• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

andycapps

Ah, yes, the 40s when half of college football was shipped off to war.

It is true, but Georgia Tech counts the victory over Georgia in 1943, even though of the 38 "men" on Georgia's team that year, 30 were 16 or 17 years old and were too young for the draft. Georgia Tech had an on-campus V-12 program which enabled any student to sign up for the program and stay in school (avoid the draft). So Georgia Tech returned most of their team from the prior year, as well as captains from Bama and Vandy and other programs. Which is why UGA great, Dan Magill, doesn't count the 1943 or 1944 games as losses. I disagree with him, if you fielded a team, a win or a loss counts. Man, that 1942 team was great though. Beat Florida 75-0.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Scotty Montgomery will be Duke's new OC, and it was expected to promote him and Latina so they wouldn't look elsewhere. Both have been getting calls for other jobs.

So we have an opening for QBC and most think Cut will see if Tee Martin wants it. The interesting rumor...and I wouldn't even call it a rumor, more a fantasy is if we lose another offensive position coach in a year or two when Peyton Manning retires......I'm not sure he would want to coach, but if he did, he probably would like to start out under Cut before going to Tennessee I guess.

Enron

Banned
Sometimes I wonder how much Kirby Smart actually does at Bama and how much of the defensive playcalling is Saban. At least all this happened during a big coaches convention in Indy. Richt is getting a lot of interviews done right now. Rumors are swirling that Smart was close last time and that UGA is tightening the noose so to speak. He'll get a pay raise one way or the other, I think.

For those that don't know, Smart played DB there, and he was a grad assistant and then came back for a year as running backs coach.

Not to mention that he and Mike Bobo are best friends.

Rumors of a Kirby Smart sighting at the Butts Mehre building at UGA today. Totally unsubstantiated. My dad and I toured it when I was down there for Christmas, pretty cool facility. We just saw all the historical awards for Herschel and others, didn't tour weight rooms or locker rooms. Don't think we could have since the team was practicing just outside on the practice fields when we were there.

I've spent so much time at Butts-Mehre when I was in college for work I honestly don't care if I never see it again, lol.

I still have contact info for some of the folks there and for some of the guys on the radio network - but i don't think they'd substantiate any rumors for the likes of me, heh.

andycapps

Not to mention that he and Mike Bobo are best friends.

Ironically, I think that fact may be the main thing that would keep it from happening. They both want to be head coaches. Getting Smart without the head coach in waiting title will be hard, but if you give him that title, that is going to be a low blow at Bobo since he's been there forever and since his side of the ball has been performing so well the last few years.

andycapps said:
I've spent so much time at Butts-Mehre when I was in college for work I honestly don't care if I never see it again, lol.

I still have contact info for some of the folks there and for some of the guys on the radio network - but i don't think they'd substantiate any rumors for the likes of me, heh.

You're talking about the guys on the Georgia Radio Network? They probably wouldn't substantiate any rumors. And honestly, I don't think there's much to the rumors, at the moment. I do think that they'd been telling Grantham that if he wanted to leave, to go ahead, but they're too cheap to pay him his buyout to fire him. I think that Richt has had a short list for a while now, honestly. We'll see if they're willing to take a dive into that pile of gold under the Butts Mehre building so that they can actually get a proven defensive coordinator. My guess is they promote from within or get a position coach from another SEC program. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Top Bottom