• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hmm, Bad news and Good News.

Good news is, sounds like Grantham is leaving UGA for PetrinoVille.

Bad News, is it seems Vinnie Sunseri suffered a year long concussion when he tore his ACL, and is leaving early for the draft. Was a small, crafty Safety with poor coverage skills, lackluster speed, and would be better suited for an OLB spot. Doubtful to get drafted before the injury, now coming off it, stands no chance to be drafted.

andycapps

Hmm, Bad news and Good News.

Good news is, sounds like Grantham is leaving UGA for PetrinoVille.

Bad News, is it seems Vinnie Sunseri suffered a year long concussion when he tore his ACL, and is leaving early for the draft. Was a small, crafty Safety with poor coverage skills, lackluster speed, and would be better suited for an OLB spot. Doubtful to get drafted before the injury, now coming off it, stands no chance to be drafted.

Yeah, Grantham got a 5 year guarantee at 1 million a year. He owes UGA some money now, not sure how much. This could be a good thing. Hopefully Richt has already called Kirby Smart.

This was out of left field. I don't think a lot of the UGA players are happy at all with him.

@footballscoop: For those asking, I wouldn’t discount the possibility of Kirby to UGA

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There are rumors that Ed Orgeron is in Tuscaloosa.

Not sure how I feel about this.

And losing Smart would kind of suck, but Saban is the real mind behind the defense anyway so I doubt it would be that big of a loss. I kind of doubt Smart would go anywhere unless he's getting a HC position, but who knows.

You got your wish. I'm not saying Grantham is horrible, but what he did this year did not merit a million dollar salary.

I feel the same way. I just thought there was enough talent on defense to put a better showing on the field. Would love Smart, but I think most of those options from that link would be acceptable. It should be a pretty desirable position.

Draxal

About five recruits from Vandy are flipping to PSU, I know PSU is abusing the EE, but even still it's kinda low to take THAT many recruits.

andycapps

@RedditCFB: RUMOR: Kentucky DB coach Derrick Ansley headed to UGA. He was a grad assistant for Kirby Smart at Bama, adding fuel to the Smart speculation

All according to keikaku.

And then this?

@BFeldmanCBS: #Houston DC David Gibbs has been contacted by #Georgia for vacant UGA DC job, per source. Gibbs D led nation in TOs gained by a big margin.

andycapps

So smart to UGA and then Monty Kiffin to Bama.
Sometimes I wonder how much Kirby Smart actually does at Bama and how much of the defensive playcalling is Saban. At least all this happened during a big coaches convention in Indy. Richt is getting a lot of interviews done right now. Rumors are swirling that Smart was close last time and that UGA is tightening the noose so to speak. He'll get a pay raise one way or the other, I think.

For those that don't know, Smart played DB there, and he was a grad assistant and then came back for a year as running backs coach.

jjasper

I don't think you are alone thinking that. Smart probably won't get a big time job till he gets out of Saban's shadow and proves himself at another school.

Draxal

Sometimes I wonder how much Kirby Smart actually does at Bama and how much of the defensive playcalling is Saban. At least all this happened during a big coaches convention in Indy. Richt is getting a lot of interviews done right now. Rumors are swirling that Smart was close last time and that UGA is tightening the noose so to speak. He'll get a pay raise one way or the other, I think.

For those that don't know, Smart played DB there, and he was a grad assistant and then came back for a year as running backs coach.

Oh didn't know the coaches convention was this weekend, all the hiring is pretty much done during that convention.

Two people who are apparently being interviewed for the ND offensive coordinator position:

Pat Quinn (from the undefeated Brian Kelly Cinci days)
Al Borges

Lonestar

Feldman doesn't believe there's a chance we'll choose Orgeron. Interviewing Georgia's DL coach now.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 1h
Saw reports saying that Ed Orgeron is expected to join #Bama staff.. I am pretty sure that's NOT gonna happen. Never was.

Shannon B. Terry ‏@sbterry247 13m
Breaking: BOL has confirmed that #UGA DL coach Chris Wilson is interviewing w/ Nick Saban today. #Alabama #UGA

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard Orgeron is a good recruiter but not all that good of a DL coach, so I'm good with that news. Bama doesn't need help recruiting, but both the OL and DL could use work (especially OL, are we keeping Cristobal?)

andycapps

Feldman doesn't believe there's a chance we'll choose Orgeron. Interviewing Georgia's DL coach now.

LOL maybe we can just switch our DL coach for Smart. Wilson performed very well this year, though some are thinking that if we get a new DL coach from outside that he may get rid of Wilson and our linebacker coach, Kirk Olividatti.. both of whom have done very well, with most of our issues being in the secondary. Chris Wilson does seem to have been a good position coach, but his stint as a coordinator at Mississippi State makes some hesitant at UGA to bump him up to DC. If we stay internal, I think Olividatti makes more sense. 11 years with the Redskins makes me think he knows what he's doing, enough that he could handle the transition from position coach to calling plays.

OIividatti has said he's not following Grantham to Louisville, he's said previously he wants to be a DC one day. But honestly, if Smart wants to be a head coach, Richt only has a few more years left in him. He found out this last week that one of his sons is having a kid, so I think he won't have much time left once he's a grandfather.

Also, it wouldn't be the offseason without a UGA player (Shaq Wiggins) getting arrested for driving with a suspended license, for failure to appear for a previous court date.

Sulik2

So the Kiffen hire only makes sense if Saban is tried of hiring new assistant coaches. Cause who is gonna hire Kiffen for a HC job again at this point?

Lonestar

Thinking is, that Orgeron is coming off a successful interim HC gig, and is holding out for a HC job (and if not now, then any DC job he takes will probably just be for a year). Kiffin, otoh, has the reputation we all know and love. Will take years of success to get over. So yeah, I can see that as another reason Saban wanted him. Less likely that he'll leave after a year.

And Bubble Screens thrown to Cooper was about the best or 2nd best pass against Oklahoma. It's all dependent on talent, and Alabama does have that (still), unlike the last few USCw teams.

I also plan on mispelling Ogeron every possible way, until he's out of the picture. If he ends up getting hired, I better learn to type in Caveman speech.

andycapps

Thinking is, that Orgeron is coming off a successful interim HC gig, and is holding out for a HC job (and if not now, then any DC job he takes will probably just be for a year). Kiffin, otoh, has the reputation we all know and love. Will take years of success to get over. So yeah, I can see that as another reason Saban wanted him. Less likely that he'll leave after a year.

And Bubble Screens thrown to Cooper was about the best or 2nd best pass against Oklahoma. It's all dependent on talent, and Alabama does have that (still), unlike the last few USCw teams.

I also plan on mispelling Ogeron every possible way, until he's out of the picture. If he ends up getting hired, I better learn to type in Caveman speech.

The only reason to get Orgeron is if you need help recruiting. I don't think they do. And with Smart there, what position would Orgeron be coaching? Defensive line? Or is everyone assuming Smart is leaving?

About what you said, I see him bailing quickly. At either the first sign of trouble or success, he's using this as a stepping stone back to an NFL coordinating gig.

Lonestar

LSU's Jeremy Hill (RB) has decided to change his mind and not stay. He's going to the NFL, where he might actually get fined this time for punching people.

Guess the NFL would be a place for him to go, though I'd figure he might have been called up to the NFL once he got shitcanned from USCw.

andycapps

LSU's Jeremy Hill (RB) has decided to change his mind and not stay. He's going to the NFL, where he might actually get fined this time for punching people.

Guess the NFL would be a place for him to go, though I'd figure he might have been called up to the NFL once he got shitcanned from USCw.

Do the Lions need a running back?

andycapps

Was this posted the other day?

weFUHE6.gif

Jim Ross to Fox Sports?

Good Ol' JR said:
I have not yet signed with Fox but we are obviously close and are hopeful that we can finalize the contract next week. Fox provides an amazing platform for creative work and for the many projects that I am working on during the most unretired time of my life.

Fox has some potentially, amazing creative ideas for me of which I hope that we get to collaborate on sooner than later.

Can we discuss how amazing a college football game with Gus Johnson and JR would be? I don't know if it would be amazing GOOD or amazing BAD, but I want to see it.

andycapps

Rumors of a Kirby Smart sighting at the Butts Mehre building at UGA today. Totally unsubstantiated. My dad and I toured it when I was down there for Christmas, pretty cool facility. We just saw all the historical awards for Herschel and others, didn't tour weight rooms or locker rooms. Don't think we could have since the team was practicing just outside on the practice fields when we were there.

Talon

Rumors of a Kirby Smart sighting at the Butts Mehre building at UGA today. Totally unsubstantiated. My dad and I toured it when I was down there for Christmas, pretty cool facility. We just saw all the historical awards for Herschel and others, didn't tour weight rooms or locker rooms. Don't think we could have since the team was practicing just outside on the practice fields when we were there.
How big was the room for that one National Championship?

Top Bottom