• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cazzie David's (Larry David's daughter) new web series 'EIGHTY-SIXED'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep comparing this this to Curb/Larry David humor? It's nothing like it nor is it trying to be like it. It's more like a mix of Louie and Aubrey Plaza humor

Kneefoil

Episode 3 had one funny moment, and ep. 4 had two. The first two episodes did absolutely nothing for me.

Could've been worse.

Daft_Cat

Heh. Not bad. She clearly has some chops. A little self-conscious maybe with all the millennial riffs, but still a promising start for a web-series. Obviously it's a bit easier for her to get exposure, but so what? Good on her for actually taking advantage of the opportunity and putting in the work. Her dad casts a pretty big shadow, so I'm sure it must've been a little bit intimidating, as well.

I promise you I'm not remotely envious of Hollywood bubble rich kids with no self awareness whatsoever.

freud2.jpeg
Please, tell us more.

border

I think the first two episodes are rather poor, and her friends are annoying. Remi herself is actually kind of insufferable there too. Watching it is actually really relatable if you've ever had a friend who has been devastated by a breakup. You want to be empathetic, but they are so obsessed over their ruined relationship that it's actively irritating. The problem is that when you're not consoling a friend and you're just watching an onscreen character complain, it kind of makes you want to stop watching.

Episodes 3 & 4 are actually really good. The only weak point was her getting in a fight over the music at the party. That felt like filler with no comedic payoff. Tight Vagina Melissa is such a funny nickname. Remi zooming in on her crotch in the Instagram photo cracks me up.

Blader

She and I went to the same school. She was an incoming freshman while I was an outgoing senior (which is, incidentally, how I met her dad too, which was very surreal). Weird to think she's already graduated. I'm getting old.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
She and I went to the same school. She was an incoming freshman while I was an outgoing senior (which is, incidentally, how I met her dad too, which was very surreal). Weird to think she's already graduated. I'm getting old.

You met Larry David? You can't just drop that, tell the story

Jake.

are you a hollywood rich kid too?

Syder

First episode was good! I'm obviously getting old because it's hard for me to tolerate these youngsters' vocal inflections and mannerisms... search party was the same way, but I still loved it.
Yeah, I had to stop watching because of this.

Every show like this is self-indulgent. It's a matter of if the self is worth being indulged.

More of, what's the message this show is trying to deliver.

Millenials live a vapid self absorbed existence. Ok got that. Knew that already, I am one. Now what's left? Pop culture references? What is this, Girls LA edition?

What made Curb so good is his constant consternation of the kind of shit displayed in this show. And a strong character identity.

Honestly, feels like she's been perhaps... dare I say indulged by others?

Like Rebecca Blacks "Friday" music video. This time its Larry David's daughter trying out the comedy genre.

And I'm left with the same thoughts with Larrys daughters show as I was after watching Rebecca Black's friday music video.

"Why on earth would you do that?!"

Blader

You met Larry David? You can't just drop that, tell the story

Ha, there's not a lot to tell. She was moving into the dorm, I was working on campus and helped a bit with that stuff (not just her specifically but freshmen in general). Students use these big laundry carts to load their furniture and other shit into the dorm rooms, she took a cart out but instead of returning it herself, LD brought it back. I hadn't seen him on campus yet -- and hadn't seen him in real life, period, until then -- so it was pretty surreal. We exchanged a few words but I really don't know what the fuck I said, I was barely breathing. :lol

are you a hollywood rich kid too?

nope, I have many loans.

Good timing. Finally caught up and finished the last season of Curb on Amazon Prime today. LD's daughter's series has a similar vibe. I just watched all 4 episodes and subscribed.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I guess it's poetic that she literally looks like female George Costanza.

No, she looks like Larry David. And it's a little disturbing.

You guys do know you're all millennials, right? Or are you doing a hipster thing where you are so much cooler than your own age and feel older?

I promise you I'm not remotely envious of Hollywood bubble rich kids with no self awareness whatsoever.

Then what's the problem? Envy anger I at least would understand, like I get pissed off watching sports drafts and seeing these kids being 5 years younger than me and bracing up to make millions and just generally being way more awesome than I could ever be. If that's not it, then what is it? It's not a rhetorical question or anything, I legit don't understand. Rich people shouldn't post about being rich? Because... Why?

Z..

Then what's the problem? Envy anger I at least would understand, like I get pissed off watching sports drafts and seeing these kids being 5 years younger than me and bracing up to make millions and just generally being way more awesome than I could ever be. If that's not it, then what is it? It's not a rhetorical question or anything, I legit don't understand. Rich people shouldn't post about being rich? Because... Why?
I would assume because it's decadent and desperate, but that's my stance on social media in general so feel free to ignore this.

Like what I've seen so far, subscribed!

ZeoVGM

Banned
This brought me to her Instagram and now I know she's dating Pete Davidson from SNL.

I want every awkward situation from Pete Davidson dating Larry David's daughter to be on film.

I think the show has a lot of good ideas, but the execution is totally off. Her delivery is flat and lacks any sort of rhythm. The cadence is very strange too.

I don't mind the fact that her life is almost entirely foreign to me. I mean, that's half the reason why Curb appealed to me. It's unapologetically about an absurdly wealthy man in showbiz who is friends with people I could never dream of meeting.

border

I thought it was pretty bad. Does it get any better after episode 1?

Yes. The first two episodes are the worst. They probably could have been good, but they are 1-2 minute jokes stretched into 6-8 minute shorts.

Episodes 3-4 are worth watching, though.

I liked the 3rd episode, I actually laughed in that one. The 4th's music felt bit like something out of Curb and the premise was much more along the lines of finding humor in the mundane.

But i do like Cazzie, I could watch an entire series of this character she's developing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I liked the 3rd episode, I actually laughed in that one. The 4th's music felt bit like something out of Curb and the premise was much more along the lines of finding humor in the mundane.

But i do like Cazzie, I could watch an entire series of this character she's developing.

Yeah the music didn't work for me, it felt way too on the nose. But the whole idea of drone laws seemed like something Costanza would complain about.

I would assume because it's decadent and desperate, but that's my stance on social media in general so feel free to ignore this.

I don't get this sense whatsoever looking at these pictures, well at least not more than I get from regular social media. I don't understand why we should hate rich people lol.

I don't get this sense whatsoever looking at these pictures, well at least not more than I get from regular social media. I don't understand why we should hate rich people lol.

I don't really mind rich people. Just some of the shit going on in Hollywood is borderline pro-eugenics.

Oh, so you're Larry Davids daughter, well of course you're going to have comedy chops despite not having any.

Seriously with this shit.

Tall4Life

I don't really mind rich people. Just some of the shit going on in Hollywood is borderline pro-eugenics.

Oh, so you're Larry Davids daughter, well of course you're going to have comedy chops despite not having any.

Well a lot of us in the thread found the show hilarious, soooooooooooooooooooo

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I don't think this is a Hollywood thing but just a human thing. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and all that jazz.

I don't think eugenics means what you think it means

It might not be, but in my mind it is, in my mind... it is.

I don't think this is a Hollywood thing but just a human thing. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and all that jazz.

Seriously? Ew and no just no.

I mean Conan o Briens dad was a... comedy legend I guess? Oh no wait, he was a doctor.

Larry Davids' dad... a clothing manufacturer. So maybe Larry should of gone into business making fucking skinny jeans.

Gutek

I mean Conan o Brians dad was a... comedy legend I guess? Oh no wait, he was a doctor.

Larry Davids' dad... a clothing manufacturer. So maybe Larry should of gone into business making fucking skinny jeans.

Should've.

People posting pictures being hot as fuck or rich as fuck or just generally living an awesome as fuck life is being pro-eugenics? Or are you referring to other shit?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I mean Conan o Briens dad was a... comedy legend I guess? Oh no wait, he was a doctor.

Ew what? People tend to think a child will have the same talents as their parents, this isn't exclusive to Hollywood and neither is it true but people still think it.

I liked it, would watch a Netflix series of. Bit of a rocky start, though Episode 3 was modern gold, Ep. 4 in 2nd place for me

Just like re: Seinfeld, the supporting cast outshines her the main char., but her deadpan creep is a bit of better acting than Seinfeld's own acting in Seinfeld was, IMO. I love it, personally

And noted reference to Seinfeld with the puffy jacket hitting

Yes and yes. It's very common for children to gain similar parental traits just from spending time in that environment. Not sure why you've taken such issue with the guys post.

Yes and yes. It's very common for children to gain similar parental traits just from spending time in that environment. Not sure why you've taken such issue with the guys post.

What environment? Larrys upbringing that shaped his world outlook from his education, upbringing must be completely different to his daughters come on already.

Or you think just by being in sheer proximity to larry david you're just going to suddenly become funny.

What the heck is this bizzarro shit

Fitts

Watched the first episode. Well, at least it serves as proof that the apple can fall well far from the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom