints here. I'll make sure to alternate both modes on my replays just for fun, but as soon as it's released it will be glorious to see the new spritework.

SilverLunar said:
Wait wait wait...

D8
I know what you mean, I thought that before I started moving around and saw the other characters. Then I quickly realized what was going on. :lol

SovanJedi said:
Like this? You're weird.
I thought it was like that at first too. :(

On another note I thought I'd beat the avatar trend early by Cave Story-fying mine!

neogaf_avatar_cs.gif
Although I can never see stuff hosted on that jontendo site for some reason, I feel like joining the avatar fun.

Edit: hmm, I think it's a bit too early. I'll use it in the future.

Davidion said:
Holy shit. I've never noticed that before.

Well, score one for paying attention...

Me neither. Mind blown (although the new graphics fix that, so mind unblown)

I would have thought that his two eyes facing forwards prevent you from viewing him in profile.

Jazzem

SilverLunar said:
Wait wait wait...

D8

Okay, this is really spinning me out :lol I have played through Cave Story three times (And am near the end of a forth run) and I thought it was exactly how you put it. Because I'm so used to the facing-forward look I imagined it as, I honestly can't see it the way it was intended now!

Jazzem said:
Okay, this is really spinning me out :lol I have played through Cave Story three times (And am near the end of a forth run) and I thought it was exactly how you put it. Because I'm so used to the facing-forward look I imagined it as, I honestly can't see it the way it was intended now!

This is getting silly now. So Curly looked like she was facing forward too?

Jazzem

Graphics Horse said:

Yeah, I...erm...don't know?

I'm not complaining incidentally, I just can't quite get over how I never noticed that, especially as whenever he looks down it's clearly his two eyes moving down on the sprite. But no matter how hard I try, I just see him facing forward with the right line as his left eye and the left line as his ear line... That's how it looks to me.

Graphics Horse said:
His right eye and hair sort of blended together when playing the game in a low resolution. With Curly, her yellow hair made it obvious which that it was an eye.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Fuu said:
Although I can never see stuff hosted on that jontendo site for some reason, I feel like joining the avatar fun.

It's my personal webspace, so erm... sorry?

For every time you can't see a picture from my webspace you collect a SovanJedi sticker. Collect 500 of them and redeem them for a chocolate milkshake.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I like the new robot. His big metal cheeks look perfectly pinchable.

They also have a calling for illustators to sign up and do some work for them. Applications have to be sent by today.

I applied, hope they pick meeeeee! :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just noticed the blog also has a post about Rose and Camellia. :lol

Nice to see they're after people to do some art, I love well made Cave Story fanart.

SovanJedi said:
It's my personal webspace, so erm... sorry?

For every time you can't see a picture from my webspace you collect a SovanJedi sticker. Collect 500 of them and redeem them for a chocolate milkshake.
Haha, it's ok. Thought it maybe had to do with IP blocking witchraft or something but then I noticed it sometimes appears and sometimes not for me, so I can still apply to the milkshake.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I think the robot looks better with a protruding lower jaw, actually. :D

Fuu said:
I just noticed the blog also has a post about Rose and Camellia. :lol

Rose and Camellia...maybe that should be this developer's next WiiWare project.

I'm kidding. La-Mulana or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom