• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cazzie David's (Larry David's daughter) new web series 'EIGHTY-SIXED'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
You literally have no idea about anything or anyone behind the production of this web series.

Yes, children of celebrities have a built in advantage and more public interest. That goes without saying.

What do you want her to do, stop existing? Apologize for having a famous father?

Just because it isn't avoidable doesn't mean it isn't real. The film industry has become more and more of a family industry with every year, at this point maybe only 15% of actors without money or connections are able to break through.

Arkeband

Banned
You literally have no idea about anything or anyone behind the scenes of this web series.

Yes, children of celebrities have a built in advantage. That goes without saying.

What do you want her to do, stop existing?

She could hire someone to help edit the episodes so they're funny. Or maybe ask her dad if it sucks, since he's one of the most prolific comic geniuses alive.

Don't get me wrong, she has decent comedic timing, but she is 100% going for her father's humor aimed at a 30-40 year younger audience. The problem is that this isn't actually novel - SeinfeldToday has been doing it for free on Twitter for year(s?) and even that was parodied by Seinfeld2000.

"Just because it isn't avoidable doesn't mean it isn't real. The film industry has become more and more of a family industry with every year, at this point maybe only 15% of actors without money or connections are able to break through."

Show business has been about "who you know..." since forever. Also, don't just make up some bullshit percentages to try to solidify your argument.

And you're trying way too hard to find a reason to be morally against this show's existence. I'm not feeling it either, but I don't need to pretend my distaste comes from raging against the aristocracy.

Chumley

Banned
"Just because it isn't avoidable doesn't mean it isn't real. The film industry has become more and more of a family industry with every year, at this point maybe only 15% of actors without money or connections are able to break through."

Show business has been about "who you know..." since forever. Also, don't just make up some bullshit percentages to try and back up your point.

And you're trying way too hard to find a reason to be morally against this show existing. I'm not feeling it either, but I don't need to pretend my distaste comes from raging against the aristocracy.

That percentage isn't bullshit, if anything it's generous. I'm not claiming it to be an official statistic because those don't exist for Hollywood casting, but I work in the industry and I know how impossible it is for my actor friends to get work. Most of them abandoned it already.

And I'm not against the show existing, I'm pointing out that it gets inflated interest because of her last name. I don't see why that's so offensive to people when it's even in the title.

Didn't feel it, watched all of them expecting the formula to kick in. Seems like she doesn't really study her father's comedy. You know how exactly a Larry David written episode functions, this didn't have it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That percentage isn't bullshit, if anything it's generous. I'm not claiming it to be an official statistic because those don't exist for Hollywood casting, but I work in the industry and I know how impossible it is for my actor friends to get work. Most of them abandoned it already.

And I'm not against the show existing, I'm pointing out that it gets inflated interest because of her last name. I don't see why that's so offensive to people when it's even in the title.
You also talked about not giving her clicks because she's an instagram rich kid, you're jumping through so many hoops to find things to dislike about her show for whatever reason.

border

I don't think she's really going for Larry David-style humor.

It's a show about a girl who's genuinely heartbroken, and the ridiculous ways she copes with it and hopes to get back into her ex's life.

Larry David characters are never that sincere or earnest.

Didn't feel it, watched all of them expecting the formula to kick in. Seems like she doesn't really study her father's comedy. You know how exactly a Larry David written episode functions, this didn't have it.

Why should she? I'm betting she wants to establish her on voice and style. The comparisons and constant bringing up of Larry David/Curb are bizarre. Her show isn't attempting to do that kind of humor. Have you guys only ever watched Curb before? This is more like Louie mixed with Daria with a dash of Aubrey Plaza

Korey

She never said she was trying to follow Larry David's formula.

"That percentage isn't bullshit, if anything it's generous. I'm not claiming it to be an official statistic because those don't exist for Hollywood casting, but I work in the industry and I know how impossible it is for my actor friends to get work. Most of them abandoned it already.

And I'm not against the show existing, I'm pointing out that it gets inflated interest because of her last name. I don't see why that's so offensive to people when it's even in the title."

Yeah, that's kind of how any industry with an extremely high ratio of candidates to opportunities goes.

And the reason why you're getting flak is because of your first post in this thread recoiling in horror at some rich kid's dumb instagram. Kind of sets the tone. Furthermore, you're stating the obvious like it's some kind of insider secret. No shit she's getting a signal boost because of her dad.

Chumley

Banned
You also talked about not giving her clicks because she's an instagram rich kid, you're jumping through so many hoops to find things to dislike about her show for whatever reason.

And yet I still watched it to have context for what I'm talking about. I don't really care if you have a problem with me disliking instagram rich kid culture, I'm not telling you you have to feel the same way.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
And yet I still watched it to have context for what I'm talking about. I don't really care if you have a problem with me disliking instagram rich kid culture, I'm not telling you you have to feel the same way.
You never explained how she's an istagram rich kid when the article you clicked on had a picture of her with her dad and one of her next to a pool. The rest of her instagram is just a normal persons instagram.

Why do you have such a problem with this? Are pools too show-offy for you?

Seesaw15

I'm not sure how much attention you really get for being Larry David's kid. Some of your are acting like a 4 page NeoGAF thread is some kind of incredible accomplishment.

Her YouTube channel has 2000 subscribers. The first video has 50K views but subsequent ones only have 15-20K views. The fringe benefits of her pseudo-celebrity status don't really seem all that great.
Surejane.jpg
http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/larry-davids-daughter-a-misanthrope-for-the-instagram-age.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-youtube-instagram-eighty-sixed-a7692926.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.maxim.com/.amp/women/cazzie-david-2017-4

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58f7967ce4b0de5bac432c5c/amp

I'm down with Daria Meets Curb. A little rough around the edges though

I don't think Daria would want anything to do with that kind of lifestyle nor subscribe to that kind of humour.

Daria would be the type of lady to take a dump on all of it.

Man they should bring back Daria to Netflix I would love to see that.

Though I suppose they would want to age her up and not keep her in high school.

But great idea though Daria returns to Netflix! Would watch.

You never explained how she's an istagram rich kid when the article you clicked on had a picture of her with her dad and one of her next to a pool. The rest of her instagram is just a normal persons instagram.

Why do you have such a problem with this? Are pools too show-offy for you?

I would also like to know what is the problem with rich people posting about their lives which incidentally involve them being rich, I'm still legit confused by this. How is it different than a Regular Joe posting about the Subway sandwich he ate earlier today?

Seesaw15

Except none of that favorable coverage seems to have resulted in a significant number of actual views or subscribers.

Just like some people confuse what the 1st amendment means I think you're misunderstanding the benefits of nepotism in this situation.

ShdwDrake

Banned
business has been about "who you know..." since forever.

I would also like to know what is the problem with rich people posting about their lives which incidentally involve them being rich, I'm still legit confused by this. How is it different than a Regular Joe posting about the Subway sandwich he ate earlier today?

Because its everyone else's fault he feels terrible about himself and not his own.

Why should she? I'm betting she wants to establish her on voice and style. The comparisons and constant bringing up of Larry David/Curb are bizarre. Her show isn't attempting to do that kind of humor. Have you guys only ever watched Curb before? This is more like Louie mixed with Daria with a dash of Aubrey Plaza

Guess I just assumed she was inspired by her dad. I wasn't expecting 1:1 but something like Curb/Seinfeld would've been nice. But I also miss that form of comedy and don't really like Louie or Aubrey Plaza.

urfe

I thought this was funny.

I'll probably forget about it, and then remember it in a few months, and watch a bunch and laugh.

NinjaBoiX

The "lying about napping" thing raised a mild smirk but it all felt a bit smug and self satisfied and to be honest not that funny.

3/10

El Topo

Man they should bring back Daria to Netflix I would love to see that.

Daria was great and ended before it could turn stale. I love the show, but I don't think I need a comeback, unless they can find a genuinely new and interesting spin on the show.
Now a digital/disc release with the original music samples, that would be great.

Daria was great and ended before it could turn stale. I love the show, but I don't think I need a comeback, unless they can find a genuinely new and interesting spin on the show.
Now a digital/disc release with the original music samples, that would be great.

I really enjoyed Jane she was pretty cool. I think she was a lesbian by the end of the show or something. I can't remember, I think it happened in some of the movies or feature lengths.

They could age her up and we can see her deconstruct today's society.

zethren

Banned
She never said she was trying to follow Larry David's formula.

I agree. It feels more like an original take on Larry David's style, with topical and relatable content for my generation. I welcome it, and personally think this is a great (If not a little rough around the edges) start for her. I'm interested in seeing more for sure.

elwes

The first two episodes were pretty boring and stupid, but I felt that the last two weren't bad. Fourth episode was definitely the best of the four and felt like the show was starting to hit some sort of stride. It was enough for me to sub to the channel and look forward to the next episode. I would definitely watch a season of 30 minute episodes.

El Topo

I really enjoyed Jane she was pretty cool. I think she was a lesbian by the end of the show or something. I can't remember, I think it happened in some of the movies or feature lengths.

Pretty sure she was still portrayed as heterosexual. The show occasionally toys with the idea and I assume if it was made today they would maybe approach things differently.

They could age her up and we can see her deconstruct today's society.

Why bring back Daria when you can instead use a new character? I love the show, I love the character, but I think it's best to let her rest. *remembers the Beavis & Butthead return and shivers*

Karish

I have never understood people's complaints about nepotism. You would help your own kid out in any way that you could, and that's all that's happening here. Sure, does it suck for those talented with no connections? Yes. But the truth is, to me at least, it's a natural order to things that really cant be changed so people complaining about it is just kinda whiny.

lenovox1

Daria is in her early 30s now. I want to see what her cynical take on today's youths is.

border

Just like some people confuse what the 1st amendment means I think you're misunderstanding the benefits of nepotism in this situation.

Nepotism is when someone in a position of power gives you preferential treatment because of their relationship to you (usually family).

When Huffington Post covers your web series because you are related to a celebrity, that is not nepotism. I think you are confusing nepotism with the benefit of simply being famous.

LionPride

Banned
Why are there people who are first off acting like a GAF thread means anything and second off expecting Larry's comedy from her

I've never seen so much salt in one thread.

It was OK. I really laughed when I saw flashes of Larry in her. The whole time I was thinking what it would be like to have him as a dad.

Busty

Banned
Seeing as this is about a Web Series would anyone be interested in an actual OT thread for all web series like this one?

I've asked about this sort of thing before and the response is always a little lukewarm but I think there could be an 'audience' so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom