• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Deacon

Why the hate for the hire?

He's known to be a great recruiter and very good with developing QB's. USC stuff was pretty bad but some coaches just aren't cut out to be HC.

guess we'll see what happens over the next 3 years

Silkworm

Hmmm, give Kiffin a year or two as OC at Bama and then when Gruden implodes as the Redskins head coach, Kiffin can take over there and continue the Redskin demise under Snyder :p

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Apparently we gave Lane a 3 year deal. Not exactly sure how I feel about that little detail.

Look, I am not wishing this, but there has to be significant health issues with a man coaching high level football in his 60s. That's a lot of stress on the body. Who knows what could happen halfway through the season, say mid to late October. And if said coach has to take medical leave, wouldn't you want the guy with significant head coaching experience to temporarily take over?

All I am saying is, Lane Kiffin for temp head coach against Tennessee.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't like him, and have enjoyed making fun of him for years.
Seemed to do well when he had a cupboard filled with 4-5 stars at USC back when he was an OC (which he now has again at Alabama).
Had Tennessee's best single year in the last 7-8 years, but got blame for the problems afterwards (something about Boyd/Petty/Alshon Jeffrey/Dozens of arrests)
Did horrendously as HC at USC (but like Shula, no one cares that it's probation based)

I just don't know. If anything, it's a sign that Saban wants to shake things up, to get out of a perceived "rut"

Those 2 years of OC @ USC must have been something. Raiders, Vols, Trogans, Roll Tide PAAWLS.

cdyhybrid

s6wH9gX.png

Lonestar

I know I'm late but that is really dumb and would be really difficult to enforce. The defense has just as much time to get set as the offense.

And LOLOLKiffin. It sucks having to pull for someone you spent your whole life hating.

incorrect

and

I didn't like Saban when he was at LSU.

cdyhybrid

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 1m
Best coaching Lane Kiffin's done: Jonathan Crompton pre-Kiffin: 50%, 9 TDs, 9 INTs. Crompton w/ Kiffin: 58%, 27 TDs, 13 INTs.

Look, I am not wishing this, but there has to be significant health issues with a man coaching high level football in his 60s. That's a lot of stress on the body. Who knows what could happen halfway through the season, say mid to late October. And if said coach has to take medical leave, wouldn't you want the guy with significant head coaching experience to temporarily take over?

All I am saying is, Lane Kiffin for temp head coach against Tennessee.

He has experiences, but all of them have been bad ( as a head coach ). Although I would love seeing Kiffin coach against Tennessee, Kirby Smart would have to be the interim in Saban's absence.

In other news, UF killer Georgia Southern just hired away Sam Houston St.'s coach Willie Fritz

Lonestar

Someone had a stat, that Alabama has on its staff, head coaches that combined for 30 wins in 2011. Saban 12, Kiffin 10, Cristobal 8.

incorrect

and

I didn't like Saban when he was at LSU.

What's incorrect?

And it's a different kind of hate. You respected the hell out of Saban and would have loved to have him as your coach. With Kiffin, you're trying to talk yourself into someone who's been a disaster for the majority of the past decade.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What's incorrect?

And it's a different kind of hate. You respected the hell out of Saban and would have loved to have him as your coach. With Kiffin, you're trying to talk yourself into someone who's been a disaster for the majority of the past decade.

Defense has less time to setup.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
In the ACC's defense, Swofford is by far the worst commissioner in college football. After all, this is the guy who got a worse television contract for his conference than the Big East, which is now dead.

Actually its Syracuse pushing the move because they want to be visible in GA and south Florida for recruiting purposes. As it stands now, they will be in those areas once every 12 years. There is some speculation that if they do away with the divisions then ND only has to play 1 or 2 more ACC games in the year to be in the running.

Lonestar

Basically.

To Auburn, having the Defense being on their side of the LOS = They're set.
To most everyone else, you'd like to at least understand strong side/weak side. I'd figure the refs would blow whistles, simply because they might not have enough time to check if it's a legal formation or not (4 in the backfield, covered players, etc)

Explain that one to me.

The defense can already be ready while the offense is getting their play call, in the huddle, or checking down to another play. If it's zone then they barely need to know where the offense is. If it's man to man or a combo coverage, they can mirror the players (or positions) who they are mirroring as that player goes to line up.

They might not be COMFORTABLE or have time to dig their heels in, but they can be ready.

Basically.

To Auburn, having the Defense being on their side of the LOS = They're set.
To most everyone else, you'd like to at least understand strong side/weak side. I'd figure the refs would blow whistles, simply because they might not have enough time to check if it's a legal formation or not (4 in the backfield, covered players, etc)

Why should the defense be given enough time to understand that?

Also, the refs should have plenty of time to count since the players have to be set. There are at least three of them who can look for that penalty.

EDIT: sorry for the DP, on my phone and me at to edit, not post new

Lonestar

You already can't hit the QB, and you can't hit the WR. Enough teams go to this style, and the game becomes a skills competition. Then the Golf Cart Recruitment Wars will begin, where teams vie for the best carts to throw footballs at.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
With Kiffin, you're trying to talk yourself into someone
Nah. No need for that. As an OC, I'm okay with the hire because I don't think Saban is an idiot. If he were hired as the HC of Bama, Battle would get a brick through his window a la Bill Curry.

You already can't hit the QB, and you can't hit the WR. Enough teams go to this style, and the game becomes a skills competition. Then the Golf Cart Recruitment Wars will begin, where teams vie for the best carts to throw footballs at.

But now you're arguing against something completely different and unrelated.

Why the hate for the hire?

He's known to be a great recruiter and very good with developing QB's. USC stuff was pretty bad but some coaches just aren't cut out to be HC.

guess we'll see what happens over the next 3 years

The USC offense got better this year after he was fired.

Also, I think they had like the worst offense in the nation in the third quarter this year. Kiffin has always been atrocious at making half time adjustments, which is amazing considering he learned under Pete Carroll and Norm Chow, two of the best coaches at half time adjustments.

Lonestar

Now that Football is on a 3 year hiatus, how about some of that Borderlands stuff Andy talked about a few weeks back?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Kiffikins is going to have a fantastic year running the Bama offense and then Florida is going to fire Muschamp and steal Kiffin away.

Lonestar

yeah, I really liked it, after not really caring about AC before now.

Even made some sort of top 10 list at GiantBomb.

Limedust

THE FUCK IS GOING ON I LEAVE FOR 5 DAMN MINUTES GODDAMN!

We should just lure Rick Flair from Charlotte and that SCar gig, and go full heel.

Lonestar

damn these updates are slow. BF4 going up a meg every 30 seconds-1 minute. Only "66 minutes to go"

:lol at DCOnline doing a 7 GB update...

Piggus

Not really. He says UW fans live in the past, but Nike U plays that at every single one of their home games, and it's the highlight of their week.

Yeah except we don't constantly bring it up as if it's some measure of success. Yeah, it's in the stadium intro with some other older clips. Big deal. You guys have been shitty against us for ten years and you're almost as delusional as Texas fans in thinking you're way better than you actually are. "This year will be the year!" And then when you predictably get your asses handed to you your whole season goes to shit and you end up with four losses. It's hilarious year after year seeing the UDUB meltdown after the Oregon ass whooping.

And fucking LOL at Alabama. Jesus god damn Christ what are they thinking?

cdyhybrid

Yeah except we don't constantly bring it up as if it's some measure of success. Yeah, it's in the stadium intro with some other older clips. Big deal. You guys have been shitty against us for ten years and you're almost as delusional as Texas fans in thinking you're way better than you actually are. "This year will be the year!" And then when you predictably get your asses handed to you your whole season goes to shit and you end up with four losses. It's hilarious year after year seeing the UDUB meltdown after the Oregon ass whooping.

And fucking LOL at Alabama. Jesus god damn Christ what are they thinking?

We don't constantly bring it up, we just play it at every single home game.

:jnc

And I don't give a shit if we beat you or not. Beating a rival doesn't define our season, unlike some other teams in this conference. UW is measured on Rose Bowls and national titles, period.

I'd say you'd understand why we lost 10 in a row if you hired someone like Tyrone, but that was basically your entire existence until Uncle Phil bought you a football team.

Piggus

Yes showing a short clip from an old game at the stadium is totally us constantly living in the past. Keep grasping, man. :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lol

SI.com puts up 2014 Top 25 rankings:

1 Florida State Seminoles
2 Alabama Crimson Tide
3 Oregon Ducks
4 Ohio State Buckeyes
5 Oklahoma Sooners
6 Auburn Tigers
7 Stanford Cardinal
8 Michigan State Spartans