• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
At the end of the day, lining up and knowing what you're doing is better than going up against a hurry up offense, then having to look to the sideline to see if the call changed, then running through your head what you're now supposed to do. Just set the defense and let them try to execute their assignments. When you have upperclassmen that understand the playbook inside and out, you can change the defense more.

As I've heard some coaches say in the past, "it doesn't matter if you're doing the wrong thing as long as everybody is doing the same wrong thing." In other words, you'll probably do a lot better if the defensive leaders just make a call and stick to it, even if it's the wrong one, than if you have a lot of confusion before the play starts.

andycapps

As I've heard some coaches say in the past, "it doesn't matter if you're doing the wrong thing as long as everybody is doing the same wrong thing." In other words, you'll probably do a lot better if the defensive leaders just make a call and stick to it, even if it's the wrong one, than if you have a lot of confusion before the play starts.

Totally agree.

andycapps

Apparently this move with Coach Lakatos resigning has been in the works for a while. Our AD had his annual review with Richt yesterday, so I'm not sure if they were waiting on that for the announcement or if the AD pressured Richt to make it happen. Grantham has told some existing recruits that they knew about this and that they expect to fill the opening within this week, and he said he's going to be calling some NFL buddies about the opening. Coaching Search website is saying that Manny Diaz and another are possibilities. For the record, I don't think Diaz would come for a secondary coaching position.

Apparently this move with Coach Lakatos resigning has been in the works for a while. Our AD had his annual review with Richt yesterday, so I'm not sure if they were waiting on that for the announcement or if the AD pressured Richt to make it happen. Grantham has told some existing recruits that they knew about this and that they expect to fill the opening within this week, and he said he's going to be calling some NFL buddies about the opening. Coaching Search website is saying that Manny Diaz and another are possibilities.

Oh God, does the nickel D work in the SEC?

andycapps

Oh God, does the nickel D work in the SEC?

Not much has been working on defense in the SEC lately no matter what people do. I just want a coach back there that's teaching good fundamentals.. Angle to the ball, proper tackling technique, playing closer to the line but not getting beaten every time, etc. This season they were frequently playing 10 yards off the line and then still getting beaten deep because they were so confused about who they were supposed to cover.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...hn-swofford-favors-title-game-qualifying-redo

tl;dr: ACC wants Florida State to not have to play Clemson in regular season and then have them face off in the ACC CCG without actually moving them out of the division.

Longer version: If the NCAA relaxes some rules regarding divisional play in conference, the ACC would like to look at how often teams play other teams inside and outside their divisions, and wants the autonomy to select the top 2 teams to play in the championship game, regardless of what divisions those teams might be in.

Longest version: click the link.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
http://espn.go.com/college-football...hn-swofford-favors-title-game-qualifying-redo

tl;dr: ACC wants Florida State to not have to play Clemson in regular season and then have them face off in the ACC CCG without actually moving them out of the division.

Longer version: If the NCAA relaxes some rules regarding divisional play in conference, the ACC would like to look at how often teams play other teams inside and outside their divisions, and wants the autonomy to select the top 2 teams to play in the championship game, regardless of what divisions those teams might be in.

What the hell is the point of divisions at that point?

FyreWulff

What the hell is the point of divisions at that point?

Not really anything except travel schedules.

They let the ACC do that though, every conference is going to start optimizing by protecting higher ranked teams so they give each other a boost when they're put in the CCG against each other.

tl;dr just another step along the road to superconferences

Limedust

Or, in this new age of HUNH, where the point of teams is to try to make your defense irrelevant, complicated defenses and specialized sub packages are now a detriment, instead of a plus.

I like this comment from another forum:

What I noticed tonight was AU in a "huddle" for almost ten seconds and then spinning around into a new formation with only a few seconds before the clock ran out and snapping the ball within two seconds of breaking huddle. Earlier, I had thought that allowing only 6-8 seconds between snaps would balance the game again, but it obviously won't. A new rule needs to apply to how many seconds from huddle to snap. Even if the defense is not allowed to sub, it at least deserves the time to get set (something HUNH teams are not doing now)...

So more bullshit that isn't settled by actually playing football. Awesome.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
They never bothered to offer Golden.

Here's a reason why.

Man, I guess we did break them. I actually think Golden is a decent coach, but that's relative to Randy Shannon and these sanctions as well. I think he didn't want the PSU job because of 2 more years of sanctions.

I just wanna know who our next OC will be. Cut surely has someone in mind.

In the ACC's defense, Swofford is by far the worst commissioner in college football. After all, this is the guy who got a worse television contract for his conference than the Big East, which is now dead.

In the ACC's defense, Swofford is by far the worst commissioner in college football. After all, this is the guy who got a worse television contract for his conference than the Big East, which is now dead.

Not quite. The Big East rejected a 9 year contract that was worth between 130 million - 150 million per year, depending upon the source, and never got a better one and the league (as it was known then) is now dead. The current ACC contract that was amended in 2012 is worth roughly 240 million per year for the next 15 years.

That's not to say the current ACC deal couldn't be better, but it's really driven by football. Some more success on the gridiron (hello, Florida State MNC) would ultimately be good for ratings and therefore be good for the bottom line. The ACC really needs Clemson to remain a top 10 program and for Miami and Virginia Tech to make it back. Anything schools like Louisville, Georgia Tech, NC State, etc., can do to help would naturally be appreciated.

Not quite. The Big East rejected a 9 year contract that was worth between 130 million - 150 million per year, depending upon the source, and never got a better one and the league (as it was known then) is now dead. The current ACC contract that was amended in 2012 is worth roughly 240 million per year for the next 15 years.
Thanks USF and Co! Dumbfuck presidents.

And the NCAA proposals are a bunch of bullshit. I hope nobody in here supports that in good conscious.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Kevin Steele is now staying at Alabama.

Must of finally had a conversation with Petrino, and then realized...
ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif

Kevtones

Not really. He says UW fans live in the past, but Nike U plays that at every single one of their home games, and it's the highlight of their week.

KENNY WHEATON IS GOING TO SCORE

I was at the game
in the Washington section

Best part is that in the coming years, Oregon advertised football tickets in the greater Seattle area by showing that clip. Mega troll.

That's not to say the current ACC deal couldn't be better, but it's really driven by football. Some more success on the gridiron (hello, Florida State MNC) would ultimately be good for ratings and therefore be good for the bottom line. The ACC really needs Clemson to remain a top 10 program and for Miami and Virginia Tech to make it back. Anything schools like Louisville, Georgia Tech, NC State, etc., can do to help would naturally be appreciated.

Don't forget that Swofford sold all our Tier 3 rights as well.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Baker Mayfield's appeal to Tech to get his release to play for OU was denied. This whole thing is a little bit confusing as there are apparently multiple appeals going on, but what I'm hearing this means is that even if he wins his NCAA appeal to not have to sit out a season (which I can't imagine he'll do) he can't even join the team at OU for a year since we didn't release him (meaning that without the release he can't even join the team and practice but not play). I'm unclear on that "not even being able to practice for a year" part, but at the end of the day, what all this means is that he wouldn't be eligible to play in a game at OU until 2016.

Looks like after that interview the other day, where he basically said he hasn't even considered what would happen if he couldn't play at OU since he thought he had such an airtight case, he's going to have to start considering what to do.

::edit::
LOL 'Bama.

squicken

L

Looks like after that interview the other day, where he basically said he hasn't even considered what would happen if he couldn't play at OU since he thought he had such an airtight case, he's going to have to start considering what to do.

This guy can go flip burgers. He's not anything special, and while I think Knight was playing out of his mind in the Sugar Bowl, OU has no need for this dude and his drama

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This guy can go flip burgers. He's not anything special, and while I think Knight was playing out of his mind in the Sugar Bowl, OU has no need for this dude and his drama

Preaching to the choir here.

Since he's apparently too proud to go to a smaller school like Houston or ECU, and has shown repeatedly that logic doesn't particularly enter his decision making process, and has enough ego to think he can just go anywhere in the country and have his way, and since finances don't appear to bother him or his family in this whole thing, I'm guessing the next step will be attempting to walk on at an SEC school. Personally, if I were in his place, I'd probably be enrolling at North Texas.

Preaching to the choir here.

Since he's apparently too proud to go to a smaller school like Houston or ECU, and has shown repeatedly that logic doesn't particularly enter his decision making process, and has enough ego to think he can just go anywhere in the country and have his way, and since finances don't appear to bother him or his family in this whole thing, I'm guessing the next step will be attempting to walk on at an SEC school. Personally, if I were in his place, I'd probably be enrolling at North Texas.

Yep, he's from the Denton area too is he not? Or Sam Houston State has had a good team the past few years if he wants a shot at winning. But no he's way too good for a high tier FCS program. Way too special....

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Andrew Gribble ‏@Andrew_Gribble 11m
Can't over-emphasize how little exposure Kiffin will get at Alabama. Nussmeier talked to reporters 4 times in 2 years.

Won't be able to hear him, and barely will see him, till August.

Top Bottom